On the fence about where to stay - Long post / need help please

joejccva71

My trip is the first week in May (may 5 - 10), and I still cannot for the life of me figure out where I want to stay. I'd like to stay on-site (POR or POFQ) but I'm trying to save money to be able to do MORE things while at Disney. My budget is very tight and I have at the very most $3000 for the entire trip including food/souvenirs. I'm taking my 10 year old daughter for her birthday. She has never been before. I have been 3 times but the last time was 15 years ago.

Pressing on with my issue...

I have narrowed it down to these 3 resorts:

Also, the prices below are with airfare, hotel for 5 nights, 4-day park tickets (no park hopper), and $500 food allowance for 1 adult and 1 10 year old child.

1. POR or POFQ on Disney property -$2900
2. Hilton at Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area - $2500
3. Best Western at Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area - $2200

As you can see, quite a price difference for someone on a tight budget.

The pros and cons of both in my mind:

1. Transportation system - I've heard horror stories about the Disney transportation bus system. Long lines, hassles, etc. And the theme park transportation from the Hilton and the Best Western are very good from what I hear and run every 30 minutes and run late at night too.

2. Dining - I'm not planning on doing the Disney dining plan even if I stayed on-site for the simple reason of I don't believe it's worth it and we may not eat that much food. I'd rather just set aside $100 a day for food for the two of us and pay out of pocket. With that being said, there are alot more choices in restaurants at the off-site hotels IMO. I've checked Boatwright's menu and it looked somewhat mediocre to me. Hilton and Best Western's restaurants are kinda nice. I've checked them all out.

3. Proximity to DTD - Not a huge deal but if I stay at the Hilton, I literally walk across the street and I'm at their entrance which not only gives us more dining options but it also gives us something nice to do when we get home from the parks. I understand that from POR or POFQ, it's just a boat ride to DTD but nothing beats walking across the street.

4. Disney bubble - I've heard about this "disney bubble" and being immersed in the theme of Disney by staying on-site but for the extra money I'm not entirely certain it's worth it to me. It might be to my daughter although I think she will just love being there anyway regardless of where we stay.

5. Disney benefits - This is where one of my problems lies. All those benefits that staying on Disney gives you. The free transportation to and from the hotel, the luggage transport, when you buy something at the park you don't have to carry it around as they will just send it to your room, being able to pay for anything with your room key, etc. Things like this may not seem really that important when pricing and planning, but when you're onsite I know that it would be nice to have.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if I stayed off-site at either the Hilton or Best Western, not only would I be able to afford the "Park Hopper ticket option", but also we could probably stay an extra day giving us 6 nights in the hotel and 5 days at the parks.

Oh yea, and if you're wondering "why don't you just stay at a value resort and you can save money AND be on Disney property!"....well yes I thought about that, but I've heard and read on this very forum that the transportation system is not so good at those value resorts, not to mention the lines for the buses, etc. I've heard that sometimes you have to wait 2-3 buses before getting to the parks. I'd rather not deal with that.

Transportation is HUGE for me.

Decisions, decisions.... This drives me crazy.

If you guys don't mind, can you give me your thoughts and input on this? What do you think? What do you recommend?

Thank you guys!

joejccva71

Original Poster
See my later comments, but even so your total would be about 2300 for tickets, room, food, and airfare. Pop would be even less :)

And staying in the bubble is just awesome which is why I am trying to help you work it out :)

Thank you so much Ember! I really appreciate your advice and help. I'm going to price a stay at Pop century. Maybe I can stay 6 nights instead of 5 now.

Upvote 0

joejccva71

Original Poster
If you choose a value I bet your daughter would love all star movies or art of animation! Both of those resorts have disney characters everywhere! :)

Is there a big difference between AoA and PoP? I couldn't find AoA on the map. Where is it located?

Edit: Nevermind I found it lol, right next to PoP.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Airfare was just under $500 from Raleigh.

Yea I love all the advice here, I'm considering staying at Pop Century now. :)

POP was the resort we stayed for our first visit to the world. We spent 3 days roaming MK and character dining. Didn't do a whole lot at our resort but I can say that in the summer over the 4th of July which is packed, I don't remember a bus waiting issue. Now sometimes it was standing room only but we never had long waits.
We liked the food court at POP. We were in the 60's building right by the hippy dippy pool. It was a great trip.
I have never stayed at PORS but I have eaten at Boatwrights which was okay. The grounds look pretty over there. I would like to stay there in a Royal Room at some point for a short stay. I really loved CSR though and if I was going to stay moderate....I'd be inclined back to the cabana area at that resort.
I don't see where staying at a DtD resort is much of a cost savings but I would expect the room might be a bit nicer than a Value...actually I went and looked at the Hilton and it looked really nice..

Upvote 0

joejccva71

Original Poster
I have a few questions about dining if I stay at PoP.

1. Me and my kid eat probably a moderate amount. Sometimes we eat breakfast, sometimes we don't. Usually a light lunch, and a big dinner. Is it worth it getting the dining plan? Or should I just allocate $500 or so for food for the week? I'm going to stay 6 nights with 5 park days.

2. Whether I end up doing the dining plan or not, do I have to make a reservation for any of the resort or park restaurants months in advance? I know that BOG and Cinderella's Royal Table are a must reservation 180 days in advance, but what about the other places for lunch and dinner?

I guess what I mean is, can I just "wing it" with finding places to eat? Or am I going to run into trouble if I don't plan all our restaurant meals out as well?

Thanks again friends.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Quick question - if you stay off site do you plan on renting a car or will you rely on a hotel shuttle? If the latter, I actually think your transportation will be more difficult rather than less. Make me another vote for staying at Pop. It has a dedicated bus, and the wait really isn't bad - especially if you get on a early bus to make it to the Parks before opening and don't stay until Park closing to take the bus home.

I don't recall seeing what time of year your trip is. If free dining is offered, you will likely be unable to walk into any Park sit-down restaurant to eat without a reservation. Then again, if free dining is offered, you will be able to take advantage of that! As for counter-service, you can certainly wing that.

Upvote 0

joejccva71

Original Poster
Quick question - if you stay off site do you plan on renting a car or will you rely on a hotel shuttle? If the latter, I actually think your transportation will be more difficult rather than less. Make me another vote for staying at Pop. It has a dedicated bus, and the wait really isn't bad - especially if you get on a early bus to make it to the Parks before opening and don't stay until Park closing to take the bus home.

I don't recall seeing what time of year your trip is. If free dining is offered, you will likely be unable to walk into any Park sit-down restaurant to eat without a reservation. Then again, if free dining is offered, you will be able to take advantage of that! As for counter-service, you can certainly wing that.

Yea if I was going to stay off-site I was going to rely on the hotel shuttles but at the same time I checked into the Hilton as they're one of the better off-site resorts, and their shuttles are decent from what I've read. But I think I've decided to take the advice here and stay at POP.

My trip days will be from May 5th - 11th with 5 park days (with park hopper), but I think I may pass on the dining plan and just allocate for that separately. Haven't completely decided on the dining part yet. Thank you for your advice on that as well! :)

Upvote 0

bow0303

1. Me and my kid eat probably a moderate amount. Sometimes we eat breakfast, sometimes we don't. Usually a light lunch, and a big dinner. Is it worth it getting the dining plan? Or should I just allocate $500 or so for food for the week? I'm going to stay 6 nights with 5 park days.

2. Whether I end up doing the dining plan or not, do I have to make a reservation for any of the resort or park restaurants months in advance? I know that BOG and Cinderella's Royal Table are a must reservation 180 days in advance, but what about the other places for lunch and dinner?

I guess what I mean is, can I just "wing it" with finding places to eat? Or am I going to run into trouble if I don't plan all our restaurant meals out as well?

Thanks again friends.

A lot of the cost of food comes from Buffet and Character meals. If neither is big for you I would think that paying out of pocket would be fine. My family prefers the dining plan (part of the experience for us is the meals). We always choose the dining plan that allows for 1 counter service, 1 table service and 1 snack. You could use the snack credit for breakfast, a counter service for lunch and table credit for dinner. Dinners even for 2 depending on where you go can run you close to $100 with tip and you still haven't factored in breakfast, lunch or snacks. As far as just winging it, I think you'll be fine. Some of the more popular restaurants may be booked but you should be able to just walk up and get a table albeit with a small wait at most table service restaurants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hmac

Thanks again friends.
Personally I'd opt out of the dining plan unless you plan to take FULL advantage of it (or it comes free with package)...meaning you like desserts with lunch AND dinner and you plan on for sure sitting down for one meal per day, etc. There used to be a larger advantage to using the plan (gratuities included, etc), but not so much any more... As to the making reservations, we've found it increasingly difficult to wing it per se and actually be able to eat WHERE we wanted to and WHEN we wanted to. That being said, being tied down to meals the entire time does take spontaneity out of it and you can end up rushing to get somewhere. Perhaps you make reservations for something (or a couple places) that you and your daughter really have your heart set on and wing the rest? And as a sidenote on that, if you make one of those a birthday dinner - make sure you let them know when you make the reservation. They will be sure to make it special for her. :) (they do have small cakes you can order as well that aren't crazy priced and can be set up in advance...) Whatever you end up doing have fun - and Happy Birthday to her!! :)

Upvote 0

Ariel Savage

I agree with the posters who suggest going to Pop Century. It's a nice hotel and cheaper than your current choices. I did the bus transportation for 2 years and hated it. People can get really cranky while waiting and those buses get packed. It wasn't torture or anything. The bus system is very well organized and prompt, but it wasn't something I enjoyed doing. I now budget a cheap rental car into my trip.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

I would definitely pay out of pocket. I would book maybe 2 or 3 sit down restaurants that peak your interest. "Winging it" doesn't really work at Disney World... everything is about planning... planning your meals & your fastpasses. The 180 day has already come and gone for May so getting BOG for dinner is probably going to be hard. I would just visit for lunch.

• I would book CRT. If I was my 10 year self, nothing would be more special than dining in the castle.
  • I would also recommend booking at least one restaurant in Epcot because the food opinions there are awesome Via Napoli has great Italian food and amazing pizza! It is pretty good for people paying out of pocket
  • I would also say booking the fantasmic dinner package at HS might be nice.
  • Then quick service every other meal. Pop & AOA have great food courts.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

I think POP is a good choice, and honestly you could probably save even a little more if you stayed at one of the All Stars, I actually prefer them over POP as the resorts are smaller, and have found that the transportation is actually better from AllStar Sports than it is at POP. I would not recommend doing any of the sit down table service meals or character meals if you are on a strict budget for dining. It will be hard enough to do $100/day for the two of you, and you can easily spend more than half of that at the TS restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I think you have some great choices, but on a budget, I would probably skip them and just do QS meals and snacks.

Upvote 0

plaz10

I've stayed at Pop and All Stars (Sports and Music) before...as well as a few moderates and a 2 deluxes...bus transportation was the the same at all resorts - sometimes fantastic...low lines and always a bus to the park I was looking for...sometimes the lines were long and seemed like we waited forever for a bus. But I'd say more success stories than horror stories.

Upvote 0
We've stayed at Pop AOA and POR in the last few years and loved them all. We've had really good experiences taking the busses at all three. I would probably recommend Pop because you can't get discounted rooms at AOA unless your staying in a suite. Whereas Pop you can get a 20% room discount in May. As others have said no need for the dining plan unless you want to do lots of character dining.

Upvote 0

Hmac

One other thought...they introduced the new long length articulated busses at the resorts you're considering in November. Has anyone stayed at them since mid-November? I'd imagine that might help with wait times/congestion when it is busier...?

Upvote 0

R W B

My trip is the first week in May (may 5 - 10), and I still cannot for the life of me figure out where I want to stay. I'd like to stay on-site (POR or POFQ) but I'm trying to save money to be able to do MORE things while at Disney. My budget is very tight and I have at the very most $3000 for the entire trip including food/souvenirs. I'm taking my 10 year old daughter for her birthday. She has never been before. I have been 3 times but the last time was 15 years ago.

Pressing on with my issue...

I have narrowed it down to these 3 resorts:

Also, the prices below are with airfare, hotel for 5 nights, 4-day park tickets (no park hopper), and $500 food allowance for 1 adult and 1 10 year old child.

1. POR or POFQ on Disney property -$2900
2. Hilton at Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area - $2500
3. Best Western at Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area - $2200

As you can see, quite a price difference for someone on a tight budget.

The pros and cons of both in my mind:

1. Transportation system - I've heard horror stories about the Disney transportation bus system. Long lines, hassles, etc. And the theme park transportation from the Hilton and the Best Western are very good from what I hear and run every 30 minutes and run late at night too.

2. Dining - I'm not planning on doing the Disney dining plan even if I stayed on-site for the simple reason of I don't believe it's worth it and we may not eat that much food. I'd rather just set aside $100 a day for food for the two of us and pay out of pocket. With that being said, there are alot more choices in restaurants at the off-site hotels IMO. I've checked Boatwright's menu and it looked somewhat mediocre to me. Hilton and Best Western's restaurants are kinda nice. I've checked them all out.

3. Proximity to DTD - Not a huge deal but if I stay at the Hilton, I literally walk across the street and I'm at their entrance which not only gives us more dining options but it also gives us something nice to do when we get home from the parks. I understand that from POR or POFQ, it's just a boat ride to DTD but nothing beats walking across the street.

4. Disney bubble - I've heard about this "disney bubble" and being immersed in the theme of Disney by staying on-site but for the extra money I'm not entirely certain it's worth it to me. It might be to my daughter although I think she will just love being there anyway regardless of where we stay.

5. Disney benefits - This is where one of my problems lies. All those benefits that staying on Disney gives you. The free transportation to and from the hotel, the luggage transport, when you buy something at the park you don't have to carry it around as they will just send it to your room, being able to pay for anything with your room key, etc. Things like this may not seem really that important when pricing and planning, but when you're onsite I know that it would be nice to have.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if I stayed off-site at either the Hilton or Best Western, not only would I be able to afford the "Park Hopper ticket option", but also we could probably stay an extra day giving us 6 nights in the hotel and 5 days at the parks.

Oh yea, and if you're wondering "why don't you just stay at a value resort and you can save money AND be on Disney property!"....well yes I thought about that, but I've heard and read on this very forum that the transportation system is not so good at those value resorts, not to mention the lines for the buses, etc. I've heard that sometimes you have to wait 2-3 buses before getting to the parks. I'd rather not deal with that.

Transportation is HUGE for me.

Decisions, decisions.... This drives me crazy.

If you guys don't mind, can you give me your thoughts and input on this? What do you think? What do you recommend?

Thank you guys!
Haven't read any other replies but here's my take.

Your on a very hard budget with little to no wiggle room. The ONLY option I would do isn't on your list. You would find me at a value resort in a heart beat. Get that 5th day, the park hopper option, the free transportation, the extra magic hours and all the other extras you get by staying on property inside of the "magical bubble".

The first half of May is not bad crowd wise, I've been twice. Most kids are still in school, that's why I choose that time to go when we did lol.

I've stayed at all the values except for AoA and only real bus issue I had was when we went during the 4th of July week but every other time we might have had to wait for a second bus twice. It's really not that bad.

I'm sure others have mentioned this but just incase not, Pop Century has its own bus service where as the All Stars share a bus every now and then.

Trust me, stay at a Value on property, immerse yourself in that Disney bubble and have a great time with your daughter!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joejccva71

Original Poster
Haven't read any other replies but here's my take.

Your on a very hard budget with little to no wiggle room. The ONLY option I would do isn't on your list. You would find me at a value resort in a heart beat. Get that 5th day, the park hopper option, the free transportation, the extra magic hours and all the other extras you get by staying on property inside of the "magical bubble".

The first half of May is not bad crowd wise, I've been twice. Most kids are still in school, that's why I choose that time to go when we did lol.

I've stayed at all the values except for AoA and only real bus issue I had was when we went during the 4th of July week but every other time we might have had to wait for a second bus twice. It's really not that bad.

I'm sure others have mentioned this but just incase not, Pop Century has its own bus service where as the All Stars share a bus every now and then.

Trust me, stay at a Value on property, emerse yourself in that Disney bubble and have a great time with your daughter!

Thank you! And thanks to everyone else also for all the advice! :)

Upvote 0

rt06

Thanks again friends.

The DDP will be a lot for a 10 y.o. Offset character dining with a day of quick service meals and you'll be okay. You can even order from the kids' menu at the quick serves. Get one refillable resort mug and share. Share an appetizer and large pie at Via Napoli. You will not go hungry on $100/day at Disney.

Upvote 0

Annabelle5

I have stayed at both Pop Century and Riverside and in your case would definitely recommend Pop for a few reasons. #1 cost #2 theming- Pop is more child themed #3 bus service- Riverside has multiple bus stops on the resort and sometimes also stops at French Quarter to pick up guests. Our room was near the 1st bus stop at Riverside and it can be time consuming with all the additional stops. Pop has 1 bus stop and does not share with any other resort. The few times we had to wait for more than 1 bus was at park closing, at Magic Kingdom, and that could have been the case for ANY resort. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Aurora1

The hilton shuttles aren't as great as the Disney ones, that's for sure. We stayed there a few years back for a school trip and the shuttle came sporadically and with only 1 park per time slot, so we had to either wait a while to get to our location, or walk to downtown & then find a shuttle to a disney hotel then park. It was a nice hotel, but I'd say do a disney hotel for convenience if you're worried about transportation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom