One of the Mickey & Minnie Entrance signs a goner now, too?

MrPromey

Original Poster
Bioconstruct thinks they're on their way out:

Guessing feelings on this removal will be a little less split than the ToT sign was.

With additional changes for the intersection planned, hopefully an equivalent will be added back but looking at the pans, I'm not sure there's going to be room to.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Bioconstruct thinks they're on their way out:

Guessing feelings on this removal will be a little less split than the ToT sign was.

With additional changes for the intersection planned, hopefully an equivalent will be added back but looking at the pans, I'm not sure there's going to be room to.

Earlier this week there was a post about the new cloverleaf intersection at that entrance. It's going to be an elevated crossover entrance instead of the current ground-level way so both sides of the signage will have to be either relocated or removed.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Earlier this week there was a post about the new cloverleaf intersection at that entrance. It's going to be an elevated crossover entrance instead of the current ground-level way so both sides of the signage will have to be either relocated or removed.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post but I'm aware of the changes.

Also for reference, the thread below that tweet shows the plans, too.

Based on the changes, it looks like they'd have only a very small space where everything comes together before the first hotel property comes up on the left (with a large water retention area directly to the right just before that) so I think unless they're willing to have it all kind of scoop into an entrance, there isn't going to be one.

MrPromey

Original Poster
He is talking about that one specific sign due to the changes to the intersection. He isn’t saying he believes all of them will be removed.

I know. I also now realize I didn't name the thread very well so I updated it.

It's funny how the twitter thread is just like people on here with those that are like "Doesn't matter - I never go that way."

Be interesting to see if this does or doesn't get replaced and if it doesn't, does that mean any that aren't the "main" hold any value to the company?

lazyboy97o

I know. I also now realize I didn't name the thread very well so I updated it.

It's funny how the twitter thread is just like people on here with those that are like "Doesn't matter - I never go that way."

Be interesting to see if this does or doesn't get replaced and if it doesn't, does that mean any that aren't the "main" hold any value to the company?
Like the billboards, I’ve never liked them, but I doubt anything different would be better.

Brian

So you'd prefer to just have the highway signs and the parking lot toll booths and have that be it?
I would! The welcome signs are a major safety hazard, because moronic tourists feel the need to slam on their brakes as they approach so they can get a picture while driving, or show it off to their family. I've even seen some people go from 65mph to 20mph in under 3 seconds.

Raze them to the ground and salt the Earth with their ashes.

Brian

As for the Hotel Plaza Blvd. sign, the various protestors that stand out there are going to miss it for sure! That's the go-to spot for protesting Disney, and is especially a favorite during stalled union negotiations. Makes for good photo ops for the cause.

MrPromey

Original Poster
So you'd prefer to just have the highway signs and the parking lot toll booths and have that be it?

Well, you said "I’ve never liked them, but I doubt anything different would be better." so...

You're saying you'd prefer to have the current entrances that you just said you never liked?

Not trying to trap you in a weird debate or anything but it seemed like you were insinuating you'd prefer them gone.

MrPromey

Original Poster
I would! The welcome signs are a major safety hazard, because moronic tourists feel the need to slam on their brakes as they approach so they can get a picture while driving, or show it off to their family. I've even seen some people go from 65mph to 20mph in under 3 seconds.

Raze them to the ground and salt the Earth with their ashes.

To a lot of moronic tourists (aka first-timers) it's a big moment passing through those gates, especially families with children.

I remember before they started putting all the stuff up, making it near impossible to stop and pull over, having people run out into the middle of the highway and turn their backs on oncoming traffic to get a picture of their friends and family standing also in the middle of the road in front of those gates in some place.

Haven't seen that in a long time - not since they put all the stuff up to make it more difficult but if the experience of having arrived didn't matter to so many people, we wouldn't all have our own stories of experiences like that.

Personally, I've always found what commonly happens down I4 to get there far worse than any momentary slowdowns on the way into the property.

Guess I was wrong about this not being as divisive as the ToT sign.

There's always going to be someone that violently hates everything, I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

Brian

To a lot of moronic tourists (aka first-timers) it's a big moment passing through those gates, especially families with children.

I remember before they started putting all the stuff up, making it near impossible to stop and pull over, having people run out into the middle of the highway and turn their backs on oncoming traffic to get a picture of their friends and family standing also in the middle of the road in front of those gates in some place.

Haven't seen that in a long time - not since they put all the stuff up to make it more difficult but if the experience of having arrived didn't matter to so many people, we wouldn't all have our own stories of experiences like that.

Personally, I've always found what commonly happens down I4 to get there far worse than any momentary slowdowns on the way into the property.

Guess I was wrong about this not being as divisive as the ToT sign.

There's always going to be someone that violently hates everything, I suppose. 🤷‍♂️
It wouldn't be a very fun family vacation if it started with you causing an accident by braking hard and suddenly for the sign, would it?

I stand by what I said: anyone who is willing to suddenly brake from highway speeds (like all the entrance signs except Hotel Plaza Blvd.) to slow enough to take a picture/"soak it in" is a moron. Your "big moment" isn't worth someone else's life, limb, or property.

Honestly, safely pulling over to the shoulder/right of way grass to take a photo from the grass is safer than the hard braking I'm describing. I wish people would do that instead of potentially causing accidents, but there are plentiful signs warning against it.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Original Poster
It wouldn't be a very fun family vacation if it started with you causing an accident by braking hard and suddenly for the sign, would it?

I stand by what I said: anyone who is willing to suddenly brake from highway speeds (like all the entrance signs except Hotel Plaza Blvd.) to slow enough to take a picture/"soak it in" is a moron. Your "big moment" isn't worth someone else's life, limb, or property.

Honestly, safely pulling over to the shoulder/right of way grass to take a photo from the grass is safer than the hard braking I'm describing. I wish people would do that instead of potentially causing accidents, but there are plentiful signs warning against it.
I guess I've just never experienced what your describing it the way your describing it.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Having worked at WDW for several decades, I can tell you that it has happened more times than I'd care to remember, markedly more so after the rise of the smartphone.
Okay... so we're talking about the experience as a cast member dealing with it all daily trying to get to work - I see the difference.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Having worked at WDW for several decades, I can tell you that it has happened more times than I'd care to remember, markedly more so after the rise of the smartphone.
Isn't it funny how different peoples experiences are in WDW. I have made 49 trips to WDW averaging about 3 days each. Except for one 4 day trip I always stayed offsite so I went down World Drive everyday of my visits. Never once have I seen people stop to photograph those object along the way. Also I don't believe the speed limit on that stretch ever exceed 40 mph. So there is no 65 down to 20, or shouldn't be. As long as we are discussing it I have never been hit by a stroller or a scooter but I have seen a lot of people get hit that just stepped out in front of them without looking, If people cannot stay alert enough to protect themselves from harm, I guess it is easier to blame it on others.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Also I don't believe the speed limit on that stretch ever exceed 40 mph. So there is no 65 down to 20, or shouldn't be.

There might be if you're a cast member about to be late for work.

That sounds snarky but I think we've all been in a similar situation so I'm saying that earnestly.

Brian

Isn't it funny how different peoples experiences are in WDW. I have made 49 trips to WDW averaging about 3 days each. Except for one 4 day trip I always stayed offsite so I went down World Drive everyday of my visits. Never once have I seen people stop to photograph those object along the way. Also I don't believe the speed limit on that stretch ever exceed 40 mph. So there is no 65 down to 20, or shouldn't be. As long as we are discussing it I have never been hit by a stroller or a scooter but I have seen a lot of people get hit that just stepped out in front of them without looking, If people cannot stay alert enough to protect themselves from harm, I guess it is easier to blame it on others.
Just because you haven't encountered it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

cranbiz

Just because you haven't encountered it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
That is the truth. When I was doing my bus training, the first thing the instructor said was "Did you see the great big yellow buckets by the Welcome to Walt Disney World signs? Those are where the guests deposit their brains when visiting."

He was exaggerating of course, but in some ways he wasn't. I have seen too many guests do dumb things at those signs and others around the resort in my 5 years as a CM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom