One Sentence Competition - Season 5 Episode 2

D Hulk

Original Poster
PRACTICE PROMPT
1940s

enhance

This episode of One Sentence Competition shall be a decade-by-decade tour through the history of Disney Parks. For this Practice Prompt, we travel to a time before Walt Disney Studios entered the realm of theme parks, to a time when short cartoons were still their bread and butter. In this time, Disney was best known for iconic cartoon characters such as the Fab Five – Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, & Pluto. But what if they were the Fab Six?

Your task is to create a new character to be added to Disney's Fab Five.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish, that is optional. As this is a Practice Prompt, there will be no points; it’s purely for fun. The deadline is Wednesday, Christmas Day, at midnight EST.

Reviews will appear the following morning, followed by Challenge 1.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple, Silly! We are officially back to one sentence, so don’t overcomplicate things. Think of this like an initial brainstorming session.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Tux

David Duck
The sixth member of the now Fab Six; the son of Daisy and Donald Duck, approximately around 10-13 years old, who's known for his typically sickening sweet behavior like his mother most of the time, but, capable of a temper the wrath of Mount St. Helens in times of stress, who is typically well behaved around Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto, but, bickers a lot with Donald, and frequently gets frustrated with Goofy although he doesn't actually hate him.

Sam Magic

Sorry I got caught up in the festivities this week. I'll play, but I might not always be active. Here's my submission for the practice prompt.

Teddy Bear

Disney Bear.PNG

First appearing in the 1942 short Teddy and the Bull Moose, Teddy Bear quickly became a favorite Disney character across the United States during World War 2 and a Disney icon in the post-war era; this was due to the character's inspiration being fmr. President Theodore Roosevelt and Teddy's characteristics of bravery, honesty, and trust.

Last edited:

Evilgidgit

Merry Christmas! The artwork is not mine, credit to the original designer.

Introducing... CHUMLEY THE CROC!

Happy_Silly_Jolly_Comic_Animal_Cartoon_-_Alligator_Crocodile_4_579745692_grande.jpg

Making his snappy debut in 1946's "Beachcomber Bites", Chumley is not as terrifying as his teeth may suggest, being a laidback friendly croc who prefers good company and swimming at the beach, encouraging Americans to go vacationing in a post-war world and enjoying the small hours of life.

D Hulk

Original Poster
REVIEWS
The Special Six
Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and....Pal; Pal being the kind, enigmatic, joyful cat, and next door neighbor to Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, who joined the gang in a 1932 short "Neighbors", where Mickey's now infamous "Hiya, Pal!" catchphrase originated.
Pal@spacemt354
Thanks for spearheading the proposals. You demonstrate out-of-the-gate that most crucial One Sentence Competition talent: fitting a lot of info/details into a tiny package. Beyond Pal’s identity, we have an original short, a new group name, a tie-in with Mickey, and a semicolon! A cartoon cat is somewhat obvious, which works out well for this prompt.​

Allie Alligator
View attachment 436040
Allie Alligator is Mickey's friend and a declared vegan, but that doesn't stop his natural instincts from getting the best of him now and then: whenever Mickey and gang are distracted, Allie might sneak up and try to bite... but the gang unknowingly foils him every time.
Allie Alligator@Outbound
Allie the conflicted vegan…that seems a bit modern for a 1940s character. Seems a bit like Finding Nemo’s Bruce (or Tick-Tock from Peter Pan). Still, I’m no gator hater. Allie has a built-in dynamic with Mickey & Pals (Donald would be Allie’s favorite target), which makes him a natural fit. That concept artwork is adorably ragged!​

Olivia Ostrich
View attachment 436066

Originally known as Hortense in the short Donald's Ostrich, Olivia Ostrich is Donald Duck's mischievous, eat-anything pet who has now become the sixth member of The Pals; however she only tries to make a good impression around everyone EXCEPT Donald.​
Olivia Ostrich @MickeyMousketeer
Oh wow! “Donald’s Ostrich” is a real cartoon! I wasn’t expecting actual deep dives into Disney history – y’all know this stuff better than I do. Either you know a lot or you research a lot…either will serve you (and others) well as the competition commences. Lends some real believability.

(BTW, I’m loving these images. A great pic adds a lot to a single sentence!)​

David Duck
The sixth member of the now Fab Six; the son of Daisy and Donald Duck, approximately around 10-13 years old, who's known for his typically sickening sweet behavior like his mother most of the time, but, capable of a temper the wrath of Mount St. Helens in times of stress, who is typically well behaved around Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto, but, bickers a lot with Donald, and frequently gets frustrated with Goofy although he doesn't actually hate him.
David Duck@Tux
David sounds similar to Huey, Dewey & Louie, but with a different relationship with Donald. (The best characters are Donald foils!) For variety’s sake, simply another duck might not be the right choice. I worry his dynamic – sickeningly sweet or deeply angry – makes David a potential Scrappy Doo.​

Sorry I got caught up in the festivities this week. I'll play, but I might not always be active. Here's my submission for the practice prompt.

First appearing in the 1942 short Teddy and the Bull Moose, Teddy Bear quickly became a favorite Disney character across the United States during World War 2 and a Disney icon in the post-war era; this was due to the character's inspiration being fmr. President Theodore Roosevelt and Teddy's characteristics of bravery, honesty, and trust.
Teddy Bear@Sam4D23
Right off the bat, I love Teddy! I am extremely pro-bear. (One attacked my next door neighbor last summer - true story.) Teddy has a ton of believable historical backstory (before looking it up, I thought this was a real 1942 short), tying him in nicely with the era’s mood. You’ve really gotten the “decade” aspect of this prompt. A much better Disney “teddy bear” than Duffy can ever be!​

Merry Christmas! The artwork is not mine, credit to the original designer.

Introducing... CHUMLEY THE CROC!

Happy_Silly_Jolly_Comic_Animal_Cartoon_-_Alligator_Crocodile_4_579745692_grande.jpg

Making his snappy debut in 1946's "Beachcomber Bites", Chumley is not as terrifying as his teeth may suggest, being a laidback friendly croc who prefers good company and swimming at the beach, encouraging Americans to go vacationing in a post-war world and enjoying the small hours of life.
Chumley the Croc@Evilgidgit
First an alligator, now a crocodile?! Is this a Florida thing? Chumley, like Teddy, fits the ‘40s well. I picture him as the solo star of promotional travel shorts, all with a post-war Saludos Amigos vibe. That makes Chumley fun…but not especially fit for the Fab Five. Move Chumley up a few decades, he’d be a perfect star for Disney World resort TV.​

Claire Canary
71LkVikeW3L._SY741_.jpg

Claire is a the small pet of Donald Duck, who is constantly wandering off to chase her dream of seeing the world!
Claire Canary@kmbmw777
Tweety Bird first appeared in 1941’s The Cagey Canary…UH-OH! Could Disney’s legally-distinct knockoff stand out? Claire feels more saccharine (so…more Disney), and the Donald connection could make for an interesting dynamic. Thanks for getting this final submission in under the deadline, despite its lack of detail. Adorable picture!

Other characters I would have accepted: Brown-Nose Bear, Disgruntled Goat, Flatulent Fox, Rich Uncle Skeleton, and Dinner Dog.

Congrats to everyone! I’m impressed with the variety of ideas already. Since this was a Practice Prompt, I won’t be handing out points or ranking the ideas…which would be hard to do anyway. The official game will be starting very soon, and ALL are welcome to participate!

D Hulk

Original Poster
CHALLENGE 1
1950s
enhance

The history of Disney Parks began in 1955 with the opening of Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
Much remains from these humble beginnings, including Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride…the first of many beloved Fantasyland dark rides to come. But what if Disneyland had opened with a fourth?

Your task is to propose a 4th Fantasyland dark ride for Disneyland’s opening day, 1955.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish, that is optional. The deadline is Monday, December 30th, 2019, at midnight EST.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple, Silly! We are officially back to one sentence, so don’t overcomplicate things. Think of this like an initial brainstorming session.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?

Tux

The Salvation Of The Reluctant Dragon
1577380865125.png

I feel as if The Reluctant Dragon had been undermined by the fact that it was released under an animator strike and had to share it's run time with the studio operations tour along with the rest of the shorts in the film, so, in order to do it some justice, why not make it the fourth dark ride for fantasyland in 1955, which would fit in with the pattern of having two full length films with dark rides and having two shorts have their own dark rides, in which the other short is Mr. Toad, but, in order to keep the ride original and not just a copy cat, you ride from the perspective of the boy with the book filling in all important dialogue made by the boy in the film.

Orange Cat

CHALLENGE 1
1950s
enhance

The history of Disney Parks began in 1955 with the opening of Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
Much remains from these humble beginnings, including Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride…the first of many beloved Fantasyland dark rides to come. But what if Disneyland had opened with a fourth?

Your task is to propose a 4th Fantasyland dark ride for Disneyland’s opening day, 1955.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish, that is optional. The deadline is Monday, December 30th, 2019, at midnight EST.

-Tips-

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?

Three little pigs dark ride going through all of the story.

Disneylover152

Dumbo's Fantastic Journey
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.29.14 PM.png

Instead of the Fantasyland Theatre on opening day, in order to create a Dumbo mini-land a classic dark ride is there to takes guests through scenes from Dumbo's story, recreating iconic scenes from the movie including "Baby Mine", the firehouse stunt and "When I See an Elephant Fly".​

Last edited:

MickeyMousketeer

Cinderella’s Royal Carriage Ride
1577386708756.jpeg

Based on 1950's hit Cinderella, Cinderella's Royal Carriage ride sees guests riding in a carriage around several scenes from the film, including a colorful finale in which the carriage turns back into a pumpkin (with the use of lights from the ceiling) and Cinderella marries the prince.​

Evilgidgit

Bambi's Passing of Seasons
scene-Bambi.jpg

In place of the Fantasyland Theatre, a quaint but thematic dark ride based on Bambi opened on Disneyland's opening day, taking guests through four seasons within a great forest, following the life of the fawn Bambi and friends -- Autumn sees the birth of Bambi and his childhood experiences, Winter brings fun and tragedy for the young prince, Spring brings adulthood for Bambi and the confusion that is "twitterpation", while the dramatic Summer brings man and their terrible fire with them, leading to Bambi's rise to becoming the Great Prince.

Note: Didn't include ride vehicles as I have no idea on how to pull that off. Perhaps create the illusion it is going down a river without the water.

Outbound

All the good Disney movies pre-55' are taken, but there's nothing telling me I have to follow them...

The Legend of King Mickey
1577417710797.png
Told in the style of this 1933 pop-up book I just found online, this ride tells the classic Legend of King Arthur starring Mickey Mouse and friends, with Mickey as Arthur, Donald a poorly trained Merlin, and Pete the sinister Mordred; the story is greatly adapted to fit a simple, child-friendly audience, and be suited to Fantasyland's whimsical medieval theme.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
CHALLENGE 1
1950s
enhance

The history of Disney Parks began in 1955 with the opening of Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Much remains from these humble beginnings, including Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride…the first of many beloved Fantasyland dark rides to come. But what if Disneyland had opened with a fourth?

-Rules-

-Tips-

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?

The Magician's Keep

1577511850562.png

Journey behind the curtain of the Great Magician, Alec Kazeem (An original character inspired by Houdini and other turn of the century stage magicians) who is "performing" in an English theater next to Toad Hall, for a dark ride that is full to the brim of interesting optical illusions and state of the art (for 1955) special effects meant to immerse guests in the world of magic tricks and illusions with the loose framing device of helping Kazeem chase down his rabbit, Abbie.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom