• Other

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Donald Duck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brb1006

spiritually reminds me of the axed princess academy short

Man the concept art for that show looked amazing!

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Here's a few more details from Variety that I don't believe the other articles had.

"A passion project, started on the fly in anticipation of the Mouse House’s centenary this year, the nine-minute short brings more than four hundred characters back to life, throwing hand-drawn, CG and live action characters into a dizzy mix as they collectively buzz around the Roy E. Disney animation building on the Disney studio lot, causing gentle comic mayhem and leading towards a sentimental close set to the studio’s most emblematic song."

"Soon enough, the walls very much do, as Mickey and Minnie spring loose from hanged photos, rousing Tiana from “The Princess and the Frog,” Peter Pan and Wendy too, Moana, Maui, and Merlin, alongside Elsa and Goofy and Winnie the Pooh. Oh and about four hundred more – with “Zootopia” fan favorite Flash Slothmore drawing the screening’s two biggest laughs."

You think hybrid film characters will appear in this? Any hope of a Song of the South reference?

TsWade2

Original Poster
Since we found out about what the surprise short is going to be, I thought I renamed the title of this thread into Once Upon A Studio. And the polls will be closed tomorrow.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Here's an interview by the directors of Once Upon A Studio and some hints of which characters are going to be included: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/art...raham-geek-out-over-disney-animation-history/
Seems like we're gonna be getting some deep cuts in this. Here's hoping the Br'ers will appear, considering characters from Mary Poppins will appear as well as this quotation:
Well, we wanted everybody, but that's just not possible. We do have over 500 characters. And every main character from every film is represented, and then a bunch of the shorts.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Seems like we're gonna be getting some deep cuts in this. Here's hoping the Br'ers will appear, considering characters from Mary Poppins will appear as well as this quotation:
I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm afraid Disney doesn't want anything to do with Song of the South. I mean, I don't blame you, I want them to be included too, but, because of the loss of Splash Mountain, I don't think we'll see more of the Br'er characters anytime soon. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Original Poster
Sorry to bump into this again, but remember I said that I’m worried that the Live Action Remakes might replace the animated version of the classics? Well, I think this short will be my antidote and will help me realize that they’ll never be replaced.😉

Phroobar

I wonder if Disney will eventually release Song of the South by 2039. That is when it goes into public domain if they don't release it somehow. Would Disney really allow that animation to fall into public domain? They will probably forget all about it.

Twilight_Roxas

Disney has a advantage to this, and don’t need the voice actors to finish it since Disney could just use recycled audio for the characters.

Ghost93

I wonder if Disney will eventually release Song of the South by 2039. That is when it goes into public domain if they don't release it somehow. Would Disney really allow that animation to fall into public domain? They will probably forget all about it.
At this point, I don't think the company will release it. They will just let it slide into public domain.

I think Disney could have gotten away with a SOTS release in the early to mid-2000s, when there was still a sizable audience clamoring for the film's release and social wasn't as influential in starting boycott campaigns. There would have been controversy, but not enough to destroy the company.

Today, I think the controversy would outweigh any potential benefit for the company. Home media isn't that profitable and it would just drag Disney into another culture war.

Phroobar

At this point, I don't think the company will release it. They will just let it slide into public domain.

I think Disney could have gotten away with a SOTS release in the early to mid-2000s, when there was still a sizable audience clamoring for the film's release and social wasn't as influential in starting boycott campaigns. There would have been controversy, but not enough to destroy the company.

Today, I think the controversy would outweigh any potential benefit for the company. Home media isn't that profitable and it would just drag Disney into another culture war.
So it is pretty likely Disney will slide it into the PD and another company could release SOTS.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I believe there were internal discussions on how to handle a DVD release of the film back then. I'm not too sure though, as one of Leonard Maltin's ideas for a Walt Disney Treasures set was a dual release of Song of the South and So Dear to my Heart, which was promptly rejected. Would've been a helluva lot better than the Annette DVD.

This is probably the best way for them to approach it, something about the company profitting off somthing like this just doesn't sit right with me. It's the same reason why I felt apprehensive about Warner releasing the Censored Eleven cartoons.

Twilight_Roxas

Anyway with the strike Disney wouldn’t need the voice actors since they could use audio from the Wall Disney archives to finish the voices of the characters.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Anyway with the strike Disney wouldn’t need the voice actors since they could use audio from the Wall Disney archives to finish the voices of the characters.
Um, it's already been done. They premiere it at the Annecy Festival last month.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom