Old paper ticket with a day not used question

rosebud's mom

I have seen in other threads here that an unused day from the old-style paper tickets that they stamped at the turnstiles can be added into a Hopper pass.

My question is this : Does this have to be done ONLY at the parks ? Or is it possible to turn it in at The Disney Store and buy a 4-day Hopper but get a 5 day ?

Have any of you up-graded a paper ticket ?

SpenceMan01

STGRhost said:
"So we trekked back to the booths, waited in line (which gave my dad something to complain about to Guest Relations...but that's a whole different story)."

Because you had to wait in line? I hope there's more to that story...
Oh yeah there is. You see, my Dad is a guest relations nightmare. He's the kind of guy where if he finds something wrong (ie: not posting a ride closure at the enterance and it being closed), he'll definitely let you know about it. In this situation, here's what happened:

On our '93 trip, we had some time to kill at the airport after our arrival and before we could pick up our rental car. We spent some time in the Disney Store browsing and whatnot. Somehow or another my dad got to talking to the salesman about park tickets. He said that they were changing the tickets the next day and that the price would go up and there would be other changes (no park hopping?). They also stated another benefit being that you wouldn't have to wait in line to buy tickets at the park. We ended up getting 5 adults and a child (2 adults and a child for that trip and 3 adults for future trips). We used all but 1 or 2 days on the passes used for that trip, so we had a day or 2 left over on each, plus the other 3 unused passes.

Fast forward to Spring Break 2000. We get stopped before we get into the Monorail/Ferry area and are told we had to exchange the tickets for new ones at the booths. We end up waiting in a fairly large line (Spring Break, remember?) and getting the tickets (2 adults, 1 child) exchanged. The child was upgraded to an adult for free.

My dad was a bit peeved that we had to wait in line and we ended up missing the opening of the MK. He's the type where you have to be there from open to close and get your money's worth. So first stop was City Hall to "give it to them". He argued on the basis that when the tickets were sold to him, one of the primary benefits that was pushed during the sale is that you wouldn't have to stand in line at the ticket booths. The guy apologized and offered to compensate our time spent in line at the ticket booths by giving us a card that would let us bypass the line for the attraction of our choice. Being Spring Break, and RnRC fairly new, we bypassed a major line there (line for Fastpass distribution was an hour long).

It all ended up fine, but it gives you the backstory about our ticket situation and the personality of my dad. The other 3 adult tickets we bought at the same time is what we're going to have to exchange in Jan.

Wow...if you made it through that, congrats. Just imagine if I decide to write a trip report for our upcoming trip.....you'd need a to take a vacation just to read it!! :hammer:

Anyway, when I get around to calling Disney, I will surely post what I find out!! I'm sure it will be the same as what STGRhost has said. Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0

STGRhost

SpenceMan01 said:
The guy apologized and offered to compensate our time spent in line at the ticket booths by giving us a card that would let us bypass the line for the attraction of our choice. Being Spring Break, and RnRC fairly new, we bypassed a major line there (line for Fastpass distribution was an hour long).

It all ended up fine, but it gives you the backstory about our ticket situation and the personality of my dad. The other 3 adult tickets we bought at the same time is what we're going to have to exchange in Jan.

:lol: My dad is a lot like that, too. It was kinda nice when I was working, 'cause I could see things from the guest's point of view, but when we're out together, it drives me crazy (I usually hang back to apologize to whomever has had to deal with him :eek: ) I'm glad to hear that the GR CM fixed things for you. Off property tickets very rarely get explained sufficiently, or correctly.
Good luck with your tickets!

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Alrighty, I just got off the phone with Guest Relations at DtD. The CM I spoke to said that we shouldn't have to wait for the tickets to be mailed back to us. She said what they'd do is photocopy our old tickets to keep for the paperwork (auditing, like STGRhost mentioned), issue the new tickets, void the old ones, and give us the voided tickets on the spot.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

SpenceMan01 said:
Alrighty, I just got off the phone with Guest Relations at DtD. The CM I spoke to said that we shouldn't have to wait for the tickets to be mailed back to us. She said what they'd do is photocopy our old tickets to keep for the paperwork (auditing, like STGRhost mentioned), issue the new tickets, void the old ones, and give us the voided tickets on the spot.
Yep, I knew that, cause it happened to us.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Yeah. Either way, now if they question it I can say that I was told we could do it by a CM at GR, instead of saying "Well...there's this website, and people on there said I could so..." Maybe the CM would understand, maybe not. Who knows. I'm just stubborn and I wanted to confirm it with Disney. Guess I'm kinda like my Dad in that respect.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

SpenceMan01 said:
Yeah. Either way, now if they question it I can say that I was told we could do it by a CM at GR, instead of saying "Well...there's this website, and people on there said I could so..." Maybe the CM would understand, maybe not. Who knows. I'm just stubborn and I wanted to confirm it with Disney. Guess I'm kinda like my Dad in that respect.
Certainly no harm in that. BUT....be aware, you can call and ask the same question and get an entirely different answer. Just like I could walk up there with tickets I wanted to save and get nowhere.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Just an update on this (what turned out to be a) mess.

When we got to guest relations at DTD Marketplace (between Team Mickey and Earl of Sandwich), we had a bit of a surprise. Before we exchanged the tix, we asked to have them back, and told them that I had phoned a couple months ago and they said they'd photocopy the ticket and give it back to us (see my previous post). Hastings (the CM) said that he couldn't do it, and that he had to turn it in to over/shorts. He also said that we couldn't even get them returned to us in the mail. Well, to make a really long story short, a large argument ensued between my dad and Hastings. Stupid me didn't write down the name of the CM I talked to when I had called. After about an hour of arguing, it all came to somewhat of a conclusion. Hastings said that he would try to get the tickets returned to us in the mail, but couldn't guarantee anything, we got our tickets exchanged, and Hastings was nice enough to give us 3 comp. tickets to PI.

We're really not expecting to get the tickets back (even though it's been done for us before). There's a couple things that concern me: (1) Hastings said that sometimes CRO pretends to be a GR office, and that I probably didn't even speak to someone at DTD GR (even though they answered the phone like that) and (2) We were able to have the old tix returned to us when exchanged at the MK ticket booths in 2000 (in fact, the CM was the one who suggested it). Has there been some sort of policy change or are park ticket booths and DTD GR so drastically different that they have completely different policies? Hastings said he had been there for 5 years (or more) and that he had never heard of returning the tickets as souveniers.

Can anybody shed some light on the situation for me?

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

UPDATE!!!

I just returned home from college and my dad handed me an envelope that's got the WDW logo on the front. I open it up and sure enough, inside are the tickets with a big VOID stamp on it and the corners notched out and a note from Hastings that said "Surprise!". A big thanks to Hastings (doubt he reads here, but oh well) for coming through on this one! It actually arrived before we got home (I just went back to school before they picked up the stopped mail) One more reason I LOVE Disney!

Upvote 0

Woody13

Gail Hayden said:
when the park first opened they did not allow you to use any ticket and did not trade in old ones for new ones that allowed entry into the park.
Within months of opening they started to change the tickets into ones that could be used in all parks.
Old tickets used to list what parks you could use them in.
New tickets do have the disclaimer you mentioned.

We bought AP's prior to the time AK first opened. After AK opened, we were told that we need to go by guest relations and pay for an upgrade to include AK. I figured it was going to be about $20.00 per AP. In fact, the upgrade price for us was $0.11 per AP.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom