OK, I'll Admit it...Disney Prices Are Out Of Control

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Man, what did Georgia and/or Sea Island do to hurt you so badly?
I was definitely too harsh in trying to make my point about top destinations versus just another place.

I’m sure Georgia has some nice places and that resort is beautiful. I was too hard on it.

I do stand by my analysis of it not being on the same level as Disney in terms of top destinations.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was definitely too harsh in trying to make my point about top destinations versus just another place.

I’m sure Georgia has some nice places and that resort is beautiful. I was too hard on it.

I do stand by my analysis of it not being on the same level as Disney in terms of top destinations.
Here's my favorite part of Georgia...

jpeden

In the Parks
No
My quick analysis was based on visitors, which I think is tangible. I believe Magic Kingdom is visited by something like 22M people per year, so they can really increase prices. My concession about the resort in Georgia is I actually haven’t been, so it could be quite nice. However, I stand by my point of Georgia not being a top destination in the world and not even close to a top beach. I was too harsh in my delivery and overall opinion on Georgia. Let’s be real though...it’s Georgia. Florida would also be nothing special without Disney, although the beaches are still better than Georgia.

Unfortunately, this thread pointed out the drop in service and product quality during my last trip.

I think your comment about what families dream of is purely conjecture. The prices Disney charges are based on demand, like it or not. They are having no trouble filling the parks. I watch the financials closely and Parks and Resorts revenue just won’t stop growing.

Greed is a very relative topic and hard to define. Disney parks have a ~22% operating margin (before taxes) and it’s certainly not an easy or cheap business. Microsoft and Visa have much higher margins. Are they greedier? Very hard to define.

Finally, Disney is owned by the shareholders who want a return. You just have to remember Disney wouldn’t exist outside of a capitalist world. Business exists to make money, but we love consuming. Not sure how you fix businesses charging what they can get.

This is a fair and valid point.

...I love it when southerners “throw stones”. 😂

Do “ya’ll” have different chants for the rallies too?

Not sure what this is supposed to mean regarding rallies...

Disney.Mike

This is a fair and valid point.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean regarding rallies...

Pretty sure it's a thinly veiled jab at southerners because our states went to Trump. That means we are all ignorant, sexist, racist who hate women and black people and just aren't enlightened enough to vote for the proper candidate

flynnibus

Premium Member
Location is like 80% of the story when traveling. It’s the whole reason you travel...for a desirable destination and/or activity.

Like I said, Disney is a top destination...Georgia isn’t. Georgia might have some nice places, but again, Disney is a different level of desirability. Maybe not for you, but prices are based on market demand. Comparing it to a random place you like in an undesirable place and remarking how that’s cheaper isn’t really a fair comparison.

The irony is you label location as 80% over activities... yet Orlando is a crappy place to be verse alternatives. The only reason you pay more for GF is because of the “activities” of the theme park. Maybe recognize the “activities” you just blanket dismissed are more than you make of them for other people... and realize you are more skewed to theme parks than you realize. Aren’t you the one who complained about things to do in Hawaii?

I think you need to step back and recognize you are putting theme parks above anything else

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
It does...just not the beaches.
Yeah...I was even conceding the beaches might be nice, just for benefit of the doubt. I was just making the point Georgia isn’t what anyone thinks of first when planning a getaway, particularly the beach in Georgia.

These guys are defending the state they live in, which I understand, but let’s be real here. I was overly critical of the resort, but I stand by what I said in general. You can’t compare a resort in Georgia to Disney.

Disney.Mike

I’ve found that for the last 20 years “capitalism” means almost nothing...it’s used as an excuse/misdirection when any complex economic or social policy is questioned...when in reality it’s just a theory.

I'm not sure how it's used as an excuse or misdirection. At it's base it is the natural order of things once you install enough government to protect people's rights and evolve out of serfdom and slavery.

Two parties exchanging goods or services for an agreed upon payment

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There is nothing close to a consistent five diamond rating operating under the Disney umbrella. To discount that fact and promote the vacation factory is said in the vacuum of fandom.
Pretty sure it's a thinly veiled jab at southerners because our states went to Trump. That means we are all ignorant, sexist, racist who hate women and black people and just aren't enlightened enough to vote for the proper candidate
Where’d you come up with all that?
The irony is you label location as 80% over activities... yet Orlando is a crappy place to be verse alternatives. The only reason you pay more for GF is because of the “activities” of the theme park. Maybe recognize the “activities” you just blanket dismissed are more than you make of them for other people... and realize you are more skewed to theme parks than you realize. Aren’t you the one who complained about things to do in Hawaii?

I think you need to step back and recognize you are putting theme parks above anything else
I think you just hit the bullseye on the Death Star

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure how it's used as an excuse or misdirection. At it's base it is the natural order of things once you install enough government to protect people's rights and evolve out of serfdom and slavery.

Two parties exchanging goods or services for an agreed upon payment

Capitalism is not a system of government - as it is often contorting into being. Just as “communism” isn’t either...they’re 18th/19th century economic theories that have never existed in anywhere near a pure form.

Capitalistic systems have succeeded on many levels...but questioning their application has and always been a good step on the path to wisdom. Because in US history, those choices and modifications where made to achieve the greatest overall economic prosperity...which was the last century.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Georgia has lovingly restored old fashioned paddlewheel steamboats. That you can fine dine on!

WDW should consider building one of those!

3978549.jpg
😍😍
Disney has no fine dining.

I was watching people talking about spending $750-$1000 on V&A’s

Now I’m a huge fan...and I’ve spent 4-500 there (years ago)...but that’s just it: the same thing with the same or slightly lesser quality would now cost $800. And there in lies the problem with comparing Disney with anything...nothing changes except for the worse. They haven’t tried to INCREASE quality in decades

Disney.Mike

Where’d you come up with all that?

Snide remarks about southerners intellectual conversation. Rallies, chants.... Please enlighten me about what you were really referring to then.

As soon as you stated real communism hasn't been tried you post all credibility on political knowledge. A couple hundred million murdered in the name of that ideology beg to differ

The Empress Lilly

Disney has no fine dining.

I was watching people talking about spending $750-$1000 on V&A’s

Now I’m a huge fan...and I’ve spent 4-500 there (years ago)...but that’s just it: the same thing with the same or slightly lesser quality would now cost $800. And there in lies the problem with comparing Disney with anything...nothing changes except for the worse. They haven’t tried to INCREASE quality in decades
I won't spend $800 on one meal. For that money I fly to Rome, book a super hotel for a long weekend, and eat a perfectly delicious authentic Italian meal every day.

Plus, as you say, my last few meals at WDW have been a bit hit-and-miss. We were served a shoe sole for a steak at our $180 Jiko dinner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom