Official Photography Contest 1.28.05 - 2.3.05: Indoor Photography

PhotoDave219

I have my opinions and y'all have yours.

I just want people to try and get better at what they do. I want people to expect and get better quality then what they get from Kodak on Main Street.

And if you don't like that i'm encouraging people to get better? Well, deal with it.

Atta83

PhotoDave219 said:
I think these contests are about trying to get everyone to be better photographers, but i want people to start putting out work thats up there with Bamboo7's and mine and Donickco's.

I dont think so cause this site isnt full of pros like you three. People are putting their best work forward and you frown on it.

You guys just keep posting your pics and ppl will vote for their favorites! I know I voted for mine and no I wont say whos it was.

Sorry but this post just upset me.

Kevin

TennisPlayer519 said:
Honestly, I can already say who I'm voting for...

Here are some (truthful) hints:

-I am a major fan of Donald Duck, and even change into a Donald Duck shirt at gym.

-I love the Lion King, but I like Mickey's PhillharMagic even better.

-Kevin's photo is my favorite (oops!)

Can anyone guess who I'm voting for?

Thanks!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I agree, it's hard not to think of PhilharMagic when you see it.

Computer Magic

PhotoDave219 said:
I have my opinions and y'all have yours.

I just want people to try and get better at what they do. I want people to expect and get better quality then what they get from Kodak on Main Street.

And if you don't like that i'm encouraging people to get better? Well, deal with it.
I understand what you are trying to accomplish and appreciate it. This is only the 2nd or 3rd contest so I think people will produce improved pictures as there are more contest under their belts. It doesn't happen overnight but a work in progress. I think when we look back in a year, each of us will see improvement in our picture quality and style.

WDWKat26

PhotoDave219 said:
My point is that i would except that everyone can and should be able to take that picture. Plain and simple. Everyone should.

I think these contests are about trying to get everyone to be better photographers, but i want people to start putting out work thats up there with Bamboo7's and mine and Donickco's.

Plain and simple, i want people to start taking better pictures, and not just accept the mediocraty that seems to have been set as the standard by the awful Kodak photogs in the parks. People really shouldnt accept the kinda @#%$ that they turn out, because its just horrid.

Youve got your opinion; I've got mine.

You call that a professional critique? I definitely would call your past 2 threads rude.

First of all, we all can't be as professional as you are PhotoDave. Obviously you have a big heart for photography, but unfortunately you also have a big head. I understand that you're proud of what you do, but judging others based on your opinion is really not what some of these people really need right now. I'm sure you've NEVER been the BEST photographer since you started, and i'm sure that when you did first start, you were in the position that some people are in right now with still learning about photography.

The quote that you said about only having pictures up to yours, Bamboo7's and Donickco's level is one of the most egotistical and self centered comments I think i've heard on here in a long time. It's very rude of you to put other people down because they aren't up to your calibur, and pretty much insult people with your comments. I really didn't expect that from you.

As for those Kodak Photographers in the park, I know a lot of them personally. One of which is a Photography Major and is amazing at what he does. Of course all of them aren't going to be professionals, but I just thought i'd let you know that some of them *believe it or not* ARE.

If you don't like how some of the contests turn out, and how other pictures are entered that you don't like, well then either 1. Don't compete 2. Compete and just deal with it like EVERYONE else or 3. Make your own contest with you vs. Bamboo7 vs. Donickco, then you won't have to worry about others.

nicholas

I am gonna regret this, but...

I see what Dave is trying to say. Some of the pictures entered are things that any schmoe with a camera could capture. Not that the picture itself is bad, just not something that everyone couldn't do. I do, however, think there was probably a better way to say it so as to not sound as rude, but I understand what he was getting at. And I agree, these contests should be about finding the best of the best. And if that encourages us all to try to get better quality pictures, then we're all winners.

Computer Magic

nicholas said:
I am gonna regret this, but...

I see what Dave is trying to say. Some of the pictures entered are things that any schmoe with a camera could capture. Not that the picture itself is bad, just not something that everyone couldn't do. I do, however, think there was probably a better way to say it so as to not sound as rude, but I understand what he was getting at. And I agree, these contests should be about finding the best of the best. And if that encourages us all to try to get better quality pictures, then we're all winners.
Well, I'm glad you said it. Very well stated. I would give you rep points but it seems we have agreed a lot lately.

barnum42

PhotoDave219 said:
Dave, I'm fortunate enough to have met you and know you are a good bloke, as well as an accomplished photographer. It's great that you wish people to improve their photography skills, but we gotta' first work on your written people skills ;) If I may suggest - keep the tips comings and tone down the bluntness. :wave:

My shot in the indoor contest is lacking in the way of technical merit and was taken with my old fully automatic camera stretched to the limit, but I still like the fact it caught that moment of the dancer - the energy and the expression.

However as it was a link rather than an embedded image (you can't embed fotopic images) I think speck accidentally scrolled past it and it did not end up in either of the voting groups. So, as it's not being voted on, can I ask for your opinion of it?

PhotoDave219

Joe, lets take this out of the public forum, PM me with the link when you get a chance.

Im not going to do any more "public" critiques

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Originally Posted by donsullivan
Based on that, I guess I need to back out of, and stop participating in these efforts. I'm clearly not a professional photographer (and don't profess to be even close to one) and as a result, apparently not worthy to participate.

Agreed.... :)

I mean, c'mon, we're all not professional photographers who use big-time cameras....we're just simple people with basic cameras, trying to get a nice shot. If you want to participate in contests with professional photos, I would suggest finding another message board to do so.

Kevin

PhotoDave219 said:
Im not going to do any more "public" critiques

No worries. I’ve only been participating because, as Speck said in his original rules post, “Most of all, this is all for FUN.”

I’ll be the first to admit I have zero photography skills. Personally, I’ve been judging the entries on how much they remind me of the Disney magic, and have given little credit to the amount of photography skills required. It wouldn’t have even dawned on me.

However, to your point, the pictures have made me give thoughts a couple times to how I could improve, especially when it comes to night pictures. I’d love to be able to take night pictures like some of the pictures that have been posted. They’re fantastic.

ACE

This is not directed at anyone. It is meant for everyone. These contests are not worth arguing over.

While I understand what PhotoDave219 is saying, I think you folks are missing one main point. That point being that when I go to WDW like most folks, I'm not there to take photos for contests or publication. I'm taking pic's of my family having fun and of things I think are worth remembering. I'm not really worried about all the technical aspects.

I also don't have the luxury of running over to WDW and taking pic's whenever I want too. i.e. for website contests. So the photos I have are not going to be anything much more than family standing with characters or in special places.

These contests are for fun. The most talented, technically proficient folks don't always win. People vote for what they like and everyone’s taste is different. So if you don't win don't be insulted.

I would also suggest that if you would like constructive criticism from a professional, whether in the photo contest or any of the other contest, then ask for it when you submit your entry.

Take Care,
:wave: ACE

speck76

Original Poster
barnum42 said:
However as it was a link rather than an embedded image (you can't embed fotopic images) I think speck accidentally scrolled past it and it did not end up in either of the voting groups. So, as it's not being voted on, can I ask for your opinion of it?

oops.....sorry I missed you this week. I was looking out for your entry, as I know that you always post a link, but I missed it.

DonickCo

Over the past 18 months my photo skill have really blossomed… about a year ago I met someone who would change my life for ever… I started to hang out with this guy who was a photographer and at this point i was only a very basic photographer shooting with a little point and shoot… this man began to give me tips on techneak and opened the door to some of the more advanced feathers on my camera.. afue months later I bought a new camera with fully manual settings… and advanced point&shoot… I was shown the basics and I ran with it… I was then recommended to read a book, to this day still sits by my desk. (national geographic photography, field guide [isbn:0-7922-5676-x]) I read it and it helped my shooting ability… about 9 months later I picked up a D-SLR I had out grown my point and shoot… I was now in the leags of beading a real photographer..

And this person who took me under there wing was no other then Dave… he changed my life… I owe a great deal to this man… he’s all so became a close friend…

Bottom line is he may not be graceful about it, but he means well… he is just trying to do for all of you what he has done for me… he pushed me and told me when my shots sucked… did I like it..no.. did it help me become a better photographer…YES

Dave just want to show that no matter what u shoot with u can produce a great shot.. capturing a moment in time

-DonickCo

Please pardon the rambling.. I just got home from a supper ball party… and im shot..

speck76

Original Poster
Not everybody wants advice though....some people just want to enjoy their vacation and share their pictures.

The contests are open to both people who aspire to be great photographers, and those who just want to have fun.

People vote on their tastes, and what the picture means to them personally. A great picture, with great color, lighting, and a properly laid out shot, can mean nothing to one person, and it can be a masterpiece to another.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom