One Little Spark 3: The Spark Squad - Main Competition Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
REVIEWS PART 1
(I don't know if these reviews will be taken into consideration but I figured if they are.. they would be a bit more useful with a grading scale)

@Imagineer Brandon - Star Trek: Engage

While more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan, I can appreciate the fandom that went into this proposal. A nice blend of realism mixed with a bit of creative fantasy, the custom logo does well to capture the mood of the attraction itself. The proposal is very well crafted albeit a bit shorter compared to some of the other proposals but nevertheless is a nice finale to a successful season from the defending champion of OLS.

Creativity - 8/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 7/10
Presentation - 8/10
-----------------
Total - 32/40

@Brer Panther - The Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Ride

Quite the Looney name! Your passion for this franchise shines through in this proposal, as much of the dialogue in the description truly does sound like the characters. As always your prose is very well executed. I think at least in the last few years your writing combined with your talent for artwork has come a long way in these games and you should be proud of what you have accomplished.

Creativity - 8/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 8/10
Presentation - 7/10
---------------
Total - 31/40

@TheOriginalTiki - Cinemassecre's Monster Madness

The purpose of this prompt was about nostalgia and while everyone here did choose projects that were fit to their liking - this was a project I could tell was not only nostalgic but had passion behind it above and beyond. Whether it's the understanding of the source material or the unique placement in Epic Universe, something about this project while probably never seeing the light of day just resonated with me. It feels like it understood the prompt the best out of all the projects and that is something that should be taken into consideration.

The project itself is filled with an original style and diction that fits the source material, having briefly researched some of Cinemassecre's content. The artwork is great as well as the general layout of the attraction, focusing on horror elements but in an atypical fashion compared to other projects based in horror. I especially like the A24 influence as that is something that should in the future become a staple in horror based theme park attractions.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 10/10
Presentation - 10/10
-------------
Total: 38/40

Disney Warrior

REVIEWS PART 1
(I don't know if these reviews will be taken into consideration but I figured if they are.. they would be a bit more useful with a grading scale)

@Imagineer Brandon - Star Trek: Engage

While more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan, I can appreciate the fandom that went into this proposal. A nice blend of realism mixed with a bit of creative fantasy, the custom logo does well to capture the mood of the attraction itself. The proposal is very well crafted albeit a bit shorter compared to some of the other proposals but nevertheless is a nice finale to a successful season from the defending champion of OLS.

Creativity - 8/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 7/10
Presentation - 8/10
-----------------
Total - 32/40

@Brer Panther - The Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Ride

Quite the Looney name! Your passion for this franchise shines through in this proposal, as much of the dialogue in the description truly does sound like the characters. As always your prose is very well executed. I think at least in the last few years your writing combined with your talent for artwork has come a long way in these games and you should be proud of what you have accomplished.

Creativity - 8/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 8/10
Presentation - 7/10
---------------
Total - 31/40

@TheOriginalTiki - Cinemassecre's Monster Madness

The purpose of this prompt was about nostalgia and while everyone here did choose projects that were fit to their liking - this was a project I could tell was not only nostalgic but had passion behind it above and beyond. Whether it's the understanding of the source material or the unique placement in Epic Universe, something about this project while probably never seeing the light of day just resonated with me. It feels like it understood the prompt the best out of all the projects and that is something that should be taken into consideration.

The project itself is filled with an original style and diction that fits the source material, having briefly researched some of Cinemassecre's content. The artwork is great as well as the general layout of the attraction, focusing on horror elements but in an atypical fashion compared to other projects based in horror. I especially like the A24 influence as that is something that should in the future become a staple in horror based theme park attractions.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 10/10
Presentation - 10/10
-------------
Total: 38/40
Although I’m not technically a finalist, I would still like some feedback (or just a small acknowledgment) for my “project”, I want to know what I did good, I‘m not being mean here

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
REVIEWS PART 2

@Miru - BIONICLE: Chronicle of Light

Okay wow - this is not what I was expecting. First off, I can see the passion behind this property - I think future competition designers have to keep this in mind and have at least one lego project in the comps to let you run wild with this. Much like @PerGron has become the 'zoo guy' and @Mickeynerd17 the 'epcot guy' - you my friend should be consulted whenever there is anything to do with legos.

As impressed as I am with it though I do feel a sense of disappointment we didn't get to see more of this from you throughout the season. While the winner is based on the finals, I do feel participation throughout the season, including leading team projects and valiant effort to get to this point should also be considered. That may just be mine opinion, but it's also a testament to your talent because I want to see MORE of this amazing work.

Creativity - 8/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 10/10
Presentation - 9/10
-------------
Total - 36/40

@ThemeParkPriest - As the World Moves!

Love the website and backstory - how you were able to combine some of the best of Test Track and World of Motion into one attraction. That lift hill would really change the landscape of the Future World section of Epcot for sure! You are right that transportation is truly a staple of Disney, and I do think this ride would encapsulate that nostalgia. While I would be remiss to say I'd miss Test Track in all of this, I do think this attraction keeps that level of thrill and some of the elements of Test Track so saying good-bye wouldn't be as hard. Overall I think this project represents your dedication to the season - and contributions to this forum as Mr. Reliable!

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 7/10
Detail - 10/10
Presentation - 10/10
--------------
Total - 37/40

@Solaris Knight - Power Rangers: Mystic Journey

This is 90s nostalgia for sure - a neat entry that brings about some innovative designs for this IP. I would have liked to know a little bit more about the attraction but suffice to say I think it was organized well on the doc, it was well-written, and planned out with the location and everything taking effect. Nice way to round out the season on a high note!

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 7/10
Detail - 7/10
Presentation - 9/10
------------
Total - 32/40

spacemt354

Chili's
View attachment 630300
That’s right! Former Assist Trophy @Disney Warrior is joining the battle as an new DLC fighter!

Presenting to you:

Super Smash Bros: Ultimate Smash (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ:究極のスマッシュ)
View attachment 630302

Now, as you guys may or may not know, I love Nintendo. Heck, I was almost going to make a park based on Nintendo IPs. I’ve had a Smash Ultimate background for months now, the first Smash game I played was 3DS/WiiU in 2014, and Smash Bros also kinda exposed me to other franchises like Pokemon, Kirby, and Splatoon.

Because I am an evil fool, I am taking out the entirety of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Japan and replacing it with a Super Nintendo World expansion themed to Hyrule from TLOZ, with Smash Bros in between both areas, acting as a transition.

Outside Area and Queue:View attachment 630304
The area outside of the ride is themed to the All Star Rest Area, specifically the one from Melee with the Kirby music. Nearby, there is a restaurant and a shop where you can items themed around many different IPs such as Mario, Kirby, Zelda, and Pokemon. The queue is themed around a mishmash of different areas from Brawl’s Subspace Emissary such as Midair Stadium and the Research Facility.

The Ride:
View attachment 630306
This is a high-speed indoor Vekoma roller coaster ride not exactly suitable for young children. This ride is themed around the Original 12 Smashers joining forces to fight Master and Crazy Hand.
Upon heading out of the station, you are greeted with Mario and Luigi on the lift hill, and after heading down, you also see animatronics of Link, DK, Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, Ness, Samus, and all of the other Nintendo characters that were playable in the original game on N64. When the Hands appear, the coaster drops again, and then riders come to a scene where the Smash Ball appears, and all of the characters are now in their Final Smash form, the coaster launches, there are some inversions, and Master Hand and Crazy Hand are defeated. Riders are back in the station and exit back to Super Nintendo World.

Conclusion:
So that was my surprise presentation, I hope you guys like it. I only chose to include the Original 12 fighters because I didn’t want to oversaturate the ride with characters, and some of the characters are third party. (Unfortunately this means that many fan favorites are left out).
None of these images are mine!

What you did well: It's organized from beginning to end. I think we've developed a good formula over the years when designing attractions - go from beginning to end. Start with the Backstory --> Queue --> Ride Vehicles --> Attraction --> Conclusion

What to improve: A map or a drawing would help bring some originality to the project - to me it helps put your custom stamp on it as anyone can make an Nintendo attraction - but only you could make that drawing.

spacemt354

Chili's
Looking forward to when we can call you ThemeParkPope.
And then Bible World finally gets built!

That's Father Reliable to you! But seriously, thanks! And thanks for all of the reviews.

I'm going to keep my username, but starting in July, I could technically be called ThemeParkPastor.
That's amazing - and happy Palm Sunday!

TwilightZone

Une1QN.gif
Gifs you can hear

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I love the part where Disneyfan32 acted like Gollum.

Disneyfan32 - I'm sorry I'll never cheat again. Please let me go to the finals. Pretty please...
Tegan - I'm sorry it's my final decision.
Disneyfan32 - I WILL KILL YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE ON WDWMAGIC.

Disneyfan32 - I'm sorry I didn't mean what I said... Finals???
Tegan - No
Disneyfan32 - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Ha ha ha very funny guys. Not cool. Even this is going to be pain in my butt at all. Not funny.:mad:

spacemt354

Chili's
I love the part where Disneyfan32 acted like Gollum.

Disneyfan32 - I'm sorry I'll never cheat again. Please let me go to the finals. Pretty please...
Tegan - I'm sorry it's my final decision.
Disneyfan32 - I WILL KILL YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE ON WDWMAGIC.

Disneyfan32 - I'm sorry I didn't mean what I said... Finals???
Tegan - No
Disneyfan32 - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I love the part where you didn't participate the entire season.

What even is this?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
OKAY!!!

I have read all six projects!!

Right away I just want to say how exciting it was to get six very different projects, each in a different location. Your reviews from me will be posted later today. But I want to give myself an opportunity to read them each a second time, and really give each finalist the proper time and energy they deserve!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
In the mean time, I’d also like to give a special thanks to @spacemt354 for all of his contributions to the game both as a player and as a bit of a mentor in a way. Space really put in so much effort behind the scenes to assist us, from organizing a potential cast list, to offering words of advice along the way. That is on top of his leadership during the actual game, helping to guide his team along when they needed it most. Space personally invited me back to the forums to participate in SA7. So needless to say, there would be no OLS3 without him!

Thank you very much, Space!! You’re the forum MVP in my book!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
AA1C4CB5-2140-4E4A-88F7-AE026271C31B.jpeg

REVIEWS

@Imagineer Brandon Star Trek Engage

For starters, I appreciate that you gave this a specific timeframe and rationale behind the attraction being built. Star Trek is probably the most popular media franchise that is lacking a major theme park presence. Good choice there.

I am not at all familiar with Universal Hollywood, but I take it ET was actually replaced by The Mummy in 2002?

Your presentation is clean, well organized, and easy to read. I got a kick out of the “Q”ueue pun.

And speaking of your queue; this all sounds really awesome! The descriptions are short and sweet, but I definitely get the vibe. And I’m sure diehard fans of the series would be thrilled just by all the pre-show details alone. I appreciate the added touch of elaborately costumed cast members.

I didn’t understand what kind of ride system this was while I was reading through this. So I’m glad you clarified at the end with the ride statistics. That said, is most of the action accomplished via screens? A Borg Cube made with practical effects would be incredible.

The ride’s story is creative enough but also easy to follow. You struck the sweet spot in that regard. And I really appreciated the use of visual elements to help tell your story. I am not a huge Trek fan (not for any reason, it was just one of those things that passed me by. I have enjoyed what I have seen though!) So it was nice to have certain things explained as I was reading. Despite not being overly familiar with the characters or these places, I never felt lost. In fact, I felt like I totally “got it.”

I would have appreciated a visual of the ride track itself and scene placement. But I realize it can also be difficult to do that with a coaster based attraction.

Overall nice job!! Thank you for your submission!

@Brer Panther - The Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Ride

Do cast members have to say the entire name every time? Please tell me they do. That’s hilarious.

This hooked me right away and was incredibly enjoyable to read! I absolutely love family-friendly dark rides and this one was an absolute joy!

Either you have a passion for this IP or you just really understand it well, because that shines though in every aspect. And having this built at Great Adventure would certainly bolster that park’s visibility and wide appeal. Great job in that aspect.

The ride itself is just a blast! And I could totally visualize this in my head the entire time I was reading. You take us on a madcap journey through various iconic Looney Tunes landscapes and locales without anything ever feeling out of place. The characters’ personalities are all captured brilliantly, the gags are genuinely funny, and the entire attraction just oozes charm and nostalgia! I was definitely smiling while reading through it.

And I’m thankful that you included the visuals of the characters. It’s always important to assume your audience doesn’t know. Even though these are some of the most beloved characters of all time, including visual references really helps create the mental image of what’s happening.

Oh and the use of elevators! That was cool and unexpected. And you used them at the perfect opportunities to help tie it all together.

And you ended the ride in the absolute best way possible.

Just. Outstanding job here! I loved it. Thank you for your submission!

@TheOriginalTiki - Cinemassacre’s Monster Madness

Right away I was both hooked and skeptical. “How is this gonna work? I can’t wait to find out!”

Epic Universe was a bold choice for location, considering it hasn’t been built yet. But it’s also the ideal location for something this elaborately bonkers. That park doesn’t have an identity yet, so something as off the wall as an AVGN attraction would go a long way toward defining what the park could be.

I appreciate your personal backstory here. And I think this is something many of us can relate to on different levels; AVGN was truly one of the first true stars of this new YouTube thing. The fact that he’s still going strong today is a testament to James’s talent and the character’s enduring popularity.

Let’s talk about the queue. Because OMG!

At surface level there is just no reason for this sequence of locales to work. But they do. In this world, it just makes perfect sense to go from a library, to a closet, to a video store, to a game room. I would be flipping out about walking through a Blockbuster. That place was definitely a staple of my childhood, all the way through adolescence and early adulthood.

But then topping it all off by venturing into The Nerd’s basement?! Fantastic! Everyone would love that! I really appreciate the little detail of including the tripod taped to the ceiling. Lots of deep cuts and tiny details throughout here, and I appreciated each and every single one.

A water coaster. You made it a water coaster. You crazy person. I mean, as if this couldn’t be more zany, let’s go with the most unexpected ride system imaginable. Just. Brilliant.

Nice touch of distinguishing between AVGN the character in the attraction, and James Rolfe the person acting as our narrator. Rolfe offering reverent narration over the ridiculous scenes playing out is excellent juxtaposition. I want this to be real.

I am super thankful for your sketches of the scenes. They’re nothing elaborate but it’s enough to help place everything in my mind as I read through this. So thank you.

The tactics you employed with the jump scares are absolutely brilliant! Chucky dolls jumping out randomly on each ride making it unpredictable, the tense build up to a jump scare that never happens, that is just awesome!

The Board James interlude was totally unexpected yet totally makes perfect sense. This whole thing feels like one big Nerd episode. And the fact that this scene serves a practical purpose is icing on the cake.

Overall this was just such a riot! I had a great time reading it and I’m now definitely in the mood to watch some AVGN. Thank you for your submission!

@Miru - Bionicle: Chronicle of Light

So.

Where has this been?!

Next game I hope to see you take on larger roles more often! You’re clearly capable of creating amazing work!

First of all. I had no idea that there was so much lore in Bionicle! This is another media franchise that sort of passed me by, so thank you for explaining everything in great detail.

That said, because this entire universe is so foreign to me, it was occasionally difficult to keep up with what was happening because I couldn’t really visualize it. And like, everything has a unique name in this franchise. And that’s totally fine, lots of franchises do that, but it would have been incredibly helpful to have a lot more visuals.

However. Your passion for this franchise certainly came through!

The choice of Legoland certainly makes logical sense here. While an attraction of this magnitude could have likely been built anywhere, using this to boost Legoland’s stock and help broaden their appeal was a great move!

I wasn’t sure how much of the attraction was screen based or what used practical effects. This could be a pretty expensive investment for the park.

Overall this was really, really good. I just wish so badly I could properly “see it” in my mind. Next time be sure to include more visual aids to help build the world for members of your audience who aren’t familiar with the source material.

But great job! Thank you for your submission!

@ThemeParkPriest - As the World Moves

Kudos for being the only finalist who created an entire site for their attraction!

For this one, we travel to EPCOT’s World Discovery, a favorite location of mine. And the result is a much needed overhaul of the transportation pavilion.

Your mission statement got me excited right away! I do love all the different methods of transportation at Walt Disney World!

I absolutely adore the graphics on the site. They truly fit the theme and set the tone for what sort of attraction we should expect here. Your other visuals were a pure joy as well!

I love that you broadened the theme of the pavilion to really embrace all forms of transportation. While World of Motion did this in its story, the pavilion was always automotive-focused first. Here, everything is at the forefront, and it’s a really cool and very original way of taking on this pavilion.

Maintaining the slot car ride system is probably the right choice here. Test Track has become a favorite of many guests simply for the ride system itself, so no need to change that. But what you did clearly change is the architecture of the building! This gargantuan tower structure would be quite the eye catcher!

Let’s talk about the ride experience itself. Because it’s pure fun! You really meshed “dark ride” and “thrill ride” here in a new and interesting way. I absolutely love the little details of the track having bumps to simulate riding horseback, and the gentile swaying of being on board a cruise ship. Is this all happening in super speed tunnels?? That’s the mental image I’m getting.

I love that you included an entire section dedicated to Test Track. Complete with various tests from the original ride, and the iconic near miss with the truck, this would be a fitting inclusion for sure!

That near vertical “rocket launch” section is just WHOA! It fits in nicely with the pavilion being adjacent to Mission: Space!

The ending is so unexpected! Slowly transitioning the vehicles to gentler speeds recounting earlier scenes is something I would have never thought of. I’m not sure how successful it would be, but it’s really cool that you even tried it!

Obviously I love that you did something involving EPCOT. And this was an interesting, unique, and fun take on the transportation pavilion. Great job! Thank you for your submission!

@Solaris Knight - Power Rangers Mystic Force

It’s so cool that this franchise as a whole has maintained a level of popularity for this long.

Thank you for providing key details about this specific generation of Power Rangers, and the franchise in general. Mystic Force was after my time, so it’s nice to get sort of a crash course on it here.

Your choice of location was truly eyebrow raising! I would have never expected this to end up in Fantasyland, but somehow it works! You do a great job offering a rationale behind this location and what elements the Rangers share with Fantasyland as a whole, and honestly, I can’t disagree!

While I’m not sure that this franchise could truly compete with Harry Potter in terms of popularity, a well executed ride or land is a well executed ride or land. And if it’s amazing, the people will come to see it.

Walking into that dragon’s head to begin an experience would be truly amazing!

Guests being tested to try and unlock their own magic powers? Cool! I’m on board with this!

And this is the part that really sent everything over the top for me; your ride system. A motion simulator mixed with Circle Vision! That is truly an epic combination and totally outside the box! I absolutely love Circle Vision, and it’s nice to see it put to further use here, albeit in a much more thrilling experience.

In fact the ride system itself is so unique and cool that I’d be willing to bet that alone would make this a top tier attraction with huge lines, similar to Avatar Flight of Passage. Avatar is not a franchise with a massive endearing fandom, but Pandora is truly incredible and that ride is an experience unlike anything else. I see something very similar here.

And going back to the location, this would really help spread the guests out in Magic Kingdom. The park is already dotted with E-tickets and extremely popular attractions. But it could always use another!

We’re in a Circle Vision theater simulator battling a giant monster from inside a Megazord. This is just cool! I love the way the battles turn up a notch in intensity in every scene, leading to the final epic one. Very cool!

Outstanding work! Thank you for your submission!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom