Ohana Has Hit Rock Bottom

Mouse Trap

Original Poster
Well… I don’t think the “new” Ohana could be any worse. Lucked out with a reservation this evening and it was absolute trash — $55 a person is honestly a crime for what they were serving. The “old” Ohana was obviously still pricey, but I never minded splurging on it because the food was good and overall a fun experience.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone else who has made it out for dinner.

Hcalvert

I didn't realize they changed the menu. I love chimichurri. However, when I ate at Jungle Canteen last month, I noticed that they changed the chimichurri recipe and I didn't care for it. Sadly, Ohana is a no go for us now.

Mouse Trap

Original Poster
Was everything bad? Even the shrimp casserole?!?!!! Did you happen to let the manager know your thoughts?

Shrimp casserole was the worst part of the meal. The teriyaki steak was alright, noodles were alright and the typical dessert was great. The rest tasted like $10 entrees.

I'm dropping a reservation I have in two weeks -- it's just not worth it at all and I'm saying this after years of not caring about dropping $45+ per person on Ohana.

eliza61nyc

Wow, hope you let the manager know. My family is not a fan of the whole brazillian steakhouse, meat on a skewer thing so we've never had a desire to eat at O'hana. I know it always seems to be a hot ticket.

TrojanUSC

Agreed. It's so baffling to me. They have this huge wood-fired grill in the middle of the restaurant that they are only using for steak now... why? Like why replace the wood-fired chicken with the same slimy roasted chicken that is on the menu at a dozen other restaurants on property? Maybe there's a supply chain issue with the big grilled shrimp, but who wants to eat shrimp in a cheesy casserole? What is Hawaiian about that? They used to serve sausage years ago on the skewers so I'm not mad about the kielbasa, but again why not grill it? Then like they got rid of the delicious stir fried veggies for a sprig of broccolini? Why?

Personally I think the menu pre-COVID at 'Ohana had become a little stale (they used to slightly update it every few years - I remember when they went to grilled turkey for a bit, then pork loin, that was great) but this feels like the new additions were designed by someone who had never been to 'Ohana before.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I might be willing to go to O'hana for breakfast though. I was just posting on the BOG thread and realized that an entree there was about $30 with a beverage. $25/adult doesn't seem too bad and I like Mickey waffles and the juice they serve.

StarshipDisney

I am sorry to hear about this. We have been to Ohana many times and always loved it.

I did very much notice the change to Shrimp casserole. I would just say not to bother.

ksr99

Agreed. It's so baffling to me. They have this huge wood-fired grill in the middle of the restaurant that they are only using for steak now... why? Like why replace the wood-fired chicken with the same slimy roasted chicken that is on the menu at a dozen other restaurants on property? Maybe there's a supply chain issue with the big grilled shrimp, but who wants to eat shrimp in a cheesy casserole? What is Hawaiian about that? They used to serve sausage years ago on the skewers so I'm not mad about the kielbasa, but again why not grill it? Then like they got rid of the delicious stir fried veggies for a sprig of broccolini? Why?

Personally I think the menu pre-COVID at 'Ohana had become a little stale (they used to slightly update it every few years - I remember when they went to grilled turkey for a bit, then pork loin, that was great) but this feels like the new additions were designed by someone who had never been to 'Ohana before.
I do know the supply issue and cost in said supplies are brutal. I bet it was a cost thing more than anything else, the good old penny pinchers in corporate.

bunnm09

Ugh, I really hope they bring back the old version at some point. Ohana was our favorite restaurant/dining experience and now it just doesn’t seem great. Has to be some supply chain issue because I can’t imagine them sticking with a change that has been universally trashed if they can help it. Hopefully they switch back soon

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well… I don’t think the “new” Ohana could be any worse. Lucked out with a reservation this evening and it was absolute trash — $55 a person is honestly a crime for what they were serving. The “old” Ohana was obviously still pricey, but I never minded splurging on it because the food was good and overall a fun experience.

So what you’re saying is you “didn’t” luck out then? 😉

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Shrimp casserole was the worst part of the meal. The teriyaki steak was alright, noodles were alright and the typical dessert was great. The rest tasted like $10 entrees.

I'm dropping a reservation I have in two weeks -- it's just not worth it at all and I'm saying this after years of not caring about dropping $45+ per person on Ohana.
You were just there??

why would you be going back in a few weeks?

lostpro9het

I think you grossly underestimate what the bottom is when it comes to Disney Dinning. Chapek's salami attack, pun intended, on the customer base knows no bounds and anything is possible. He slyly used noodlegate to placate the pixiedusters into thinking that Disney cares about their opinion when it was just a smoke screen for the shrimp casserole and ridiculous pricing model.

Wendy Pleakley

BlogMickey did a great review of how bad it is.

That review was exactly what I anticipated when I read about the menu changes.

Everything about the menu change screamed downgrade, and the results are anything but shocking.

However, as the DisneyWorld turns, I expect it to continue to sell out at $55 a head and negative opinions will mean nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom