Online Dining Reservations No Longer Allow Multiple Reservations

awilliams4

Original Poster
I appreciate that this is now in place. I have violated this myself on occasion and am doing so again with my trip in June.

Just FYI, for those with existing dual reservations in place prior to this policy being enforced, it seems those will still be in place for you. I just logged in and checked and I have a couple of reservations like this that are still in place. I intend to cancel them however the day prior to or day of for the ones I don't intend on keeping.

I am content that there is now oversight to prevent me from violating these rules going forward.

devoy1701

I never understood why it was so hard to choose one restaurant you wanted to go to that day. Just pick something and move on! We usually mix up the palatte every day or so to get a variety in, and if we decide we're not into a sit down meal when we get there that night we'll cancel it, but why book multiple ressies for one meal time? Very inconsiderate since we all know how hard it is to get into some of these places!

Glad this system upgrade is finally in place!

awilliams4

Original Poster
I never understood why it was so hard to choose one restaurant you wanted to go to that day.

One reason why it may be difficult is Disney changing their hours all the time.

When we go in the summer, we get a late start and prefer to hit parks that stay open the latest.

When we made our ressie's for June, Hollywood Studios was scheduled to close at 8. Our planning was that if Hollywood Studios will in fact close at 8, then we will dine at MK instead because 8 won't be late enough for what we want to do that night. We however knew that Star Tours 2 would be coming out and are already very well aware that Disney changes their times, ALL THE TIME, at the last minute.

Sure enough, Hollywood Studios now closes at 10:00 with a 10:30 Fantasmic. That changes our plans, we are now comfortable with going to Hollywood Studios that evening since we will have more time and now we plan to eat there using our other dining reservation.

It is not I that can't make up my mind, it is they.

mickeysshoes

I sometime make a ADR for 4 and then make one for 2 somewhere else in case the picky DDs dont want what we are having...IE...Flying Fish or Artist Point. But will call and make the adjustments once i know what they want to do.

awilliams4

Original Poster
I sometime make a ADR for 4 and then make one for 2 somewhere else in case the picky DDs dont want what we are having...IE...Flying Fish or Artist Point. But will call and make the adjustments once i know what they want to do.

Hmm, I wonder if the 4 versus 2 approach does not trigger the block. I can see how it can be argued that there are 6 your pary and this is not a dual booking.

I can see the other side suggesting that one account is used for the 4 while another account must be used for the 2.

mickeysshoes

Hmm, I wonder if the 4 versus 2 approach does not trigger the block. I can see how it can be argued that there are 6 your pary and this is not a dual booking.

I can see the other side suggesting that one account is used for the 4 while another account must be used for the 2.

Very good question..not sure if it will or not :shrug:

devoy1701

One reason why it may be difficult is Disney changing their hours all the time.

When we go in the summer, we get a late start and prefer to hit parks that stay open the latest.

When we made our ressie's for June, Hollywood Studios was scheduled to close at 8. Our planning was that if Hollywood Studios will in fact close at 8, then we will dine at MK instead because 8 won't be late enough for what we want to do that night. We however knew that Star Tours 2 would be coming out and are already very well aware that Disney changes their times, ALL THE TIME, at the last minute.

Sure enough, Hollywood Studios now closes at 10:00 with a 10:30 Fantasmic. That changes our plans, we are now comfortable with going to Hollywood Studios that evening since we will have more time and now we plan to eat there using our other dining reservation.

It is not I that can't make up my mind, it is they.

but in this case, you would end up cancelling your MK ressie when you book your DHS ressie, right? So there's no taking advantage of the system there.

Maybe I just think differently than others, but I want to eat in these restaurants just as much as other people do, so i'm not going to block someone's ability to book just because I can't make up my mind on which restaurant I want to eat at.

mickeysshoes

We are a party of 4...and sometimes I also will make 2 ADR's one for 2 (me an DH) and one for 2 (DD's) and around the same time but different locations. Again because they dont want what we are having or they want to go to a different park...so we can have a "date night" DD' are 19 & 17 so old enought to go on own. So does this new block prevent me from doing this????

JIMINYCR

I never understood why it was so hard to choose one restaurant... We usually mix up the palatte every day or so to get a variety in, and if we decide we're not into a sit down meal when we get there that night we'll cancel it, but why book multiple ressies for one meal time? Very inconsiderate since we all know how hard it is to get into some of these places! Glad this system upgrade is finally in place!

When I read this change was taking place and the reason why, I also couldn't believe people were being so inconsiderate of others. Disney should have been on top of this long ago. Hopefully they were charging people for those no show reservations. Before we make our reservations we look at our trip plan, talk about what restaurant we want to try, the type of food we want and reserve that place. I know not everyone plans their trip like we do, some like to be spontaneous but its not that difficult to make decisions at least as to which place to dine so as to not block someone else out. If they cant make up their minds then they risk being left out. There's only so many seats available so make some decisions people.

NeedMoreMickey

My sister and I walked up to LeCellier one Sunday afternoon when it was raining very hard, the park was empty, a group of 4 other people walked in around the same time. When we asked if they had a table the CM was ready to seat us until she found out it was only 2 of us then she said they didn't have anything available. Since then two different times I have tried to make reservation for LeCellier on-line for 2 and it was not available. The second time I changed it to 4 people, same time, same day and we got in. We showed up an hour early and told them that it would be just 2 of us because our friends changed their minds and would not be joining us.

ptaylor

Premium Member
When I read this change was taking place and the reason why, I also couldn't believe people were being so inconsiderate of others. Disney should have been on top of this long ago. Hopefully they were charging people for those no show reservations. Before we make our reservations we look at our trip plan, talk about what restaurant we want to try, the type of food we want and reserve that place. I know not everyone plans their trip like we do, some like to be spontaneous but its not that difficult to make decisions at least as to which place to dine so as to not block someone else out. If they cant make up their minds then they risk being left out. There's only so many seats available so make some decisions people.

People make 3 or 4 reservations for the same timeframe all the time, then just go to the one they fancy on the day. It leaves people unable to make reservations, and leaves Disney with empty tables due to no-shows. This new system should help a lot.

lebeau

I haven't tried, but this seems like it would be so easy to get around. Just use a different name, phone number, e-mail address, etc.

I guess kudos for trying. But I doubt this will prevent people from abusing the system if they want to.

DisneyJoe

I always thought that they should have a small % of tables reserved for walk-ups only. If a restaurant has 40 tops, maybe 8-10 are for walk ups only...

8-10 out of 40 is a small % ???

I'd do 2-3 tables out of 40 for walk-ups, maybe.

If the walk-ups don't get filled, they lose revenue.

I agree that if people double-book, they are also losing revenue, but this change is meant to reduce that.

I agree that if people double-book, they are also losing revenue, but this change is meant to reduce that.

We have had Disney associates tell us that they do reserve a small number of tables at certain locations for walkups. We have had success with this at Yak & Yeti, San Angel Inn and Teppan Edo.

devoy1701

That was bad math. I meant to be at about 10%, not 25%. I should have said 4-5. :wave:

DisneySaint

If there's one thing I drew out of many years of making dining reservations, it's just "go there." So many people would get so incredibly disappointed when they couldn't book their favorite restaurant 4 months before their trip (in Disney terms, anything less than 6 months is "way too close to your trip"). But in my personal experience, no reservation 95% of the time just means you'll have to wait a bit, but you'll get in.
My parents, for example, love Ohana but never want to commit a day or time to make a reservation. Plus they are those "last minute" people. But every time they come, without fail, they walk up and get a table after 30 mins to an hour. This is especially true at Disney because people's plans change and they don't feel like going to wherever their reservation is. I don't remember the numbers but I know it was some exorborant amount of people that no-show to reservations.
Now, for some things like CRT, Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's the story a little bit different. Those are inevitably more like to have people show to their reservations because a lot of times peoples entire vacations are contingent on that one meal. But Mama Melrose's, Kona Cafe, Whispering Canyon even ... just go. Trust me, they don't WANT to lose your business.

In regards to table top size, think of it from a business standpoint because that's what WDW is ... a business. Sitting 2 people at a 4 top table is silly business practice. They are going to do everything they can to sit 4 at the 4 top. It's double the people and thus double the profit. That's why parties of 2 can't book a 6 top table but could still potentially get it on a walkup when a party of 6 no-shows.

worldfanatic

Long overdue!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I'll be interested to learn exactly how extensive the enforcement will be.
I'm sure this forum will help.:animwink:
Stay tuned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom