Ok let's air it out there......

echoreyn

No more films touted as "attractions," please.

I wholeheartedly agree with that one!
Narnia, especially, was the biggest disappointment ever for me. Those movies have the potential to spawn all sorts of attractions, but instead they chose to make it a video of "behind the scenes" stuff I had seen weeks earlier.

im a little anoyed with the recent video projections popping up all over

Yea, I'm not liking how they seem to be recently relying on that technology.
It works when it's believable (Nemo/Living Seas....Madame Leota/Little Leota/Singing Busts) but when it's completely obvious that it's a projection (HM Bride....Buzz Lightyear...can't think of any others right now) it doesnt work.

Don't get me wrong I love the new bride, but I think they could have done better with her face...it's too obvious that it's a projection. The same goes for the Buzz Lightyear AA in Space Ranger Spin.....the AA body looks great, but the face looks terrible.

Use the effect only if it effective AND believable...if it isn't.....find a better solution.

hpyhnt 1000

I really miss them developing monumental dark rides and attractions.

Everyhing now is very simple in terms of scope, it's there to entertain in a very simple manner.

There's no attractions that strive for deeper meaning or express it on a grand level. I don't know if they're merely unwilling or incapable, but I don't really expect to see anything like Horizons, American Adventure, or the original Imagination from WDI.

I almost feel like they don't understand the depth of those attractions. Like surface level is their forte.

Yes! I been trying to figure out what's been missing in the recent attractions Disney's put out, AND THAT'S IT!

I guess it goes back to the debate of, "Did Disney fail, or did we fail?". In the end, I guess we (society) failed. People want to be entertained. They want it to be instant, they want it to be personal and unique to themselves, and they don't want to have to think too hard. Apparently, that's what a majority of people who go to Disney want, so that's what Disney is putting in the parks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
i get fast passes for rides but what annoys me the most is why why why
can they not come up with a system to stop all the tickets going in the first 1 or 2 or 3 hours of the day. Can they not release only 1000 tickets maybe per hour and then you have a choice join the line or wait till the next hour to get in the fast pass line. My partner and me love to go to Disney but her holiday day does not start till 11.00 or 12.00 and sometimes we do not get into the park till 3.00pm and if i want to do a ride like soaring or tot or any of the big rides i have to wait till 6 or 7 pm to do it and just feel it would be more fair to fix the ticket ratio to the time of day. If you get in the park at 9.00 am and grab a fast pass when there is no line i feel you are being greedy anyway if you think i am wrong say so and offer a back up better idea, but i think if letting out a limited amount each hour people would still go on a ride only they would get in the normal Que. rather then getting there kids to run around s__________g up the tickets for the day or adults just to be politically correct.http://forums.wdwmagic.com/images/smilies/confused-smiley-013.gif
Perhaps your girlfriend should get up earlier while on vacation. :shrug:
I really miss them developing monumental dark rides and attractions.

Everyhing now is very simple in terms of scope, it's there to entertain in a very simple manner.

There's no attractions that strive for deeper meaning or express it on a grand level. I don't know if they're merely unwilling or incapable, but I don't really expect to see anything like Horizons, American Adventure, or the original Imagination from WDI.

I almost feel like they don't understand the depth of those attractions. Like surface level is their forte.

With Fast Pass becoming the status quo, I think that the immersive theming of attractions is becoming a lost art. Everyone seems to want big thrills with no wait. The waiting in line is where a lot of the theming and backstory happened.

Fast Pass has done away with that.

ChrisQ

With Fast Pass becoming the status quo, I think that the immersive theming of attractions is becoming a lost art. Everyone seems to want big trills with no wait. The waiting in line is where a lot of the theming and backstory happened.

Fast Pass has done away with that.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We live in the age of instant gratification, and to have to wait--even just a little while--is unacceptable to most people. I personally don't mind a little wait if the setup for the attraction adds to the anticipation and/or excitement.

tracyandalex

My two major pet peeves are the fastpasses and the ride themes.

My husband and I generally get to the parks around 10:30 and we still have trouble getting fast passes for the really popular attractions. It has bee na few years since we have been on the safari at AK because by the time we get there the fast passes are all gone or are for so late that they conflict with our dinner reservations. I agree that something has to be done about the fast passes for the most popular rides like the safari, everest, and soarin.

I agree with the others about the theming of the past rides being much more in-depth than the newer rides. I think people would appreciate it if there was more of it in the newer rides. Expedition Everest has excellent theming throughout the line and i have seen people that really enjoy it.

tracy

tigfan

Lowered standards for cast members

I'll probably get flamed for this (primarily because there are cast members, and friends of cast members, on this site) but I really think the attitudes of cast members are getting worse and worse every time I visit.

Any time someone complains about bad service or bad attitudes from cast members, it results in excuses like "the guests are disrespectful" or "the guests are stupid because they ask stupid questions" or "cast members don't get paid enough or don't get enough hours". Still, isn't the bottom line that the cast members agreed to do a job? I just find that more and more, cast members are taking these frustrations out on people like me, the paying guest. Having been in the service industry myself for a number of years, and having dealt with my fair share of difficult customers, I tend to go out of my way to not be a difficult guest. Yet I still find that more and more frequently I encounter rude and sarcastic cast members at the parks.
I don't mean to offend any of the legitimately great cast members who read these discussion boards (although I do think that many of the bad attitude cast members post here as well). In fact, I feel bad for the really great cast members who do a great job and work hard. I think it's the others who are giving cast members an increasingly bad reputation.

Yensid_Robert9

Original Poster
I'll probably get flamed for this (primarily because there are cast members, and friends of cast members, on this site) but I really think the attitudes of cast members are getting worse and worse every time I visit.

Any time someone complains about bad service or bad attitudes from cast members, it results in excuses like "the guests are disrespectful" or "the guests are stupid because they ask stupid questions" or "cast members don't get paid enough or don't get enough hours". Still, isn't the bottom line that the cast members agreed to do a job? I just find that more and more, cast members are taking these frustrations out on people like me, the paying guest. Having been in the service industry myself for a number of years, and having dealt with my fair share of difficult customers, I tend to go out of my way to not be a difficult guest. Yet I still find that more and more frequently I encounter rude and sarcastic cast members at the parks.
I don't mean to offend any of the legitimately great cast members who read these discussion boards (although I do think that many of the bad attitude cast members post here as well). In fact, I feel bad for the really great cast members who do a great job and work hard. I think it's the others who are giving cast members an increasingly bad reputation.

I think you bring up a good point though it's arguable (not really any good points) though still arguable. Having worked as a CM at Kali I will admit I've said a couple things to guests that even surprised me, and I wish I never said them but nothing to do about it now. On the other hand, Us "Expedition Guides" at Kali got asked the same question 90% of the time usually at least once every 10 minutes (I could be exaggerating) "Do you get wet on here?" And of course there are signs that say "you will get wet, you may get soaked" I myself would usually always reply sarcastically "nooo, not at all." And then throw on a huge smile 1 second later and explain the nature of the attraction if they are still listening. I think your point though has a lot to deal with some of the CP CM's who have unfortunately "Lost the magic" they want to be doin something else (who knows what) and a number of things hit them, homesick, extreme weather difference, paycheck, that sorta stuff. Again, not justifying it, just sharing my two cents.

tigfan

I think you bring up a good point though it's arguable (not really any good points) though still arguable. Having worked as a CM at Kali I will admit I've said a couple things to guests that even surprised me, and I wish I never said them but nothing to do about it now. On the other hand, Us "Expedition Guides" at Kali got asked the same question 90% of the time usually at least once every 10 minutes (I could be exaggerating) "Do you get wet on here?" And of course there are signs that say "you will get wet, you may get soaked" I myself would usually always reply sarcastically "nooo, not at all." And then throw on a huge smile 1 second later and explain the nature of the attraction if they are still listening. I think your point though has a lot to deal with some of the CP CM's who have unfortunately "Lost the magic" they want to be doin something else (who knows what) and a number of things hit them, homesick, extreme weather difference, paycheck, that sorta stuff. Again, not justifying it, just sharing my two cents.

Good points. I've been in customer service-related jobs for most of my career (including working for Disney for a time) and, I suppose I'm somebody who just tends to take my jobs seriously. Not to say I never have any complaints, but I guess I've always been of the mindset that you do the job that you signed on to do, and you do the very best job you can. That attitude has served me well in my career. I have no college degree and I'm now in a high-level management position that most people don't get unless they have a college degree. I personally attribute that to my work ethic and attitude that I've generally always displayed in my jobs. I realize CMs deal with a lot of difficult people. But it seems like most of the things that really get to them, and sometimes set them off, are things that I can't understand allowing myself to affect my job performance. For example, getting asked the same question again and again is just a reality of any service-related job. Perhaps things have changed, but when I worked for Disney, I remember them addressing this specific thing when we went through "Disney Traditions" training. It's really not that big of a deal. Likewise, countless CMs have posted on these boards how much it bugs them when guests get minute details wrong (like calling Magic Kingdom "Disney World" or asking where "Jurassic Park" is located). I don't understand why these things get to CMs so much. It seems like most true customer service professionals are even able to deal with the most difficult guest in the right manner. Does Disney no longer offer training in this area?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Disney CM's deal with more people in one day then many customer service jobs will see in a week or more. It sounds like an exaggeration, but it is true.

Mr Bill

My biggest issue as of late? The merchandise. You used to be able to find unique merchandise at different shops throughout the parks. Now every shop in the Magic Kingdom is just an Emporium-lite.

tigfan

Disney CM's deal with more people in one day then many customer service jobs will see in a week or more. It sounds like an exaggeration, but it is true.

All that really proves, though, is that a lot of Disney CMs probably just aren't cut out for a job that deals with that volume of guests. Disney's brand is built largely on their claim of providing top notch service to guests. That used to be something that Disney did an astonishing job of living up to. It just seems that as time goes on, that particular cornerstone of Disney's brand is really falling apart. Believe me when I say, I really do go out of my way to be the most reasonable, non-difficult guest. And yet, I seem to encounter an increasingly growing number of outright rude CMs with each subsequent visit.

Ironically, I am finding that the level of service I receive at Universal tends to be more and more reliable and outstanding than Disney in recent years. To me, that proves it's possible to still hire and train people who can display great service. Disney used to be the leader in this area, and they used to be the example and set the standard for other organizations to follow. It just doesn't seem that way anymore.

Unused spaces, American Idol, and everything Disney Channel.

So by my track, that being it...they're doing pretty good right now.
:sohappy:

I have to agree with your general annoyance towards the general feeling of the Disney Channel's overexposure. I grew up with the channel...and it annoyed me then...bad acting, ridiculous merchandising, etc. But when it hit WDW, the way it has post HSM and H'Montana, I feel the situation got out of hand.

AI...meh...not my thing...but I'm curious to see what it's like...

tjkref418

All that really proves, though, is that a lot of Disney CMs probably just aren't cut out for a job that deals with that volume of guests. Disney's brand is built largely on their claim of providing top notch service to guests. That used to be something that Disney did an astonishing job of living up to. It just seems that as time goes on, that particular cornerstone of Disney's brand is really falling apart. Believe me when I say, I really do go out of my way to be the most reasonable, non-difficult guest. And yet, I seem to encounter an increasingly growing number of outright rude CMs with each subsequent visit.

Ironically, I am finding that the level of service I receive at Universal tends to be more and more reliable and outstanding than Disney in recent years. To me, that proves it's possible to still hire and train people who can display great service. Disney used to be the leader in this area, and they used to be the example and set the standard for other organizations to follow. It just doesn't seem that way anymore.

What are some of the instances of rudeness you have encountered? You raise some interesting points, so I am curious as to specific problems you have personally had at Disney.

YQY747

I don't really have a huge problem with things inside the park, but the price increases for the tickets are what grind my gears. For the last 6 years i've been going they seem to get higher every year, and I realise that they probably have to pay more for electricity and such, so I understand the increases, but don't like them.

InfernalPenguin

Merchandise.

I hear everybody making fun of the fact that disney sort of grabs onto your wallet like that little monster thing from Flight of the Navigator ('member him? The one that eats the hat?).

But seriously, there's not ENOUGH for me. Lemme specify: there's not enough park related merchandise.

Lots of PotC stuff (mostly for the movie). Lots of High School Musical stuff. Not so much ride related stuff, save for pins.

Oh, and bring back the villains store at Studios in it's full glory! It's like half-pirates/half-Nightmare Before Christmas stuff now. That's all fine, sure, but c'mon... half that stuff is at Hot Topic and the goth kids that buy it probably came to the PARK with it on in the first place.

Speaking of which, last time I rode it Haunted Mansion did NOT feature a Jack Skellington scene... so why is that stuff pretty much what they sell at the Leota cart outside? Meanwhile the cool spotlight t-shirt is out of stock!

Blackie Pueblo

Wow... it's hard to say what it is that really bothers me. So off the top of my head I can't stand the hollywoodizing of the rides. I know a lot of you love it but I really think it takes away from the rides. For example, I loved the POTC movie but when they added Captain Jack and Davy Jones and Barbosa to the ride I honestly think it took something away from the ride. The animatronic is amazing but it doesn't seem to add anything to the ride at all to me. It seems the idea is let's just throw something from the movie in it and its now updated.

Another example is the Tiki Room. I'm sorry I love classic Disney but I understand why they felt it needed to be updated. But throwing in Iago and Zazu again did nothing to help this attraction. If anything all it did was dumb it down.

Oh boy you've got me thinking now...

Also I too like so many of you hate the waste of buildings and attractions. Another example is Tom Sawyer Island. I think this has so much potential and it just sits there. There is so much you can do. Heck, you could turn Aunt Polly's into a great restaurant that overlooks the water and is separated from most of the crowds. Like you're really away on an island.

Two quick other things are I hate that Hollywood Studios doesn't focus on "Hollywood Studios" as much as it should. The backlot tour should be ashamed. It should be like a museum not a junk yard.

Lastly... and I'm going to get flayed alive for this... but it's DISNEY WORLD PEOPLE! It's isn't some two bit park. It has people come from around THE WORLD! It gets old hearing about people complain about the lines. It's always going to be crowded and the Castmembers have to deal with a lot more people than just YOU. Deal with it. It's not just YOUR PARK. Sorry...

"To all who come to this happy place...welcome!"
---Walter Elias Disney

mickhyperion

My biggest problem is seeing so much of the same merchandise in every store in every park and resort in all of WDW. After you've seen an item once or twice and haven't bought it, seeing it 100 more times everywhere you turn for the next week is not going to make a person want it more. There is not enough unique, themed merchandise specific to lands, attractions, parks or resorts.

DizneyPryncess

I think I mostly get annoyed with people who seem to be demanding magic. Being in Disney World is magic enough, or at least it used to be. I see more complaining now from people who didn't win anything from YOAMD, and now hate the promotion because of it. It was supposed to be a rare thing to win anything, and not everyone could win.

It's like people go into Disney and act like the world owes them something. It has created some serious bitterness that I don't remember seeing/hearing from years before.

Also, I'm not from Florida, and I have to plan out my ADR's too - but I still hate the dining plan. It's made it impossible to get reservations to anything unless you're up at 6:58 AM, hitting redial, competing w/people who already know which digits to press to get in fastest. Before the dining plans were around, it was a lot easier to make reservations for everyone, and not just the experts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom