'Ohana Experience

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Had a late dinner at 'Ohana last night. And for the first time in many years the food was incredible. The noodles actually had flavor a little salt, the pot stickers were crispy, the steak was actually cooked and not read and juicy. The chicken tasted amazing and the shrimp was the winner. The updated salad was good too. And I didn't get seated until 10pm. I was worried about the late time but now I think it's my preferred. At least any time after the fireworks to avoid the exodus of people.

My only complaint, the second server kept calling me boss. I hate that. It's something a lot of people in Orlando say, it goes under my skin.

DisneyPrincess5

So glad to hear a good experience. DH and I have been a few times over the past 5 years and yikes the food quality went downhill. Glad you enjoyed it.
What was updated about the salad?

StarshipDisney

We love 'Ohana. It is one of the very best single Table Service credit restaurants in all of WDW. What a feast it is!

Been there in 2000, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, & 2015. Always great.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
So glad to hear a good experience. DH and I have been a few times over the past 5 years and yikes the food quality went downhill. Glad you enjoyed it.
What was updated about the salad?

The salad was more appetizing. They put some wontons (I think that is what they are called), it was really good.

Glad you had such a great experience! The place was horrendous when I was last there, so maybe they have turned things around.

I really do think its hit or miss. My biggest issue is with the grilled meats. On many occasians the steak has been so raw that it is not even accepetable. The chicken has tasted rotten. But last night both were supurb. i will say, for the first time I saw a female grill cook, I do not think I have ever seen a female on the grill. The meats were perfection.

zurgandfriend

It's good to hear that, we have not been in a long time so maybe we will try it again. I don't mind boss but my DW hates when a waitress calls he "Hon or Honey."

Are you able to ask your server for well done steak? I know that you can at Brazilian steakhouses, but i wasn't sure if that was the case here.

COProgressFan

Are you able to ask your server for well done steak? I know that you can at Brazilian steakhouses, but i wasn't sure if that was the case here.

You can definitely ask. In my experience when someone at our table did so, however, it took a while.

I will say we also had a great experience here a few weeks ago. Everything was flavorful and cooked perfectly.

But in my experience over the years, I agree it can really be hit or miss. For whatever reason, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in the cooking of the meats.

eb3257

Are there ever cancellations at Ohana for dinner? Is the best way to find one to keep checking the website or to call the restaurant directly? We are planning a last minute trip in November (I hope) and I would love to give Ohana a try.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Are there ever cancellations at Ohana for dinner? Is the best way to find one to keep checking the website or to call the restaurant directly? We are planning a last minute trip in November (I hope) and I would love to give Ohana a try.
Yes people cancel all the time. You can check the website daily but your best chance will be the day before you want to dine there, as folks may hang on to their ADRs right up until 24 hours prior and then cancel so they will not have to pay the $10/per person cancellation fee.

We have scored hard-to-get ADRs many times at the last minute (day before or even day of.)

eb3257

Yes people cancel all the time. You can check the website daily but your best chance will be the day before you want to dine there, as folks may hang on to their ADRs right up until 24 hours prior and then cancel so they will not have to pay the $10/per person cancellation fee.

We have scored hard-to-get ADRs many times at the last minute (day before or even day of.)
Thank you! This is so helpful. :)

COProgressFan

Thank you! This is so helpful. :)

I find this applies to pretty much every dining location on property, not just Ohana. Just keep trying, every day until your trip. People definitely do make tentative plans and cancel them as it gets closer to the actual dates. As has been mentioned, often times lots of cancellations pop up in the last week up until the last day before the $10 fee kicks in.

It also depends on your party size -- we've had better luck finding tables of 4 rather than tables of 6 or 8 when we've traveled with grandparents/in-laws (which makes sense).

Keep trying, and good luck!

Hockey89

The food was always pretty terrible and I quit a while ago... Maybe it's improved, but I think people like it bc you can get a ton of food for the price...

mrcarder

Had a late dinner at 'Ohana last night. And for the first time in many years the food was incredible. The noodles actually had flavor a little salt, the pot stickers were crispy, the steak was actually cooked and not read and juicy. The chicken tasted amazing and the shrimp was the winner....

My only complaint, the second server kept calling me boss. I hate that. It's something a lot of people in Orlando say, it goes under my skin.

Laughed at this - I hear that too, but just when I travel for some reason - can't stand it

Great to hear about 'Ohana - looking forward to our next visit there now more than usual, it's been a few years

ABQ

The food was always pretty terrible and I quit a while ago... Maybe it's improved, but I think people like it bc you can get a ton of food for the price...
That was my experience my one and only time going. Food was plentiful, but I think I was disappointed as the bar was set rather high due to the hype the place gets. Since then, I've never gone back and maybe never will as there are other places that though they don't offer up all you can stomach, what they do offer up is prepared better. I know I'm in a minority as Ohana is seemingly sacred to some, but no thanks, until someone I know personally with similar tastes bothers to give it a shot and convince me to return.

Nj4mwc

The salad was more appetizing. They put some wontons (I think that is what they are called), it was really good.

I really do think its hit or miss. My biggest issue is with the grilled meats. On many occasians the steak has been so raw that it is not even accepetable. The chicken has tasted rotten. But last night both were supurb. i will say, for the first time I saw a female grill cook, I do not think I have ever seen a female on the grill. The meats were perfection.
No such thing as meat that is to raw

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom