Of these what's your favorite (current or defunct) RunDisney event?

What's Your Favorite (current or defunct) RunDisney Event?

• The Walt Disney World Marathon/Half

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • The Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Wine and Dine Half

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • The Tinkerbell Half

• The Avengers Half

• The Tower of Terror 10k

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Disneyland Star Wars (Rebel) Half

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • The Everest Challenge

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Just curious to see what people here think. Obviously I did not include the WDW Star Wars race because it has not happened yet ;). Maybe in April that will become a write in candidate?

So what is your favorite? Here are the qualifiers.

a.) This is your personal favorite
b.) This includes the entirety of the event the from expo till the last event of whatever weekend it is.
c.) This is not an individual year kind of think, like "I liked the 2013 Wine and Dine the best", but an all inclusive yearly event, like I enjoY "Halloween more than Thanksgiving".

Not sure we get many votes but I am interested.

Mad Stitch

No contest, W&D. I do wish I had the opportunity to do one of the relays they once offered.
... but it was actually the TOT 13K (13 being an "unlucky" number and all).
Right, it was originally a 13K (8 miles) and then returned as a 10 miler. There was never a TOT 10K.

FerretAfros

For me, it's a toss-up between Marathon Weekend and Wine & Dine (though I gave my vote to Marathon Weekend, since I couldn't split it)

W&D is fun because of the party atmosphere that it has. Obviously there's the race, but everybody is always looking forward to the afterparty. The theme seems to attract an off-beat crowd, which is fun, and the course is pretty good too (though probably runDisney's hilliest, relatively speaking)

Marathon Weekend is great just because of how big it is, and how it completely takes over WDW. The weekend's atmosphere reminds me of the Millennium Celebration, with how everybody is at Disney celebrating in a distinctly-Disney way, but what they're celebrating could really happen anywhere in the world; it's sort of the last glimmer of the Disney I grew up with, in a way. The Marathon is one of my favorite races (though I wish they'd bring back the old course with the early loop through Epcot) and I've always preferred the 26.2 distance over 13.1, and Goofy and Dopey are great unique challenges in the running world. It also seems to attract a more serious field of runners, which is a welcome change of pace compared to some of the more frivolous themes they have

I've also done tons of races at DLR, but none of them compare for me. The organization out there is always like amateur hour, and the front-loaded courses always lead to lackluster races overall. The themes of the races don't appeal to me much, and often seem overly forced. I'm also not a fan of the whole "see and be seen"/costume parade vibe that their events have turned into. I really only do the DLR races because I can tie them into trips to see family and friends in the area

dreamfinder

You left several races out of your poll. As mentioned, ToT was a 13k and then a 10m, there was the Minnie Marathon weekend (think it was a half? never did this one) they also had the Race for the Taste 10k.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Okay changed the title. Wow I ran the TOT forgot it was a ten miler the year I ran oops

Race For The Taste! Totally forgot about that one too. It "ran" from 99-2009 in October, I am guessing it was the precursor to Wine and Dine?

surfsupdon

They also had the ESPN The Weekend 5k!

But my all time favorite weekend was the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 13K. It was Halloween themed and was really one of the most cleverly designed race weekends. I remember signing in at the recreated hotel lobby at MGM Studios start line, where you signed the Guest Registrar. You walked down a red carpet surrounded by fog towards the start line (and awesome photo ops with props) and our Hosts were always in the familiar ToT 1920s theme. The one race had escaped mental patients roaming around (literally jumping out at you during ESPN area), another had clues to decipher along the course, and another was loaded with Disney Villains.

Plus, the after party at MGM was incredible. All the Tower, RNRC, and TSMM you could handle, with walk on status!!! What a terrific race Weekend.

surfsupdon

1) W&D - after-party
2) ToT - after-party
3) E:E - after-party
4) DLR Star Wars - characters

Looking forward to the Dark Side weekend.

Agreed. An afterparty adds so much more to the overall Race Weekend. They are the best, and it is a great way to get on rides without waiting.

FigmentPigments

From start to finish, the Tower of Terror 10 miler weekend had it all for me. I loved the shirts, merchandise, the medals, and the characters. Even the atmosphere with the fog, and creepy noise really pulled it all together for me. My favorite thing though was the headless horseman appearing before the 5K. I have such fond memories of that race. A very close second would have been the Expedition Everest Challenge.

lukacseven

Speaking of defunct events...I had the pleasure of running the inaugural and only WDW Relay. I'm still surprised this only lasted one year. I also liked the defunct post-race perks - Marathon Monday and the after party at DHS. I feel like the race entry fee should include some sort of park related perk.

Texas84

Speaking of defunct events...I had the pleasure of running the inaugural and only WDW Relay. I'm still surprised this only lasted one year. I also liked the defunct post-race perks - Marathon Monday and the after party at DHS. I feel like the race entry fee should include some sort of park related perk.

I remember running past the relay point one year and wanting to do that. You have the Sunday discounts at Disney Springs but that really isn't much.

lukacseven

I remember running past the relay point one year and wanting to do that. You have the Sunday discounts at Disney Springs but that really isn't much.
The process of the relay exchange was really fun. the only issue I had with the relay was that the leg #1 runner received their medal at the exchange and basically became a spectator at that point. I thought it would have been nice to transport them to meet their teammate at the finish and hand out the medals together. The first few years I ran the marathon, Pleasure Island was still a paid admission, but they gave runners a free pass in the goodie bag. In 2010, they had DHS open for runners Sunday night 'til 11:00 and had music and food/drinks. Spectators could purchase post-race party admission for $45. Few people went because it was 20 degrees. I think the following year they included a one-day park ticket for Monday only for runners. I believe that was the last year for any significant perk of that magnitude.

surfsupdon

Wine & Dine was a relay optioned race for its first and maybe second years- splitting up a half marathon. Were there any other relay races? Was the Marathon a relay? I think I can remember a Chip and Dale medal.

Texas84

Wine & Dine was a relay optioned race for its first and maybe second years- splitting up a half marathon. Were there any other relay races? Was the Marathon a relay? I think I can remember a Chip and Dale medal.

I think Chip & Dale was the marathon relay. They were also allowing runners to do the W&D relay AND the half. So you hit the relay point, remove your relay chip and keep going. Don't think they allowed that for the marathon.

Texas84

Can't find a W&D relay medal. Did they exist? Found Chip & Dale.
C&DMedal1.jpg

MKCP 1985

I have run in a number of Disney World races and the kingpin of them all is Marathon Weekend - half or full and I have done both. There is more excitement and there are more on-course entertainments than at any of the others. All have their high points and are worth doing, but Marathon is at the top of the heap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom