On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

CaptainAmerica

You mean mean people who can’t afford or don’t want to prepay for a park visit 10, 11, 12 months from now. There’s a certain amount of cynicism in thinking it solely markets to those that can’t afford to prepay. I can certainly afford to prepay our Uni passes, but there’s no reason to.
It's entirely cynical. That doesn't mean it's incorrect.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Helping them with what?

These places print money, and I don’t want to hear how “their losing money on this deal.”

I sold my truck to car max once for $13,000, and I thought I was robbing them when I made $2000.00 after paying it off.

Little did i know they were robbing me...it was on the lot the next day for $18,900.00.

That BS that they only make $300/car is a bold face lie.

We are way off topic now - but you're mashing together different things. Besides.. what their actual margin is has nothing to do with the actual posts in question.

PhotoDave219

No one could have prepared specifically for COVID-19, that's true. But there are certain good general preparations one can be responsible enough to make that will change the outcome of most any crisis.

I'm talking about things like having a sizeable emergency fund, avoiding excessive debt, etc. If someone had minimal debt and 3 months worth of expenses in the bank as an emergency fund, they would have done a lot better when COVID-19 hit than one who has debt up to their eyeballs and no emergency fund.

..... when you live paycheck to paycheck, you cant have the luxury of having three months in the bank. $7.25/hr doesnt go very far.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
To get off cars...

Disney would sell more APS if they did a monthly plan at no interest. It’s just that simple.

Very few Disney parks issues go back to the first week of the microeconomics supply and demand curve. This does.

The question really is: do they want to?

Regional parks live off APs...because the money is made off the other stuff and it guarantees attendance.

Universal has “straddled” the approach...in some ways encouraging them and also discouraging them strategically.

Disney has all but activitly discouraged them the last 5 years...if you follow the moves.

I don’t believe they want them.

The monthly payment plan guarantees a regular source of passive income for the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Some purchasers may be that way. Others - like me - prefer to stay as liquid as possible.

The point is when the dealer sells a loan - they get a commission. That is money the dealer sees in the transaction and hence has more space to negotiate the sales price lower. You're baiting them with money they think they will get.. so let them sell the loan, then close the loan. That was the point of the item mentioned.

Reality is most can't easily close out the loan - so in most cases, being armed with your own Financing is best to ensure you get the best possible rate. But go in with your interest rate, and 9/10 times, the dealer will work to have their banks match your rate. So they can still get their commission and the bank still gets the loan.

Dealers are incentivized to direct buyers to their partners. CA's point was - use that to your advantage because the dealer will see more items in their + column if you use their loan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Subaru is weird on how well they hold their value. I bought a 2017 WRX with 4k miles in 2018 for $24k. Traded it in a year later with 18k miles for... $24k!!!

Zero complaints. I got to enjoy that car for the cost of gas, three oil changes, and keeping it insured.
Subarus are very unique in that regard.

It’s almost a “cult”. One of the people I talked about - who works for Land Rover and used to work for Subaru...describes it as a “bunch of faux adventurer hipsters and moms...the “fake outdoorsy” that go to target and LA Fitness”

...that’s a nail on the head.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You aren't lying if you don't broadcast that you've just been laid off.

The scenario here was linkedin.. and saying you hadn't seen changes... and that would be for NDAs. For an NDA to 'force me' to not change my employment history would be to lie to say I'm still working for the company. That's not happening.

NDAs aren't going to ban you from acknowledging your separation. They will ban you from discussing the terms.

Never mind that the size of layoffs Disney would be talking about here would likely fall under the WARN act. You can't NDA your way out of that.

The entire 'NDAs are why you don't hear about layoffs' is a complete bunkus idea.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The point is when the dealer sells a loan - they get a commission. That is money the dealer sees in the transaction and hence has more space to negotiate the sales price lower. You're baiting them with money they think they will get.. so let them sell the loan, then close the loan. That was the point of the item mentioned.

Reality is most can't easily close out the loan - so in most cases, being armed with your own Financing is best to ensure you get the best possible rate. But go in with your interest rate, and 9/10 times, the dealer will work to have their banks match your rate. So they can still get their commission and the bank still gets the loan.

Dealers are incentivized to direct buyers to their partners. CA's point was - use that to your advantage because the dealer will see more items in their + column if you use their loan.
See...but the way you phrased it - it makes sense...

He’s just been ranting and gotten stung. It’s a bad weekend - apparently?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I can’t read. :)

Failure wasn't the choice - it was their outcome. It's a fact many come down to 'work their dream job' and find out they can't make it work. Many don't do the due diligence to see what the math really is.. they instead let 'dreams' cloud their judgement and then a year or so later they leave in disgust.

There is no 'choice' in acknowledging that reality - that's history.

hopemax

You mean mean people who can’t afford or don’t want to prepay for a park visit 10, 11, 12 months from now. There’s a certain amount of cynicism in thinking it solely markets to those that can’t afford to prepay. I can certainly afford to prepay our Uni passes, but there’s no reason to.
AFAIK, Universal AP's renew at a 20% discount if you pay in full vs FlexPay.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Failure wasn't the choice - it was their outcome. It's a fact many come down to 'work their dream job' and find out they can't make it work. Many don't do the due diligence to see what the math really is.. they instead let 'dreams' cloud their judgement and then a year or so later they leave in disgust.

There is no 'choice' in acknowledging that reality - that's history.
Well here I completely agree...

You’re describing what I label as the “Boomerang Effect” to a T

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The scenario here was linkedin.. and saying you hadn't seen changes... and that would be for NDAs. For an NDA to 'force me' to not change my employment history would be to lie to say I'm still working for the company. That's not happening.

NDAs aren't going to ban you from acknowledging your separation. They will ban you from discussing the terms.

Never mind that the size of layoffs Disney would be talking about here would likely fall under the WARN act. You can't NDA your way out of that.

The entire 'NDAs are why you don't hear about layoffs' is a complete bunkus idea.

I'm just wondering now how many other significant lay-offs have taken place in secret!!

;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

If the NDA includes a clause that prohibits you from posting your dismissal on social sites, and you sign it, then you've agreed to those terms. It's a contract.

It's one thing to update your resume on linkdin -- it's something else to rush to twitter or facetime to scream that you've been fired.

Would it be legal? I don't know.

But I know I wouldn't want to spend my severance bonus on lawyers to find out.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
But from an accounting purpose...they do that anyway.

If I buy my $850 “discount”
Pass today...they recognize that revenue over the course of the year even if the money leaves me all at once.

Are you certain that Disney works that way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom