Old Key West - Should we or shouldn't we?

correcaminos

Just an update - I couldn't pull the trigger on OKW. We ended up booking AKL instead, ultimately because we've had several REALLY good trips there and because it will be February, I like the idea of an "inside" resort with the rooms attached to the main bldg, particularly for early morning and late evening hours.

But based on the reviews so far, it sounds like our next stay needs to be at OKW!
We love AKL too and I think a Feb stay would be great there! Definitely try OKW in the future. They really are both lovely and relaxing resorts.

MinnieWaffles

OKW is such a lovely resort. We were also in the Miller's Road area and had a lovely view over a golf course where we could see right over to the main building and pool.

20180927_131850.jpg

richg35

I really like OKW. I first stayed there as a teen in the 90's when my grandparents purchased DVC.

I've been a DVC owner since 2012 and even though AKV is our home resort, two of our five stays have been at Old Key West. Part of it is the sentimentality of the family trips there when younger, but we also really like the resort.

Olivia's is a really good TS restaurant that seemingly flies under everyone's radar.
There's ample parking right outside your room. Since we either drive down or rent a car, it's nice having it right there.

Both or recent trips had us in rooms in the Turtle Pond Road area. The Turtle Pond pool is a nice quiet space, but the main pool is only about a 10 minute walk which didn't bother us. We live in a big city and several miles of walking a day is the norm for us. In comparison, Kidani village has some of the longest hallways ever, and we've been pretty far away from the lobby and pool when staying there. The one time I requested near lobby we got it, but the room was right by the bell services/front area of the hotel so there was no privacy unless the shades were closed, so I didn't love that.

There's also extensive bus service (a pro), but with multiple internal stops, one could be on the bus for a while before ever leaving the internal resort area (a con).

Skibum1970

I'd say the buses are on par with other resorts in general but agree with everything else.

Since you have been so helpful about OKW, I have a follow-up question for your comment. I had intended to rent a car for our upcoming trip (down to just a few days away) and, as you may remember, we're staying at OKW. We will spend most of our time at MK with separate days for Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Renting the car is tough for me. MK's parking lot still requires either monorail or boat to get to the park. However, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are actually better with a car since the parking lot is right by the bus depot.

Given your experience, are the buses for OKW reliable enough for wait times to eliminate the rental car? One big thing for me is that, when I am ready to leave the park, I am ready to go. I don't mind waiting for several minutes but have had times where I waited 45 minutes (typically due to getting to the depot right after the bus had left). Also, I don't have a good feeling for how crowded the buses will be. POFQ/PORS have fairly packed buses. The Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge buses usually weren't too packed.

richg35

Since you have been so helpful about OKW, I have a follow-up question for your comment. I had intended to rent a car for our upcoming trip (down to just a few days away) and, as you may remember, we're staying at OKW. We will spend most of our time at MK with separate days for Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Renting the car is tough for me. MK's parking lot still requires either monorail or boat to get to the park. However, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are actually better with a car since the parking lot is right by the bus depot.

Given your experience, are the buses for OKW reliable enough for wait times to eliminate the rental car? One big thing for me is that, when I am ready to leave the park, I am ready to go. I don't mind waiting for several minutes but have had times where I waited 45 minutes (typically due to getting to the depot right after the bus had left). Also, I don't have a good feeling for how crowded the buses will be. POFQ/PORS have fairly packed buses. The Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge buses usually weren't too packed.

Bus service at Disney is like any other public transportation system. Most of the time it works well, but that doesn't mean zero problems or delays. If you're used to having a rental car and coming and going as you please, then bus service might not be for you.

OKW has multiple internal bus stops. Depending on where your room is, you might be on a bus for 15 minutes or more before the bus even leaves the resort. This will add time to your trips.

There aren't many circumstances when bus service is faster than having a car. MK might be one because you can bypass the TTC, but if you wait a long time for a bus then this evens out a lot of the time.

I think if you are used to having a car, you should rent a car. You could try taking the bus to MK on your first MK and see how it works out and maybe decide not to use one on your next trip.

Skibum1970

Bus service at Disney is like any other public transportation system. Most of the time it works well, but that doesn't mean zero problems or delays. If you're used to having a rental car and coming and going as you please, then bus service might not be for you.

OKW has multiple internal bus stops. Depending on where your room is, you might be on a bus for 15 minutes or more before the bus even leaves the resort. This will add time to your trips.

There aren't many circumstances when bus service is faster than having a car. MK might be one because you can bypass the TTC, but if you wait a long time for a bus then this evens out a lot of the time.

I think if you are used to having a car, you should rent a car. You could try taking the bus to MK on your first MK and see how it works out and maybe decide not to use one on your next trip.

I have done it both ways. I've used the Disney buses but always managed to be at the main stop (ex. POFQ and PORS) or the only stop (ex. Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge). Usually, they worked out okay. Strangely, WL was the worst with the longest waits. I just don't know anything about OKW aside from nice rooms, quiet atmosphere, and a great walking path to SS and DS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom