ography at POFQ

Gail Hayden

ITA, but the child needed it less. It is horrible and to make Disney the prime part of the story is absurd. It is about a child being molested and taken advantage of and a victum of child and the victum of a very sick human being.
What is with journalists these days?

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Jornalists have no regard to moral or ethical issues. They are so set in "breaking that news story" that they don't think about the consequences of what they are reporting, (e.g. the whole Tigger incident). I am sure the heavy emphasis for this story will be that it happened at a Disney hotel and that Disney hotels are no longer safe.

I am sure these things happen every day. Unfortunately there are some sick people in this world who are the equivelent of pond scum. However, since it involves Disney, the story will be much higher profile.

Dr Albert Falls

Isn't this website for an Orlando TV station? It makes sense they would mention Disney since its their hometown. If the photos showed the Ritz Carlton in New York, I'm sure those news stations would mention that.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Yes, I too think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. I can't stand the Orlando papers, and news organizations, but I can certainly understand their mentioning where this crime occured. Maybe someone sees the pics, and recognizes something. Maybe someone else who was there around that same time has some information to help with this case. I don't like that it happened at Disney, but it happens all over the world in all kinds of places. You have to report where it occured.

Brian

Gail Hayden

HennieBogan1966 said:
Yes, I too think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. I can't stand the Orlando papers, and news organizations, but I can certainly understand their mentioning where this crime occured. Maybe someone sees the pics, and recognizes something. Maybe someone else who was there around that same time has some information to help with this case. I don't like that it happened at Disney, but it happens all over the world in all kinds of places. You have to report where it occured.

Brian

Brian,
That is true, BUT, you don't have to quote the rates, the different views available, etc.

Gail Hayden

Dr Albert Falls said:
Isn't this website for an Orlando TV station? It makes sense they would mention Disney since its their hometown. If the photos showed the Ritz Carlton in New York, I'm sure those news stations would mention that.

The Canadian papers are the ones that are making a big deal out of it being Disney.

Yellow Shoes

In a way it is good that it happened at Disney, a place that thousands of people visit every year. It made identifying the room much easier than if it had been a Ramada Inn in Memphis.

And journalists made Disney the lead because of the irony factor.

Disney World is the first place that comes to mind (OUR minds, at least) when one thinks of the innocence and playfulness of childhood.

For a child to be robbed of her childhood at a place so clearly created for children makes good copy.

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Yellow Shoes said:
In a way it is good that it happened at Disney, a place that thousands of people visit every year. It made identifying the room much easier than if it had been a Ramada Inn in Memphis.

And journalists made Disney the lead because of the irony factor.

Disney World is the first place that comes to mind (OUR minds, at least) when one thinks of the innocence and playfulness of childhood.

For a child to be robbed of her childhood at a place so clearly created for children makes good copy.

I guess along the "irony lines" the same could be said if this happened at a McDonalds Playland, Toys R Us, or a Chucky Cheese?

This is the problem with the media, they always have to throw something extra in. It is bad enough that it happened, but to add this "irony" into the story twists things up and makes it seem as though Disney has lost its innocense and isn't safe. I am surprised they didn't try to end the story with "This is the same place where Tigger was arrested for alledgedly molesting a guest in the park." Maybe I am reading too much into this, but this is how I perceive it, and I am sure I'm not alone.

Gail Hayden

TTATraveler said:
I guess along the "irony lines" the same could be said if this happened at a McDonalds Playland, Toys R Us, or a Chucky Cheese?

This is the problem with the media, they always have to throw something extra in. It is bad enough that it happened, but to add this "irony" into the story twists things up and makes it seem as though Disney has lost its innocense and isn't safe. I am surprised they didn't try to end the story with "This is the same place where Tigger was arrested for alledgedly molesting a guest in the park." Maybe I am reading too much into this, but this is how I perceive it, and I am sure I'm not alone.

Nope, you definitely are not alone in this one. Media hype.

slappy magoo

Those that are crying "media hype" don't seem to realize that ID'ing the hotel is potentially a step closer to IDing the perpetrators of the crime.

Devil's advocate mode: 2 or 3 years ago, YOU'RE at WDW and staying at FQ. One night, you hear some mighty strange sounds from the room next door, as if a kid is being hit or abused. You're not sure, but it definitely does not sound normal. Most folks think to themselves that they'd do something about it, but most often, they think twice, get worried about making a scene or just being wrong, and console themselves with the mantra "Eh, it's none of my business anyway." Maybe the next day you notice the family leaving the room and you catch a weird vibe from them.

Now you hear about this scandal, and you remember that day or that night when you heard those strange sounds. You feel like doing something about it so you contact the authorities. You tell them when you were at POFQ and what room you were in (or Disney can look up the room you were in). From there, they can figure out who was in the room next to you. Maybe something else was screwy about those people, like the credit card they used turned out to be stolen, or other hotel guests complained about the noise. Further scrutiny of the tape (checking out the backgrounds or the view outside) lead investigators to believe that the room next to yours could very well be the room where it happened...maybe the people in the room next to you have a criminal record, or like I said before, the card was stolen, but the man who stole the card had already been caught and arrested, and now there's a bona fide lead.

Don't you get it? What you see as an unnecessary besmirching of Disney's name, detectives (and potentially investigative journalists) can see as a piece of the puzzle, a possible way to get more information that could lead to the arrest of the people who committed this heinous act. Many mysteries start getting solved because regular people told the police about something they thought was suspicious. And for every couple of crackpots who think anyone darker than Casper the Friendly Ghost is a potential terrorist, once in a while, someone comes along who can supply real, pertinent information.

There's an element of sensationalism in the news reporting that POFQ was the victim of a horrible act, to be sure. But still...piece of the puzzle...

Gail Hayden

slappy magoo said:
Those that are crying "media hype" don't seem to realize that ID'ing the hotel is potentially a step closer to IDing the perpetrators of the crime.

Devil's advocate mode: 2 or 3 years ago, YOU'RE at WDW and staying at FQ. One night, you hear some mighty strange sounds from the room next door, as if a kid is being hit or abused. You're not sure, but it definitely does not sound normal. Most folks think to themselves that they'd do something about it, but most often, they think twice, get worried about making a scene or just being wrong, and console themselves with the mantra "Eh, it's none of my business anyway." Maybe the next day you notice the family leaving the room and you catch a weird vibe from them.

Now you hear about this scandal, and you remember that day or that night when you heard those strange sounds. You feel like doing something about it so you contact the authorities. You tell them when you were at POFQ and what room you were in (or Disney can look up the room you were in). From there, they can figure out who was in the room next to you. Maybe something else was screwy about those people, like the credit card they used turned out to be stolen, or other hotel guests complained about the noise. Further scrutiny of the tape (checking out the backgrounds or the view outside) lead investigators to believe that the room next to yours could very well be the room where it happened...maybe the people in the room next to you have a criminal record, or like I said before, the card was stolen, but the man who stole the card had already been caught and arrested, and now there's a bona fide lead.

Don't you get it? What you see as an unnecessary besmirching of Disney's name, detectives (and potentially investigative journalists) can see as a piece of the puzzle, a possible way to get more information that could lead to the arrest of the people who committed this heinous act. Many mysteries start getting solved because regular people told the police about something they thought was suspicious. And for every couple of crackpots who think anyone darker than Casper the Friendly Ghost is a potential terrorist, once in a while, someone comes along who can supply real, pertinent information.

There's an element of sensationalism in the news reporting that POFQ was the victim of a horrible act, to be sure. But still...piece of the puzzle...

You do have excellent points, however, it should be enough to mention the hotel/resort, the time frame and a few other salient details. They do not need to mention the cost of the room, the views available and all the other superfluous details mentioned in many of the reports. In other words, the media should stick to the facts, only the facts.

TTATraveler

Original Poster
[font=Geneva, Arial]"One picture released by Toronto Police shows an arcade -- which the Port Orleans Resort French Quarter lists among its many amenities. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial] For visitors, the hotel -- modelled after the historic Jackson Square Warehouse District in the French Quarter of New Orleans -- is an adventure wonderland. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial] Guests are invited to "stroll cobblestone walks and gaze down ornate iron railings as you imagine a jazz backdrop and the sweet smell of magnolia blossoms in the air." [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial] On the banks of a lagoon, the resort offers boat rentals, horse-drawn rides and spas. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial] Rooms, which include pizza delivery and the Disney channel, start at $133 US a night and go up to $209 nightly for picturesque views overlooking the Sassagoula River. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial] An operator at the hotel last night finished a call by saying, "Have a magical evening."
[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial]
I am not quite sure what this has to do with the whole incident: Quoting room rates and a description of the hotel. Either they are freely advertising for WDW (I think not) or they are trying to convey a hidden message (I think so). :(
[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial]
[/font]

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Gail Hayden said:
You do have excellent points, however, it should be enough to mention the hotel/resort, the time frame and a few other salient details. They do not need to mention the cost of the room, the views available and all the other superfluous details mentioned in many of the reports. In other words, the media should stick to the facts, only the facts.

If they stuck to the facts, the news would be quite boring:rolleyes:, and they would loose out on sweeps;). The story should have been simply been left at the fact that an assault took place a few years ago in a Port Orleans room, and was only uncovered by tipsters recognizing pictures of the hotel room being that of POFQ. Disney is an easy target and the media takes advantage of that and has a way of twisting things and blowing things out of proportion.

Unfortunately I am sure tons of the incidents happen all the time, but go unreported. However, we now involve a famous destination and suddenly this same incident is the top story.

Gail Hayden

TTATraveler said:
If they stuck to the facts, the news would be quite boring:rolleyes:, and they would loose out on sweeps;). The story should have been simply been left at the fact that an assault took place a few years ago in a Port Orleans room, and was only uncovered by tipsters recognizing pictures of the hotel room being that of POFQ. Disney is an easy target and the media takes advantage of that and has a way of twisting things and blowing things out of proportion.

Unfortunately I am sure tons of the incidents happen all the time, but go unreported. However, we now involve a famous destination and suddenly this same incident is the top story.

Will,
I do agree with your points. I get my news from HNN, which is, in a word, boring. I like boring news, I like facts, I dislike superfluous details. :) Guess that is the way I am wired.

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Gail Hayden said:
Will,
I do agree with your points. I get my news from HNN, which is, in a word, boring. I like boring news, I like facts, I dislike superfluous details. :) Guess that is the way I am wired.

You're not alone, I cannot stand how the media hype stuff up, especially during sweeps months. I belive Feb is a sweeps month, so I expect to see more fluffed up news from the local media outlets. They certainly do it in NYC, since it the the #1 market and has to live up to its title.:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom