One Sentence Competition - Season 5 Episode 2

FireMountain

Disney's Main City Stay Resort
Based off of Main Street (Grand Floridian wouldn't be open until 1988), Main City Stay takes guests to a 1920s resort, with rooms and overall theming similar to Main Street, including a large indoor district with restaurants and shopping themed to the era, as well as the largest pool on property!

Disneylover152

Disney's Grand European Resort
1578182132724.png

With Polynessian representing Adventureland and the Contemporary representing Tomorrowland, the Grand European Resort will be located between the TTC and Contemporary and celebrate Fantasyland, more specifically Europe and all of the fairytale stories it inspires, recreating a Bavarian Village with touches & streets inspired by Peter Pan (London), Pinocchio (Italy), and the bavarian villages of Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and others.

Last edited:

AceAstro

Walt Disney's Railroad Resort

1578000142154.png

It's no secret Walt was in love with trains from a young age and this was just another way for Disney to honour his legacy after his passing: a resort dedicated to all things trains from train rooms to a lobby designed like a train station to all CM's wearing train engineer costumes, this resort fully immersed guests into the world of trains while also connecting right to the Magic Kingdom's train loop (through switch tracks near where Pirates is now) offering resort guests a unique way to enter the park.​

Flippin'Flounder

vine-street-hollywood-CA-1971.jpg

Disney's Hollywood Resort
Disney's Hollywood Resort is split into three sections: the entrance, Hollywood Boulevard, which is where the lobby, pool (which is in the shape of a star), and table-service restaurant The Brown Derby are located; the northern set of rooms, The Western Lot, themed to the set of a western film, complete with the facade of a saloon, which also acts as a quick-service dining location; and the southern set of rooms, The Fantasy Lot, where you can find faux-castles and sets of armor laying around.

Sam Magic

Disney's El Rancho Resort and Conference Center

El Rancho Vintage.png

Opening in 1971, Disney's El Rancho Resort and Conference Center was an attempt by Disney to capitalize on America's late 50s to early '70s obsession with Westerns; this was achieved by the resort adopt a Spanish Colonial theme and providing guests with luxurious rooms and amenities, of which included a well-sized conference center.

Last edited:

Outbound

Disney's Fairytale Villas Resort
1578184238115.png
Disney's Fairytale Villas represents Fantasyland in the Seven Seas Lagoon and is located between the Polynesian and Magic Kingdom Park, there is a great focus here on tranquility, with real swans and ducks living in the various ponds; guests stay in small cottages, six rooms each (three per floor), that provide a relaxing experience; between each are trees, paths, and various "props" for well-known fairytales; lastly, a small castle takes up the middle of the resort which is home to guest services and two elaborate restaurants - at the top, a regal dining experience with visits from the Disney princesses, and below an acted-out medieval joust - overall, this is certainly a place of Fantasy.

pix

Cartoon Resort:

Disney's Cartoon resort is a smaller scale, kid friendly opening day resort to balance the other three high end locations; allowing families with younger kids to relax and rest in playfully themed buildings focused on one of the fab five characters, as well as a Steamboat Willie pool play area, a standard quick service food area again themed to each of the fab five, an higher quality sit down restaurant called Off the Page, themed around sketch art cartoons, and a chip and dale play park for kids to run off some extra energy.

D Hulk

Original Poster
REVIEWS
View attachment 438204DISNEY’S ATLANTIS is a water/Atlantis based hotel on the side of the seven seas lagoon despite being separate from the lagoon, the hotels main attraction is that it’s suspended on water, so we hope you have a SPLASHING time at Disney’s Atlantis.
Disney’s Atlantis
@Disneypugs.

Atlantis is a fun theme for a hotel (especially in the ‘70s before the Bahamas resort or the Disney movie), and it fits well with the Seven Seas Lagoon setting. I still salute your speed and your homemade imagery (hidden Mickey!). A homemade image though isn’t always inherently better; some proposals below use stock pics which convey more information. (If you have technical questions, please ask.) Also, look to some other proposals for an idea about what extra details you can add to future proposals. :)
Disney's Colonial Beach Resort & Spa

While The Contemporary, Polynesian, and Fort Wilderness Resorts represent the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland, Adventureland, and Frontierland respectively, located on the west side of the Seven Seas Lagoon will be Disney's Colonial Beach Resort & Spa which derives from Liberty Square and takes inspiration from the New England sea-fairing towns from a bygone era, with an elegant 4-story coastal colored centerpiece lobby, surrounded by 7 distinct estates, exquisite centrally themed culinary delights, as well as a lighthouse and pier along the water.
Disney’s Colonial Beach Resort & Spa
@spacemt354

Yeah, realistically a Seven Seas Lagoon resort ought to reflect a Magic Kingdom land. With only a few to choose from, it’s a strategic move to swoop in early and claim one. Smart move.

This is a solid theme, solidly presented. I can’t help but picture DisneySea’s Cape Cod area when reading your description. This would be extremely charming and cozy, as long as guests don’t have to share the lighthouse with Willem Dafoe.

maxresdefault.jpg

D Hulk

Original Poster
Lafitte's Landing Beach Resort
e00eab91d4f93845d48a3b1e099e43c6.jpg

Avast, me hearties, and welcome to Lafitte's Landing Beach Resort on the eastern side of the Seven Seas Lagoon, based around an 18th century Caribbean town-turned-pirate, now a hotel resort for weary tourists and travellers, with each room resembling a distinctly designed captain's cabin, complete with indoor and outdoor pools, a large restaurant with a Caribbean sea restaurant, a coral-themed spa, and a large play area resembling a shipwreck.
Laffite’s Landing Beach Resort
@Evilgidgit

Here’s a good example of effective concept art.

A pirate-themed resort would no doubt be popular and appealing. I can only imagine the furor this would create circa 1971, considering the uproar over Magic Kingdom lacking Pirates of the Caribbean then. (That would also make this a second Adventureland-inspired hotel.)

Disney's Marceline Resort
View attachment 438908

Acting as a cheaper option of lodging at Walt Disney World and a representation of Main Street, U.S.A., Disney's Marceline Resort is heavily influenced on Walt Disney's hometown of Marceline, Missouri, much like Main Street is; the resort is comprised of three buildings, the lobby, the East Street and the West Street which are right across from each other; the main lobby is influenced by the Train Station and is home to a quick-service restaurant; in between the three buildings is a pool.
Disney’s Marceline Resort
@MickeyMousketeer

A resort based on a land in MK? And it’s a tribute to Walt?! Two birds with one stone!

You’re really winning me over with the Marceline connection. A hint to everybody: You’ll hardly ever go wrong by invoking Walt Disney. Though the future Grand Floridian would fill that Main Street niche, I actually prefer this idea. It boasts more charm and less opulence. Your sentence fleshes out the details well with inclusions like a lobby, restaurant, and pool.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Disney's Discotech Resort!

View attachment 438433

When the day in the park ends, the party begins for guests staying at Disney's Discotech Resort themed to the popular music, psychedelic visuals, and groovy attitude that made the 1970s so cool (Disney was ahead of the time by hopping on the disco trend early).
Disney's Discotech Resort
@Pi on my Cake

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

9ji8YG.gif

Disney's Palace Of Fantasy resort
View attachment 438610
Going by the fact that the resorts appear to be based on the theme's of the lands of the park, and by other people's submissions, that means Fantasyland is the only land left, and so we have a reception area based on Jimminy's role in Fun And Fancy Free, three main resort areas based off The Queen's (later Snow White's), Aurora's, and Cinderella's Castle respectively, with all resort areas having 1-3 restaurants based on Disney's film catalog at the time, with each area having their own spa areas, with Snow White's area having a botanical garden based on the woods, and a cottage play area, Aurora's has a library, and a ballroom, while Cinderella has stables, and an aviary, with all resort areas have at most one gift shop based on the characters.
Disney’s Palace of Fantasy Resort
@Tux

And here’s the Fantasyland hotel. (EDIT: The 1st of 3!) Good call claiming the idea when you did. Working within the fantasy framework, I’d prefer something with fewer direct Disney film/character references, something with more original/cultural ideas. A hotel styled after a Bavarian village would be very appealing. In later decades, certainly, Disney Parks would start emphasizing their IPs more prominently – look at the hotels in Shanghai – but circa 1971 I believe there would be more subtlety in their designs.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Disney's Sky Resort

View attachment 438760

Disney's Sky Resort is an all new hotel where you can feel like you are flying in the sky. With a white, sleek exterior and a white, fun interior, you are sure to feel like floating in the some clouds. There will be play areas themed to Up, new dining options, and great rooms to make you feel just at home.
Disney’s Sky Resort
@NateD1226

Even with the image, it’s really difficult imagining how “sky” could translate to a physical setting. Maybe just walls with that Toy Story cloud wallpaper?

A few technical notes here, since you’re joining us late: We’re doing only one sentence now, not three like in past seasons. Also, since this round is set in the 1970s, an UP tie-in doesn’t fit.

Still, it’s a neat idea!

Disney's Main City Stay Resort
Based off of Main Street (Grand Floridian wouldn't be open until 1988), Main City Stay takes guests to a 1920s resort, with rooms and overall theming similar to Main Street, including a large indoor district with restaurants and shopping themed to the era, as well as the largest pool on property!
Disney’s Main City Stay Resort
@FireMountain

You have the right instinct going for a Main Street resort, even though @MickeyMousketeer beat you to the punch there. In contrast to his proposal, this one lacks specificity. So the resort would look like 1920s America? @Mickeymousketeer’s Marceline connection isn’t fundamentally that distinct from Main Street U.S.A. either, but it has much stronger specificity. Specific towns or buildings or architectural styles…those would elevate your good foundation.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Disney's Grand European Resort
View attachment 439122
With Polynessian representing Adventureland and the Contemporary representing Tomorrowland, the Grand European Resort will be located between the TTC and Contemporary and celebrate Fantasyland, more specifically Europe and all of the fairytale stories it inspires, recreating a Bavarian Village with touches & streets inspired by Peter Pan (London), Pinocchio (Italy), and the bavarian villages of Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and others.
Disney’s Grand European Resort
@DisneyLover 152

Okay, when I wrote the review for @Tux I hadn’t yet read this proposal! I swear. You’ve answered all the critiques I had about our earlier Fantasyland-inspired resort, even down to the Bavarian village. And while I dinged @Tux for bringing in Disney characters, I like how you’re approaching them: An Italian street for Pinocchio, an English street for Peter Pan, that combines the cartoons with ‘70s Disney’s love of world cultures. Very nice work.
Walt Disney's Railroad Resort

View attachment 438649

It's no secret Walt was in love with trains from a young age and this was just another way for Disney to honour his legacy after his passing: a resort dedicated to all things trains from train rooms to a lobby designed like a train station to all CM's wearing train engineer costumes, this resort fully immersed guests into the world of trains while also connecting right to the Magic Kingdom's train loop (through switch tracks near where Pirates is now) offering resort guests a unique way to enter the park.
Walt Disney’s Railroad Resort
@AceAstro

Remember what I said above about how Walt Disney makes things better? Here’s a perfect example of that! I love basically everything about this. Connecting your resort directly into Magic Kingdom via the Railroad is a genius touch…slightly unrealistic, maybe? And with no more lands available for inspiration, you still somehow found a way to use Magic Kingdom as the basis for your proposal. This is fantastic!

D Hulk

Original Poster
vine-street-hollywood-CA-1971.jpg

Disney's Hollywood Resort
Disney's Hollywood Resort is split into three sections: the entrance, Hollywood Boulevard, which is where the lobby, pool (which is in the shape of a star), and table-service restaurant The Brown Derby are located; the northern set of rooms, The Western Lot, themed to the set of a western film, complete with the facade of a saloon, which also acts as a quick-service dining location; and the southern set of rooms, The Fantasy Lot, where you can find faux-castles and sets of armor laying around.
Disney’s Hollywood Resort
@Flippin'Flounder

Hollywood is another good theme, and you’ve done a fine job fleshing it out with descriptions of the rooms, restaurants, and grounds. This has the perfect amount of detail. It’s a very strong proposal.

Any further into the future, and I’d fault this for evoking Disney Hollywood Studios. (See Challenge 4 ;).) For 1971, it’s no problem at all! And while Hollywood doesn’t directly relate to either Magic Kingdom or Walt Disney, it’s still a natural and simple topic for a Disney hotel…heck, they did something like this in Hong Kong!

hkdl-hotel-disneys-hollywood-hotel-overview-hero-01.jpg

Placeholder: Disney's El Rancho Resort and Conference Center
Disney’s El Rancho Resort and Conference Center
@Sam4D23

Placeholder review.

EDIT: Nice last-minute completion! I dig the Spanish Colonial theme...living in California in such a house, of course I do. This would play well in Florida too, particularly with the local Latinx community, even once interest in westerns dries up. The image you found is the best of this challenge - it looks exactly like a Spanishy Disney World resort! Ultimately, there are other resort proposals which are more particularly appropriate for WDW's Seven Seas Lagoon, but simply as a themed resort I really like this one.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Disney's Fairytale Villas Resort
View attachment 439124

Disney's Fairytale Villas represents Fantasyland in the Seven Seas Lagoon and is located between the Polynesian and Magic Kingdom Park, there is a great focus here on tranquility, with real swans and ducks living in the various ponds; guests stay in small cottages, six rooms each (three per floor), that provide a relaxing experience; between each are trees, paths, and various "props" for well-known fairytales; lastly, a small castle takes up the middle of the resort which is home to guest services and two elaborate restaurants - at the top, a regal dining experience with visits from the Disney princesses, and below an acted-out medieval joust - overall, this is certainly a place of Fantasy.
Disney’s Fairytale Villas Resort
@Outbound

Again with the Fantasyland hotels…

This is a solidly-crafted proposal. Lots of detail, a strong sense of place, enviable run-on sentence. I'm just a little burned out on the fairy tale milleu at this stage. That’s a strategy thing. When players post earlier, they can claim the obvious ideas. When they post later, a more unique idea is warranted. A-game presentation like this combined with a more distinctive theme would win a medal.

Cartoon Resort:

Disney's Cartoon resort is a smaller scale, kid friendly opening day resort to balance the other three high end locations; allowing families with younger kids to relax and rest in playfully themed buildings focused on one of the fab five characters, as well as a Steamboat Willie pool play area, a standard quick service food area again themed to each of the fab five, an higher quality sit down restaurant called Off the Page, themed around sketch art cartoons, and a chip and dale play park for kids to run off some extra energy.
Disney’s Cartoon Resort
@gam3rprincess (PIX!!! :eek:)

Getting definite Value Resort vibes here. It’s a nice counterbalance to the ritzier Seven Seas Lagoon options; I wonder how Walt Disney World would have evolved differently with something like this there since Day 1.

Now, while all the Magic Kingdom lands are spoken for, in a way this feels like a Toontown-inspired resort. In other words, it’s fitting for the location. It isn’t my favorite theme, and the name Cartoon Resort lacks an evocative punch, but all this reflects the resort’s simpler style. It would be a real winner with families. (Needs a pic.)

D Hulk

Original Poster

Challenge 3 results!

Fourteen proposals! Wow! I love this group’s enthusiasm. This was like the ideal batch of submissions for One Sentence Competition. The winners displayed all the skills needed in this game: Good ideas mixed with good presentation.

Bronze medal (1 point)
25378926288_0282b49fa8_o_d.png

(TIE)
@MickeyMousketeer – Disney’s Marceline Resort
@Flippin'Flounder – Disney’s Hollywood Resort
Both are solid presentations of fitting ideas.

Silver medal (2 points)
25378923678_32843d468b_o_d.png

@Disneylover152 – Disney’s Grand European Resort
You nailed the Fantasyland hotel concept.

Gold medal (3 points)
25378924938_877ca558df_o_d.png

@AceAstro – Walt Disney’s Railroad Resort
Transcending the land-inspired hotel trend with something which encompasses Walt Disney and Magic Kingdom as a whole all at once.

Cheers to everyone who contributed! Challenge 3 will appear at noon (EST) tomorrow.

D Hulk

Original Poster
CHALLENGE 4
1980s

enhance

Resort Expansion came quickly in the ‘70s & ‘80s. Disney World’s third park, Disney-MGM Studios, opened in 1989 – one year before its thematic rival Universal Studios Florida. But this quick turnaround meant an underwhelming park on opening day, with only The Great Movie Ride and the Studio Backlot Tour serving as true E-ticket draws.

Your task is to propose an additional E-ticket attraction for Disney-MGM Studios’ opening day, 1989.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish, that is optional. The deadline is Tuesday, January 7th, 2020, at midnight EST.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple, Silly! We are officially back to one sentence, so don’t overcomplicate things. Think of this like an initial brainstorming session.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom