Old paper ticket with a day not used question

rosebud's mom

I have seen in other threads here that an unused day from the old-style paper tickets that they stamped at the turnstiles can be added into a Hopper pass.

My question is this : Does this have to be done ONLY at the parks ? Or is it possible to turn it in at The Disney Store and buy a 4-day Hopper but get a 5 day ?

Have any of you up-graded a paper ticket ?

SpenceMan01

Where in DtD can you exchange old tix for new ones? We have 3 4-Day world passports. None of the days have been used. There has been some concern that Disney will question their validity. Do we have anything to worry about with that? Also, will Disney still mail you your voided tickets as souveniers? We did this in 2000 and would like to do it again in January.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

SpenceMan01 said:
Where in DtD can you exchange old tix for new ones? We have 3 4-Day world passports. None of the days have been used. There has been some concern that Disney will question their validity. Do we have anything to worry about with that? Also, will Disney still mail you your voided tickets as souveniers? We did this in 2000 and would like to do it again in January.
Look at the back of the ticket. If there is no expiration date on it, you will be fine. You can exchange them at DD at Guest relations. I would not exchange an old ticket. The allowance for it would not be a good deal. Use what you have, you would be entering the parks at the old prices.
If it is one that has to be stamped and you want one with a magnetic strip on it to use for the fast pass lines and don't want more than the 4 days on it, they will exchange it for a newer one at no charge and will give you the voided one right on the spot, but, you do have to ask for it.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Original Poster
Mine is a 3-Day World Passport with one day not used. It was last used in July 1986 on the 14th and 16th. i'm pretty sure that's when we bought it. I lived in Florida at that time and had relatives from up north that came down. Of course, you have to take them to Disney, but when they left I had no desire to go back in JULY !! I put the ticket away, and ended up misplacing it until recently. The sad thing is the price on the back. $ 48.50 sales tax included ! Does that mean I will only get about $20 for turning it in ?

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

rosebud's mom said:
Mine is a 3-Day World Passport with one day not used. It was last used in July 1986 on the 14th and 16th. i'm pretty sure that's when we bought it. I lived in Florida at that time and had relatives from up north that came down. Of course, you have to take them to Disney, but when they left I had no desire to go back in JULY !! I put the ticket away, and ended up misplacing it until recently. The sad thing is the price on the back. $ 48.50 sales tax included ! Does that mean I will only get about $20 for turning it in ?
Nope, it means you will get about 16.16 back. Use that ticket and purchase a new one. If you want it for park hopping and fast pass, they will issue you a new one for one day at no charge.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Original Poster
Just to make sure that I am understanding correctly...

I should take the ticket to any of the parks and use it to get in ? We're getting 5-day hoppers this trip, but if we can use the old one then one of the adults would only need a 4 day. What I'm a little unclear on is, do I go to guest relations first or the turnstiles first ?

Thanks for helping !

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

rosebud's mom said:
Just to make sure that I am understanding correctly...

I should take the ticket to any of the parks and use it to get in ? We're getting 5-day hoppers this trip, but if we can use the old one then one of the adults would only need a 4 day. What I'm a little unclear on is, do I go to guest relations first or the turnstiles first ?

Thanks for helping !

Go to the parks and go to guest relations. Say you have an old ticket and would like to use it to enter the park. They'll verify you can use it, then you can go into the park. DON'T EXCHANGE IT FOR A NEW TICKET!!!

Also, since you bought it in 1986, you can only enter the parks with that pass that were open in 1986, so only Magic Kingdom and Epcot, no MGM or Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Original Poster
Thanks so much for clearing that up. It isn't a problem being limited to the first 2 parks for one day. How exactly do they keep track of it, though ?

I mean at the time it was purchased it allowed hopping between MK and Epcot, so I would assume it would still be valid for that. Since we have 4 other days of unlimited hopping, it isn't an issue. I'm just curious as to how it will work !

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

rosebud's mom said:
Thanks so much for clearing that up. It isn't a problem being limited to the first 2 parks for one day. How exactly do they keep track of it, though ?

I mean at the time it was purchased it allowed hopping between MK and Epcot, so I would assume it would still be valid for that. Since we have 4 other days of unlimited hopping, it isn't an issue. I'm just curious as to how it will work !
Actually, I think the ticket will automatically allow the use of the 4 parks.
www.allearsnet.com has a ton of information on tickets.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Testtrack321 said:
Go to the parks and go to guest relations. Say you have an old ticket and would like to use it to enter the park. They'll verify you can use it, then you can go into the park. DON'T EXCHANGE IT FOR A NEW TICKET!!!

Also, since you bought it in 1986, you can only enter the parks with that pass that were open in 1986, so only Magic Kingdom and Epcot, no MGM or Animal Kingdom.
I don't believe that is correct.
From Deb's site:

I have some old passes with leftover days that say they are only valid for entry to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Are those still good?

Yes. Have them converted to the magnetic strip ticket and you can still use them. Oh by the way, once you do the conversion your days can be used at any of the four major parks now.

http://allearsnet.com/pl/ticket.htm#6

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

Gail Hayden said:
I don't believe that is correct.
From Deb's site:

I have some old passes with leftover days that say they are only valid for entry to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Are those still good?

Yes. Have them converted to the magnetic strip ticket and you can still use them. Oh by the way, once you do the conversion your days can be used at any of the four major parks now.

http://allearsnet.com/pl/ticket.htm#6

Interesting, I remember when Ak opened they didn't allow older tickers sold before it's launch to go into the park.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Testtrack321 said:
Interesting, I remember when Ak opened they didn't allow older tickers sold before it's launch to go into the park.
Right you are, but, they changed that shortly after AK opened. Too much confusion and guest complaints.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Testtrack321 said:

Actually I think that you were allowed to use old tickts at AK, because I remember going there and having to trade in passes because ours weren't programmed for AK. They had a board up with a bunch of the tickets on them and if you had any of those you needed to trade them in for new passes. After that they added something to the back of every ticket stating that it is not valid for any park comencing operation after 5/1/98. So if a new park opens in the future, your days that you have now will only be good at the 4 parks that are currently open.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

DisneyInsider said:
Actually I think that you were allowed to use old tickts at AK, because I remember going there and having to trade in passes because ours weren't programmed for AK. They had a board up with a bunch of the tickets on them and if you had any of those you needed to trade them in for new passes. After that they added something to the back of every ticket stating that it is not valid for any park comencing operation after 5/1/98. So if a new park opens in the future, your days that you have now will only be good at the 4 parks that are currently open.
when the park first opened they did not allow you to use any ticket and did not trade in old ones for new ones that allowed entry into the park.
Within months of opening they started to change the tickets into ones that could be used in all parks.
Old tickets used to list what parks you could use them in.
New tickets do have the disclaimer you mentioned.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Gail Hayden said:
Look at the back of the ticket. If there is no expiration date on it, you will be fine. You can exchange them at DD at Guest relations. I would not exchange an old ticket. The allowance for it would not be a good deal. Use what you have, you would be entering the parks at the old prices.
If it is one that has to be stamped and you want one with a magnetic strip on it to use for the fast pass lines and don't want more than the 4 days on it, they will exchange it for a newer one at no charge and will give you the voided one right on the spot, but, you do have to ask for it.
When we went in 2000, we weren't aware of the ticket changeover (we just assumed that with the old stamped tickets we wouldn't be able to use Fastpass). So when we got to the TTC, we bypassed the ticket booths but got stopped at the gate into the monorail/ferry area. They said that we had to exchange them at the booths. So we trekked back to the booths, waited in line (which gave my dad something to complain about to Guest Relations...but that's a whole different story). Anyway, they moved the remaining days onto the new ticket media and even upgraded the child to an adult (because I had become an adult since our last visit). My dad asked to have the old tickets back as souveniers, and they said that they couldn't give us the old ones right away, but they took our address and mailed them to us.

In other words, in our experience, you HAVE to exchange old ticket media for new. They won't even get you onto the monorail much less into the park, and they will give you your old tickets, but only in the mail.

I think that we're on the same page Gail. We just want to exchange our old unused 4-Day World Passports for 4 Day park hoppers. My dad is just worried that they'll question them as counterfeit because they're completely unused. I hope nobody takes offense to this, but I think I am just going to call Disney directly and verify that we can exchange them at DtD and get the old ones back.

Upvote 0

STGRhost

"So we trekked back to the booths, waited in line (which gave my dad something to complain about to Guest Relations...but that's a whole different story)."

Because you had to wait in line? I hope there's more to that story...

Having worked in Guest Relations, I can tell you that it's unlikely they'll tell you anything different on the phone. The GR CMs will want to see the tickets, of course, but they'll be able to match them to the sample paper tickets we have in the office. They'll take them from you, and it'd unlikely that you'll get them back right then, as they have to turn them in to be audited. It is true that, if you ask, they'll take down your address to have them mailed back.

The rest is pretty much accurate - they'll stop you at the turnstiles and ask you to exchange the tix for the magnetic ones. They'll also change a child's ticket to an adult ticket if needed (no charge). They won't charge you for anything unless you want to use the remaining value of the tix towards the purchase of tix with more days. As others have said, your best deal is to use the tix you already have, and purchase new ones when the old ones are used up.

Either way, go to guest relations. They should be more than happy to explain things to you and let you know what your options are. :wave:

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

rosebud's mom said:

I had the same situation when I went this past March. I had two 3-Day world passport tickets from 1986, each with one day left. One ticket was an adult ticket, one was a child ticket.

All you need to go, like so many people have said, is go to guest relations in front of any park and tell them you have an old ticket you would like to use. They will happily give you a new plastic ticket. The new ticket will say "4-Day Park Hopper" on the back. But it will only have credit for how ever many days your old passport had left. In this case, it was only a single day. The whole process takes maybe three minutes.

They gave me two 4-Day park hopper tickets, each with one day on it. The child's ticket was converted to an adult ticket for no additional charge. I would recommend going early. Guest relations' line seems to fill up quickly in the morning.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom