Ok, I REALLY do hate Soarin' (No I really do)

Jerm

Original Poster
I saw this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=166881 which really turned out to be a Fastpass hate thread, so I decided to start the thread about my dislike, yes i will even say it HATE of Soarin'...so here goes.

I really do HATE Soarin'! This attraction has a good concept and the first few times I went on the attraction it was ok at best. But when it comes down to it it is a film based attraction and not even that good of one. The film has no fades, no transitions between scenes, and no real overall theme (you are not hang gliding) other then a tour of California. All film attractions have a shelf life of X amount of years before something needs to happen with it, think of all Circle-Vision/simulators/old E.P.C.O.T. Center attractions (any of which I would wait for over Soarin'). Plus adding in the fact you smell things, that they have been doing since Horizons in 1983, people seem to love it.

I have been on it both in DCA and Epcot and while it (kinda) in DCA it sticks out like a Stitch in Tomorrowland in Epcot. They shoe horned it into where ever they could because it went over so well in DCA and they wanted to hop on the bandwagon. Yes I am sure someone could put up some type of argument as to how it fits, but it really doesn't. The queue no matter if fastpass is running or not does not move fast. And last be not least if you are not in the center section front row you do not have a good seat, you are either looking at peoples feet or at the side of the screen.

Sorin' is not a ground breaking attraction by any means. Other then the way you are lifted into the air, and of course much less themeing, it is just Back To The Future upside down with out as much motion. I can understand the first time rider being amazed at it (much like people were with Star Tours or Circle- Vision back in the 50's) but I do not see the draw in riding it more then 2 or 3 times and I would never wait more then 15 maybe 30 (with a first time rider) for it. I know I, as with most of you, are not normal Disney/theme park fans but still I will say it I hate Sorin'!

Let the attack commence,
J

CThaddeus

I don't hate it, but I do agree with you on all of your points. It's my wife's favorite attraction and so we always have to do it at California Adventure when she's with me, but I personally don't think that much of it and rarely bother with it when I go alone (which is pretty much weekly). It's fine for what it is, but it really is little more than a plotless IMAX movie...and a short one at that.
It's not a horrible attraction, though. I love the soundtrack, and Patrick Warburton is, as always, great. I know the technology is pretty impressive, but without a story, the re-ridability is lost for me. What irks me most is that, as stated, it doesn't belong where it is. It should have and could have been its own pavilion inbetween Imagination and the Land (then you'd have land, sea, and air themes all in a row), and Food Rocks could have been left alone or updated. To make Food Rocks a queue for something that could have been a stand alone pavilion bugs me to no end (I know, get over it).
I realize they wanted to boost attendance in The Land, but now it just looks like a huge mob of people around that area, causing me to do a 180 and head for Circle of Life or Living with the Land (both of which are worlds more entertaining to me).
Soarin' strikes me the same way as another current "hit" at Disney World - Mickey's Philharmagic. Once or twice is fine, but without a decent plot, the technology isn't enough to get me to want to go to it again. I still will, because that's the kind of Disney Dork I am, but my interest level won't be as high as it would for something like Muppetvision or Circle of Life.

k.hunter30

I have to say, I see where you're coming from. I haven't ridden Soarin' since it came to WDW (haven't been to the World since '05) but I did ride it in California. I REALLY liked it - I did. But to now read that it has the longest wait in Epcot?! That is VERY surprising. It's good - but come on... it's not THAT good...

mitchk

I like Sorain', but I do agree with a lot of your statements. One, I don't like the middle row (I have also noticed that all you have to do is look slightly to your right to see the side of the screen), and I also don't like the films transitions. It just quickly cuts from scene to scene (that was something I noticed when I watched a video of it from CA before it was built in EPCOT) I do enjoy the ride, but I would not wait more than 20 minutes to ride it. BTW, I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing Sorain', I just think it would be a much better attraction if they just did something with the scene transitions. It's still a great addition to EPCOT though.

1DisneyDad

Why I realized it was a good addition. One ride that everyone in my party could ride. Young and old like it. Probaly why the wait time.

k.hunter30

Has anyone seen the Planet Earth series that's been on the Discovery Channel? I'd take watching a 60 min episode of that on my big screen over waiting and "riding" soarin' any day...:shrug:

(Ooo! I could light beach scented candle for the ocean episode, turn up the heat in my house for the desert episode...:eek: I can see the line forming outside my door as we speak!):lookaroun

erasure fan1

I can say I dont hate soarin' but can see why someone might. I really like the ride but as with most new attractions its the length of the ride thats the problem. The film is way to short and I can see how someone could wait over an hour and say "all that waiting for that". I would also like to see a new film.

jmvd20

Originally Posted by Jerm

I saw this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=166881 which really turned out to be a Fastpass hate thread, so I decided to start the thread about my dislike, yes i will even say it HATE of Soarin'...so here goes.

I really do HATE Soarin'! This attraction has a good concept and the first few times I went on the attraction it was ok at best. But when it comes down to it it is a film based attraction and not even that good of one. The film has no fades, no transitions between scenes, and no real overall theme (you are not hang gliding) other then a tour of California. All film attractions have a shelf life of X amount of years before something needs to happen with it, think of all Circle-Vision/simulators/old E.P.C.O.T. Center attractions (any of which I would wait for over Soarin'). Plus adding in the fact you smell things, that they have been doing since Horizons in 1983, people seem to love it.

I have been on it both in DCA and Epcot and while it (kinda) in DCA it sticks out like a Stitch in Tomorrowland in Epcot. They shoe horned it into where ever they could because it went over so well in DCA and they wanted to hop on the bandwagon. Yes I am sure someone could put up some type of argument as to how it fits, but it really doesn't. The queue no matter if fastpass is running or not does not move fast. And last be not least if you are not in the center section front row you do not have a good seat, you are either looking at peoples feet or at the side of the screen.

Sorin' is not a ground breaking attraction by any means. Other then the way you are lifted into the air, and of course much less themeing, it is just Back To The Future upside down with out as much motion. I can understand the first time rider being amazed at it (much like people were with Star Tours or Circle- Vision back in the 50's) but I do not see the draw in riding it more then 2 or 3 times and I would never wait more then 15 maybe 30 (with a first time rider) for it. I know I, as with most of you, are not normal Disney/theme park fans but still I will say it I hate Sorin'!

Let the attack commence,
J

I like Soarin - Liked it the first time I rode it and the 5 or 6 times since. One of the top 5 attractions at WDW.

I completely disagree that there is nothing new or neat about the ride system other than the way it goes up. I disagree about the film - I like it. I think it's neat that I still duck out of the way of that golf ball - I stll can't figure out how it's never hit someone.... :shrug:

No one should attack you based on your thoughts - it's all a matter of opinion. You and I disagree on this but neither of us is right or wrong.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't "hate" Soarin', but I find it to be vastly overrated, and agree with almost all of your points.

I can remember the first time I went on it. After it ended, I turned to my friend and said, "That's it? That was what all the hoopla was about?"

I saw this thread

The queue no matter if fastpass is running or not does not move fast.

Unfortunately just a result of a HUGE number of people wanting to see it and a limited number of seats available :shrug:

Understand what you say to some extent, but remember Disney isn't just for nuts like us who repeatedly go :wave:

the-reason14

I feel you guys on most of what you are saying. Ive heard from several people as we exit on certian trips, "Oh that was great," or "Wow it really felt like we were flying." And on others I heard, "Its really worth the wait, not, man Mission: Space was better than this one." I mean, I guess it all really depends. I know that when we had gone in 05 in the summer(Thankfully me and my dad were able to go the same year in the spring and preview it and alot of the other HCOE additions before this event) My mom, brother, aunt and about 6 of my cousins were there, and so they all obviously wanted to do what Stacey would say was the #1 must see at WDW. So between having all of those fastpasses and a few rider switch passes, we were literally in the land for about 6 or 7 hrs. Some of us would ride while some ate, and others were on the boat, and inbetween that I rode Soarin more times than I wanted to and got bored of it. So its not really a ride I would want to ride over and over like Everest or Space mountain, because you dont actually move.

But with all that said, it is a great ride IMO, but its not one that I would want to do over 4 times a day.

figment1985

What is with all this hating and flaming lately???? :shrug: :fork:

It's your opinion though, I understand. I like it though, I find myself at peace during that ride...it's just right for some of us.

Jerm

Original Poster
No one should attack you based on your thoughts - it's all a matter of opinion. You and I disagree on this but neither of us is right or wrong.

No you are wrong and I am right:p

No I agree with what most have said and would never say anyone is wrong...well except Jmvd20 j/k. But I wanted to post this and see if people understand and agree why this attraction is not anything huge to me.

J

crazydaveh

I see where you're coming from in not liking it. It is a simple concept but if you think of the long range possibilities, it's a pretty good investment. They can change movies every few years so it's different every time long distant people make a trip.

It does get great exit ratings, I believe SOARIN' receives the highest ratings of all the WDW attractions.

So just bypass it next time... That means the standby line will only be 85 minutes and not 90! :)

LoriMistress

I've been to the one at DCA numerous times. Personally, I think the ride/attraction itself is over-rated. I expected it to be a lot more, and when I finally rode on it, I thought it was okay...but if I had to wait more then twenty minutes to ride this...man, would I be ed off.

Cmdr_Crimson

I was somewhat dissapointed at the fact that not only they use DCA's and yet not make a new one for EPCOT. But the one thing that this attraction lacked..TRANSITIONS!!! For gosh sakes we have a beautiful view of the golden gate bridge and then JUMP CUT to a river then JUMP CUT to the orange field then say it with me JUMP CUT...They could have done much better on flying through clouds to the next scene.

donaldfan

I don't hate, Soarin', but think it's over-rated. I still haven't figured out how an airport fits into the Land either? If the wait is over 15 minutes I bypass it.

Now, if they do Soarin' Over the World, that I think will be more interesting. Impressions de France meets Soarin'? That would be awesome!

I've had a few friends come back from the world and tell me that its their favorite ride. I ask if its the only thing they rode. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom