ONE LITTLE SPARK 3: THE SPARK SQUAD - HYPE/DISCUSSION/NONSENSE THREAD!!!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
@Pi on my Cake @Tegan pilots a chicken any chance we can start at midnight Eastern tomorrow night?
Futurama Ambivalence GIF

spacemt354

Chili's
Just finished Eternals on Disney+

Oof...it was a struggle to get through that. The movie is aptly named as the 2 hour 30 minute runtime felt like an eternity.

The movie looks gorgeous at times and does tackle some big philosophical questions about life and death. Just a shame those great elements were in 2-5 minute snippets separated by lengthy scenes of boring, monotone dialogue or generic CGI fights.

Introducing 11 brand new heroes in the film (10 Eternals + Whitman) added to the bloated runtime without giving the characters enough time to grow together. It also felt oddly disconnected from the MCU. Huge things happen in this film that haven't been mentioned in any of the other Phase 4 films that take place post-Endgame.

It's sadly in the lower tier Marvel films, but now I can finally make the updated tier list!

1642063930125.png

spacemt354

Chili's
Looking at it Phase 4 to me at least has been all over the place. WandaVision's final episodes were kind of a disappointment at the time however on binge re-watch the show holds up much better. Conversely, Loki was worse on re-watch, not terrible by any means, but WandaVision swapped it out as my favorite Marvel D+ show of the year on re-watch.

Hawkeye was a disappointment to say the least, as a Netflix Daredevil fan I knew they would Disney-fy the character, but it was borderline ridiculous what they had him doing. I do find Kate Bishop to be a very likeable character though so that is the one positive out of the show.

Then out of that we also had Shang-Chi that was a surprising favorite of mine, and then lastly No Way Home, it really couldn't have been more perfect.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster

Oof...it was a struggle to get through that. The movie is aptly named as the 2 hour 30 minute runtime felt like an eternity.

The movie looks gorgeous at times and does tackle some big philosophical questions about life and death. Just a shame those great elements were in 2-5 minute snippets separated by lengthy scenes of boring, monotone dialogue or generic CGI fights.

Introducing 11 brand new heroes in the film (10 Eternals + Whitman) added to the bloated runtime without giving the characters enough time to grow together. It also felt oddly disconnected from the MCU. Huge things happen in this film that haven't been mentioned in any of the other Phase 4 films that take place post-Endgame.

It's sadly in the lower tier Marvel films, but now I can finally make the updated tier list!

View attachment 613691
Yeah. Eternals needed to be a Disney Plus series. Endgame is three hours and never feels like it. Eternals is two and a half hours and feels longer.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looking at it Phase 4 to me at least has been all over the place. WandaVision's final episodes were kind of a disappointment at the time however on binge re-watch the show holds up much better. Conversely, Loki was worse on re-watch, not terrible by any means, but WandaVision swapped it out as my favorite Marvel D+ show of the year on re-watch.

Hawkeye was a disappointment to say the least, as a Netflix Daredevil fan I knew they would Disney-fy the character, but it was borderline ridiculous what they had him doing. I do find Kate Bishop to be a very likeable character though so that is the one positive out of the show.

Then out of that we also had Shang-Chi that was a surprising favorite of mine, and then lastly No Way Home, it really couldn't have been more perfect.
I have rewatched episodes 5 and 6 of Hawkeye over and over and over again purely for the dynamic between Yelena Belova and Kate Bishop. Yelena is pure serotonin.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

View attachment 613691
Eternals has a lot of parts in it that I REALLY loved and I'm excited to see the characters in it come back! But I'm with you that the whole package just doesn't come together well.

I actually really loved Hawkeye and it might have even dethroned WandaVision as my favorite Disney+ series. I enjoyed how, while it had some dark moments, it was mostly just a fun Christmas adventure and was a goofy good time. That being said, I agree that the way the handled the Big Guy wasn't great. They definitely did him dirty. Hoping for better when he inevitably comes back in Echo or the next Spider-man or whatever

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Agree on both counts. Loki was super great at some points, but very inconsistent. WandaVision was consistently really good.
I actually really liked Hawkeye up until the last episode, which just felt very anticlimactic to me. And yeah, they definitely didn't do Kingpin justice.
I honestly didn't like Shang-Chi as much as I thought I would. The music was great, but the characters weren't super memorable and the storyline was a bit generic. I do hope he can become a bigger character in future films, though. And of course, NWH was 11/10.

PerGron

My personal MCU Phase 4 rankings thus far;

1. No Way Home
2. WandaVision
3. Black Widow
4. Hawkeye
5. Falcon and Winter Soldier
6. Shang Chi
7. Loki
8. Eternals
9. What If
I’ll bite with the worst takes imaginable

1. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
2. Shang-Chi
3. Spider-Man: No Way Home
4. Hawkeye
5. What If…?
6. Black Widow
7. Eternals
8. Loki
9. WandaVision

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
On a personal note, one thing I loved about Eternals was how they handled Phastos’s orientation. They didn’t make a big deal out of it in the film, it just was. Which is exactly how Stan handled racial inequalities in the 1960s. I suppose by drawing attention to that fact, I’m sort of nullifying everything I praised about it (having it not be a big deal). But, I’m just thankful for the way it was handled and I hope that’s the template for how other marginalized people are portrayed in the future.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I’ll bite with the worst takes imaginable

1. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
2. Shang-Chi
3. Spider-Man: No Way Home
4. Hawkeye
5. What If…?
6. Black Widow
7. Eternals
8. Loki
9. WandaVision
1. Spider
2. Shang Chi
3. Hawkeye
4. WandaVision
5. Loki
6. Black Widow
7. What If
8. Falcon
9. Eternals

It's tough to rank these though because a lot of these were mixed bags. With Falcon, Loki, Eternals,and What If having some elements or episodes that were easily 10 out of 10 but then other parts that were low points of the MCU

Do I judge What If for the amazing Black Panther Starlord episode? Or for the super boring Captain Carter episode?

Do I judge Falcon based on the incredible, touching, and timely Isaiah Bradley storyline? Or for the half baked, poorly handled Flag Smashers?

What about Eternals? Does the incredible cinematography outweigh the boring, pretentious, and kinda dumb plot?

This just has not been an easy crop of MCU stuff to judge or rank.

spacemt354

Chili's
On a personal note, one thing I loved about Eternals was how they handled Phastos’s orientation. They didn’t make a big deal out of it in the film, it just was. Which is exactly how Stan handled racial inequalities in the 1960s. I suppose by drawing attention to that fact, I’m sort of nullifying everything I praised about it (having it not be a big deal). But, I’m just thankful for the way it was handled and I hope that’s the template for how other marginalized people are portrayed in the future.
It is a shame as Phastos was one of my favorite characters not even because of his great representation but because his character was one of the most human elements of the film. The rest of the cosmic questions felt very detached from the MCU which is predicated on relationships and making these superheroes relatable.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Pastor was great! And like you said he was a great example of representation feeling natural and not like some corporate suit checking of a list of demographics they want to appeal to.

For all the problems in general that I might have with Eternals, I adores how across the board it felt so natural and like it was the movie it wanted to be. It was a bit like Gaurdians that way where nothing in the movie felt like a corporate mandate or like they had to get the script approved by a committee. It isn't easy for anything in a franchise as huge as the MCU to get a movie to feel like a singular vision and Eternals did that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom