On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

DVCakaCarlF

I don't see any accounting tricks. What I see is a major delay in paying people and a real effort to collect what was due. I also saw debt pushed out. The current portion of debt went from $12B down to $10B, so $2B went into the future. It looks like a really alert and fast acting financial management crew that borrowed from the future to survive the present.

Having said that, I greatly appreciate your contribution and don't doubt that a new Disney is emerging. Bob Igor not being present was telling.
Right now, every company is “slow” in paying its bills.

Darth Snips

There’s sarcasm...font?! :oops:
1596589704007.png

LSLS

I'm very surprised at how many people are making the leap from the accounting tricks thing to thinking that is meant to be some shot about being illegal. Maybe its me not being an accountant, but I would think of moving money around to make things look better as a normal practice, and completely legal. And to someone like me, the playing with what money goes where is a series of tricks. I guess i don't associate tricks with being illegal.

Brer Oswald

I'm very surprised at how many people are making the leap from the accounting tricks thing to thinking that is meant to be some shot about being illegal. Maybe its me not being an accountant, but I would think of moving money around to make things look better as a normal practice, and completely legal. And to someone like me, the playing with what money goes where is a series of tricks. I guess i don't associate tricks with being illegal.
It’s completely legal and they definitely do it all the time. It’s a part of their job

tirian

Correct, and this is an old tactic.

I haven’t seen any of the old timers accusing the company of doing of anything illegal. Calling the Disney+ content “sales to D+” is a good example of the silliness. Sales from — what? — another business division?

DVCakaCarlF

Correct, and this is an old tactic.

I haven’t seen any of the old timers accusing the company of doing of anything illegal. Calling the Disney+ content “sales to D+” is a good example of the silliness. Sales from — what? — another business division?
Correct, how do you think the power company “pays” for its own use of power.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Bob Igor not being present was telling.
Bob Iger was not anywhere near this presentation to shareholders this afternoon. That is a thing too.
It was telling that he's not the current CEO. The call proceeded as all past calls have with the CEO and CFO.
That's your opinion. Stop saying these sort of things in a "insider's scoop" thread as if this was more insider scoop. It's all part of a spin you gave away in the thread title and you're still spinning.

Hey folks, this isn't inside information. It's perfectly normal for the CEO and CFO to be on the call and not the Executive Chair of the Board to be there. Don't buy the spin.

Exactly On the last quarters call, Iger introduced Chapek, and then Chapek ran the rest of the call. One could even say he handed these calls off to Chapek.. Why anyone is reading into him not being there this time is beyond me. He's no longer the CEO.
What I posted was a fictional story that poked light at the “Iger Puppet Master” theory in an effort to be funny. Clearly I was unsuccessful.

I got it. 🙂
Could any of us imagined this one year ago? Could any of us pictured an 85% YoY collapse?

Could anyone have imagined a pandemic virus that shut down most of the world for several months, and is still with us, causing us to have debates on whether or not children should even be in school, having to wear face masks everywhere, dealing with things such as social distancing? This is a global problem affecting everyone. Not just TWDC. Not just parks and resorts.

The same leeway is not granted for DPEP.

The "same leeway" is being granted to all COVID-affected businesses. It's not all pixie dust in Burbank right now to be sure, but Wall Street will be happy with Disney as long as Disney appears to be doing a good job weathering the storm, whether or not Parks, experiences and consumer products turns a profit right now. We are in unprecedented times, and expectations are adjusted accordingly.

people are scared or not interested in wearing a mask.

I don't think that's it at all. it's more about the fact that Florida is going through an outbreak right now, and many people are required to self quarantine for 14 days if they come back from Florida. I know several people personally who postponed trips just because of that rule. Sure, I think there are some people who don't want to wear a mask. But I think there's a whole swath of people who just don't want to be in Florida right now. As they said on the call, initial bookings were high, but then they received a lot of cancellations as Florida's outbreak occurred.

Ldno

Basically the parks are screwed and they expect Disney + to keep them afloat? Lolol, The Disney bubble will burst. Kind of makes no sense like how my local Mall Store is closed but the outlet disney store is open. That’s Disney for you.

The Visionary Soul

I haven't read past page 1 so far, but the reason National Parks are "doing well" is because there is one within a few hours drive of almost anywhere. Flying is a nightmare now and most are not going to drive to WDW if they live, say, north of Tennessee or west of Alabama. That is why attendance is low, not the masks. Also, there is little to no international travel from overseas to the US now, so that hurts. It isn't the masks.
The data says otherwise. You're clearly misinformed.

MerlinTheGoat

What about what @MerlinTheGoat said about Chapek and Iger fighting over whether or not to change it, with Chapek winning, and Chapek not wanting to change it?
I wasn't the source of this claim FYI. I am not nor have I ever claimed to be an insider. The claim that the Splash Mtn overhaul had been canned and that there was a war between Iger and Chapek over it It was initially reported by WDW Pro in the Red Button thread. Pro also having broken the story about the PATF overhaul in the first place. Pheneix also stated the project (at least at WDW) was likely canned. As of two hours ago, pheneix said he still stands by this claim.

Brer Panther

I wasn't the source of this claim FYI. I am not nor have I ever claimed to be an insider. The claim that the Splash Mtn overhaul had been canned and that there was a war between Iger and Chapek over it It was initially reported by WDW Pro in the Red Button thread. Pro also having broken the story about the PATF overhaul in the first place. Pheneix also stated the project (at least at WDW) was likely canned. As of two hours ago, pheneix said he still stands by this claim.

Sorry, I knew it was Pheneix who brought that up, I think I just couldn't remember how to spell his name. My apologies to both of you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom