News Ohana reopening July 9th

Weather_Lady

No clue what shrimp casserole is. Doesnt sound appetizing at all. Googled it and it doesn't seem to fit the resort motif either. Strange choice.
It's just a way to use an exponentially smaller amount of expensive seafood per guest. It will give rise to a fun table game where diners poke around with their forks to try and be the first to locate the actual shrimp in the casserole, sort of like finding the baby in a King Cake at Mardi Gras.

We're not eating there, but if we were, I'd be requesting endless additional shrimp casseroles -- and only eating the shrimp out of each one. (This is why my family "can't take me anywhere.") ;)

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

GimpYancIent

The only thing I see is the range listed on the website - $15-$34.99 per adult for breakfast and $35 - $59.99 per adult for dinner. I don't know if those have been updated to reflect the changes, particularly the lack of character dining for breakfast. I don't recall what the price was before.

Regardless of the posted prices the entire ambiance, appeal of the food and quality of the experience is fast deteriorating. Guests would go to Poly because of Ohana I do not see that being the case anymore.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I didn't realize there were so many people hating on Ohana in general. I am surprised.

The place DEFINITELY is expensive, but man o' man the whole of WDW is!

Pointing out Ohana is overpriced or not worth it, is like stopping in some random shop on Rodeo Drive and saying "I think they're overcharging for that (insert item here)!!!" ;)

I know, it's perceived value!! So to each their own.
With that being said, I am not too pleased with the noodle situation, but I am thinking they're definitely gonna get my money next time around. 😂

The Mouse always gets me. But he's been keeping a smile on me and my family's faces so I can't complain too much.

Last edited:

Bocabear

So... less for more money....as expected.
Shrimp casserole indeed.
And seriously we all know it is expensive...it is a given...but to raise prices while continuing to cheapen the quality and choices is more of a slap in the face.
I have been going to O'hana since it's opening...always made it a point to go every year....and it's not that the shrimp are that big a deal...or the fried rice instead of the noodles... it's both of those things combined with a price increase that feels like a slap in that face...
It is insulting... and sad that people will still go in throngs and next year it will be "All the hamburger patties, white bread, and bologna you care to eat"...
accompanied by another price increase....

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

So... less for more money....as expected.
Shrimp casserole indeed.
And seriously we all know it is expensive...it is a given...but to raise prices while continuing to cheapen the quality and choices is more of a slap in the face.
I have been going to O'hana since it's opening...always made it a point to go every year....and it's not that the shrimp are that big a deal...or the fried rice instead of the noodles... it's both of those things combined with a price increase that feels like a slap in that face...
It is insulting... and sad that people will still go in throngs and next year it will be "All the hamburger patties, white bread, and bologna you care to eat"...
accompanied by another price increase....

They've kind of messed with the menu quite a bit before. I remember going in the early aughts when they offered 4-5 cuts of meat and other options. At one point they also had a whole second skillet with fish, sticky rice and some other sides to go with the meats.

Mark48

It would not at all shock me if this is an interim menu and 'Ohana is 100% on its way out as Moana moves in. Especially as they choose to go far away from Lilo and Stitch as Stitch has been put though the ringer and the fact that Hawaii isn't really all that popular within their IP anymore.

It does in a way make sense to abandoned an Hawaiian theme and embrace more of the Polynesian triangle, but this interim menu does seem as the way to cut costs down...

Now how long until Moana meets those at dinner is the real question...
If a meet and great with Moana becomes a reality , It may throw a wrench into my plans to avoid Ohana due to the menu changes. I have a serious weakness for Polynesian woman.

Bocabear

They've kind of messed with the menu quite a bit before. I remember going in the early aughts when they offered 4-5 cuts of meat and other options. At one point they also had a whole second skillet with fish, sticky rice and some other sides to go with the meats.
I remember that too... In it's original iteration, it was really great... then the changes began and It has continued to be less special over the years... I think this was the last straw for me...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
anyone know if the plans are to eventually bring back the buffets and bring back the previous menus here and other places?

i get the feeling Disney is in the never let a good pandemic go to waste when they can cheapen things and charge more now as things return

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
anyone know if the plans are to eventually bring back the buffets and bring back the previous menus here and other places?

i get the feeling Disney is in the never let a good pandemic go to waste when they can cheapen things and charge more now as things return
Aren’t buffets cheaper to operate than a traditional table service operation?

Rbenz81

When these menu changes were announced I felt that alot of them would be temporary to get through COVID and then revert back to the menu's pre Covid. But the more that time goes on and more restaurants re-open with more menu changes I'm beginnig to think that these changes are going to become permanent.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
When these menu changes were announced I felt that alot of them would be temporary to get through COVID and then revert back to the menu's pre Covid. But the more that time goes on and more restaurants re-open with more menu changes I'm beginnig to think that these changes are going to become permanent.
That’s what I’m afraid of. Less for more

TrojanUSC

Aren’t buffets cheaper to operate than a traditional table service operation?

Sometimes, but in Disney's case it they haven't gone to a traditional table service operation. They've gone to a family style thing.

At a buffet you had a server to bring you drinks and could help yourself to as much as you wanted of 20-30 items. Now the same server who brought you drinks is doing double duty by bringing you a skillet of 5-7 items. Not only are they cutting down on food prep by making it a set menu (eg banquet food), they are making it less likely people will be wasting food as they have to wait for the server to return, can't pile as much as they want onto their plate, etc.

Look at Cape May, previously you could pile 40 peel-and-eat shrimp onto your plate. Now the server will bring you 10 and then you have to wait for more. The crab legs were all you can eat before, now they are $29/lb.

disneyfreak0710

‘Ohana at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort (Opening July 9; bookings available June 10)

"With the backdrop of tropical greenery, ‘Ohana will again offer their fabulous all-you-care-to-enjoy breakfast and dinner offerings when they reopen. Although Disney characters will not be hosting breakfast, a strolling musician will entertain guests for dinner.

For breakfast, start with pineapple-coconut breakfast bread, move on to Stitch and Mickey Mouse waffles, then dig into “eggs”cellent breakfast skillets with ham, sausage, and breakfast potatoes.

The ‘Ohana dinner features all-you-care-to-enjoy platters of grilled beef steak, roasted chicken, sausage, and island shrimp casserole served with fried rice and roasted broccolini. And yes, ‘Ohana pot stickers, crispy soy chicken wings, and the signature ‘Ohana bread pudding served warm with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream are back! Yippee!"

I'm curious why they wouldn't bring the characters back? Staffing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom