On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

MaximumEd

Our recent trip from July 12-22 was the same. I have a couple pics I took when walking into Liberty Square from FL. One each direction toward Frontier and Mansion. They were taken at noon and there’s barely anyone in the shots. One day the MK opened at 9. By 11 we rode Space, 7D, Pooh, Small World, Peter Pan, Mermaid, and HM. 2 hours flat.

Captain Neo

The problem at WDI is that the vast majority of the Baby Boomer generation of talent (Tony Baxter, Eddie Sotto, Tim & Steve Kirk) were either pushed out or moved on out of frustration to greener pastures while still in their prime and they never really had the opprotunity to mentor and facilitate the next generation (Gen X and Millenial) of talent at imagineering. So what you have left at WDI is mostly the mediocre remnants of the baby boomer imagineers (Kathy Magnum, Tom Fitzgerald, etc.) and under them a bunch of worker Bees who just treat imagineering as "just as job" and do what ever the corporation tells them to do. There is no passion, creativity, or craftsmanship left so laying off imagineers will be a mercy killing at this point.

We just don't get things like the 1967 Tomorrowland with all its interconnectivity, or big brand new ride system concepts, or rich theming, or creative ideas like Splash Mountain and its ingenious reuse of the America Sings animatronics. The glory days have been over for a long time :(

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
First, Phone call from HR. If you don’t answer, you receive a certified mail for a return date.

That's how you algo get terminated for no-call/no-show. You get a certified letter.

It happened to one person I know who got into a nasty car accident and was hospitalized for a week or so. When he got home, he received a certified letter notifying of the termination.

oceanbreeze77

what's happening with the movie industry? We have already seen the Mulan mess and the live action push back, but what about movies like Black widow? Pixar? The reality is theaters will not be open for a very long time.

SoFloMagic

I assume their income has been affected by the loss of foot traffic & they’ve figured out that the majority of their foot traffic won’t return until everyone is wearing a mask, apparently the Karen demographic doesn’t spend enough to make up for the customers they drive away.
This. Also, I think they're realizing the anti-mask crowd is actually very small, and they aren't losing any measurable business due to this (but, as you pointed out, stand to potentially gain a lot).

SoFloMagic

Maybe I’m missing something, but how is this a deal?

This ticket is $164 to go to either park for 5 months, and there’s no discounts on merch or parking.

An annual pass without parking is $269.99 for 15 months.

I’d rather stick with any of the annual pass options, tbh.
Honestly that $269 pass makes no sense either. If you go once a month you'll give them another $250 in parking and end up paying $500. The pass that includes parking and express pass is like $450. The more you use it, the more you pay...

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Frontline can largely be reduced through natural attrition without resorting to layoffs. Also lack of CP’s takes care of a large portion of any overage. Frontline also has union complications that don’t exist with corporate, WDI, management, and other support roles.

That's true. Disney's probably going to be extremely strict with discipline now. Expect reprimands for things that a year ago wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow.

bluetiedye

Plus, there is no real need to layoff someone who is already furloughed. Just avoid the bad PR and say you intend to bring them all back as soon as business improves.
Disney is still paying for their benefits (e.g insurance). If they get laid off, Disney will save that money. No idea how many people are still furloughed though. I’d assume most are back now since the parks reopened.

Dutch Inn '76

Yes, but right now is not the time to be all "akshully its YoUr FaULt that you're struggling and about to be evicted!"

I think this is the perfect time to point it out, in a forum like this. Mean is doing it publicly to someone's face. If a job doesn't pay a living wage, then don't expect to make a living while working that job. Get a different job.

I love to watercolor, and I'm pretty good at it. I doubt I could support a family with it though, so I do something else for a living and watercolor when I can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom