One "vision" of the future for DLR

thequeuelinelectures

Original Poster
Over on the sequel thread, TheVisionarySoul posted this mega rumor drop of alleged projects and cancellations that was potentially endorsed by some of our trusted insiders. I wanted to start a thread to focus on the Cali side of these rumors since the other thread is mostly sticking to WDW

Since some of you were wondering what is on the table and what isn't, here's the latest update from a friend. Take it with a grain of salt, but this particular source has been mostly accurate in the past.
Status of Active Projects
DL:

Tomorrowland Redo - Infinitely Delayed
Runaway Railway - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Galaxy's Edge Interactive Phase II - Infinitely Delayed.. enjoy that Sims game in the meantime
Splash Mountain re-theme to Princess and the Frog - timeline delayed by 8 months
DCA:
Marvel - All still happening, just timeline delayed by 8 months
WoC - New Enhancements are cancelled
Hollywood Backlot Phase 3 - Infinitely Delayed
DLH:
DVC Expansion - still moving forward, just timeline delayed by 8 months
Frontier Tower refurb - Timeline accelerated by 6 months
Paradise Pier:
Refurbishment / re-imagineering delayed, no ETA

These aren't terribly shocking to me, but hopefully this means we'll see the Avengers E ticket come to fruition. Sad to see things like tomorrowland and GE improvements get kicked down the line even further

The EPCOT leak confirmed Coco as an eventual possibility but that doesn't seem to carry over to Pixar Pier like we'd hoped

PostScott

Over on the sequel thread, TheVisionarySoul posted this mega rumor drop of alleged projects and cancellations that was potentially endorsed by some of our trusted insiders. I wanted to start a thread to focus on the Cali side of these rumors since the other thread is mostly sticking to WDW

These aren't terribly shocking to me, but hopefully this means we'll see the Avengers E ticket come to fruition. Sad to see things like tomorrowland and GE improvements get kicked down the line even further

The EPCOT leak confirmed Coco as an eventual possibility but that doesn't seem to carry over to Pixar Pier like we'd hoped
Given that these are correct, does that mean that splash mountain will close down in 8 months from when the parks open?

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Tomorrowland and EPCOT are facing the same tune... both passed their “futuristic” setting and have needed updating for a while, and timing for their updates (9/11, recession, pandemic, etc.) keeps coming at terrible times with both. Can’t wait to see someone in charge that honors both of these projects with the respect and creativity they deserve! So much potential here!

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Given that these are correct, does that mean that splash mountain will close down in 8 months from when the parks open?

There have been conflicting rumors on Splash's timeline- soon after the announcement people were saying 2022 since the redo is still in it's early stages creatively. More recently, someone said it wouldn't reopen.

I believe the 2022 timeline, so I'm guessing it's a potential 2023 closure now.

SuddenStorm

I wonder if the 8-month Marvel delay means from Covid shutdown in March or from the original opening date (presumably) or from this point?

I'd assume the original planned reopen. So it's now planned for a March reopen- which seems smart, since the parks should be back to normal by then.

Live entertainment and meet and greets are the land's bread and butter- opening a land that relies on character photos during a time when those aren't allowed would be foolish. It can also act as a pull to get people to DCA once travel is kicking back up, and will get people there during the Spring, the only season Disneyland hasn't been able to successfully exploit in recent years, usually relying on lackluster events like 'Pixar Fest'.

BayouShack

I prefer they hold off touching Tomorrowland until they make better creative choices. Chances are they’ll do something that irreversibly scars that corner, like rip out Autopia/Subs for a massively out of scale Tron clone that looms behind Matterhorn.

Stay away from Fantasyland too, until they can be trusted to build new experiences instead of stripping down old ones for layovers

J4546

i want them to tear down paradise pier hotel and make a new expansion on that parking lot that goes under the road like tokyo disneysea expansion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

There have been conflicting rumors on Splash's timeline- soon after the announcement people were saying 2022 since the redo is still in it's early stages creatively. More recently, someone said it wouldn't reopen.

I concur with this, since the rumors from a poster on “that other site” seemed implausible from a workload perspective unless TWDC simply decided to mothball the ride for well over a year while WDI 3D imaged, sketched/designed, and did the recording/voice work for the new ride.

PostScott

I prefer they hold off touching Tomorrowland until they make better creative choices. Chances are they’ll do something that irreversibly scars that corner, like rip out Autopia/Subs for a massively out of scale Tron clone that looms behind Matterhorn.

Stay away from Fantasyland too, until they can be trusted to build new experiences instead of stripping down old ones for layovers
I know that this discussion is in another thread somewhere but yeah I totally suspect that autopia and Nemo are going. Whether it'll become a fantasyland expansion or tomorrowland expansion is up for discussion

George Lucas on a Bench

Most of these projects are unimportant anyway. Even the Tomorrowland redo. What are they going to do? I guarantee it won't include Rocket Rods or the PeopleMover so I don't care.

Phase II AKA fixing Galaxy Edge? You need military dynamite to fix that gigantic flop, although it probably wouldn't look any different afterward.

Most people here seem to be expecting Marvel Land to be a disaster area without it even being finished, although maybe it's because it literally has looked like a disaster area for the last year or so.

TP2000

That's a great point, and applies to pretty much every concept on that future project timeline. Tomorrowland. Fantasyland. Paradise Pier. Hollywood Land. Eastern Gateway. Etc.

Until Josh D'amaro can establish himself in a post-pandemic world, while his boss Bob Chapek worries about trying to restart movie studios and keep child ography off of Disney+ so they don't fall down the Netflix Cuties trap, I have no faith that any good decisions will be made for any American park.

It was heartening to see them doing some serious refurbishment work from the recent Anaheim aerial photography. That's a good sign. But regardless of how top quality Josh D'amaro is, we need to get beyond this silly Covid era and get back to normal before any serious decisions are made for the parks that are bigger than finishing an already started refurbishment, adding a cheesy DVC kiosk, or debuting a new AP popcorn bucket.

Bob Chapek has already proven himself repeatedly to be a total DB and a clueless dolt. Josh D'amaro needs to get to a post-Covid era before he can really spread his wings and make a positive impact.

Until then, I don't trust anyone or anything.

Last edited:

choco choco

i want them to tear down paradise pier hotel and make a new expansion on that parking lot that goes under the road like tokyo disneysea expansion

They don't even need to tear down Paradise Pier Hotel. There's plenty of room south of the hotel for sizable park expansion and it too can be easily reached by a tunnel from DCA.

choco choco

I mean, I've basically been saying this for the bulk of the Bob Iger era, and will basically continue to say under the Chapek era, since he was his lieutenant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They don't even need to tear down Paradise Pier Hotel. There's plenty of room south of the hotel for sizable park expansion and it too can be easily reached by a tunnel from DCA.
I think it would be just as easy and probably better overall to lower Disneyland Dr again and put an at-surface bridge like for DTD.

Pacnw

I would disagree. That hotel is an eyesore that is all too Visible from the park. Tear It down and at least replace it with a Victorian style seaside resort hotel that would provide a more fitting backdrop to Paradise Pier.

I do agree that the lot south of the hotel would be ideal for a park expansion.

thequeuelinelectures

Original Poster
Most of these projects are unimportant anyway. Even the Tomorrowland redo. What are they going to do? I guarantee it won't include Rocket Rods or the PeopleMover so I don't care.

Phase II AKA fixing Galaxy Edge? You need military dynamite to fix that gigantic flop, although it probably wouldn't look any different afterward.

Most people here seem to be expecting Marvel Land to be a disaster area without it even being finished, although maybe it's because it literally has looked like a disaster area for the last year or so.
I think the latest big Tomorrowland plans did include the peoplemover. One of the biggest rumored items was getting a larger custom version of Tron that used sections or maybe all of the PM track layout but actually modifying the layout for the speed correctly this time

mikenatcity1

Some are saying it may not reopen? Disney has made multiple points to say that both versions (DLR and WDW) would be open once the parks reopened. It would be odd to see them just shut this down now, especially with so many other projects ahead of it.

PostScott

I can get a sense of the distastefulness George has for the state of Disney, he's going on a rampage in other threads too 😂

MarvelCharacterNerd

I can get a sense of the distastefulness George has for the state of Disney, he's going on a rampage in other threads too 😂
I think @George Lucas on a Bench is grumpy because he wants to see things done as well as they were back in the day. And if they are, then he's happy in spite of his grumpy exterior.

1600295278669.png

Okay, yes, I just wanted the excuse to post that pic. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom