Ok...WITHOUT Getting Political...The Hall of Presidents Update

FigmentPigments

I doubt they can either. Who doesn't love a good story about James K. Polk, or the mystique of Grover Cleveland being both the 22nd and 24th President lol?

Well, a month or so ago on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, they did their street question segment asking about this when one of the Marvel comic movies came out...and of course everybody could name a ton of the DC/Marvel superheroes, but not hardly any of the US presidents!
So true. I love history so Liberty Square holds a special place in my heart anyway. I know I can't name every president off the top of my head, but that's just disheartening to hear how pop culture has overtaken our own history.

Daniel Johnson

I for one love HOP. Always have. Drag my wife to it every trip. I think current president should speak, regardless of who it is. It's history. A little bit of education and historical fact isn't going to ruin anyone's trip anymore than small world will.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I doubt they can either. Who doesn't love a good story about James K. Polk, or the mystique of Grover Cleveland being both the 22nd and 24th President lol?

Well, a month or so ago on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, they did their street question segment asking about this when one of the Marvel comic movies came out...and of course everybody could name a ton of the DC/Marvel superheroes, but not hardly any of the US presidents!

Seriously, Teddy Roosevelt is my favorite, he would have a good yarn or two to share....on the radio recently they had interviewed some twenty somethings and asked if they could name any of the founding fathers....one could only come up with Abraham Lincoln....gleep. Used to be George had a picture in most classrooms front and center....poor guy. I could probably name most of the presidents, my children can in order!....but marvel superheroes? Maybe skim by on a multiple choice. :)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I for one love HOP. Always have. Drag my wife to it every trip. I think current president should speak, regardless of who it is. It's history. A little bit of education and historical fact isn't going to ruin anyone's trip anymore than small world will.

Actually depending on whom it is could greatly deter from my vacation experience....thus the avoidance factor kept in reserve. I was thinking it would be rather fun if and when Hillary becomes president that they could program some of those older gentlemen to greatly raise their eyebrows and turn their heads in wonder...:cyclops:.....ha;)....actually they might be rather concerned with either choice but nonetheless.....it will be interesting to see what they do and how it appears some day.:) AND DH thinks of it as a napping spot anyhow, it is I who have to drag him, but I save it for when it gets hot and we need a cool break.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Gosh, that's a good question, but as "polarized" as we (Americans), are right now, id almost just rather have a "historical", figure like Washington or Lincoln that is at least less polarizing. There's enough politics in the real world, and I like the somewhat "apolitical" world of Disney as it is.
If someone is getting riled up over a pro American speech given by the candidate they didn't back,that happens to be a robot at a theme park they have issues. Its the president and like him or her or not once elected we need to respect the position they have attained and the people they are...or ah robots in this case.

Goofyernmost

If someone is getting riled up over a pro American speech given by the candidate they didn't back,that happens to be a robot at a theme park they have issues. Its the president and like him or her or not once elected we need to respect the position they have attained and the people they are...or ah robots in this case.
Gosh, why didn't I think of that?

pumpkin7

I wonder where the Hall of Presidents comes on the priority list of a newly appointed President.
"Congratulations Sir! Here's your new office, the toilet is down the corridor on the right, and we really need to get your new AA for Disney's Hall of Presidents sorted before you worry about any of the current country wide issues so when you're ready, we'll get started!".

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hey I just read in the latest Vault of Walt 5 book by Jim Korkis, that in 2012 that it was no longer cost effective to produce audioanimatronics, Garner Holt Productions which had been doing contract work for Disney acquired the entire stock of parts dating back 40 years! They now will do the repairs and create anything new. Says Valerie was laid off in 2010. I had to giggle at the chapter title as it made me think of this thread...Robobama. :D Just a bit of HOP history....;)

216bruce

Actually depending on whom it is could greatly deter from my vacation experience....thus the avoidance factor kept in reserve. I was thinking it would be rather fun if and when Hillary becomes president that they could program some of those older gentlemen to greatly raise their eyebrows and turn their heads in wonder...:cyclops:.....ha;)....actually they might be rather concerned with either choice but nonetheless.....it will be interesting to see what they do and how it appears some day.:) AND DH thinks of it as a napping spot anyhow, it is I who have to drag him, but I save it for when it gets hot and we need a cool break.
Ya know, the whole 'reaction' to Hillary thing would be cool. I wonder who would turn, comment etc. I love that idea. It could have been done for Obama too...some of more 'men of their time' guys might have been aghast.

216bruce

Hey I just read in the latest Vault of Walt 5 book by Jim Korkis, that in 2012 that it was no longer cost effective to produce audioanimatronics, Garner Holt Productions which had been doing contract work for Disney acquired the entire stock of parts dating back 40 years! They now will do the repairs and create anything new. Says Valerie was laid off in 2010. I had to giggle at the chapter title as it made me think of this thread...Robobama. :D Just a bit of HOP history....;)
For some reason, the whole WDI not doing animatronics irks the bujeezus out of me. Growing up back in the 60's, the AA thing was what made Disney so amazingly cool....they made robots! Well, to a kid in the 60's they WERE robots. WDI at one point dreamed up the stuff, made a lot of it in-house and installed it. Now...kinda different.

KINGLOUIS1993

Rutherford B Hayes is a personal favourite of mine.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
For some reason, the whole WDI not doing animatronics irks the bujeezus out of me. Growing up back in the 60's, the AA thing was what made Disney so amazingly cool....they made robots! Well, to a kid in the 60's they WERE robots. WDI at one point dreamed up the stuff, made a lot of it in-house and installed it. Now...kinda different.

Seriously, since when does something being not cost efficient determine creativity? Outsourcing seems to be the buzz for too many companies. Imagineering being downsized would not be good for the future of the parks.....while this is a more technical thing, it always was a Disney thing....maintenance I can see, but wondering about the rest of that story?

216bruce

Howzabout replacing Uncle Wilbur in COP with William Howard Taft? It could be an educational moment when he gets stuck in the bathtub...."Well, that's progress for you."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom