Only a "Fool" Would Believe the 5th Park is Near...

Funmeister

Original Poster
I think his take is interesting...if it wasn't for the fact that Disney parks are in such bad shape. They (could) have what it takes to compete now...just fix it.

IMFearless

I think Disney Quest will definitely be the next thing to go.

The quicker they can turn that into some sort of retail the better from their point of view - the only thing holding them back is that they haven't yet found another company who is willing to pay for the transformation.

IMFearless

With all seriousness, a fifth gate could be added fairly easily (comparatively speaking) if they were to build to the East of the main TTC parking lot. The other side of World Drive where the STOL is.

They could simply reconfigure the Epcot monorail slightly to add in an additional stop going both to and from Epcot. Parking could then be accommodated at Epcot and TTC without the need for more trams.

Guests arriving from a resort could have a bus loop. That parcel of land is relatively large and suitable for building.

With attendance increasing year on year they will get to a point where they will have no option but to build.

I agree with Epcot needing major work next, but looking 10 years on if DHS and AK are pulling greater numbers they may get to the point where they build a 5th gate not to extend a guest's existing stay, but to accommodate it in the first place.

Siren

With all seriousness, a fifth gate could be added fairly easily (comparatively speaking) if they were to build to the East of the main TTC parking lot. The other side of World Drive where the STOL is.

They could simply reconfigure the Epcot monorail slightly to add in an additional stop going both to and from Epcot. Parking could then be accommodated at Epcot and TTC without the need for more trams.

Guests arriving from a resort could have a bus loop. That parcel of land is relatively large and suitable for building.

With attendance increasing year on year they will get to a point where they will have no option but to build.

I agree with Epcot needing major work next, but looking 10 years on if DHS and AK are pulling greater numbers they may get to the point where they build a 5th gate not to extend a guest's existing stay, but to accommodate it in the first place.
Disney is going to have to add a fifth gate sometime within this decade. If Universal opens a third gate -- Disney will lose a substantial amount of market share.

ETA: I don't want Disney Quest to close -- just update it.

BiffyClyro

I think Disney Quest will definitely be the next thing to go.

The quicker they can turn that into some sort of retail the better from their point of view - the only thing holding them back is that they haven't yet found another company who is willing to pay for the transformation.

Disney quest is going isn't it? What happened to that NBA experience talk?

Also and believe anyone actually paid to go inside Disney quest.

IMFearless

Disney Quest doesn't really fit the TDO model of selling expensive merchandise, food, and add-on's which they are so hell bent on in other parts of the property.

It is also in need of an update. My guess is it doesn't increase revenue or drive attendance, unlike the water parks which I think are a big pull to guests from cooler climates.

Personally I can't see them spending the cash on it.

IMFearless

The can't even get a night show to work these days I'm not holding my breath for a 5th theme park anytime soon

Me neither, but I would think perhaps 10 years down the line, if the economy stays on track and the growth in attendance continues, they will get to a point where they may have to think about it.

The expansions at DHS are unlikely to create additional spare capacity, in so much that the new attractions are likely to increase attendance so much that the park will be operated very full most days.

I think to some extent the same is true of AK, as the walkways and layout of the park doesn't lend itself to huge increases in attendance.

Epcot is the exception with its vast infrastructure and expansive empty space.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Me neither, but I would think perhaps 10 years down the line, if the economy stays on track and the growth in attendance continues, they will get to a point where they may have to think about it.

The expansions at DHS are unlikely to create additional spare capacity, in so much that the new attractions are likely to increase attendance so much that the park will be operated very full most days.

I think to some extent the same is true of AK, as the walkways and layout of the park doesn't lend itself to huge increases in attendance.

Epcot is the exception with its vast infrastructure and expansive empty space.

I'm all for it but first fix what they have first, then build a 5th.

BrerJon

Universal has two fully built out parks, struggling for expansion space, so it makes total sense for them to want a third main gate.

Disney though? DAK, Epcot and DHS all have plenty of space for expansion and unused/closed attraction areas. Make a list of attractions you'd want in a fifth gate, and I bet you could find room in the existing parks for them.

At the moment you have one full park and three half parks, when they get to the point where all four are fully built out... then let's talk fifth gate.

DisneyFans4Life

I'd love to see a fifth gate as much as anyone, but I agree that the work they're doing on the parks needs to get completed first. There is so much that can be done at these parks that adding a 5th gate now wouldn't solve anything. Epcot and DHS are struggling to find their identity/theming...so what identity/theming would a 5th gate take on?

stretchsje

The article is correct that Universal is absolutely clobbering Disney. Universal's market share is increasing as quickly as Disney's is decreasing. Iger is clearly counting on Star Wars / Avatar / etc being enough to combat this but I doubt that will be enough to combat Nintendoland and an entire new 3rd gate from Universal. I hope there are more sensational, marketable additions in Disney's pipeline.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The article is correct that Universal is absolutely clobbering Disney.
Lol. No.

Universal's market share is increasing as quickly as Disney's is decreasing.
I'll make this simple. You and I each sell apples.

Last Year
I sold 100 apples (91% market share)
You sold 10 apples (9% market share)

This Year
I sold 120 apples (Increase of 20 apples, 86% market share)
You sold 20 apples (Increase of 10 apples, 14% market share)

I sold 90 more apples than you last year and I sold 100 more apples than you this year. I increased by more apples than you year-over-year. However, your market share "grew" as a percentage relative to mine because you started with a smaller base. When the bases are such different sizes, percentage-based statistics like market share are just about meaningless. Market share only matters if the market is static. When the market is growing in total, smaller players are going to show larger percentage increases than larger players.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom