One Sentence Competition, Season 6, Episode 2 - Opening the Vault

DisneyManOne

The Rocketeer's Greatest Battle!

Billy-Campbell-title-character-The-Rocketeer-Joe.jpg

With Star Tours now irrelevant, the ride system has been transplanted to Sunset Boulevard, where we can join the Rocketeer on a mission to stop the Nazis -- who want revenge on the helmeted hero after their latest scuffle led to the loss of their most trusted spy, Hollywood heartthrob Neville Sinclair -- from destroying Hollywood in the name of their regime!

DashHaber

Original Poster
Final Round Critiques:

@b-wolf95 – Southern Wind Club
No worries about mixing up scenes together! Honestly, the combination is a rather fun idea. Fine dining in a 1930s zeppelin would make for a fun setting in a restaurant, and adding in the mix of windows showing an aerial battle between the Rocketeer and high-flying villains would add a nice thrill to the meal.

@Ludpat Mike – The RocketCoaster
This would make for a solid retheme of Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. A rocket car is a fun idea and would make for a good vehicle as you join the Rocketeer in this adventure. Honestly, I thought of something similar once myself, so it makes an easy bit of sense for laying this in.

@Brer Panther – Flight of the Rocketeer
Nice idea here with an inverted coaster. This format would work well in selling that sensation of flight, guests feeling the wind as they soar through the air. Also, nice thoughts to have sky pirates as the villains. Sky pirates feel like a very “pulp adventure” threat and take advantage of the aerial antics.

@TwilightZone – The Rocketeer Stunt Show
Technically, your description would place this over in the Animation Courtyard (if this is supposed to serve as a replacement for Voyage of the Little Mermaid), but I’m willing to overlook that because this is a solid idea. It’s neat to see you thinking about filling in a particular niche at the park and the Rocketeer would help in that regard. The old-school pulp style would make this easier to translate to a live stunt show than other superhero-related stuff, and you could make some cool stunts to take advantage of the flight element.

@Solaris Knight – The Rocketeer vs. The Robot Hordes!
Now, this is inspired! A KUKA arm robocoaster is a perfect fit for the jetpack that’s so iconic to the Rocketeer, giving guests a good feel for that bumpy flight. Plus, that plot! Our jetpack-wearing hero facing mechanized miscreants in 1930s Los Angeles is some perfect two-fisted tale material.

@TheSquirrel – Rocketeer Raceway
Another short but sweet pitch of yours. A suspended coaster is a solid approach to go with for capturing that sensation of flight.

@DisneyManOne – The Rocketeer’s Greatest Battle!
Now, this is interesting. Not only have you designed this as a specific sequel adventure to the film, but you’ve repurposed the simulator tech of Star Tours for a new use now that Galaxy’s Edge covers so much of the Star Wars stuff. Nice thinking. Plus, the idea itself sounds fun.​

DashHaber

Original Poster
Final Round Awards:

Ps5WGu1.png

Honorable Mention: @TwilightZone – The Rocketeer Stunt Show
Honorable mention is a place for striking pitches that don’t quite make the main prompt, and this pitch was a neat idea to fill a growing niche at the park.

L30Y5yp.png

Bronze Medal (1 Point): @DisneyManOne – The Rocketeer’s Greatest Battle!
This was a neat idea, taking advantage of a potential redundancy on the Star Wars front by not only tweaking the simulator tech for a Rocketeer adventure but also moving it to Sunset Boulevard and offering a third type of thrill ride in what’s arguably the thrill corner of the park.

zihTg3C.png

Silver Medal (1 Point): @b-wolf95 – Southern Wind Club
I know that I may have neglected restaurant and store pitches a bit in this game, but this restaurant so captures the feeling of stepping in and finding yourself witnessing a classic two-fisted adventure while you enjoy your meal.

DrRz15D.png

Gold Medal (2 Points): @Solaris Knight – The Rocketeer vs. The Robot Hordes!
There were plenty of coaster pitches this round, but this pitch grabbed my notice fast. It’s an attraction type that’s a perfect fit with the jetpack that’s so iconic to this IP, and the plot makes for some perfect pulp fodder that anyone could get into.​

DashHaber

Original Poster

DashHaber

Original Poster
@Ludpat Mike and @Solaris Knight better be ready, because it's time for them to have a showdown in our tiebreaker round!

Tiebreaker: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

51XBALaE1WL._AC_.jpg

Well, folks, looks like we’ve got a tiebreaker on our hands! Only our tied competitors are involved for this round, and we need ourselves a big finish, so let’s go out with a flawed but fascinating creation from the Disney Renaissance: The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Though it suffers from some tonal issues, the story is ambitiously dark in terms of Disney storytelling, along with having wondrous visuals and such a dark villain with Judge Frollo.

We’ll make a return to France for this prompt, stopping off at Fantasyland in Disneyland Paris. Where else for a story from a famous French author? Oh, yeah, I’ve got some additional rules on this tiebreaker: You’ve got 24 hours. After that, I’ll provide my critiques, but only one of the pitches is getting selected as the winner.

-Prompt-

Pitch a method of implementing The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Fantasyland in Disneyland Paris. It can be an attraction, a restaurant, whatever you wish.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish. The deadline is Wednesday, December 30th, at 11:59:59 PM EST. Tied competitors only.

-Tips-
KISS – Keep is simple, silly! With only one sentence, you can’t get too detailed. Think of this as an elevator pitch.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit visually/thematically?​

Ludpat Mike

In the Parks
No

The Festival of Fools​

festival.jpg

In this half street show / half meet and greet seasonal experience (last two weeks of January - first two weeks of March) the "castle courtyard" will be invaded by colorful street performers such as acrobats, dancers and jugglers, along with a live band playing rearranged songs from the movie (and a few other Disney classics); among this joyful mayhem Esmeralda and Clopin will be there to engage guests in a dance or a simple magic trick, while Quasimodo (in his "King of Fools" attire) will be available for a hug and the Gargoyles will oversee the Festival waving from the castle balcony.

DashHaber

Original Poster
First, let me just say how impressed I am with our tied competitors during this whole competition. For being fresh faces to the forums, they brought some inspired and delightful ideas to their pitches. And now, the critiques!

@Solaris Knight – The Hunchback’s Tale
A C-ticket dark ride, huh? It’s a simple pitch, but I do like the sound of it. What strikes me are some of the descriptive notes, such as “focusing on this tale of monsters and men” and the idea of Frollo targeting guests in his zealous hunt. This suggests a ride that would be willing to tackle some of the darker elements that make this movie well-remembered, and would make it all the sweeter for riders when they see Quasimodo make it through and be loved. True, Fantasyland already has a few dark rides. However, the attraction selection has barely evolved over time and this would add some fresh life to the land. In particular, if this could achieve that tonal feel your pitch suggests, it would be a more solemn dark ride that would stand out with its mature feel.

@Ludpat Mike – The Festival of Fools
This would make for a fun seasonal event in Fantasyland. There is so much that would come out in this event. Obviously the acrobats and jugglers would be astounding to see, but you take advantage of the opportunity to have Meet and Greets for characters that are barely featured now at the parks. Even the touch of the gargoyles on the Castle is a neat idea. Over all, it is a good use of one of the lighter scenes from the film. In fact, Disney would probably take the easy tack like this, seeing as it hews towards something brighter and more colorful, turning away from some of the darker elements of the film.

Now, which do I pick as our winner? Well, stay tuned, and let's see our top three!​

DashHaber

Original Poster
Presenting, the Top Three for this episode of the One Sentence Competition!

L30Y5yp.png

In Third Place... @b-wolf95

zihTg3C.png

In Second Place... @Ludpat Mike

DrRz15D.png

In First Place... @Solaris Knight !!!

With a pitch that suggests an attraction willing to tackle some darker tones in a familiar Fantasyland format, we have our winner!

Thank you to everyone who took part in this episode of the One Sentence Competition! I hope you all had fun, and I hope I was a good host for all of you! Until next time...

Chaos Cat

Good game everyone!

This was actually fairly challenging to me. I struggled to come up with ideas for some of these prompts. Maybe it's because I haven't seen a good chunk of these movies/shows recently, or maybe I just work better when I go in knowing what type of thing I want to make.

Whatever the case, I give my congrats to both @Ludpat Mike and @Solaris Knight, because no matter what the tiebreaker says, you both deserve first place from my perspective.

And I'm not just saying that because that technically puts me in second. ;)

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Good game everyone!

This was actually fairly challenging to me. I struggled to come up with ideas for some of these prompts. Maybe it's because I haven't seen a good chunk of these movies/shows recently, or maybe I just work better when I go in knowing what type of thing I want to make.

Whatever the case, I give my congrats to both @Ludpat Mike and @Solaris Knight, because no matter what the tiebreaker says, you both deserve first place from my perspective.

And I'm not just saying that because that technically puts me in second. ;)
I was curious to see how folks would do with this episode. I wanted to try out something a bit different this round, and I thought that pitching IPs to work from instead of format types would offer that something different. Plus, there'd be a bit of challenge for the very reason you mentioned.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Presenting, the Top Three for this episode of the One Sentence Competition!

L30Y5yp.png

In Third Place... @b-wolf95

zihTg3C.png

In Second Place... @Ludpat Mike

DrRz15D.png

In First Place... @Solaris Knight !!!

With a pitch that suggests an attraction willing to tackle some darker tones in a familiar Fantasyland format, we have our winner!

Thank you to everyone who took part in this episode of the One Sentence Competition! I hope you all had fun, and I hope I was a good host for all of you! Until next time...

Excellent episode by an excellent host!

And congrats to @Solaris Knight and the whole top 3!

wazowski_216

That should help put out the word! Apologies if I've missed anyone, but the door is open to join! In the meanwhile, let's kick things off with...a discussion question!

Daily Discussion Question:
What Disney IP do you wish had more representation at the parks?
If you can do a show, Phineas and Ferb. if not, Monster's Inc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom