One Sentence Competition, Season 6, Episode 1 - The Soft Reboot

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
XWZSs8I.png

@spacemt354 - Living with the Land
Docu-series like this have really become the surprise hit of Disney+ and this was definitely not something I was expecting and yet it makes so much sense. It's very realistic since they already have started basing things off of Disney Parks with the Animal Kingdom series. This would be a great option for something both relaxing and educational while still being fun. Plus, it would make sure that one of my favorite epcot rides stayed safe.

@Pufflefan - The Haunted Mansion Online
First off, really fun write up. Slightly tough to follow at times, but it has a really fun tone and shows off a lot of personality. Love the art too btw! As a VMK veteran I instantly connected with this idea! This sounds more like ToonTown which I'm slightly less familiar with, but either way a fun base for this. It's a little dated in terms of game design since games like this don't really exist anymore. But the fan mad recreations of VMK and ToonTown prove that there is still an audience for things like this even if it is definitely a niche one.

@NateD1226 - Imperial Officers: Off Duty
Feels maybe more tangetially related to the ride, but a really great show. I love the idea of slice of life, sitcomy style shows set in fantasy universe like this. It reminds me of the Kylo Ren Undercover Boss SNL skit which was so much fun! This would be sure to be a ton of fun and a breath of fresh air for the Star Wars franchise which tends to get caught in a loop of making very similar things that it can't seem to break out of. I did find it very fun that the strongest connection specifically to the ride is how often it malfunction lol

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
XWZSs8I.png

@DisneyManOne - Big Thunder Mountain
I like this! I think the generational angle to this story could add a really unique twist. It might just be me, but I see this being tonally similar to a slightly darker, more adult version of Holes. Especially with the main B Plot being in the past. And anything that reminds me of Holes is an automatic hit! I really don't have much to say, but that's not a knock against this project. If anything it's a point in its favor that there's really not much to nitpick.

@InspectorSpacetime - Tapestry of Nations
Most of this review is gonna be the same as Space's. Docuseries like this have been the surprise hit of Disney+ so far and epcot attractions are amazing source material. Comparing the two, there are a few pros and cons between your's and Space's. On one hand, things like the animated segments could go a long way towards making educational shows like this appeal more to kids. On the other hand, part of the success of these series is that they target adults more. On one hand, the synergy with kidcot and adventures by Disney make this really realistic. On the other hand they may make it feel too much like an ad. Overall, a strong idea though. Of course, -90 points for naming it after a parade that scared me as a young kid.

@DashHaber - The Haunted Mansion
I just rewatched Over the Garden Wall earlier this week! I love it! I've said before that this is exactly my dream Disney adaptation. An anthology of the Haunted Mansion. I believe they've even done a book series like this (or similar?). It might be one of those things where it is too realistic though. Not with Pat McHale as far as I know, but this has almost happened as an animated series twice in recent years and is one of the most common suggestions from fans. But it is a commonly requested thing because it is a great idea!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
XWZSs8I.png

@tcool123 - Figment
There's the very obvious and basic way to do Figment and I really admire that you did something new with it. I'm sure it would be controversial to not just adapt the comics or a basic story with Dreamfinder. You did a completely new take that still feels to perfectly captures the inspirational spirit of the original ride and the remake ride. I could see this being a great spiritual successor to not just Journey into Imagination but also Roger rabbit. A lot of the quality of this would depend on execution though as this could easily just be another live action Smurfs. But if they pulled it off this could be a ton of fun!

@Disneylover152 - Beastly Kingdom
I could see this being an incredible movie! A great Lord of the Rings/Avatar style fantasy epic that would be a big stand out hit! You manage to include a lot of inspiration from the concepts of the land while keeping the influences subtle. This could easily stand on its own as a story without any context of the lost land. The story is maybe a bit cliched, but that's true of literally any fantasy story. Overall, this is a very very strong pitch.

Also, I think you might like this:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A fantastic Sixth Scene! I was nervous about this prompt because it is a bit of a departure from the usual theme park stuff. But you guys rose to the occasion big time and made some super cool stuff and some really creative adaptations!

Everyone who submitted something gets 1 point just for playing, but medal winners will get extra points on top of that!

And now for the awards!!!!

Ps5WGu1.png

Honorable Mention
@Pufflefan -
The Haunted Mansion Online
Honorable Mentions isn't necessarily "4th Place." This award goes to a project that excelled in one area, but had something else holding it back from the top 3. In this case, this project was perfect! Just about 10-15 years too late for when it would've been a crazy huge smash success!

L30Y5yp.png

Bronze Medal (1 Point)
@Evilgidgit - Phantom Manor
A common idea in many ways, but such a unique and clever twist to it that you've really set your project apart from the rest. This was a tough, very competitive bronze. Admittedly my personal bias might have edged you out but it was a very close fight. Finding a new angle on a popular idea was what edged you into the medal.

zihTg3C.png

Silver Medal (1 Point)
@tcool123 -
Figment
You went with such a unique angle with this while still capturing the spirit that made the classic ride so special!

DrRz15D.png

Gold Medal (2 Points)
@spacemt354 -
Living with the Land
I just think this strikes just the perfect balance between realistic, exciting, fun, educational, grounded, interesting, and relaxing. A write up that just clicks.

D Hulk

HULK SMASH BONUS REVIEWS!

enhance

Time to see how you folks applied your films/shows/games back into your attractions. There were certain pitfalls with this task, as we’ll see (“The Jack Sparrow Dilemma,” as it’s known in academic circles), and some really bold ideas for improving some neglected theme park properties.

And in case you forgot, I am simply reviewing & orchestrating the Bonuses. The main reviews, and the main trophy points, are the purview of one @Pi on my Cake, esquire.

Snow White’s Scary Adventures
@TwilightZone
These Fantasyland classics can always benefit from some new TLC, since they’re always at risk of feeling technologically outdated. So I can definitely see any upgrades to SWSA being welcome for that reason alone. And since your movie uses characters from the ride, adding new scenes from the new film won’t feel out-of-place, like Jack Sparrow does on POTC. Well done!

Phantom Manor
@Evilgidgit
This is a smart way to improve your original attraction; you identified a problem which it currently has, and used your movie concept to fix it. I like how very specific your proposal is to Phantom Manor, and to the surrounding mythos of Paris’ Frontierland (I’ve always loved that unified setting).

The Country Bears
@Brer Panther
Country Bears’ removal from Disneyland still stings all these decades later. I really do believe Grizzly Peak, which benefits from more foot traffic than Critter Country’s cul de sac, would make a fabulous new home for the Jamboree! It’s a true shame that this wasn’t implemented with DCA 1.0 or later on, and yes I am well aware that it’s apparently too wet there from Grizzly River Run to successfully implement the Country Bears, but dangnabbit if your animated film was a big enough hit then they’d have to make it work no matter the challenge. Call it the Frozen rule.

So overall while other proposals have improved a standing attraction, you’ve full-on resurrected a dearly departed favorite, and for that I am incredibly grateful!​

D Hulk

Living with the Land
@spacemt354
Epcot’s attractions are another set (like Fantasyland’s, for different reasons) which seem to constantly need updating, since the world around us keeps on changing. In the short term, at the very least, your proposed update would be a genuine improvement to LwtL. With time, as the show inevitably fades from Disney+’s top slot, the tie-in might start to feel a little long-in-the-tooth, even if your newer footage retains its power.

The Haunted Mansion Online
@Pufflefan
You know what would’ve been dreadful? Eddie Murphy becoming a permanent part of Haunted Mansion! (I’m not terribly keen on Jack Sparrow at Disneyland either.)

In comparison, I like how fundamentally temporary your ride upgrade is, and how minor it is too. Game ghosts appearing in cameo roles wouldn’t draw undue attention to themselves. Guests who know the game will love the tie-in, and guests who never heard of it won’t be bothered.

Imperial Officers: Off Duty
@NateD1226
The 3rd pre-show? I’m forgetting which one that is...is it the one on the turntable transport? This ride, man! No matter, this would probably be the easiest upgrade to implement of them all. Just change the footage & dialogue in a single screen!

Will your imperial officers ask “Are we the baddies?”​

D Hulk

Big Thunder Mountain
@DisneyManOne
No bonus? (Unless one was added very late.) Hulk sad!

Tapestry of Nations

@InspectorSpacetime
From my limited knowledge of Epcot (it’s all secondhand), this sounds like an ideal solution to adding family-friendly, Disney-branded stuff without hurting Epcot’s fundamental mission statement. Best of all is everything you’re proposing (dance party parades, Kidcot experiences) is the sort of transitional, seasonal offering which Epcot already excels at with its festivals & such.

The Haunted Mansion
@DashHaber
Your bonus solution is completely in-line with the “Jack Sparrow in POTC” approach: Animatronics from the show simply added to the ride. Jack Sparrow sort of upends the previous Pirates storyline, and there’s a risk that your Disney+ characters could as well.​

D Hulk

Figment
@tcool123
Would your overhaul be an attempt to restore Journey into Imagination back to its original Tony Baxter glory? Or rather, the modern equivalent of that long lost classic? Because I totally welcome that! Epcot’s JiI really has suffered needlessly over the decades, so if there’s any way to use your media franchise as a way to rectify that situation, I’m all for it. This is a very strong bonus.

Beastly Kingdom
@Disneylover152

Hhhhhholy...holy schnikeys!!! Are you proposing that they actually build the ENTIRE Beastly Kingdom?!...

...No, no you aren't. You're proposing changing DAK's small Beastly Kingdom easter eggs to fit your movie. Now, while adding a whole new land might be over-ambitious for a bonus prompt, I do think you could've done just a bit more with this. Like, replace an aging DAK attraction with Beastly Kingdom maybe, like the Primeval Whirl or a stage show perhaps?

With all that done, who actually won the bonus point for this round…?

@Brer Panther WIN BONUS!
Resurrectin’ Disneyland’s Country Bears in DCA smashes all of Hulk's buttons! Very easy choice!

You get a Bonus Point, Brer Panther! A BP for BP!​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Seven
Mickey and the Missing Map

pvpv2Wm.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
Disneyland is packed about as full as it can be. Empty space is pretty precious. Especially in Fantasyland. Because of this, the Fantasyland Theater (Videopolis, Mickey and the Magical Map, and a bunch of other shows over the years) has been on the chopping block for a while. It's always just barely survived as other projects were greenlit first. While unfortunate, Mickey and the Magical Map has been ended (possibly permanently) leaving this theater as empty space. Something Disneyland can't really afford while trying to add big expansions to bring people back.

RVb0Wqh.png

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new D/E-Ticket Attraction for Disneyland's Fantasyland to replace the Theater!
You can make anything you'd like from a roller coaster to a dark ride to a better theater. Just make sure it is something grand and exciting!
This theater basically touches Toontown too, if you'd rather have the ride be counted for that land.

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Friday, October 23th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Keep an eye out for the bonus from some big, angry, and GREEN!

Last edited:

D Hulk

Scene Seven
Mickey and the Missing Map

pvpv2Wm.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
Disneyland is packed about as full as it can be. Empty space is pretty precious. Especially in Fantasyland. Because of this, the Fantasyland Theater (Videopolis, Mickey and the Magical Map, and a bunch of other shows over the years) has been on the chopping block for a while. It's always just barely survived as other projects were greenlit first. While unfortunate, Mickey and the Magical Map has been ended (possibly permanently) leaving this theater as empty space. Something Disneyland can't really afford while trying to add big expansions to bring people back.

RVb0Wqh.png

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new D/E-Ticket Attraction for Disneyland's Fantasyland to replace the Theater!
You can make anything you'd like from a roller coaster to a dark ride to a better theater. Just make sure it is something grand and exciting!
This theater basically touches Toontown too, if you'd rather have the ride be counted for that land.

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Friday, October 23th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

enhance

Using a single sentence (and NO pictures), propose a unique new merchandise item to go with your new attraction.

Whether you do the bonus or not will have absolutely NO effect on the main prompt's winners or the medals. BUT the best bonus will get 1 Bonus Point towards the overall rankings!​

tcool123

Big?
Angry?
Green?
Can simply be one person,

AUDREY II
5d4d7d0eb730fef1245190feebfd3456

enhance

Using a single sentence (and NO pictures), propose a unique new merchandise item to go with your new attraction.

Whether you do the bonus or not will have absolutely NO effect on the main prompt's winners or the medals. BUT the best bonus will get 1 Bonus Point towards the overall rankings!​
Oh my bad it was @D Hulk should've seen it coming 😝

Disneylover152

Beastly Kingdom
@Disneylover152

Hhhhhholy...holy schnikeys!!! Are you proposing that they actually build the ENTIRE Beastly Kingdom?!...

...No, no you aren't. You're proposing changing DAK's small Beastly Kingdom easter eggs to fit your movie. Now, while adding a whole new land might be over-ambitious for a bonus prompt, I do think you could've done just a bit more with this. Like, replace an aging DAK attraction with Beastly Kingdom maybe, like the Primeval Whirl or a stage show perhaps?

Just to clarify why I did what I did, I didn't think I was able to do anything besides adapting whats already Beastly Kingdom in the park.

tcool123

The Legend of Mor'du

brave-the-legend-of-mordu.jpg

This launching woodcoaster sees the Witch send off eager travelers, wishing to know more of DunBroch's twisted history, throughout the ghastly remains of Mor'du's ruined kingdom. Guests are blasted off into the attraction as they're be chased by the reappearing Mor'du, and the chasing will come to a halt as Merida makes her appearance scaring the bear away with her bow and arrow. The attraction ends with coaster pulling into the Witch's Cottage where an animatronic Witch greets them as she peddles her wares to guests.

BONUS: The Witch's Shack

Within the Witch's Shack guests can find a wooden coaster set; with this set guests will be able to recreate this very same rollercoaster, or create a whole new one with a variety of pieces and other purchasable extras.​

TwilightZone

Mary Poppins' Supercalifragilistic Day

iu

To tie in together both Fantasyland and Toontown comes this brand new dark ride based on one of the most iconic scenes from the Mary Poppins film. Guests walk through playground queue where Bert drew the original drawings seen in the movie, once near the boarding area, guests are guided by a cast member who explains how Mary Poppins would take her kids to the magical world before drawing up the piece. Suddenly, the guests are inside the colorful chalk world and they board magical merry-go-round horses that gallop around the wonderful artsy scenery taken straight out of the movie and even a glimpse of Marry and Bert taking a stroll around the scenery.

BONUS: In the gift shop you can find all sorts of things from the hats worn by the various citizens of the world to a replica of Mary Poppins' famous umbrella.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom