On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Mac Tonight

Bonine is a brand name for meclizine.
3F3B811F-B080-4C64-9EBD-8C512532BBC4.gif

Tay

I read the first 5 pages and the dramatics. I mean the new Detroit? Climate change must’ve hit Orlando. People still downplaying the severity of COVID and wonder why cases are going up daily. Even if wearing a mask gives me a 1% chance of not catching a could be deadly disease I’ll take it. It is very uncomfortable well at least the regular ones are my N95 is tolerable but once again it’s to protect you. They wear masks in Tokyo and other parts of Asia in just as hot weather and no one there complains. Americans think wearing a mask is like stripping them of their rights for some weird reason.

I don’t think WDW or the other parks would be hit so hard if they discounted admission. I have no idea why they couldn’t just monitor park hopping instead of not doing it. No park hopping, no perks, no discounts for non AP holders, no free parking but expect people to pay full price to wear a mask all day in Florida’s summer heat. They don’t seem to want people’s money during a pandemic. I know they especially Igor has egg all over their faces thinking that Disney fans would run back to Disney once it opens back up. Fox acquisition was always so stupid to me.

_caleb

I read the first 5 pages and the dramatics. I mean the new Detroit? Climate change must’ve hit Orlando. People still downplaying the severity of COVID and wonder why cases are going up daily. Even if wearing a mask gives me a 1% chance of not catching a could be deadly disease I’ll take it. It is very uncomfortable well at least the regular ones are my N95 is tolerable but once again it’s to protect you. They wear masks in Tokyo and other parts of Asia in just as hot weather and no one there complains. Americans think wearing a mask is like stripping them of their rights for some weird reason.

I don’t think WDW or the other parks would be hit so hard if they discounted admission. I have no idea why they couldn’t just monitor park hopping instead of not doing it. No park hopping, no perks, no discounts for non AP holders, no free parking but expect people to pay full price to wear a mask all day in Florida’s summer heat. They don’t seem to want people’s money during a pandemic. I know they especially Igor has egg all over their faces thinking that Disney fans would run back to Disney once it opens back up. Fox acquisition was always so stupid to me.
First the closure was going to build lots of pent-up demand for the parks. Then it was masks keeping people away. Then it was the State Line travel bans. Now it’s the ticket price and limited services. Why can’t it just be that there’s a global pandemic and sane and unselfish people don’t want to travel to a theme park right now?

Disney wants money. They just don’t want money that comes stained with the irreparable PR of a superspreader event.

Lilofan

First the closure was going to build lots of pent-up demand for the parks. Then it was masks keeping people away. Then it was the State Line travel bans. Now it’s the ticket price and limited services. Why can’t it just be that there’s a global pandemic and sane and unselfish people don’t want to travel to a theme park right now?

Disney wants money. They just don’t want money that comes stained with the irreparable PR of a superspreader event.
When the closure started happening, millions of Americans were not furloughed/laid off yet, so the prediction of pent up demand made sense. The bloodbath has not stopped. After Oct 1 when big companies that got federal bailout money can start laying off again, it will not be pretty.

CaptainAmerica

When the closure started happening, millions of Americans were not furloughed/laid off yet, so the prediction of pent up demand made sense. The bloodbath has not stopped. After Oct 1 when big companies that got federal bailout money can start laying off again, it will not be pretty.
I thought the October 1 restriction only applied to the airlines.

_caleb

Right. So next the economy will be the reason the parks are empty. We need the reason to be “public health.”

stretchsje

Simple: they are there just to lengthen the trips of out of town travelers - particularly internationals - and don’t really make much.

Waterparks aren’t coming back anytime soon.
I don't follow. If they are a bright spot in the industry right now, why wouldn't they lengthen trips? Imagine how wonderful it would feel to take a break from the scorching parks, hotter than normal from sweating into and exhaling into an already moist, dirty mask, by going down the street to a refreshing water park. The place where you can remove your mask without buying food first. It's pretty obvious that people want this, hence why water parks are holding up.

_caleb

I used the term because that’s what the medical experts are calling them. Whether you believe in them or not, you can be sure that Disney doesn’t want a bunch of people to get sick on the way to or while visiting their parks and resorts.

By the way (and to the topic of this thread), I think this is very much about Iger’s legacy. Whether he’s still considering a political career or not, I believe he’s still hanging around Disney because he doesn’t want to be associated with the current mess the company is in.

Last edited by a moderator:

_caleb

And then I realize it's hard to be as innovative today when they simply aren't trying as hard as they use to.
I think they think they’re trying as hard as they used to. WDI has some creative and hard-working people. But you’re right, they don’t work as hard as they did in the 60s-80s because as a company, Disney doesn’t have to. They don’t make their money (or their name) by working hard and innovating.

Monorail_Orange

I don't follow. If they are a bright spot in the industry right now, why wouldn't they lengthen trips? Imagine how wonderful it would feel to take a break from the scorching parks, hotter than normal from sweating into and exhaling into an already moist, dirty mask, by going down the street to a refreshing water park. The place where you can remove your mask without buying food first. It's pretty obvious that people want this, hence why water parks are holding up.
I think part of the real answer here is that Disney is going "all in" on the whole "effective mask" concept. At the waterparks, masks are obviously not compatible, and so, Disney is choosing not to operate them.

I also think, as has been already been mentioned, there are numerous other complicating factors, including that the lifeguards are primarily CP/IP (not there now).

You (plural "you," nothing personal) put all this in combination of Disney asking the question if it's worth operating, and apparently, so far, TDO's answer is no.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because nobody is coming out of town to take weeklong trips...contrary to what you see here.

Very infinitesimal numbers compared to the normal model.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think part of the real answer here is that Disney is going "all in" on the whole "effective mask" concept. At the waterparks, masks are obviously not compatible, and so, Disney is choosing not to operate them.

I also think, as has been already been mentioned, there are numerous other complicating factors, including that the lifeguards are primarily CP/IP (not there now).

You (plural "you," nothing personal) put all this in combination of Disney asking the question if it's worth operating, and apparently, so far, TDO's answer is no.
Perhaps...but if I know Disney internal data polling analysis ...they know masks are a huge problem for their business.

It could be a legal dictated approach that they’re using masks as a block...however

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

So what you’re saying is:

Travel is screwed?

Lol...if anyone wants a hoot...go back to the early covid threads and find all the Disney purists who swore this WOULDNT be the case...then see who said it would repeatedly (annoyingly so)...

And then see who has quietly retreated into the shadows?

sbunit

How about we just keep it simple and say it’s a multifactorial issue. There’s no one or two answers to their problem

Monorail_Orange

Perhaps...but if I know Disney internal data polling analysis ...they know masks are a huge problem for their business.

It could be a legal dictated approach that they’re using masks as a block...however
I know Disney is doubling-down on mask requirements, not only what we see externally, but also internally. There is training that stresses why the company is taking the stance that it is on the mask requirements, presumably to ensure that any recalcitrant employees/CMs are on-board.

This doesn't dispute or negate your point in any way, but it's an adjacent piece of the puzzle.

SirWillow

So what you’re saying is:

Travel is screwed?

At the risk of a slight diversion of topic- yep. Right now it certainly is.
had to take a trip from my home to LA area for some family business. Original flights into Ontario were canceled- not enough passengers and the times were changed. Still ended up with an entire row to myself because the plane had so few passengers.

Had to flyout of LAX home instead of Ontario because said flights were canceled. Ok, imagine LAX. Luggage check in for Delta had exactly 1 family in front of us. Security we had 3 and the line was at the top of the stairs. I've flown out of LAX a number of times and never seen that. it took us 10 minutes to check in luggage and clear security. And no, that is not a typo.

Entire row in front of me on my flight was empty, along with the rest of my row. it was an exit row so I moved up after we took off and had an entire open exit row to myself.

so yes, right now travel is screwed until things get under control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom