On the fence about where to stay - Long post / need help please

joejccva71

My trip is the first week in May (may 5 - 10), and I still cannot for the life of me figure out where I want to stay. I'd like to stay on-site (POR or POFQ) but I'm trying to save money to be able to do MORE things while at Disney. My budget is very tight and I have at the very most $3000 for the entire trip including food/souvenirs. I'm taking my 10 year old daughter for her birthday. She has never been before. I have been 3 times but the last time was 15 years ago.

Pressing on with my issue...

I have narrowed it down to these 3 resorts:

Also, the prices below are with airfare, hotel for 5 nights, 4-day park tickets (no park hopper), and $500 food allowance for 1 adult and 1 10 year old child.

1. POR or POFQ on Disney property -$2900
2. Hilton at Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area - $2500
3. Best Western at Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area - $2200

As you can see, quite a price difference for someone on a tight budget.

The pros and cons of both in my mind:

1. Transportation system - I've heard horror stories about the Disney transportation bus system. Long lines, hassles, etc. And the theme park transportation from the Hilton and the Best Western are very good from what I hear and run every 30 minutes and run late at night too.

2. Dining - I'm not planning on doing the Disney dining plan even if I stayed on-site for the simple reason of I don't believe it's worth it and we may not eat that much food. I'd rather just set aside $100 a day for food for the two of us and pay out of pocket. With that being said, there are alot more choices in restaurants at the off-site hotels IMO. I've checked Boatwright's menu and it looked somewhat mediocre to me. Hilton and Best Western's restaurants are kinda nice. I've checked them all out.

3. Proximity to DTD - Not a huge deal but if I stay at the Hilton, I literally walk across the street and I'm at their entrance which not only gives us more dining options but it also gives us something nice to do when we get home from the parks. I understand that from POR or POFQ, it's just a boat ride to DTD but nothing beats walking across the street.

4. Disney bubble - I've heard about this "disney bubble" and being immersed in the theme of Disney by staying on-site but for the extra money I'm not entirely certain it's worth it to me. It might be to my daughter although I think she will just love being there anyway regardless of where we stay.

5. Disney benefits - This is where one of my problems lies. All those benefits that staying on Disney gives you. The free transportation to and from the hotel, the luggage transport, when you buy something at the park you don't have to carry it around as they will just send it to your room, being able to pay for anything with your room key, etc. Things like this may not seem really that important when pricing and planning, but when you're onsite I know that it would be nice to have.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if I stayed off-site at either the Hilton or Best Western, not only would I be able to afford the "Park Hopper ticket option", but also we could probably stay an extra day giving us 6 nights in the hotel and 5 days at the parks.

Oh yea, and if you're wondering "why don't you just stay at a value resort and you can save money AND be on Disney property!"....well yes I thought about that, but I've heard and read on this very forum that the transportation system is not so good at those value resorts, not to mention the lines for the buses, etc. I've heard that sometimes you have to wait 2-3 buses before getting to the parks. I'd rather not deal with that.

Transportation is HUGE for me.

Decisions, decisions.... This drives me crazy.

If you guys don't mind, can you give me your thoughts and input on this? What do you think? What do you recommend?

Thank you guys!

quirkle

I agree. In the bubble. Skip table service or pick 1 special one. Bring cereal with you and buy milk at the shop. They will give you bowls and spoons.

Tranportation is the same regardless if resort when you are talking about the bus. We went to chef Mickey and the contemporary bus was not any faster than ours

I will only stay in the bubble-it's just the way Ifeel best.

Upvote 0

ginadee

Ok...I have to jump on the Value Resort bandwagon. I just stayed at POP and they do not share a bus which I loved. I actually like waiting for the bus and riding. Its part of the experience. Ive only been in low seasons so never a long wait. I had the dining plan last trip only because it was free. I wouldn't buy it. I come out better without it. I also only do base pass. Not hopper. One full day in each park is good for me. Im usually pretty budget conscious as well so it all helps. Sounds like a great time for you and your daughter. Perfect age and it will be great memories.

Upvote 0

SuprDav

I recommend getting the quick service meal plan. WDW has many very good counter service locations. The up side is that you know pretty much the amount you're spending total before you leave home. Another plus of the quick service vs. the regular plan is that you don't have to stop what you're doing to make reservation times in the evenings. Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Add me to the Pop fan club. Last trip we stayed at Art of Animation and we loved it. We have stayed at all the values, two mods and two deluxe. Buses from the values including Pop and Art were very well run, we were there for two weeks in July/August.
We stopped doing the dining plan and just pay out of pocket for meals. I think for you and a 10 yr old you can do it on $100 if you need to. If you want sit down meals go for late breakfasts or lunches they will be a bit cheaper versus the cost of dinner. Most counter service meals are very filling. You can def. skip dessert and then have a snack later.

We are going in 140 days and I was able to book BoG for dinner today for our family of four. So if you really want to try dinner just keep checking. Although last summer we just did lunch here and we will be going back for lunch again as it was a big hit with our family. But for dinner for our family of four I figure we will spend about $35 per person here based on menus and what we like to eat. If you go look at the menus you can get an idea on what you should expect to spend.

Enjoy this trip and take time to take those special pictures. Have fun!

Upvote 0

hikernh30

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but The Hilton is the only 'Non Disney' hotel that DOES receive the Extra Magic Hours perk ;). I enjoy staying off site at condo units. WAAAAYYY more room and I go grocery shopping. We eat breakfast in our condo each day and I pack a lunch. That gives me extra money to for nice dinners at Disney. I have done the hotel shuttle service and renting a car... Renting is the way to go! Car rentals are pretty inexpensive and you can run on your own schedule! Everyone is different, but this was the most budget friendly for us. :) Also, check Undercover Tourist for your tickets. They are the cheapest around and great to work with! They are an Authorized Disney Ticket seller and they ship them for free! Plus, they are REAL tickets, not e-tickets or anything. Let me know if I can help at all! Good luck! Disney is amazing no matter what! ;)

Upvote 0

diznyboyz

Like Ember said, We love port Orleans. we have a trip at the end of may and are at pores for second year in a row. However, your daughter may like the atmosphere of All-Star Movies. DTD is closer to pors.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I put my deposit down for Pop Century tonight for May 5th - 11th. So excited!

Great choice IMO! We loved POP! I agree with the other posters to skip the dining plan unless you are going to do alot of character dining. The food court at POP has alot of choices for all 3 meals and you probably won't ever spend more than 20 bucks a meal there.

At MK I would eat lunch and/or dinner at least once at Liberty Tree Tavern, lunch at BOG at least once, and if y'all like hot dogs we love Casey's. We also like the waffle breakfast sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow.
At EPCOT you have so many great choices for a meal around the World Showcase. We love the fish n chips from Yorkshire County Fish Shop. For a great buffet, good food and some entertainment try dinner at Biergarten for a splurge. The chinese food is really good too as is the food at Morrocco. I am not overly fond of the mexican fare served at EPCOT, but probably because I eat such good Tex-Mex here in Texas weekly...
At HS we love to eat a burger and a shake Sci-Fi Diner. You get to watch tv while you eat. Love the atmosphere and the cars.
I haven't spent alot of time at AK, but everyone says the barbeque there is really good and cheap by Disney standards.
The best two breakfast buffets ( that would be a $ 50 splurge ) IMO is Cape May at the BC or Boma at AKL. The other really good breakfast buffet we had was at Fresh Meditterean over at the Dolphin. Also Fresh Med has great salads for lunch.
If you like coffee or soda then I would spend the $ 36 bucks on check in and buy the mugs which give you unlimited refills at the food court of your resort for your stay. The cups are great souvenirs too.
Oh you and your daughter are going to have a great time!

Upvote 0

MarFV

One more thing to consider: driving. You mentioned Raleigh. It is only a 9 hour trip. The. You would have your car to use to get to the parks should you not want to wait for the bus.

Upvote 0

C.M.O

I put my deposit down for Pop Century tonight for May 5th - 11th. So excited!
We always stay at Pop Century. Never have had any issues and last time I was there the bus wasn't shared with anyone so it went straight from the resort to the park, other resorts share a bus with other resorts.

Upvote 0
I've stayed at Pop, AoA, POFQ, and Saratoga Springs. Pop Century has the most efficient bus service by far. It's a fun resort and you and your child will not be disappointed. AoA has a better food court and fortunately, it is only a short walk across the bridge from Pop Century. If you leave a park and notice that the bus line for AoA looks shorter, then you have a choice which bus you would like to take. Since the dining plan now costs $ 59 per day (or $ 40 per day for the quick service dining plan), you should skip it and just pay out-of-pocket. The Disney Dining plan used to be a good value, but is now overpriced for what you receive. Have a wonderful trip! I'll be a Pop the same time as you.

Upvote 0

G8rchamps

I don't always stay on Disney property, but when I can afford it - I do.

Have stayed at value several times and the transportation is fine. Esp when goin to MK because you have to park and then boat or monorail in and out. If you leave after Whises do you want to wait for 3 busses or 3 monorails?

My only issue is the double beds at value vs queen at mods, but we are 4 of us not just 2.

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

SteveW

Here is we're you're going to be arriving when using DME. Have a great time!
image.jpg

Upvote 0

quirkle

Don't buy the mugs. If you like coffee the coffee machines are not monitored with the chips in the rapid refill cups. Only the soda is monitored

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom