Official Photography Contest 9/9/06 - 9/14/06 Downtown Disney

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
47b6dc31b3127cce97706cb7597200000015108IZNWTJyzaa

barnum42

Thank you Tramp! I thought it was okay but Barnum said two on the page were too big and I couldn't find the second?
I guess you checked it after the second of the two had been resized. I don't want to become a cop on this thread as we'll end up with too many people flashing their badges. This here be sheriff Nibbs territory ;)

I just found it amusing that on a page where dimensions were being discussed, in between the posts were two pics well over the limits.

Horizons1

Your photo is ok...I think he may be talking about Horizon's photo...795 x 603

Heck, your right. I had just posted that pic and wasnt paying attention to what I was doing, boy was I off on size. Could I resize mine or should I just withdrawl my entry from this contest since mine is over by some?

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
All this talk about making sure the pictures are of a correct size and even how to resize them and there are two images on this page that break the size limits!

Nibs - you may have to put the size limit in bold text at the very top of every contest's rules.
Well...it doesn't start until the next contest...but I will definitely include the size limitations in bold at the top for the next contest.

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
Heck, your right. I had just posted that pic and wasnt paying attention to what I was doing, boy was I off on size. Could I resize mine or should I just withdrawl my entry from this contest since mine is over by some?
If you'd like to resize...that's fine...but as it's been mentioned...it will be ok for this contest. Starting with the next one...it will have to be the correct size.

I'm not very familiar with all the things you can do with digital pictures...in general I just take the pictures, take my memory card to the photo place and get the pictures printed. Is there any significance to the size limit...or is it just the predetermined number choosen?

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
Maybe this can be copied and pasted into the rules, so that others in future contests will be able to successfuly resize their photos?
Just a suggestion to make it easier for others.
Better yet...I think I'll see about making this a sticky...it's good info for all to know.

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
I'm not very familiar with all the things you can do with digital pictures...in general I just take the pictures, take my memory card to the photo place and get the pictures printed. Is there any significance to the size limit...or is it just the predetermined number choosen?
I didn't choose the size limitations...it was set when I took over the contest from Speck. I know somebody else (probably Tramp) can explain why it is the way it is.

barnum42

There is more than one way to measure the size of a digital photo. When you print one out you have a physical size. However, the physical printed size will not necessarily reflect how big a photo will appear when you look at it on your computer, this is because as well as the printed dimensions, a photo will also have a resolution - how many dots of detail there will be in an inch DPI (dots per inch)

You could have two photos that when printed off are 5 inches wide. But on the digital side, one is 50 dots per inch, the other is 100 dots per inch. When you look at these pictures on your computer, one appears twice the size of the other, even though both are only 5 inches wide when printed. This is because on your computer screen a dot is always the same size, so the 100 dots per inch photo will need to use twice as many dots on-screen as the 50 dots per inch one.

It's a little weird to get your head around this to begin with, but when it clicks it all makes sense.

By the way, the resolutions I mentioned above are not usual ones, I just picked them to make the maths easy - computer screen is around 72 dots per inch.

So, when resizing a picture for the Internet, the printed size and dots per inch don't really have much of an effect - it's the number of dots wide by number of dots high that you need to measure it by - these being the 700 x 525 requested by these competitions.

Why the different dots per inch resolutions? Printed quality - the more dots per inch, the better a photo. The downside being that the picture will use more of your camera's memory. and your computer when you transfer it there.

That make sense, or are you regretting asking? :lol: :wave:

yeah, I think that makes sense:veryconfu

but what does the size have to do with the contest.....just a number that was picked once upon a time? or does it have to do with not having one picture with more pixels (?) being of higher quality than another??:veryconfu

I guess I am still confused:D

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
At one point I thought it had to do with the length of time it takes for the page to load. That's also why we don't quote pictures in replies.

barnum42

yeah, I think that makes sense:veryconfu

but what does the size have to do with the contest.....just a number that was picked once upon a time? or does it have to do with not having one picture with more pixels (?) being of higher quality than another??:veryconfu

I guess I am still confused:D
I think a combination of time to load the pages, but I also took it that any larger than that and the lining up of the page can start to look wonky. Plus the larger the picture the more impact it has - which could give a photo an unfair advantage when it was the size that grabbed the attention rather than the subject.

Now we just have to ban photos that include people's own cute kids and put a ban on instantly voting for the night shots ;) :lol:

Windows comes with a "PAINT" program that allows you to resize a photo. There is no need to download any special programs to do this for you.

For those who may need the help...

Click on START
Click on ALL PROGRAMS
... when the window opens, click on ACCESSORIES
... then click PAINT...that will open the PAINT program.
... go to top left and click on FILE, then OPEN...browse around and find the photo you want to resize and double click on it, your photo should now appear in the paint program.
... go up to the top and click on the IMAGE tab...then click ATTRIBUTES...the size of your photo will appear in a pop up box...

...RESIZE YOUR PHOTO HERE TO ACCOMMODATE THE 700 X 525 PIXELS

...when you are done resizing...click OK and go back up to FILE and save the photo...use "save as" if you don't wish to overwrite the original photo.

This process takes all of two minutes..there is no reason for someone NOT to resize their photos.

Hope this helps someone that may be discouraged from participating.

I don't know if MAC has a similar program.

PS: I didn't read thru this whole thread so if this is redundant, I apologize.

So....now that we went through all that....any tips on how to resize and save? :D

There you go!:D

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
I think a combination of time to load the pages, but I also took it that any larger than that and the lining up of the page can start to look wonky. Plus the larger the picture the more impact it has - which could give a photo an unfair advantage when it was the size that grabbed the attention rather than the subject.

Now we just have to ban photos that include people's own cute kids and put a ban on instantly voting for the night shots ;) :lol:

Yes...I believe those were all the reasons for the size limitations. Good job Joe! You get a cookie! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom