On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

ParentsOf4

You can find scans of the 1971 Annual Report online. Total revenue in 1970 and 1971 didn’t even top $200 million. What makes that really crazy is when you consider that Walt Disney World Phase 1 cost about $400 million.
Disney spent $31M in theme park capital expenditures (capex) in 1969, $65M in 1970, $228M in 1971, and $141M in 1972.

We all owe Roy Disney for creating Walt Disney World.

Animaniac93-98

I was a child during Disney's lean years - most Disney productions were pretty bad after Mary Poppins in 1964. Just look at the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films#1960s

It took Michael Eisner years to revive Disney's studio productions.

Fun quote from Roger Ebert circa 1975, when he thought Disney might be on its upswing:

"Escape to Witch Mountain," as well as "The World's Greatest Athlete" and (I'm told, though I didn't see it) "The Strongest Man in the World" seem to indicate that the Disney studio has snapped out of its doldrums and returned to the business of making movies with life and spirit."

Animaniac93-98

Not all the post-Walt movies are bad. Many are more charming and palatable than the lackluster blockbusters Disney cranks out these days. In particular:

Candleshoe, The Rescuers, Escape to Witch Mountain, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Love Bug, Apple Dumpling Gang, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Child of Glass (TV movie)

Even the "swing and a miss" stuff like The Black Hole, Pete's Dragon, The Watcher in the Woods and Island at the Top of the World were at least interesting curiosities.

ParentsOf4

Fun quote from Roger Ebert circa 1975, when he thought Disney might be on its upswing:

"Escape to Witch Mountain," as well as "The World's Greatest Athlete" and (I'm told, though I didn't see it) "The Strongest Man in the World" seem to indicate that the Disney studio has snapped out of its doldrums and returned to the business of making movies with life and spirit."

Not all the post-Walt movies are bad. Many are more charming and palatable than the lackluster blockbusters Disney cranks out these days. In particular:

Candleshoe, The Rescuers, Escape to Witch Mountain, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Love Bug, Apple Dumpling Gang, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Child of Glass (TV movie)

Even the "swing and a miss" stuff like The Black Hole, Pete's Dragon, The Watcher in the Woods and Island at the Top of the World were at least interesting curiosities.
I was a kid when most of these movies were released and (probably) was Disney's target audience.

At the time, me and my friends all thought these movies sucked!

It was a different age, no longer the 1950s when some of these might have succeeded.

Even though we were in grade school, we were aware of what was going on and had lived through the 60s protests, the Vietnam War, an oil crisis, Watergate, Disco, and more.

Kids weren't kids anymore, at least not the way they had been in the 1950s. Corporate Disney management was stuck in the 1950s.

As I remember it, Star Wars (1977) was the first great movie that kids could enjoy.

_caleb

I meant compared to what it is today. And not even necessarily in 1971; even since 1998, when DAK opened.
My main point, though, was that being a fan of the parks should not necessitate simping for the empire
I agree that we can be fans of the park and not necessarily fans of everything the Company does. My statement about a revisionist narrative had to do with the idea that Disney was just a small, scrappy animation studio in 1971 when they had (with varying degrees of success) branched out into live-action features, television (Mickey Mouse Club, Disneyland television show, serials like Davy Crockett, Zorro, etc.), film distribution, and were partnering with major corporations on things like attractions for the World’s Fair.

_caleb

Putting things into perspective:

Disney released 5 movies to theaters in 1971 [the previous year, only 3]. They had one TV show (The Wonderful World of Disney), two theme parks and the other components of WDW at the time. The Disneyland Hotel was not owned by them. Merchandising, educational films/licenses and reissues were their only other sources of revenue.

It wasn't until the 80s that Disney had its own cable channel, other studio brands, international parks, retail stores, home video etc.
Not sure zooming in on 1971 helps put things into perspective. Maybe zoom out to see all that Disney had gotten into during the 1950s and 60s: diversification in film and television (live-action, distributing their own films, comics, etc.) educational initiatives/materials, several major corporate (and governmental) partnerships, technology developments (with patents and licensing), in addition to the merchandise, etc.

the.dreamfinder

Indeed, that’s a very fun philosophical conundrum, but I guess I’m more a fan of preventing the paving of the way that allowed Iger to build up a cartoonishly evilly large multimedia empire than I am interested in guillotining him personally for having done it
Michael Eisner: “did you forget me?”

lazyboy97o

Not sure zooming in on 1971 helps put things into perspective. Maybe zoom out to see all that Disney had gotten into during the 1950s and 60s: diversification in film and television (live-action, distributing their own films, comics, etc.) educational initiatives/materials, several major corporate (and governmental) partnerships, technology developments (with patents and licensing), in addition to the merchandise, etc.
While Disney had diversified they still paled in comparison to the other studios. They had grown but were still a relatively small, family-controlled company.

ImperfectPixie

Candleshoe, Something Wicked this Way Comes, Pete's Dragon, and The Watcher in the Woods were (and still are) favorites of mine.

legwand77

Interestingly, I have Disney's annual report for 1972 (which covers from October 1971 to September 1972, the first 12 months of WDW operations).

Total film rental revenue from all sources (i.e. live action and animation) was $78.3M, about $485M in inflation-adjusted dollars.

By comparison, theme park revenue from WDW and Disneyland was $223.4M, or 67.8% of total company revenue.

An often forgotten fact of corporate Disney history is that from 1972 to 1990, The Walt Disney Company derived more than half of its annual revenue from its theme parks.

For nearly 2 decades, Disney primarily was a theme park company.

View attachment 495585
The split is not not dramatically different today, it is less but roughly a healthy (not this year) 35-40% of total revenue from the parks .

Also WDW phase 1 cost 2.5 Billion in today's dollars.

Disney Studios was still considered a major film studio in the 70’s but had the smallest market share of the 70’s at around 6%. Biggest thing that hurt them was being tied to G rated movies and not paying points the producers, directors as the other studios began doing. Losing out on Raiders, ET. etc. That caused them to lose a lot of animators bringing the Studios further down.

Last edited:

legwand77

But also note, when Magic Kingdom opened there were no Mountains, only rides were

Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Small World, Snow White, Mr. Toads, Carousel, Dumbo, Tea Party, Skyway and Grand Prix Speedway. The Contemporary, Poly and Fort Wilderness also opened.

They opened the a Riverboat, Peter Pan and 20,000 Leagues three months later

Tom P.

LOL Europeans? To be more specific the US is wrong, the rest of the Americas (Central, South) and Europe are Right LOL 🤣🤣
I have always wondered about using the term "Americans" to denote people in the United States, when there are numerous other countries in the Americas. But it is commonly accepted usage. And what is the alternative? Saying "people in the United States" is a bit more cumbersome. United Statesians?

Miss Bella

I have always wondered about using the term "Americans" to denote people in the United States, when there are numerous other countries in the Americas. But it is commonly accepted usage. And what is the alternative? Saying "people in the United States" is a bit more cumbersome. United Statesians?
It's not the United States. It's "The States". You are from "The states". People in Europe seem to know all the states so you can actually tell them what state you are from and they will know where it is. Most of us United Statesians are really bad at geography or we just don't care about the rest of the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom