One Little Spark- Season 2: The Quest for More Views

PerGron

PerGron's Reviews

@tcool123- Disney's Memories Resort

So, as always, the amount of detail in this project is astounding. Reading this really felt like it was news for an actual resort being constructed, so for that, I commend you. I also commend you on choosing to do a value resort as opposed to a moderate or deluxe as most people have probably done.

The Inside Out theme is minor, but I did appreciate it when it was there to add a little bit of Disney flare into the project. All of your tabs about Amenities, Recreation, and the rooms themselves were full of information like it was an actual hotel's website, and while that goes again with the amount of detail you put in, I cannot stress enough how much I appreciated it.

Overall, great job.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Imagineer Sroo- Disney's Skyline Resort
So this hotel is one I was actually pulling for when you announced what you were going to be doing, and overall, I really did enjoy what you did. The project feels like if Disney did a take on New York living in the 1920s.

My biggest issue here is the amount of detail you put into your restaurant vs the hotel itself. I would have preferred to know more about the hotel than what we got here. That being said, I did appreciate all the eateries, recreation, and especially the little map you gave us.

Overall, a solid project.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Pi on my Cake- Storybrooke Inn
A bold choice, I must admit. So I watched the first two seasons of Once Upon a Time and kind of bailed from there, so I was admittedly worried about this project.

That being said, you took what I didn't think could be done, and instead made a charming New England themed hotel with fantasy elements, and I really apprectiated that. I really appreciated the addition of a library, something Disney has never had. As a New Englander (especially a Mainah, the state Storybrooke is set in), the New England theme hits home and is something I'd love to have represented in a Disney hotel, and I think you did a great job with that.

The additional bits such as the shop, the diner, and the pool were a lot of fun, and I could see all of it fitting really well. My only issue is the realism of a OUAT resort being relevant. It isn't a takeaway, nor is it anything I'll dock you for, but I wanted to just put it out there.

Overall, a very fun presentation

PerGron

PerGron's Reviews 2: Electric Boogaloo

@Tux- Disney's Retro Era Resort

So this presentation was just... Wow.

Tux, while normally I'd talk about the presentation itself in these reviews, Instead I wanted to make this comment. You have seriously grown so far in this round alone. While there were ideas I liked better than your idea, your presentation really showed me what you can to as an imagineer and it was incredibly impressive.

The amount of detail in this presentation was incredibly impressive and it took me way longer than I thought it would to read through. Overall, you've really impressed me here, congratulations and amazing job.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@AceAstro- Miss Piggy in a Blanket: The Muppets Hotel
So when I mentioned that there were ideas that I really liked the concept of. As a big fan of The Muppets, I really liked the concept shown here.

The project itself lacks detail. Reading it, there were no room descriptions, nothing about amenities, etc. While I enjoyed all of the references to The Muppets and their multiple shows and films, I felt like this project was lacking quite a bit of detail. Despite that, I really did enjoy what you had.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Miru - All Star Video Games
So I think without saying you already know the issues with your project. It feels to me like you forgot about the project or the deadline or something here, and it's honestly very disappointing.

Real life comes first, that we understand, but you seemed very active in the PMs about your idea, so to see this be all you put out, I was shocked to see it.

I think this concept is a great one and would work so well as a value resort, and I would have loved to see what you did with this hotel, I suppose it is what it is. And something is better than nothing!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

PerGron

PerGron's Reviews 3

@Sam4D23- Disney's Fansong Resort

So this was a prokect I didn't expect to have seen, but I'm glad I did. It was quite a great read. China makes for such a deep and rich theme for anything in the parks, whether its a land, a ride, a hotel, or a restaurant, so it was a smart choice to go with China as your theme.

The idea of Tea Houses instead of standard rooms was a lot of fun and was definitely one that I appreciated. As for the power play, I think this was one of the most fun power plays we've done, and you really went for it. I really enjoyed your boat ride.

Overall, a very fun presentation.
===========================================================
@D Hindley- Masai Adventure Camp
"Hey, how do we once again win PerGron over? Oh I know, let's make Animal Kingdom, but you can sleep in a tent there."

Is that what went through your head, because you know damn well it worked if it did. I'm a big fan of camping, so making this a very rugged and immersive camping experience was such a cool idea. I really don't think I can praise this idea enough. While I do have to say, your presentation leaves a little bit to be desired (on the detail of the camp front) I can't fault you as you're abroad and I didn't even expect you to submit this round.

Overall, great job, and know that win or don't win the round, your project won my heart

Sam Magic

Know submissions are in, but one of the reviewers asked for a map. Judges, please do not consider the following in your final deliberations. Only posting this for interested souls.

I decided to not make a map this round as I wanted to see if I could create a compelling proposal with just words...I think I could've been better, but I have a rough idea of where my resort would be located:

Back in 2007 there were plans to follow through with the 1971 plans of expanding Seven Seas Lagoon. Originally I intended to propose the creation of two new resorts based on this expansion. The first expansion would be on the top part of the image above and would've been a new golf resort. At the bottom half of the image is the imagined location of the Fansong Resort. Constructed on the current site of the golf resort, golf lakes would be turned into a canal/lake/garden system with a new canal being constructed between Grand Flo and Poly in order to connect the resort to the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Outbound

Original Poster
Outbound's Reviews
I was away this week, so apologies for my short, straightforward reviews.
@tcool123 - The detail is through the roof here, amazing job. From the art to the writing to the finer details. I also love how you opted for a value resort and embraced the cheesiness. However, I do have a core issue with the theme. It's going to feel outdated from the moment it opens. I like the focus on memories but the emphasis on the polaroid camera creates a cheesy vibe I can't see happening in the real world. This is partially made up for with the hashtag. I love that part because it keeps to the theme of making memories while transporting us to the modern era. Modern memories are made with social media - so I think that should have played a larger role in the theme you chose.

@Imagineer Sroo - Wow! Sroo, you've really improved your skills during this game. That opening title card grabs your attention, and it never let's lose. This is a great project, I loved the looks into all the various entertainment and dining here. Truthfully, the only thing limiting you from the golden ticket is the lack of emphasis with rooms. They are definitely the most boring part of these projects, but they are like lettuce in a salad. But this doesn't detract much from the enjoyment of the salad project. Out of all the various resorts presented here, yours is the one I would pick for my next Disney vacation.

@Pi on my Cake - I have never seen Once Upon A Time, but I know the premise, and I think it would work wonderfully as a resort! That and New England is always great. Everything you set out to accomplish is done wonderfully, I loved the library most of all. However, by the end of the project, I found myself still confused as to how the resort worked. I like putting the lobby outside, but then there's the question of where the rooms are. Above the dining/retail, like a regular town? Or is it all connected inside? I think a map (or just a bit more explanation) would have gone a long way to help this project.

@Tux - This is the rare project that masters all three essential imagineering components. Detail. This was the only project to go in-depth which the workings of every single room, although it didn't just stop there, no, we also have three complete menus. Presentation. The choice of making your project a blog creates the feeling of an imagineer at work, describing every part of your process day by day, random tangents included. And most importantly, passion. From the first post to the final post, there was this feeling of a "journey" from the early sparks of imagination to the project's completion. Bravo.

@AceAstro - Who doesn't like a Muppet Hotel? Reading through your project, I like all the ideas presented and think it would make for a top tier project... had there been more detail. Totally understand if you didn't have enough time, etc, just when put up against these massive presentations it's hard to get behind.

@Miru - Is it a good idea? Yes. This is a case of the Muppets times a dozen. I wish you had put a little bit more time into describing your resort.

@Sam4D23 - This sounds spectacular, from the themes to the unique rooms to the canal boats. And perhaps the most realistic - I'm really surprised Disney has yet to act on a China resort. There isn't much I have to dislike here, besides maybe a bit more detail with the menu and some variation + pricings with the rooms. I'd love to come here!

@D Hindley - This is the boldest of all the projects, opting for a true "jungle safari". While that's more PerGron's tea (I'd prefer to say at the Skyline or Fangsong) I am still impressed, one by the project, and two by your still here! Though we'd typically mark you out for being "late" we are making an exception as you are on the other side of the planet. Fantastic job!

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
1564719466725-png.395309

There was so much improvement this round! There's a ton of projects this round that I feel deserve that second/third spot, but they just could not make the cut. Still, you should be proud of your work, and remember there are more opportunities moving forward.

Third Place + Power Play Victor
This resort is filled with entertainment, but it handles it differently than most. Where most resorts have the hotel at the focus with entertainment for guests to enjoy a relaxing stay, this resort makes the entertainment the heart and soul of the resort.

@D Hindley of Team Red, with the MASAI ADVENTURE CAMP!

117529.jpg

For those keeping track, the Power Play Score is now at:
2 - 3
Second Place
This resort is proof you don't need to something fancy for magic. Rather, it embraces its cheesy routes to utilize an incredible scope of detail.

@tcool123 of Team Red, with DISNEY'S MEMORIES RESORT!

108808.jpg
First Place
This resort came out of nowhere and wowed the judges in nearly every way.

@Tux of Team Red, with DISNEY'S RETRO ERA RESORT!

129456.jpg

@Tux , with this victory you have secured the First Golden Ticket and are now guaranteed a spot in the Final Four, who partake in the winner-take-all final round. Congratulations!
Overall Team Victor

Congratulations!

1564720075628-png.395313

Team Red dominated this round, but we have a feeling Team Green's got a trick up their sleeve...

2 - 3

Outbound

Original Poster

The epic battle continues as we approach the final team-based challenge.

But oh no! @NateD1226 has left Team Green, and @D Hindley has made a surprise return onto Team Red! Thinking fast, Team Green has decided to give their enemies a taste of their own medicine!

At the end of the last individual round,
Team Green gave up their "greatest champion" to Team Red - @tcool123 , who had won first place. This round, Team Red is giving Team Green the winner of the last round - @Tux !

129456.jpg

Tux has now joined
Team Green!

Outbound

Original Poster
AMN-3pYCjsOd3ODVdsPddOpw2ynnsiP2pNXjo56-S_nZwl2-TMXWhNYZnBdt5kS1Ga1LZyIuJ1p6ML3ujwtpIk-G6z_lcIQEsSkV1702ganXyMh90HgTsnpRPs2N69p0RvoeS0M
5I19Y-hyJfSB36oR8AiKPfMmz8js2NXURqlIzF9bE7QuAZnYEVTDjnJVT0lQwdfLJ_RN7Mci8QgLJ7f5yCMg5Is1DllANP6HPlNsixeuuZh6BTwhoHWUMbL7YRlYI8Gto7F-QkU

You’ve been playing this game for over a month now! Together, you’ve created a new dinosaur kingdom, expanded Disney Springs, and added another shining peak to the Magic Kingdom. Today will be your last team-based round.

Teams will create one new restaurant for a Disney Water Park.

- This scene will be an All For One- Group Based Project. Your whole team will work together to make the project.

- You may use Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach
- It may be built thanks to a new pathway/road, but do not make it part of a massive ride expansion.

- The restaurant can be a simple snack stand, or an expansive triple-dollar-sign restaurant just outside the park gates.

This challenge is due in five days. Friday, August 23rd at 11:59 PM WDW Time, 8:59 PM Disneyland Time.

You may have noticed this round is significantly shorter than any round prior. This is intentional. Like "Gaston's Bar Brawl" from the Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame, this round is all about speed and efficiency.

Best of luck to both teams!

Imagineer Brandon

mahana.png

Aloha! Welcome to Mahana, located just outside the entrance of Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. This relaxed table service restaurant pays tribute to the culture and cuisine of Hawaii. Guests can enter Mahana through the park or its front entrance.

Through reading, looking at photos, and talking to cast members, guests can piece together the story of Mahana. Mahana was once the lagoon’s premier surf shop, owned by a native Hawaiian named Umi. The legendary typhoon that forever changed the lagoon ravaged the building, sending Umi into a deep depression. During the aftermath of this tragedy, he discovered a talent for cooking. This brought him out of his despair and lead to an epiphany that he should rebuild the shop as a restaurant. Mahana has been serving visitors of the lagoon ever since.

Remnants of the restaurant’s past are easy to find. Most obviously, the building still resembles a classic wooden surf shop. Inside, surfboards owned by famous surfers can be found on the walls, all of them signed. Other decor includes tikis, paintings and photographs of Hawaii, and a mural of Hawaii’s most famous rulers above the bar.

To further immerse guests, the restaurant only plays Hawaiian music. From folk music to the songs of famous artists like IZ to more niche genres like cachi cachi, there’s something from everyone. Mahana offers table and booth seating for families, as well as a bar for older guests. No matter what you order or where you sit, we hope you enjoy your visit to Mahana.

The restaurant's menu can be found here. For a fee of six dollars, guests can have any menu item except the Big Kahuna served in a pineapple bowl.

Outbound

Original Poster
Outbound's Reviews

Team Red was at an enormous disadvantage this week. Three of their five had higher priorities in the real world, leaving just @Imagineer Sroo and @Sam4D23 to create the project. You two did an amazing job. Your communication was on point and your vision solid from the start.

This is a great restaurant proposal. The menu is fantastic - every item appears carefully thought over. And instead of just typing it out, you went for a PDF, which amps up the quality big time. One question that is bugging me: where is the specialty item from the power play? You have an entire menu's worth of content, but I couldn't find anyone item you were highlighting.

I also like the general atmosphere described. I love how you’ve gone Hawaiian. All of Typhoon Lagoon’s current restaurants are “American”, so to see something more authentic helps tie the dining to the park's theme.

Placing Manhana just outside the water park is brilliant. You don’t have the issue of guests having to dry off to sit down. Instead, they’ll come before entering or leaving the park. My one suggestion would be to further capitalize on this and have a separate “breakfast” menu for early in the morning. But that definitely wasn’t in the scope of the project.

Overall, this is a great example of how to create a solid restaurant project!​

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
zPwMcL82zBmZdbzvcvy5VXtdF_HRKp8bx3xfU792ZNAp2a5DWTGUxf9rcTZ3SI7qjk838pQVu4q1UHiTOPkY4GilFujfCeLLPgN5m2LiM_E8ufVa0ncdqRefIrFFV6QFtvoPt9oC

Team Green entered this round with an awesome mindset. You guys wanted to go beyond the prompt and create something “different”. @Pi on my Cake did a great job leading the team. You brainstormed different categories and then assigned all five members in different parts. And you kept checking in and updating the team on progress. This is all gives way to your boldest project yet.

There is more detail here, and it’s put (mostly) to great use. The backstory is cool, tying itself into Typhoon Lagoon’s history while also introducing new elements to discover. The sideways pirate ship is iconic. The singing skeleton pirate hilarious. All in all, this is the perfect set-up for a restaurant.

My biggest problem is that while you were all so invested in going beyond the limits of a traditional restaurant prompt, you forgot about the core of a prompt. There is no menu beyond the specialty items. I’m also unsure whether this is a table or counter service.

Overall, this is a really interesting project. It has some amazing unexpected elements but is lacking in others. It’s the exact opposite of Team Red, which was very solid (and somewhat formulaic). But every time I think about these things my mind wanders back to the awesome implementation of Maldito Cuerpo, the skeleton pianist.

This week is turning into a competition of solid planning versus bold originality. This is going to be a close one.​

Outbound

Original Poster
The Judges will need more time to deliberate. Until then, welcome to:

hQ_osgiAV-Jzg46L17zGHxy4_etSoUfWyfY_FCXdQ-0728Bnq2YgqRlCJP-XzLz9g5Zhwmghp7TMjaWeYSAjjDhgQJmlZRUkTuYa6zFk1VRxm3hxdLl_kIVURrFfZZcwS63GNTE

Congratulations, you have completed Act Two!

SEA is getting annoying. It's getting a bit absurd how much they're chasing us for some silly ship, but oh well. I suppose:

C6rK1xPtKoKd_qoKflfSDQMf_Nzn9BUPgsFxZILsI7M8UjlE7w46hGQq94YYzozcmJryR46IpeZyshNPI1HWl0OzNlI-WIeF1RSp-jqFY32HDIGZJfGOPP4VYdr4I1z5m9Ztrcc

We only have so long to wrap this up. So Act Three sees a return to Act One- fewer constraints. There are three golden tickets remaining. By the end of this week, all finalists will be determined.

We've been to the Animal Kingdom. To DisneySprings. To Epcot, to the Magic Kingdom, and all 27 Disney resorts. We've even visited the water parks. There is only one more place left in Walt Disney World...

aytiHtOeYiZ8Ej-1kE8QKkAoaY0b5K4chLxeW0eaTRWJm_jhPX4uMvq3NPI2B9U7kbi3gdP0_7R7Mc7wPT_XaE3hPmlxdZH1tKQAIz-vp0e2CZFDE18pci1eqLa9oKQWA01jRUI

Outbound

Original Poster
-zj0-X6fOE7UUNRXa4jMW3nVH8b0t-ByZ4oTcHXMfOgiKj6Ak4fI7MfQs1f9LIJdizi-MIZne8vqDb2PMnwtwkfxYVdZ3QTPk3kSNMI10AF6P2MJ_E-1BSryNFOOsvtZIWvLw8Q

8-Q03QKf0e9ahkepMYwopROciPHOjexKFFTqtCUM_5ZUq6nhJoQJ9WjqngLCzIObmp91B76Cfkbzq-gD7UbZwInHeG5bqQ7VyS9dnuMDA19iPQsJX3YEAdP4Gw7QOYbgnFLGeks

Disney’s Hollywood Studios is well known for their live shows. To small scale street shows all the way to Fantasmic at night, the Studios lives up to its name.

For our last public round, contestants will create a new live show for Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

- This scene will be a One for All: Individual-Based Project. There will be this one prompt that all players will have to submit their own individual projects for. Team brainstorming threads will still be sent out for this round and players are encouraged to help each other and brainstorm and talk about the project with their team!

- Go all out. This is your last chance to enter the finale. But if you don’t make it, no worries! You will still be able to compete...

The winner will receive a Golden Ticket, which grants them access to the Finale. Meanwhile, the overall team winnings of the PowerPlay and the Rounds proper will get to elects one of their own to the finale. This makes for a total of four finalists. The winners of the PowerPlay and Overall will be announced after this round concludes.

@Tux already holds a ticket. They may choose to be a guest judge this round, or partake in the challenge. If they partake they will be reviewed, but not ranked.

This challenge is due in seven days. Saturday, August 31st at 11:59 AM WDW Time, or 8:59 PM Disneyland Time.

Best of luck to both teams!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom