On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

_caleb

I've read all your back-and-forth in the COVID thread, and haven't found it to be healthy at all. Can we please keep it in any of those existing threads that have already been, um, infected?
I guess that's a "no," then?
Overall the level of civility and respect for other people has declined dramatically over the years. The attitude -- I paid my money it's all about me.
This thread is evidence of that.
Previously, several pages of off-topic conversation were moved to a chitchat thread.....wonder if that'll happen again...we've strayed far, far away from layoffs, attendance and Iger. :facepalm:
Don't worry, @pheneix is gone after accomplishing what they set out to do with this thread.

Heppenheimer

Most European countries take forever when it comes to table service. It's not because they are rude or don't care (well tips are less important, so they don't need to fawn over you), but it is usually due to less staffing. Since everyone is salary they hire fewer waiters and they need to cover more tables per person, so it takes longer. Good idea is to always get the check (and please make it clear if you are using credit card when you ask for it..show them the card as you do the "check wave"), as you are finishing your food...don't wait for the end, bc you could wait 20 minutes for it. Also, for Lunch, if you are sitting down with a waiter, you need about 2 hours before your next tour, etc.
That actually isn't the reason service is slower. The reason is because dining is usually more of a social event in Europe, and the idea is that the table is yours for as long as you want to keep it. It's not just a brief interval to stuff your gullet between fast passes, but rather an opportunity to relax, enjoy the scenery and ambience, and carry on a conversation with friends and family. The restaurant isn't trying to turn over tables as fast as possible, so you signal the wait staff when you're ready, instead of the waiter constantly checking to see if you're finished.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Most European countries take forever when it comes to table service. It's not because they are rude or don't care (well tips are less important, so they don't need to fawn over you), but it is usually due to less staffing. Since everyone is salary they hire fewer waiters and they need to cover more tables per person, so it takes longer.
Not really.
Previously, several pages of off-topic conversation were moved to a chitchat thread.....wonder if that'll happen again...we've strayed far, far away from layoffs, attendance and Iger. :facepalm:
There might be more news soon on the topic. Though I’d hope there won’t be.

chama1

Orlando is a low wage city and one of the worst in the US for housing affordability. I’ll argue that most CM’s are a missed paycheck away from deciding if they want rent or food.

So, like 2008. But with fewer $150/wk motels on 192.

chama1

Orlando is not only a low wage state but there's no income tax, right to work state...which will come into play during lay-offs,

Lilofan

Orlando is a low wage city and one of the worst in the US for housing affordability. I’ll argue that most CM’s are a missed paycheck away from deciding if they want rent or food.

So, like 2008. But with fewer $150/wk motels on 192.
Missed paycheck? If you try describing America that's more accurate.

Lilofan

Never had a problem overseas with thinking a particular culture was rude or hated americans.

Just be a decent respectful person and more than likely, you will receive it back in kind. Learn a few local phrases, make an effort to conform to the proper etiquette and learn the P's and Q's before going.

People are people, all over the world. Yes, languages and social etiquette may change from place to place, but the more you travel, the more you will find that there is not that much difference. Thats the joy of traveling out of the country. Its a shame that more people dont do it, the world would be better off.
The more people travel the more they open their eyes into how the greatest way of life, opportunities and freedoms are right here in the USA.

DCLcruiser

That actually isn't the reason service is slower. The reason is because dining is usually more of a social event in Europe, and the idea is that the table is yours for as long as you want to keep it. It's not just a brief interval to stuff your gullet between fast passes, but rather an opportunity to relax, enjoy the scenery and ambience, and carry on a conversation with friends and family. The restaurant isn't trying to turn over tables as fast as possible, so you signal the wait staff when you're ready, instead of the waiter constantly checking to see if you're finished.
I mean I only have a handful of trips and experiences to go off of, but I don't recall seeing nearly as many waiters in European restaurants as I do in the US. I recall outdoor seating areas in Paris with 10+ tables having 1 waiter. Here there would be multiple waiters. Since we don't pay waiters a high salary, and they are mostly tips, it is easier to hire more per shift.

I usually see them working (although a cigarette break has happened), not standing around ignoring customers. I get why the overall meal takes longer, but the waiters don't provide less service (or make it harder to interact with the customer) in order to enhance your dining experience. I don't think they want me impatiently waiting for another drink at Aperitivo, yet it happens. I assume it is because they are busy, and the incremental tip from another beer isn't as critical.

We have high end steak houses in NYC where your meal takes hours, on purpose for the experience...but you also don't have to refill your own glass of wine. The waiter sees you are almost out of wine and automatically comes over to pour your glass. Why? Great service + increasing the # of bottles of wine ordered = Potential of a larger Tip.

Last edited:

Apple Core

Not really.

There might be more news soon on the topic. Though I’d hope there won’t be.
It would be great not to have pages going off topic. I have cast member friends who are still furloughed and anxiously watching this thread and other forums for Martin's and others' updates on layoffs and attendance. Sadly they get no communication from WDW... well, except for last week's letter.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would be great not to have pages going off topic. I have cast member friends who are still furloughed and anxiously watching this thread and other forums for Martin's and others' updates on layoffs and attendance. Sadly they get no communication from WDW... well, except for last week's letter.
I really don’t want to be the bearer of news, good or bad. It’s a tragic topic.

Miss Bella

I mean I only have a handful of trips and experiences to go off of, but I don't recall seeing nearly as many waiters in European restaurants as I do in the US. I recall outdoor seating areas in Paris with 10+ tables having 1 waiter. Here there would be multiple waiters. Since we don't pay waiters a high salary, and they are mostly tips, it is easier to hire more per shift.

I usually see them working (although a cigarette break has happened), not standing around ignoring customers. I get why the overall meal takes longer, but the waiters don't provide less service (or make it harder to interact with the customer) in order to enhance your dining experience. I don't think they want me impatiently waiting for another drink at Aperitivo, yet it happens. I assume it is because they are busy, and the incremental tip from another beer isn't as critical.

We have high end steak houses in NYC where your meal takes hours, on purpose for the experience...but you also don't have to refill your own glass of wine. The waiter sees you are almost out of wine and automatically comes over to pour your glass. Why? Great service + increasing the # of bottles of wine ordered = Potential of a larger Tip.
Service is terrible in Europe, but when you only have one waiter for twenty tables it’s expected. Good news is you don’t have to tip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom