Old Key West - Should we or shouldn't we?

Glasgow

Original Poster
We've stayed at WDW many times before, frequenting the mods and deluxes. Our favs are BC, WL and AKL, followed by CSR. I'm thinking about a shorter trip for next Spring so I'm comparing OKW and POFQ, both of which we've never stayed at (although we have stayed at POR). We're fine with larger resorts, such as CSR, CBR and POR and actually enjoy the walking, but from the map, OKW doesn't look to have the same quaint and isolated paths that the other mods have - it looks like a normal neighborhood connected by many two lanes roads.

How does OKW compare with the other large resorts and will we enjoy walking it, or is it more directed at families who are happy to be more isolated and stay in their rooms once they get back from the parks? I'm afraid it will be too spread out and we'll be ages away from the main bldg. Plus, my DW has mandated that we have a few off days where we only go to the pool, so we'd need fairly easy access to that. It appears that AKL's pool will be under a refurb in Feb, so that's out, and we don't want to experience any other large construction projects at the resort - hence the OKW v POFQ choice.

I'd be happy to hear opinions, both negative and positive! Thanks!

Disneyfreak Jen

I stayed at OKW for a week and loved it there. I was in the building next to the Turtle Pond pool, had a studio, so laundry and the Turtle Shack Snack bar we’re right next door. The bus stop was about a minute and a half walk. I found the tesortvto be very nice to walk around in, if you’ve ever been to the real Key West it’s similar to Truman Annex condos in the way it looks. Look on YouTube I’m sure there are plenty of videos showing the resort.
I didn’t go up to the main pool, I was really happy with Turtle Pond pool, so I was poolside pretty much every day at least for a few hours.
I was there during a Hurricane Matthew and having the little kitchenette helped as I brought food back to the rooms since we were on lockdown for about 24 hours.
Busses were great. The only negative was the road noise from Bonnett Parkway, but I use a white noise app on my phone so I wasn’t bothered by it, but it may be too much for some people.
You can also walk to Disney Springs by the walking trail by building 55.

HwdStudio

The 2 don’t really compare. Port Orleans FQ is a moderate and OKW is a deluxe villa resort underneath the Disney Vacation Club umbrella. OKW is nothing like you describe with quaint pathways like POR has.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I took a last minute trip in March and we ended up staying at OKW. It was the first time I wasn't on a resort on Bay Lake so I was hesitant at first. In the end, I ended up really liking the resort.

Pros
  • Big Spacious rooms. Since it was the first DVC room, they have some of the biggest rooms measured by square feet. We were in a 2BR villa and it was massive. But I know the other rooms are like this as well.
  • Multiple bus stops which are close to the buildings. We were in Building 46 which gave us close access to the South Point bus stop. We were also close walking distance to the Hospitality House which has the lobby, pool restaurants, etc.
  • Peace and Quiet. Due to it being large, it was super quiet all the time. It felt like we had gone home every night and never had to deal with other guests at all. We even as a great view of the Sassagula River and saw the boats go by.
  • Boat access to Disney Springs.
  • Olivias! One of Disney's best kept secret. Fantastic restaurant!
Cons
  • Buses. Sometimes it felt like it took a little too long to get to and from the resort. But I might be spoiled because I always stayed on Bay Lake resorts where there was only one bus stop. Old Key West has 4 or 5.
  • Outdated interior design in our room. The couches were really uncomfortable but luckily we didn't use them much.
If you stay at OKW, you can request which area you want to stay in. Hope this helps. Any questions, let me know!

Last edited:

Glasgow

Original Poster
I took a last minute trip in March and we ended up staying at OKW. It was the first time I wasn't on a resort on Bay Lake so I was hesitant at first. In the end, I ended up really liking the resort.

Pros
  • Big Spacious rooms. Since it was the first DVC room, they have some of the biggest rooms measured by square feet. We were in a 2BR villa and it was massive. But I know the other rooms are like this as well.
  • Multiple bus stops which are close to the buildings. We were in Building 46 which gave us close access to the South Point bus stop. We were also close walking distance to the Hospitality House which has the lobby, pool restaurants, etc.
  • Peace and Quiet. Due to it being large, it was super quiet all the time. It felt like we had gone home every night and never had to deal with other guests at all. We even as a great view of the Sassagula River and saw the boats go by.
Cons
  • Buses. Sometimes it felt like it took a little too long to get to and from the resort. But I might be spoiled because I always stayed on Bay Lake resorts where there was only one bus stop. Old Key West has 4 or 5.
  • Outdated interior design in our room. The couches were really comfortable but luckily we didn't use them much.
If you stay at OKW, you can request which area you want to stay in. Hope this helps. Any questions, let me know!

Thanks Matt - great review! We have a similar worry about the layout and bus situation - having stayed mostly in the single building layouts (AKL, WL, BC) we're a little weary of being "too far from the action", as it were. It sounds like OKW is a great option if we want to slow down just a bit and kick back more on this holiday.

Incidentally, i see that the AKL pool refurb should be complete before Feb so that's still an option for us. POFQ is out, so we're back to OKW vs AKL now.

One other question - does OKW have any specific activities for the kids as well? For example, AKL has night-vision goggles, smores and nightly presentations in the Lobby.

correcaminos

Pros
Cons
  • Outdated interior design in our room. The couches were really comfortable but luckily we didn't use them much.

It's under refurbishment right now. Maybe 1/3-1/2 done.

I'd say the buses are on par with other resorts in general but agree with everything else.

We own and love OKW. Definitely a great place to stay.

Thanks Matt - great review! We have a similar worry about the layout and bus situation - having stayed mostly in the single building layouts (AKL, WL, BC) we're a little weary of being "too far from the action", as it were. It sounds like OKW is a great option if we want to slow down just a bit and kick back more on this holiday.

Incidentally, i see that the AKL pool refurb should be complete before Feb so that's still an option for us. POFQ is out, so we're back to OKW vs AKL now.

One other question - does OKW have any specific activities for the kids as well? For example, AKL has night-vision goggles, smores and nightly presentations in the Lobby.

Yes they do. Though not quite as much as AKL (lots are related to Africa or animals in general). They have the campfire and the movie night. The pool activities are well done. Community hall has a lot to offer as well.

worldfanatic

I've always loved Old Key West.
But after this trip just completed, where I also stayed at Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge & All-Star Music, I really think it's my favorite place to stay in WDW. (I'm always debating which Resort I like best)
We stayed in the Miller's Road area, and between the very relaxing local pool and the short walk to the main pool & Hospitality House, it couldn't have been nicer.
The bus & boat wait times were low & it was just an amazing time.
(our balcony view)
IMG_20181001_074055121_HDR.jpg

Plowboy

But after this trip just completed, where I also stayed at Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge & All-Star Music, I really think it's my favorite place to stay in WDW. (I'm always debating which Resort I like best)
We stayed in the Miller's Road area, and between the very relaxing local pool and the short walk to the main pool & Hospitality House, it couldn't have been nicer.
The bus & boat wait times were low & it was just an amazing time
(our balcony view)View attachment 319359
We stayed on Miller's Rd a number of years ago and I couldn't agree with you more about your assessment of that area of OKW. We'll be down there beginning next Friday and I'm hoping our room is in that area. Out of curiosity, was your's one of the newly upgraded rooms?

worldfanatic

We stayed on Miller's Rd a number of years ago and I couldn't agree with you more about your assessment of that area of OKW. We'll be down there beginning next Friday and I'm hoping our room is in that area. Out of curiosity, was your's one of the newly upgraded rooms?
No, the renovations haven't gotten to the Miller's Road area yet. We decided we'd rather have that area instead of a newly renovated room. We did meet a couple at the Gurgling Suitcase that were staying in a newly renovated room in the Turtle Pond area.
They showed us pictures of the changes, it looks very nice.

Plowboy

No, the renovations haven't gotten to the Miller's Road area yet. We decided we'd rather have that area instead of a newly renovated room. We did meet a couple at the Gurgling Suitcase that were staying in a newly renovated room in the Turtle Pond area.
They showed us pictures of the changes, it looks very nice.

Thanks. I've been "on the fence" about location vs. upgrade and in the end I can live with either because after all, it's OKW at WDW!

Funny aside, we're doing the real Key West for 3 days before we hit OKW.

Bartledvd

Today we just got our confirmation of our booking for 2019 for 2BR villa after spending last few years trying the other deluxe resorts i am glad to be heading back to OKW as wonderfull as AKL, BC and BW have been we longed to be in OKW each time. Do not think we will ever try another resort again, Millers road is great and its our favorite almost always have the quiet pool and hot tub to our self bus stop close and easy walk to hospitality house.

Skibum1970

It's under refurbishment right now. Maybe 1/3-1/2 done.

I'd say the buses are on par with other resorts in general but agree with everything else.

We own and love OKW. Definitely a great place to stay.

Yes they do. Though not quite as much as AKL (lots are related to Africa or animals in general). They have the campfire and the movie night. The pool activities are well done. Community hall has a lot to offer as well.

I am now under one month away from our trip to OKW. Your comments keep making me feel pretty comfortable with the decision to try this resort.

Skibum1970

The bus & boat wait times were low & it was just an amazing time.
(our balcony view)View attachment 319359

That's such a great view.

Glasgow

Original Poster
Just an update - I couldn't pull the trigger on OKW. We ended up booking AKL instead, ultimately because we've had several REALLY good trips there and because it will be February, I like the idea of an "inside" resort with the rooms attached to the main bldg, particularly for early morning and late evening hours.

But based on the reviews so far, it sounds like our next stay needs to be at OKW!

Bartledvd

AKL is also a great place and as you have been there you know what to expect and what you look forward to, when we stayed last year it was 30 seconds from main entrance to our pool view balcony (room 3014) very nice with tired feet.

Enjoy planning your magical vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom