Once Upon a Studio short film - missing characters

Touchdown

Unless there's a specific D23 Event the closest thing is the Adventures by Disney package that includes not only The Walt Disney Studios but The Jim Henson studios as well..
And imagineering, and 2 days of behind the scenes tours at DLR. I highly suggest it to any Disney fan, if you can afford it.

Walt Disney1955

Unless there's a specific D23 Event the closest thing is the Adventures by Disney package that includes not only The Walt Disney Studios but The Jim Henson studios as well..

So $4,000 if you want to do something like that. Dang. I always wish that Disney had some sort of behind the scenes tour that you could do similar to Paramount, Warner Bros. or the Universal tour.

Touchdown

So $4,000 if you want to do something like that. Dang. I always wish that Disney had some sort of behind the scenes tour that you could do similar to Paramount, Warner Bros. or the Universal tour.
In fairness it includes 5 night hotel stay, 1-2 meals a day, 3 day park hopper tickets, transportation and two tour guides for 5 days. It’s not as expensive as it looks (it’s still expensive but not outrageously so.)

Cmdr_Crimson

no one has mentioned Coco - did I miss it?
No, because no Pixar characters were in it..It only focuses on the animation done by Walt Disney Animation Studios..

If you see this..It's all About the WDAS.
92e3c3409b7ac3362de44244a271320af9396d1dr1-435-250_00.gif

If you saw this before the short..Then it's all About the OTHER studio.
ZWQ1.gif

Miru

The most notable absences IMO

* Julius the Cat, and any character predating him. It seems Disney might want to distance themselves from their very earliest stuff. At least he’s been mentioned at DCA. Alice herself was briefly seen animated a few times in the shorts so could have technically also been used, as could Jack and Susie. The Laugh-o-Grams predate the Disney studio per se, but were still Walt’s creations.
* More “Silly Symphonies” characters, notably Bucky Bug, Little Hiawatha, and (the) Toby Tortoise & Max (the) Hare. Those characters were quite popular for their time and got crossover appearances from the 30s-70s, sometimes even their own comics. It could have also been funny to have King Midas show up, and there are some other historically notable Symphonies that are missing.
* The Br’ers, obviously. Same goes for the So Dear To My Heart roster, but I think even if the Br’ers are taboo someone like Mr. Bluebird could have been included instead. Ditto for World War 2 stuff, though there may be even more reason to exclude those. For that matter, we have nothing from Victory Through Air Power, nor stuff like Servant’s Entrance or Hollywood Party that Disney did animation for prior to Snow White.
* Someone from the Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents TV series like the Martian Robot. Yes, WDAS did the animation for that series as well, doing animation for a bunch of segments that got occasional use in crossovers like DTV but is nowadays almost totally forgotten. Ludwig seems to be the only representative of this meta series.
* Professor Owl. He was everywhere in the 80s and even had recent merchandise.
* Jenny Foxworth. How do you miss one of the female leads of your films?
* King Triton. How could you miss him?
* Mufasa. Probably the biggest absence in the entire thing.
* Merida, yes she is a Pixar character but she technically has been a WDAS character in a somewhat prominent role, so she could be included on that principle (but she’d have to wear her clothes from that film too). To a lesser extent, Kermit, Groot, Buzz Lightyear, Rocket Raccoon, and some Stormtroopers can technically show up but their roles weren’t as big as Merida’s. Splodyhead also cameoed in BH6. Sadly, we’ve never had cameos in WDAS stuff of the likes of Jack Skellington…
* Representatives of their 1980s-1990s shorts that are generally lost to time. There’s also the 1970s educational stuff though I’m not sure how involved WDAS were.
* Fantasia 2006 component short characters. I wonder if the whole thing rubbed off badly on them.
* Roger Rabbit’s shorts were done by WDAS, so he technically could have shown up.
* The Backson from Winnie the Pooh 2011, basically the only unique character in that film. That film is not considered part of the canon in some countries, but the same goes for DINOSAUR.

In an interview in the D23 magazine, they stated that the artists felt that if non-villainous characters who died in their films were included, it “didn’t feel right” to see them there, which would explain the lack of Mufasa. Regardless, Kerchak and Ray the Firefly make appearances despite them too dying, albeit at the end of their films.

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

For WDW fans they should have included Buzzy, General Knowledge, and Figment since they have animation made by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

SpectreJordan

I think on purpose you see more of the newer characters than the really old or niche, and that comes down to audience. Your general consumer... and not nuts on a message board that loves disney (playful jab including myself), are going to know the newer characters from newer movies, rather than a character in a movie that most havent seen (due to age of demographic). Although there are a few niche characters, they wanted the characters that most people would recognize, here and abroad.
I also think it was easier for them to do. I imagine they still had the character models hanging around; so, it's easier to reuse those than have more hand animated characters.

Miru

They were still animated by the Animation studio side..
Not the Theme Park side of the company..
To be fair, Figment, Buzzy, Merida, Roger Rabbit, Kermit, and others were all technically animated by WDAS at one point or another and were technically viable even if not really expected. Lost Boy Robin Williams got in because his attraction was directly about WDAS, to boot.

Cmdr_Crimson

To be fair, Figment, Buzzy, Merida, Roger Rabbit, Kermit, and others were all technically animated by WDAS at one point or another and were technically viable even if not really expected. Lost Boy Robin Williams got in because his attraction was directly about WDAS, to boot.
Plus the Lost Boy Robin was made by the Florida division of the Animation studio side of the company..

I can accept Roger as Roller Coaster Rabbit was animated by Florida Division..The other 2 shorts weren't.

I Never saw anything animated with Kermit or Merida under WDAS..If you can find something to reflect this I would like to see it..

The educational Figment shorts were not animated by WDAS..as quoted here from the lost wiki
In the interests of being “cost effective” the Disney Company in the 1980s often outsourced animation for its educational films to smaller independent studios who could produce the work faster and cheaper than Disney Feature Animation..

Miru

Plus the Lost Boy Robin was made by the Florida division of the Animation studio side of the company..

I can accept Roger as Roller Coaster Rabbit was animated by Florida Division..The other 2 shorts weren't.

I Never saw anything animated with Kermit or Merida under WDAS..If you can find something to reflect this I would like to see it..

The educational Figment shorts were not animated by WDAS..as quoted here from the lost wiki
Merida and Kermit were in Ralph Breaks The Internet.

Loved the film…got a little emotional when Mickey talked to Walt and when they all were singing When You Wish Upon a Star. 😊 Anyone notice how some major characters like Woody and Buzz didn’t make the cut? I wonder if they didn’t make it due to scale with the other characters…being toys they’d be smaller than the Dalmatian puppies.
Woody and Buzz didn't make the cut because they are Pixar, this is pure Disney.

Miru

I mean, I get why they wouldn't include Song of the South characters (we're never seeing anything with those characters or their music ever again), but why wouldn't they include Danny from So Dear to My Heart? As far as I'm aware that movie doesn't have anything nearly as controversial as Song of the South, or even movies that made the cut like Aristocats, Peter Pan, Lady & the Tramp, etc.
The exclusion of So Dear to My Heart is collateral damage from removing SOTS; the two movies are lumped together internally quite often. (Victory through air power also fell victim, but it’s about as problematic as SOTS if not worse)

For example, Critter Country has references to the film in its theming alongside SOTS.

I now wonder if a similar project will be done for Mickey’s 100th in 2028 from WDAS? Assuming they even have the dignity/authority/integrity to do something interesting instead of copying Illumination to a T.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom