Oh no, say it ain't so, Joe..

asianway

I have 2 major problems with it.

1 - it should either be an actual steam train, or the locomotives should look like African diesel locomotives. Fake steam trains at a Disney park should never be (let’s not talk about Hong Kong please).

2- as a regular attraction in the park it shouldn’t show behind the scenes the way it does.
I think Wildlife Express was the most disappointed I ever was stepping off a Disney ride(I rode Superstar Limo BTW). So much potential for animal viewing and vistas of the Savanah from the Jeep’s with the train in the background. Bigger turd than DinoRama

Basil of Baker Street

I think Wildlife Express was the most disappointed I ever was stepping off a Disney ride(I rode Superstar Limo BTW). So much potential for animal viewing and vistas of the Savanah from the Jeep’s with the train in the background. Bigger turd than DinoRama
Me personally, I've never thought of the Wildlife Express as a ride. Just a means of transportation to get to the attraction. Of course there isn't much to the Conservation Station either but it's good for killing an hour or so.

UNCgolf

Me personally, I've never thought of the Wildlife Express as a ride. Just a means of transportation to get to the attraction. Of course there isn't much to the Conservation Station either but it's good for killing an hour or so.

Same for me.

I didn't realize anyone got on expecting to see animals during the ride, although as I mentioned above, the name is misleading. I can understand why people would hate it if they thought it was going involve animal viewing, but I'm almost positive Disney doesn't suggest that anywhere beyond the name itself. Maybe if they changed the name people wouldn't be so bothered by it?

TrainsOfDisney

Same for me.

I didn't realize anyone got on expecting to see animals during the ride, although as I mentioned above, the name is misleading. I can understand why people would hate it if they thought it was going involve animal viewing, but I'm almost positive Disney doesn't suggest that anywhere beyond the name itself. Maybe if they changed the name people wouldn't be so bothered by it?
Well... I think they were going for backlot tram tour. The original version where it dropped you off. On the backlot tour you were supposed to see backstage views.

Backstage Hollywood feels different than seeing the corrals where they keep the animals to me.

I don’t hate it because the name is misleading. That’s like saying “I guess if you expected something other than a plastic looking dinosaur carnival”

_caleb

Same for me.

Besides the name, the problem is that the train is themed so well and the seating is oriented to direct the passengers' view. If it was just transportation and a pull-back the curtain trip behind the scenes, it may have been better just to have a regular tram.

It's fine. Honestly, the Wildlife Express passing through Harambe every few minutes is great for atmosphere.

_caleb

Look at it in terms of wasted potential. Park was a blank slate, they blew it big time
Yeah, the concept/design wasn't the problem, the money was. AK was pretty expensive, but you can really tell where they spent the money and where they didn't.

HongKongFooy

Ok, yeah, sure to whatever point you're trying to make

You don't follow, really?

I will spell it out:
"killing time" is what one might do waiting for a flight at a gate or waiting for a court appointment.

If you're killing time at Disney then you ain't vacationing right. Disney time should be coveted and enjoyable.

techgeek

I agree and it would have been an easy win. Set up the train as a ride from Harambe across the game reserve to the veterinary field station and you could have had an alternative viewing area of the savana giving you two rides for the same investment

Something like this helps to address my main complaint with Animal Kingdom, which is that some animals are only viewable from the Safari. Lions and elephants most prominently.

The Safari has few restrictions, but it is still a bumpy ride and does have some that limit a portion of the audience. I’ve been with family with active back issues, for instance, and both cast members and I advised them it was probably best for them not to ride. No such issues with the train, though.

_caleb

Something like this helps to address my main complaint with Animal Kingdom, which is that some animals are only viewable from the Safari. Lions and elephants most prominently.

The Safari has few restrictions, but it is still a bumpy ride and does have some that limit a portion of the audience. I’ve been with family with active back issues, for instance, and both cast members and I advised them it was probably best for them not to ride. No such issues with the train, though.
What about on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek?

I agree the train would have been a great way to view animals. I thought I read somewhere that they basically couldn't make it work without endangering the animals?

techgeek

What about on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek?

I agree the train would have been a great way to view animals. I thought I read somewhere that they basically couldn't make it work without endangering the animals?

I would love a ‘trail’ going out to the elephants, in fact I think conservation station could be a good place for a trail to step off to that part of the savannah.

The train / animal thing I see as cop out. As pointed out elsewhere Busch has free roaming animals interacting with the train (which observes a very slow speed limit through the animal areas). In addition it could have just travelled adjacent to an enclosure... it’s not too far removed from the lion area. Alternatively, perhaps the backstage / animal care areas could have been designed to be more viewable from the train.. glass walls like the old tram tour, not looking at the backside of the buildings, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom