Ohana or Luau

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Which is better at the Polynesian Resort...

Ohana or the Polynesian Luau?

I am on the DDP.. Ohana would be 1 table service credit vs the Luau would be 2?

Traveler

You will have to check the schedule for when you are visiting.
It really depends on the time of year, time of park closing.
They pipe the sound in, so you get the full effect. Makes for a nice evening.

nolamom

Admittedly I've never tried the luau (but friends did and weren't impressed). but Ohana is awesome. Food is bottomless and excellent, different fare than at other Disney restaurants. Atmosphere is excellent as well. And they have entertainment for kids as well (albeit kinda lame). :)

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Admittedly I've never tried the luau (but friends did and weren't impressed). but Ohana is awesome. Food is bottomless and excellent, different fare than at other Disney restaurants. Atmosphere is excellent as well. And they have entertainment for kids as well (albeit kinda lame). :)

What is the atmosphere for adults?

I haven't been to the luau but I haven't heard great things about it.. As for the atmosphere, it's very nice.. It's fun watching the kids go about their parade and coconut races, but it doesn't feel like an exclusively children's restaurant.. And definately try and get your ressies near wishes.. It's fantastic.. Maybe you can go for a walk on the beach after dinner..

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I have been to the Luau.. it is somewhat cheesy. Can someone explain O'Hana to me, is it a show? Or is it just food? Also, I see there are a lot of meat items to pick from, how is the meat cooked? I like my meat BURNT not rare. What time is good for wishes?

disneydiva72

I have been to the Luau.. it is somewhat cheesy. Can someone explain O'Hana to me, is it a show? Or is it just food? Also, I see there are a lot of meat items to pick from, how is the meat cooked? I like my meat BURNT not rare. What time is good for wishes?

All the meat is well done, my husband is the same way...he likes the meat very well done and he was in heaven.

Its a little show while you eat, unlike the Luau where its so called "all you can eat" but you better have your fill before the show starts or you are a$$ out because they will nto bring you any more food. I could care less I thought the food stunk anyway.

They have a Hawaiian singer and she will play games with the kids and she walks around and sings, while you eat, I found her voice pleasant, some do not like it, but to me it felt very Don Ho and authentic, she is very good at reading weather or not a kid wants to be involved and not push them so they are uncomfortable, my son is a bit shy like that so when she would come around she would just wink at him or slip a lei around his neck without making a big fuss, just so he felt like he was "part of it" but not part of it if that makes sense. :) I enjoyed it...we weren't much into the games so it was easy to ignore her when we wanted to just talk or just watch in amusement....but the food was so damned good I could care less if she was naked and doing a fire dance. :lol:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
All the meat is well done, my husband is the same way...he likes the meat very well done and he was in heaven.

Its a little show while you eat, unlike the Luau where its so called "all you can eat" but you better have your fill before the show starts or you are a$$ out because they will nto bring you any more food. I could care less I thought the food stunk anyway.

They have a Hawaiian singer and she will play games with the kids and she walks around and sings, while you eat, I found her voice pleasant, some do not like it, but to me it felt very Don Ho and authentic, she is very good at reading weather or not a kid wants to be involved and not push them so they are uncomfortable, my son is a bit shy like that so when she would come around she would just wink at him or slip a lei around his neck without making a big fuss, just so he felt like he was "part of it" but not part of it if that makes sense. :) I enjoyed it...we weren't much into the games so it was easy to ignore her when we wanted to just talk or just watch in amusement....but the food was so damned good I could care less if she was naked and doing a fire dance. :lol:

I have read a lot of reports that its good for families with kids. I would be going as a couple. Your right about the Luau, they do stop the food once the show starts. Is it only activities for kids at Ohana or does the performers sing, dance and all of the other things like at the Luau?

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Urgent!

I am calling now for Ohana... the fireworks start at 8pm on the day I want to go.. what time should I make the reservation for? Or does it matter as long as I am there during the fireworks? Can I ask for a specific view when calling?

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I finally reserved Ohana!!! The reservation is for 9pm. I cancelled the Luau. I hope Ohana lives up to the reviews. Thank you for you guys help and suggestions.

slappy magoo

I finally reserved Ohana!!! The reservation is for 9pm. I cancelled the Luau. I hope Ohana lives up to the reviews. Thank you for you guys help and suggestions.

Well, if your reservations are at 9 but the fireworks are at 8, try to get to Poly early and watch them from the resort's beach. OR if you want to take the chance and you have the tickets to do so, go into MK, make sure you're on main street and watch the fireworks and take off for the monorail the moment the show's over.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Well, if your reservations are at 9 but the fireworks are at 8, try to get to Poly early and watch them from the resort's beach. OR if you want to take the chance and you have the tickets to do so, go into MK, make sure you're on main street and watch the fireworks and take off for the monorail the moment the show's over.

I dont really mind seeing the fireworks. But the plan is to spend the evening at the Polynesian Resort taking in the sights; try to catch a little of Wishes on the beach then check in for Ohana. Walking along the beach after dinner would be enough for me. :xmas:

nolamom

What is the atmosphere for adults?

I'd say it's a mostly adult atmosphere. Maybe once an hour a CM leads the kids in a race of some kind or singing. But for the most part, very adult. It's tropical... like the rest of the Polynesian. Plus if you get seated on the right side, you get a view of the MK.

disneydiva72

Its fine for couples. Dont worry, once you get there and see the atmosphere you will get what we mean......I kind of noticed that they put the families twords the middle where most of the activitie is and the couples more by the windows.....you'll be fine! ENJOY!! I really feel confident that you will not be disapointed.:)

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Its fine for couples. Dont worry, once you get there and see the atmosphere you will get what we mean......I kind of noticed that they put the families twords the middle where most of the activitie is and the couples more by the windows.....you'll be fine! ENJOY!! I really feel confident that you will not be disapointed.:)

Thanks I am very excited about Ohana. I have attended the Luau at Disney and Sea World and was less than impressed. The price is ridiculous for what you get.. though, Sea World was a little better. I have never been to Ohana so I am looking forward to the food!!! How are the wings?

disney4life2008

Original Poster

What time does Ohana close? Has anyone had a 9pm reservation, I want fresh food and the ambiance to be the same. I am worried that they will be rushing me and that all of the activity would have ended by 9pm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom