Odd Character Audition

btmrider

Original Poster
New to the forums, well new poster to the forums. Lurker by choice. ;) Kind of vent post but maybe someone can help me out. So I decided that my current role at Walt Disney was getting kind of old and was not enjoying it. Just so you know I currently work at Magic Kingdom parking. The constant cursing and screaming by guests is taking its toll on me. Anywho I decided that I wanted to be a character. Have a couple of friends who are friends with characters and asked them what the audition would be like. They all said you learn a fairly short and simple dance and they tell you to animate something and then do the dance. Even casting said the same thing. However my audition was to learn a very complicated dance. The dance itself lasted about 5 minutes and involved doing multiple spins (2 or 3) before stopping and moving onto the next step. Other things that were asked were for high kicks, which even though I am fairly flexiable can't do. I asked one of cast members running the audition if this was normal and they stated that it was kind of odd, but then again they are working on getting Christmas ready. The music they chose for us to dance to by the way was the Christmas parade music from last year. So obviously I didn't get chosen and was kind of sad but given the fact that they were more or less looking for dancers I see why. What ticked off a couple of people who did not get in was the fact that there was one person who while we were learning the dance sat on the floor and played with his cell phone the entire time. He was offered a role. So now I must wait six months before I reaudition. My question is due to the fact that I didn't really get a "normal" audition for characters is there any way I could reaudition in less then six months? Waiting six months is a long time for a kind of an unfair attempt.

End of vent.:confused:

WDWKat26

I hate to be honest with you, but i'm just putting in my $.02 so utilize it if you please.

First off, a lot of people think Entertainment is the "dream" job of WDW. Yes, it's a ton of fun, and don't get me wrong, I love my job. But, we also get the same things, guests hitting on us, swearing at us and our attendants because it's time for us to go in for a break and all the other fun stuff. People think you're actual cartoons and when you get hit or kicked or tackled, it doesn't hurt. People can be cruel.

Anyway, I understand that your audition was hard, but I think you built it up in your head to be easier than it was going to be from what your friends told you. Usually they do 4 counts of 8 so the whole dance usually seems fairly long. Yes there are kicks, but I think you mistook them as high kicks or they may have seemed like high kicks. Yes there are spins. But if you think about it, there's a good chance that you'll be spinning and kicking if you ever get into parades or shows. No one in Entertainment except for equity is allowed to do a high kick, so I don't know why they would put one in the audition. As for the "guy who played with his cell phone the whole time", maybe he picked things up quicker than everyone else. I wasn't perfect at my audition or color coding, and there are always going to be people who are better dancers. I'm also curious as to what your measured height was at the audition.

Unfortunately, calling up casting and saying "I believe I got an unfair audition" won't really do anything. I'm sure they get that every day. My only suggestion is to try again in 6 months. Sorry!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Just wondering...

Have you ever had any sort of theater/dance experience before?

Learning an audition set is definately easier the second or third time around. The first time you encounter it, it's rather confusing and seems very unnatural.

Maybe you were at a theatrical audition and not a normal character movement casting call? Like, i know when they're casting for shows like the upcoming nemo show, a particular event (like christmas) they'll have specialized auditions.

btmrider

Original Poster
I know that pretty much any job at Disney could involve guests hitting, cursing, and the like. But there is a difference from being hit by someone and trying to not get hit by a car. Most of the time guests in the cars don't obey the speed limit and will not notice you. I have already been hit by a car's side mirror because he decided to not pay attention.

While I understand the fact that it may be in my mind that it was harder after we had fully learn the dance she had a us split into two groups and have half the group stand along the wall while one did the full dance and then switch. Just to give more room for people. We (other people in my half of the group) actaully did time it and it was just about 5 minutes for the full dance. As for high kicks, that was bad wording on my part. By high kick I meant higher than kicking let's say a soccer ball. Not something that would be get the foot to your head level kind of thing.

btmrider

Original Poster
Just wondering...

Have you ever had any sort of theater/dance experience before?

Learning an audition set is definately easier the second or third time around. The first time you encounter it, it's rather confusing and seems very unnatural.

Maybe you were at a theatrical audition and not a normal character movement casting call? Like, i know when they're casting for shows like the upcoming nemo show, a particular event (like christmas) they'll have specialized auditions.
I have had theater expierence before. Dance sort of. Basically got the in-a-nutshell version for some plays that I did. As for being at the wrong one. I doubt it as it was a Thursday which are character audition days.

WDWKat26

Well don't take it personally darling. I know it seems tough, but like mousemerf said, it usually gets easier the 2nd time around. That really stinks about someone hitting you with their side mirror. I got tackled one time by a 12 year old, so I can somewhat relate. My best advice would be to try again in 6 months. How tall were you measured at the audition?

btmrider

Original Poster
Well don't take it personally darling. I know it seems tough, but like mousemerf said, it usually gets easier the 2nd time around. That really stinks about someone hitting you with their side mirror. I got tackled one time by a 12 year old, so I can somewhat relate. My best advice would be to try again in 6 months. How tall were you measured at the audition?
The side mirror thing is just one of the things that has happened. Also have had stuff go into my eye and require me to wear a patch for a couple of days because of a car. Had a guest push me into another car. Among other things. I was measured 5'11".

WDWKat26

Yikes, people have gotten so nasty and violent. No one cares anymore about manners. 5'11...hmm, that's kind of a tough height range because a lot of people are in it. Is that how tall you really are? Just b/c if you can get into the 5'11 1/2-6ft range you'll have a better chance of getting in.

gonecrazybacksn

They cast the Christmas Parade and some of the Christmas shows.
As for character auditions, its just like everyone above has been saying. Dont give up and it will definitely be easier the 2nd time around ;)

hey guys! i've been gone but now im back...dont get too excited :kiss: do you have a better chance of being cast in entertainment for the fall or spring semester? please someone be blunt...do most people suck that audition or are most of them really good? my sister is a musical theatre major in chicago and she says disney reps go there often and try to hire people, but most of them turn it down. it seems like people who are really serious about dancing/acting don't do the college program at disney? my sister said that most people she work with want to stay in chicago so they can make future connections there...any input?

WDWKat26

hey guys! i've been gone but now im back...dont get too excited :kiss: do you have a better chance of being cast in entertainment for the fall or spring semester? please someone be blunt...do most people suck that audition or are most of them really good? my sister is a musical theatre major in chicago and she says disney reps go there often and try to hire people, but most of them turn it down. it seems like people who are really serious about dancing/acting don't do the college program at disney? my sister said that most people she work with want to stay in chicago so they can make future connections there...any input?

There's no semester that's better than the other for being cast. There are some good people at the audition, then of course there's ones who have never danced a day in their life. If you're REALLY serious about dancing and acting, your best bet would be to try out for Equity and not Characters. I don't know what the situation is in Chicago, so I don't really have any input about that.

joanna71985

I've been following this thread and I've seen people saying that it's easier the second time around auditioning. That's good. I really want to be a character and I've auditioned 2 times already. I probably will be auditioning in December so hopefully it goes well.

MMP

This sounds very different from my character audition. Are you sure you didn't stumble into a dance audition by mistake?!?!
I've heard some people say that in house auditions are tougher than off-property auditions, that could also be a factor. I auditioned in Atlanta and my audition was quite easy, of course I have dance experiance but the routine seemed easy even for those will little dance training.
You can try and complain, it may not get your far, but maybe you should just wait the six monthes and maybe do some practicing, ask your friends in entertainment for some help maybe.

kcw

<TABLE class=scheduletable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=scheduletablerow width=78>August 18, 2006
</TD><TD class=scheduletablerow width=60>

</TD><TD class=scheduletablerow noWrap width=221>The August Audition will be the final opportunity to identify Dancers, Actors, and Vocalists for Holiday Enhancements across Walt Disney World. Seeking more than 50 performers for Full-Time Seasonal work.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
yup, i'm officially depressed... I don't check in until the 23rd....:(

WDWlife

my sister said that most people she work with want to stay in chicago so they can make future connections there...any input?

As an actor in New York with a lots of experience and a member of all the major acting unions (Equity, SAG, Aftra) and who has worked as an assistant to casting directors of Broadway shows... It really depends on your goals.
(This is just a personal observation)
Many performers are happy with a full time career in WDW. And why not, it is consistant pay with benefits and you get to perform everyday. I have been paid to work as an actor for years. But in New York you could go a year or two auditioning everyday and get called back a lot and still not have a job. In markets like New York or Chicago even small, low paying acting jobs are taken by really good performers with good resumes who are currently not in a big project. Thousands of people come to these citys every year to perform but never do. But, if you want to do big projects or you really what to see how good you are, you need to be where the work is. And Disney is a great place to build your confidence and skill and then move into these markets. There is no easy journey and no easy choice when it comes to being a performer. But when the universe turns your way and you get the part... it is unbelieveable.

wbboy29

As an actor in New York with a lots of experience and a member of all the major acting unions (Equity, SAG, Aftra) and who has worked as an assistant to casting directors of Broadway shows... It really depends on your goals.
(This is just a personal observation)
Many performers are happy with a full time career in WDW. And why not, it is consistant pay with benefits and you get to perform everyday. I have been paid to work as an actor for years. But in New York you could go a year or two auditioning everyday and get called back a lot and still not have a job. In markets like New York or Chicago even small, low paying acting jobs are taken by really good performers with good resumes who are currently not in a big project. Thousands of people come to these citys every year to perform but never do. But, if you want to do big projects or you really what to see how good you are, you need to be where the work is. And Disney is a great place to build your confidence and skill and then move into these markets. There is no easy journey and no easy choice when it comes to being a performer. But when the universe turns your way and you get the part... it is unbelieveable.

Well said, very well said

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom