'Ohana Experience

jaklgreen

The last time that we went there was about 5 years ago. It used to our place to go to every trip but that last visit the food was not good. The thing that bothered us the most was the weird sweet glaze that they put over every single meat. I hope they stopped doing that. I also felt bad for our server. She was working her butt off but obviously had way too many tables.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
The last time that we went there was about 5 years ago. It used to our place to go to every trip but that last visit the food was not good. The thing that bothered us the most was the weird sweet glaze that they put over every single meat. I hope they stopped doing that. I also felt bad for our server. She was working her butt off but obviously had way too many tables.

I think the glaze still remains but it's subtle.

My issue with the servers is that a table of 2 does not compare to a table of 10. One time my server complete forgot about me but the larger tables got all the attention. Some servers are better than others

eb3257

Another way to go is to use the Reservations Finder at touringplans.com. While the site is a fee site, you don't have to join to use the Finder. It's worked very well for me in the past, scoring me hard to get rez's at just the time I wanted.
I used the reservations finder like you suggested and secured a reservation at Ohana. Thank you for posting this!!

DfromATX

Glad to hear it's gotten better. We've eaten there every trip and it was our "must do" place, but the last trip we thought it kind of went downhill (as other reviewers had warned).

Dafid Duck

I used the reservations finder like you suggested and secured a reservation at Ohana. Thank you for posting this!!

I'm also looking to secure an Ohana reservation. To use the touringplans reservations finder tool, do you have to subscribe? I saw that you could view other tools, like crowd calendar, without having to.

DfromATX

Oh, yes it should. Hank Hill said it best:
Bobby: what if someone asks for their steak well done?
Hank: Well Bobby, we ask them politely, but firmly, to leave.
;)

I prefer just pink (medium), but your post made me laugh. We used to watch that show all the time. Are you by chance a Texan?

jaklgreen

It depends on what meat you are cooking. If you are getting a steak, especially a filet, that cut needs to stay under med-rare otherwise it changes the texture and flavor. I say that if you do not like meat on the rare side then do not get steaks, just eat some pot roast. Funny story, we were at out local hibachi place and someone ordered their filet well done. The server cooked it and as they were handing it over he said "here's your beef jerky". We all laughed. My dad always liked his meat cooked well done. My Mom would make steak but she bought the cheap stuff like round steak and tried to treat it like a filet, but cooked the crap out of it. You could not chew the darn thing. It would never break down, just keep chewing and chewing until you finally had to spit it out. Know your cuts of meat and how to cook them. LOL

danyoung56

If you are getting a steak, especially a filet, that cut needs to stay under med-rare otherwise it changes the texture and flavor.

This is just not true. Meat temperature is a purely personal thing. My dad always liked well done, while Mom liked medium. I settled in on medium as the best compromise between tasty juicy meat and something so raw that it was like chewing a leg right off of a beast. You continue to do your "under med-rare" if that's what works for you. And I'll continue with medium, cuz it works for me.

jaklgreen

This is just not true. Meat temperature is a purely personal thing. My dad always liked well done, while Mom liked medium. I settled in on medium as the best compromise between tasty juicy meat and something so raw that it was like chewing a leg right off of a beast. You continue to do your "under med-rare" if that's what works for you. And I'll continue with medium, cuz it works for me.

I think I meant to say keep it at med or under. Any steak that is well done tastes off to me, personally. But I will say again, certain cuts can not be cooked well done unless you are going for the low and slow turning it into a pot roast. If Alton Brown was in on this conversation he would say the same thing. :D:p

danyoung56

And I stick by what I said - do it the way you enjoy it. Just because I don't see the sense in burning a steak till it's shoe leather, or the other extreme where you just show a steak the grill on its way to a plate, doesn't mean that some folks don't enjoy it that way.

Hockey89

And I stick by what I said - do it the way you enjoy it. Just because I don't see the sense in burning a steak till it's shoe leather, or the other extreme where you just show a steak the grill on its way to a plate, doesn't mean that some folks don't enjoy it that way.
Those folks who order it well done at a great steakhouse and will get the worse cut ever.... I' told my old GF who used to order her steak medium well and she got laughing every time bc her cut was inferior every single time.. It turned into a joke until she switched to medium.. High end places do not want to cook well done steak... Of course, you can do whatever you want...

Hockey89

I think I meant to say keep it at med or under. Any steak that is well done tastes off to me, personally. But I will say again, certain cuts can not be cooked well done unless you are going for the low and slow turning it into a pot roast. If Alton Brown was in on this conversation he would say the same thing. :D:p
What you don't want every bit of juice sucked out of the steak...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom