One Sentence Competition - Season 5 Episode 2

Flippin'Flounder

mickey-and-the-beanstalk-625x350.jpg

Mickey's Fearless Quest
Journey with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy, as they go on a quest up a magic beanstalk on this two-story dark ride based on the 1947 short Mickey and the Beanstalk, they go high into the clouds above Happy Valley searching for food and narrowly escape Willie the Giant.

D Hulk

Original Poster
REVIEWS
The Salvation Of The Reluctant Dragon
View attachment 436373
I feel as if The Reluctant Dragon had been undermined by the fact that it was released under an animator strike and had to share it's run time with the studio operations tour along with the rest of the shorts in the film, so, in order to do it some justice, why not make it the fourth dark ride for fantasyland in 1955, which would fit in with the pattern of having two full length films with dark rides and having two shorts have their own dark rides, in which the other short is Mr. Toad, but, in order to keep the ride original and not just a copy cat, you ride from the perspective of the boy with the book filling in all important dialogue made by the boy in the film.
THE SALVATION OF THE RELUCTANT DRAGON
@Tux

Good job on the super-fast turnaround, and with a quality idea to match! The Reluctant Dragon is an inspired choice. As a short subject, it (like Mr. Toad) fits the dark ride storytelling format nicely. The medieval setting fits Fantasyland like a glove. A comic-heroic adventure is a strong emotional complement to Snow White’s terror, Toad’s craziness, and Peter Pan’s high-flying awe. With more sentences, there are other aspects I’d be curious about (like ride vehicles), but with the single sentence available you’ve really intrigued me!
Flights Through Fantasia
v1.bTsxMTIxMzQ2ODtqOzE4MzU0OzEyMDA7MjI1MDszMDAw

Based on the 1940 Disney classic, Flights through Fantasia is an omnimover dark ride that goes through several segments from the film, including a water-filled Sorcerer's Apprentice and a Bald Mountain finale (with a gigantic Chernabog).
FLIGHTS THROUGH FANTASIA
@FireMountain

All cards on the table! Fantasia is my #1 favorite Disney animated film of all time! It absolutely demands more park representation, and its plot-free expressionistic structure makes it a good candidate for a dark ride. You lose realism points, however, for suggesting this would be an omnimover. This would be a 1955 ride, remember, and the omnimover – as fitting as it would be – wouldn’t be invented until the ‘60s (next challenge?). This episode of One Sentence Competition is all about getting those period details right!​

D Hulk

Original Poster
Three little pigs dark ride going through all of the story.
Not all the Dark rides survived; closed in the 1980s was a ride based on Flowers and Trees, a dark ride through a wooden glade.
THREE LITTLE PIGS
@Disneypugs.
FLOWERS AND TREES
@Miru

Both of these I’m placing together for lack of detail. All we’re given is an IP choice. They’re good IPs, and each would adapt well to a dark ride in my opinion (beloved short subjects with distinct tones). But please do more to flesh out your ideas in the future. What’s the ride vehicle? Scene progression? Where is it in Fantasyland? Even with a one-sentence limit, you can do more...and you can always edit anytime before the deadline.

So here’s a strategic hint to one and all: Stake ideas early! Come in to claim an IP in the first hour, and then flesh it out later.​

Dumbo's Fantastic Journey
View attachment 436442
Instead of the Fantasyland Theatre on opening day, in order to create a Dumbo mini-land a classic dark ride is there to takes guests through scenes from Dumbo's story, recreating iconic scenes from the movie including "Baby Mine", the firehouse stunt and "When I See an Elephant Fly".
DUMBO’S FANTASTIC JOURNEY
@Disneylover152

There is great attention to detail in this post! On top of the Dumbo IP and a brief scene list, we get a location (good call on replacing Fantasyland Theatre) and even a semi-homemade ride layout. That image (a mirrored Snow White layout) is more effort than this competition really demands, but it does a ton of legwork to make the idea feel real. The elephant in the room, so to speak, is the Dumbo the Flying Elephant spinner…presumably that would be a part of your Dumbo miniland, sort of like how Alice in Wonderland has a dark ride and a spinner. Or how Shanghai Disneyland did something similar with Pooh. Or Florida’s Storybook Circus.

Okay, I’m trying to nitpick this for a fault, and so far there aren’t really any. One final question – Would it be a suspended dark ride? Dumbo is all about flying. If so, this could be a little redundant alongside Peter Pan’s Flight.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
Cinderella’s Royal Carriage Ride
View attachment 436405

Based on 1950's hit Cinderella, Cinderella's Royal Carriage ride sees guests riding in a carriage around several scenes from the film, including a colorful finale in which the carriage turns back into a pumpkin (with the use of lights from the ceiling) and Cinderella marries the prince.
CINDERELLA’S ROYAL CARRIAGE RIDE
@MickeyMousketeer

Cinderella is a perennial favorite for dark ride adaptation, and for good reason. It is incredibly easy to picture this as a 1955 attraction. The carriage ride vehicle, though obvious, is perfect. The finale is a nice touch. What I mostly would like to know more about is the ride’s personality. Would it be charming and heartwarming, especially to counter the sheer ungodly horror of Snow White’s Scary Adventure? A few well-chosen adjectives would help paint that picture.​

Bambi's Passing of Seasons
scene-Bambi.jpg

In place of the Fantasyland Theatre, a quaint but thematic dark ride based on Bambi opened on Disneyland's opening day, taking guests through four seasons within a great forest, following the life of the fawn Bambi and friends -- Autumn sees the birth of Bambi and his childhood experiences, Winter brings fun and tragedy for the young prince, Spring brings adulthood for Bambi and the confusion that is "twitterpation", while the dramatic Summer brings man and their terrible fire with them, leading to Bambi's rise to becoming the Great Prince.

Note: Didn't include ride vehicles as I have no idea on how to pull that off. Perhaps create the illusion it is going down a river without the water.
BAMBI’S PASSING OF SEASONS
@Evilgidgit

This is a fabulous run-on sentence, one which mightily stretches the competition’s boundaries…in a good way. I love how you’ve condensed a feature film into four seasonal sequences. This is a really wise simplification, one which preserves the “tone poem” style of Disney’s Bambi in favor of a mere “book report” approach. (In general, every competitor wisely avoided the maligned “book report” dark ride style, and I salute you all!) The more I think about this ride, the more I fall in love! Imagining a ride through is extremely easy. It’s like a better-executed version of those stateside Winnie the Pooh rides, one with ten times the artistry and charm.

Regarding the question of ride vehicle? What about giant leaves floating down the river? That would be both charming and thematically appropriate.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
All the good Disney movies pre-55' are taken, but there's nothing telling me I have to follow them...

The Legend of King Mickey
View attachment 436580
Told in the style of this 1933 pop-up book I just found online, this ride tells the classic Legend of King Arthur starring Mickey Mouse and friends, with Mickey as Arthur, Donald a poorly trained Merlin, and Pete the sinister Mordred; the story is greatly adapted to fit a simple, child-friendly audience, and be suited to Fantasyland's whimsical medieval theme.
THE LEGEND OF KING MICKEY
@Outbound

All the good pre-55 Disney is taken? While I don’t necessarily agree, I do salute your choice to create something more original instead. Fantasyland needs more of that! Doing a medieval story: good. Choosing a distinct “pop-up book” aesthetic: good. Bringing in Mickey & Pals: good. There is nothing but good decisions being made here. If other players wind up besting you in this round, it’ll be thanks to a difference in details.​

The Magician's Keep

View attachment 436910

Journey behind the curtain of the Great Magician, Alec Kazeem (An original character inspired by Houdini and other turn of the century stage magicians) who is "performing" in an English theater next to Toad Hall, for a dark ride that is full to the brim of interesting optical illusions and state of the art (for 1955) special effects meant to immerse guests in the world of magic tricks and illusions with the loose framing device of helping Kazeem chase down his rabbit, Abbie.
THE MAGICIAN’S KEEP
@Pi on my Cake

A wholly original idea?! Yes please! The magic show concept is intriguing…a bit better suited for Main Street in my opinion, but still broadly in-keeping with Fantasyland. I’m having difficulty imagining a magic show done in the dark ride format. Such rides usually work best when telling stories of travel or adventure; this seems like a live stage show idea, honestly. And by “next to Toad Hall,” I’m assuming this would go where the Alice in Wonderland dark ride is? Peter Pan’s Flight is on Toad’s other side, and even in 1955 Disneyland’s Fantasyland was getting overcrowded.
mickey-and-the-beanstalk-625x350.jpg

Mickey's Fearless Quest
Journey with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy, as they go on a quest up a magic beanstalk on this two-story dark ride based on the 1947 short Mickey and the Beanstalk, they go high into the clouds above Happy Valley searching for food and narrowly escape Willie the Giant.
MICKEY’S FEARLESS QUEST
@Flippin'Flounder

See, @Outbound, not all the good pre-55 stuff was taken. Here’s a Mickey-centric ride which perfectly fits Fantasyland. This would be a fun dark ride story, as riders act as heroes alongside Mickey & Pals experiencing the same adventure. A climax against a full-scale Willie (even done with the era’s technical limitations) would be jaw-dropping. I imagine this ride would be very similar to Alice in Wonderland. An outdoor beanstalk section twisting around like Alice’s vines? How awesome would that be?

@gam3rprincess, we missed you! Hopefully you'll find the time with work and whatnot to play in future rounds.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
Challenge 1 results!

It is truly impressive how well every one of you understands the needs and limits of a Fantasyland dark ride. These are emotional journeys. They complement each other.

When everyone has a strong idea, the details play a big role. This is a common factor in the One Sentence Competition. Details help make your ideas more believable. It’s that believability – how easily I could picture a ride fitting into Disneyland – where our medalists really excelled.

Everyone who submitted gets 1 point. Extra points go to our medalists.

Bronze medal (1 point)

25378926288_0282b49fa8_o_d.png

@Tux – The Salvation of the Reluctant Dragon

A strong and unexpected early idea, one which is well-suited to Disneyland’s dark ride suite.

Silver medal (2 points)

25378923678_32843d468b_o_d.png

@Disneylover152 – Dumbo’s Fantastic Journey

The modified image elevates your already-strong proposal, overcoming a slightly redundant theme.

Gold medal (3 points)
25378924938_877ca558df_o_d.png

@Evilgidgit – Bambi’s Passing of Seasons

You’ve nailed the tonal/emotional component which is central to a Fantasyland dark ride, and you packed in a ton of details to boot!

Cheers to everyone who contributed! Challenge 2 will appear tomorrow at noon (EST).

Flippin'Flounder

THE LEGEND OF KING MICKEY
@Outbound

All the good pre-55 Disney is taken? While I don’t necessarily agree, I do salute your choice to create something more original instead. Fantasyland needs more of that! Doing a medieval story: good. Choosing a distinct “pop-up book” aesthetic: good. Bringing in Mickey & Pals: good. There is nothing but good decisions being made here. If other players wind up besting you in this round, it’ll be thanks to a difference in details.

THE MAGICIAN’S KEEP
@Pi on my Cake

A wholly original idea?! Yes please! The magic show concept is intriguing…a bit better suited for Main Street in my opinion, but still broadly in-keeping with Fantasyland. I’m having difficulty imagining a magic show done in the dark ride format. Such rides usually work best when telling stories of travel or adventure; this seems like a live stage show idea, honestly. And by “next to Toad Hall,” I’m assuming this would go where the Alice in Wonderland dark ride is? Peter Pan’s Flight is on Toad’s other side, and even in 1955 Disneyland’s Fantasyland was getting overcrowded.

MICKEY’S FEARLESS QUEST
@Flippin'Flounder

See, @Outbound, not all the good pre-55 stuff was taken. Here’s a Mickey-centric ride which perfectly fits Fantasyland. This would be a fun dark ride story, as riders act as heroes alongside Mickey & Pals experiencing the same adventure. A climax against a full-scale Willie (even done with the era’s technical limitations) would be jaw-dropping. I imagine this ride would be very similar to Alice in Wonderland. An outdoor beanstalk section twisting around like Alice’s vines? How awesome would that be?

@gam3rprincess, we missed you! Hopefully you'll find the time with work and whatnot to play in future rounds.​
An outdoor portion was not what I was going for, but I love that idea!

D Hulk

Original Poster
CHALLENGE 2
1960s
enhance

While Disneyland continued to flourish throughout the 1960s, arguably Imagineering’s greatest triumphs of the decade took place at the 1964 New York World’s Fair. Disney’s revolutionary contributions includes It’s a Small World, Carousel of Progress, Great Moment with Mr. Lincoln, and Ford’s Magic Skyway (a PeopleMover prototype).

Your task is to propose an additional Disney attraction for the 1964 World’s Fair.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish, that is optional. The deadline is Wednesday, January 1st, 2020, at noon EST.
(It’s the only time surrounding the New Year holiday when I can realistically do reviews.)

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple, Silly! We are officially back to one sentence, so don’t overcomplicate things. Think of this like an initial brainstorming session.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

D Hulk

Original Poster
Does it have to be an existing attraction around the time or a brand new one? Little confused on the wording.
It needs to be a brand new attraction. Something entirely new which could fit the 1964 World’s Fair. If you can suggest how the new attraction could later go into the parks, like Small World or Carousel of Progress did, that will strengthen your idea.

Research will be helpful in this round.

FireMountain

It needs to be a brand new attraction. Something entirely new which could fit the 1964 World’s Fair. If you can suggest how the new attraction could later go into the parks, like Small World or Carousel of Progress did, that will strengthen your idea.

Research will be helpful in this round.
Wait, so is my Skyway to the Future idea OK? Because it technically is a new attraction but it is mainly based on the DL Skyway

D Hulk

Original Poster
Wait, so is my Skyway to the Future idea OK? Because it technically is a new attraction but it is mainly based on the DL Skyway
It is an acceptable idea. The similarity to Disneyland’s Skyway isn’t an issue. However, be warned that the 64WF already had a gondola ride (Swiss Sky Ride), and it also had a ride with visions of the future (Futurama).

Is the World’s Fair topic familiar enough for everyone? I don’t want to make things too complicated.

MickeyMousketeer

It is an acceptable idea. The similarity to Disneyland’s Skyway isn’t an issue. However, be warned that the 64WF already had a gondola ride (Swiss Sky Ride), and it also had a ride with visions of the future (Futurama).

Is the World’s Fair topic familiar enough for everyone? I don’t want to make things too complicated.
I know a few things about the World’s Fair as I’ve researched it before. However, this website may be helpful to get a greater understanding and knowledge of it. nywf64.com

Evilgidgit

I think a good way to solve this is to look at what the 1964 World's Fair attractions represented.

--Carousel of Progress represented American progress through technology.
--Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln celebrated Walt's love for Abraham Lincoln, reflecting American politics and ideals.
--It's A Small World was a prayer for peace, cultural representation, and international unity.
--Ford Magic Skyway in a manner represented the evolution of human transportation and innovation.

I feel this theme should be represented in our choices.

D Hulk

Original Poster
I think a good way to solve this is to look at what the 1964 World's Fair attractions represented.

--Carousel of Progress represented American progress through technology.
--Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln celebrated Walt's love for Abraham Lincoln, reflecting American politics and ideals.
--It's A Small World was a prayer for peace, cultural representation, and international unity.
--Ford Magic Skyway in a manner represented the evolution of human transportation and innovation.

I feel this theme should be represented in our choices.
I like how you break it down. Recall also the Fair’s motto, “Peace through understanding,” which can apply to Disney’s many contributions. Their secondary motto was “Man’s achievement on a shrinking globe in an expanding universe.”

For another way to think about this, consider how much World’s Fair DNA is shared by the original EPCOT Center (especially Future World). Reverse engineering from there should yield something interesting.

Evilgidgit

Right here we go!

Rhythm of the Natural World (sponsored by Royal Botanic Gardens Kew)
396726444_5ce7c954be_o.jpg

Using the brand new "Omnimover" technology developed by WED, Kew takes taking guests on a pleasant but informative journey through three artificial indoor biomes that represent a tropical rainforest, an arid desert, and a chilly northern forest, where plants from around the world grow, tended to be professional gardeners and biologists, showing how these plants adapt and survive in these exotic landscapes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom