ok, all you Punxsutaweny Phils of Disney world, what's your prediction for the future of WDW?

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So let's say in 5 years....

If the world is out pricing the middle class will the parks be empty?
Will they sell off the parks?
Will they be just like a state carnival or you local mall (which seems to be a popular criticism. i've never been to a state fair so this one intrigues me)?
Is there a possibility that they shut down totally?
Will they go on just as they are?

lol, I meant to attach a poll to make it a bit easier but hit post instead.

Walt Disney1955

Is Nintendo land going to be an actual park, a 3rd gate? Last I checked it was just supposed to be a land at Universal. Where do they have the space to put a 3rd gate? They had to scrap Wet N' Wild just to put in Volcano Bay.

Walt Disney1955

Put it this way, Disney is going to have elite parks around for a while. It still IS the standard. We heard this a decade ago when Harry Potter was coming in that it will soon enough take over Disney in numbers. There are still half the people that go to Universal (either park) in Orlando than Magic Kingdom. You just can't beat the rides at Magic Kingdom or the experience. The other three parks are what is close to Universal, but I just don't see the day coming anytime soon where it is going to topple Disney entirely. Too much history there and Universal has a bad habit of ripping out their core when they build a new project. MK still has a ton of original attractions (or close to opening day ones) while Universal has, what, E.T? This is a big difference maker in my mind.

LUVofDIS

I feel a recession is on the horizon, I hope there isn't one, but if you follow the markers it seems one is coming. At that time I think Disney will have to re-balance their prices on all things related to parks. Of course this will go for all amusement properties not Disney. I don't feel it will be the same scope of the 2007 recession, but, it wont just be a slow down.

This re-balance may come in the form of just deep discounts and than brought back to full scale afterwards or actual cost cutting.

I don't see Disney going belly up in the near term or even in the next decade. Even today children are growing up with Disney in their face (movies, shows, etc) and they will be the customers of the future. Todays surge I think is because of all the big movies we all grew up with in the 90's and 00's. We are all now all grownd upped now (yes that was on purpose), and spending our money to relive or past memories, experience and be part of the movies we loved and to share all that with our children. Well that is many of you are sharing with your children, I don have any.

There is less attachment to other parks, other than HP at Universal, which will play a big part in it's future.

JIMINYCR

Disney will continue to survive no matter how many people object to price changes or how many decide to hold back their trips... because there are just as many people who will go that replaces them. As long as the numbers hold they will go on. When there a recession or some other calamity that turns people back to taking trips around their home areas instead of travelling to WDW, then Disney will alter diraction and do other promotions and discounts to bring the numbers back. Disney is popular enough and continues to bring in new adventures and attractions to entice people to go. People will continue to save, budget, borrow, spend on credit, do what they have to to make the trip a possibility. They will not reach a point where selling off parks will come into play. They will never shut down. Before that happens many other sites will fall first. Disneys future has much more in store to stay alive for as long as I'm around.

Chef Mickey

Disney will be making record profits.

Even in an economic downturn, they’ll still make billions and profits return to records after a couple years.

There is almost nothing that can stop Disney. They own 40% of all media and even more of the good content. The brand is too powerful to take down. It will take decades even if they have terrible management.

Chef Mickey

I love how people keep referring to Tokyo Disney...

Do you know how much it costs to fly to Japan?! We act like it’s a quick jaunt overseas. It’s insane.
I paid $4400 for 2 economy flights to Tokyo and $300 for an amazing dinner. My hotel was ~$500/night with a $50 nightly resort fee on top.

I LOVE Japan, but it ain’t cheap.

I also had jet lag for 2 weeks when we got back, lol. Disney tickets were cheaper though...but nothing else was and the trip cost 2X what a WDW trip costs for us.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I feel a recession is on the horizon, I hope there isn't one, but if you follow the markers it seems one is coming. At that time I think Disney will have to re-balance their prices on all things related to parks. Of course this will go for all amusement properties not Disney. I don't feel it will be the same scope of the 2007 recession, but, it wont just be a slow down.

This re-balance may come in the form of just deep discounts and than brought back to full scale afterwards or actual cost cutting.

I don't see Disney going belly up in the near term or even in the next decade. Even today children are growing up with Disney in their face (movies, shows, etc) and they will be the customers of the future. Todays surge I think is because of all the big movies we all grew up with in the 90's and 00's. We are all now all grownd upped now (yes that was on purpose), and spending our money to relive or past memories, experience and be part of the movies we loved and to share all that with our children. Well that is many of you are sharing with your children, I don have any.

There is less attachment to other parks, other than HP at Universal, which will play a big part in it's future.
Disney will not lower rack rate. They will offer steep discounts to get people in. You will see discounts on packages and dining. You wont see standard prices go down unless there is a long, bad, catastrophic recession/depression.

Chef Mickey

Do you know how much it costs to fly to Japan?! We act like it’s a quick jaunt overseas. It’s insane.
I paid $4400 for 2 economy flights to Tokyo and $300 for an amazing dinner. My hotel was ~$500/night with a $50 nightly resort fee on top.

I LOVE Japan, but it ain’t cheap.

What about today’s market makes you think they’ll be a recession? I mean, just saying it will eventually happen isn’t really that insightful. They always happen, but you can’t ignore the strength of the economy and reasonable valuations.

Stocks are ridiculously cheap if interest rates stay this low. I don’t think anyone knows what will happen. We’ve never had interest rates this low for so long with almost no inflation. It seems there has to be a cost eventually, granted, but you can’t predict when and how severe with any precision. You just have to invest and buy more when it’s down. The economy is strong based on most measures. Valuations, employment, GDP growth, low inflation, and strong manufacturing data.

Smiley/OCD

For every 1 million regular, returning guests that would theoretically stop returning to the parks because of price, there will be MILLIONS of first time guests. Since they will be first timers, they will naturally spend more on souvenirs, food, etc. so WDW won't miss us for one, split second.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

There is only one who constantly brings up Tokyo Disneyland. It's very different not because of just the Oriental Land Company, but because of the majority of its guests and thier culture. They take care of themselves and thier surroundings.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, but there are flash sales that keep occurring and low travel seasons when it's not nearly that much. For example in October that flight goes down to the $650 range round trip. January is even better I've found.

I certainly couldn't afford going to Tokyo so much if I had to pay $2000 each time.

Last edited:

LUVofDIS

The economy is strong based on most measures. Valuations, employment, GDP growth, low inflation, and strong manufacturing data.

I don't feel the economy is that strong, manufacturing has been declining, unemployment is low but that doesn't account for the actual low numbers of employed, many have never returned to the work force since the last recession. Wages for the middle and lower class has not kept up even with the low inflation. There are other indicators but this isn't the place. Besides, this is just my opinion.

The thing that I am putting a lot of value in is that I live in Michigan and every time the automakers start laying off and than their suppliers I have noticed a recession or softening. This has started around Michigan.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
1) Everything will be done via MDE. Everybody will have a MB and you'll load money onto your MDE account via credit card, debit card, gift card. Disney will become cashless.

2) There will be MB scanners everywhere. And you'll have to use the band for everything: They'll know how many drinks you've had (and maybe even have an algorithm that will notify someone not to serve you), how much you've spent and where, and if you use Disney transportation and are not staying on property or are an AP, you'll be denied boarding (unless you purchase a "transportation pass").

3) We'll be talking about a fifth gate a decade from now. (Not because it is going to happen - but because we like talking about it).

4) Yeti won't be fixed.

5) A hamburger combo at a QS will be $30

6) A 12oz beer at EPCOT will be $23.28

7) The parking and resort fee will be 75% of the nightly room rate

8) The last scene of CoP will always be 20 years behind the times.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom