OCVibe Approved by Anaheim City Council.

TP2000

I just Googled...

Peter Ueberroth (spelled correctly) was chosen as the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics commissioner on March 24th, 1979. That was 5 years and 4 months before the Summer Olympics started. Mr. Ueberroth's incredible leadership allowed those LA Olympics to go down in history as the most successful and most well run Olympics ever, a feat that is still used as the benchmark to this day.

The next Los Angeles Summer Olympics opens on July 14th, 2028. That is now 4 years and 9 months away, seven months less time than when Mr. Ueberroth took over for the '84 games.

The current LA '28 chairman is a man named Casey Wasserman, who is a Hollywood media executive. So far, Mr. Wasserman has kept a rather low profile on his plans for the Los Angeles Olympics.

Parteecia

They live in squalor and filth, and the city allows them to because that's somehow "empathetic".
The city has no choice as long as it doesn't have enough housing.

"... It all stems from a landmark 2018 decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in an Idaho case that was binding on California local governments. Judges then decided that it’s unconstitutional to criminally penalize people camping in public when they lack “access to adequate temporary shelter.” ..."

Consumer

"... It all stems from a landmark 2018 decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in an Idaho case that was binding on California local governments. Judges then decided that it’s unconstitutional to criminally penalize people camping in public when they lack “access to adequate temporary shelter.” ..."

Housing will not fix their drug addiction.

TP2000

Agreed that has been a monkey wrench thrown into the works of Western states beholding to the 9th Circuit.

Which is why I was mildly impressed this month when Governor Newsom asked the Supreme Court to take up a challenge to that lower court ruling, in order to force the drug users camping on city streets to stop camping there.

It will be interesting to see if the Supreme Court takes the case, and then how the 9 justices rule on the case.

Last edited:

TP2000

Housing will not fix their drug addiction.

Exactly. If anything, free housing would only enable them to do more drugs, more often, and more freely.

These aren't retired public school librarians trying to stretch their Social Security checks by getting a roommate or two, these are hard core drug addicts and/or people with serious mental health problems that need to be admitted to a mental health hospital ASAP.

And the LA Summer Olympics start in just 4 years, 9 months. Tick, tick, tick....

homeless_la_jg_040423.jpg

SuddenStorm

Exactly. If anything, free housing would only enable them to do more drugs, more often, and more freely.

These aren't retired public school librarians trying to stretch their Social Security checks by getting a roommate or two, these are hard core drug addicts and/or people with serious mental health problems that need to be admitted to a mental health hospital ASAP.

And the LA Summer Olympics start in just 4 years, 9 months. Tick, tick, tick....

homeless_la_jg_040423.jpg

I've heard horror stories of what happened to the hotels the government put the homeless population up in during Covid. Rooms absolutely destroyed.

TP2000

The only '28 event that will be hosted in Anaheim is Volleyball, at the Honda Center.

And directly across the street from the Honda Center is the large and nearly-abandoned ARTIC train station that was built a decade ago for California High Speed Rail that will never arrive.

So there's plenty of train/bus capacity to the Volleyball site if folks don't want to drive or Uber.

348s.jpg

truecoat

I didn’t say the majority were baby boomers, I said they are increasingly becoming homeless and it will get much worse.

TP2000

I didn’t say the majority were baby boomers, I said they are increasingly becoming homeless and it will get much worse.

Which begs the obvious question...

How many of those 225,000 homeless Americans over the age of 55 are addicted to drugs? Methamphetamines, specifically?

I'd wager a great many of them are. That's not to diminish how sad that is, but when there is a drug crisis in this country like we've never seen before, that leads people to make life decisions where this type of housing is acceptable to them if they can keep getting a daily fix of cheap $3 Methamphetamine into their system.

maxresdefault.jpg

denyuntilcaught

I hope LA doesn’t host the 2028 Olympics. There no infrastructure to support this.
That's rather incorrect. As others have mentioned, from an infrastructural perspective LA is one of of the more strongly equipped cities to host, hence why that was a solid factor in it being chosen.

denyuntilcaught

Which begs the obvious question...

How many of those 225,000 homeless Americans over the age of 55 are addicted to drugs? Methamphetamines, specifically?

I'd wager a great many of them are. That's not to diminish how sad that is, but when there is a drug crisis in this country like we've never seen before, that leads people to make life decisions where this type of housing is acceptable to them if they can keep getting a daily fix of cheap $3 Methamphetamine into their system
It's a horrific societal failure of epic proportions, and I'm referring to the country as a whole, not simply LA County. The "LA is ran over by homeless" narrative is a simple one to push, and I'm not going to undercut it, but as a resident (of DTLA!) I do find it a bit sensationalized by those who don't live here. I think one thing that doesn't get mentioned is how and where the encampments are concentrated.

For example, yes, you go on Skid Row and you'll find you almost have exactly the area between Los Angeles and Wall Streets swarming with homeless - but also, that's Skid Row. Go exactly two streets over onto Main near South Park and I've seldomly ran into a homeless person. Same sort of juxtaposition in Hollywood.

Again, not understating the severity of the problem across the country and how it needs to be dealt with, but just saying how It creates an interesting way of living. You know exactly which pockets of the city to not visit, versus the ones you can walk around with a relative sense of safety.

Cannot say the same about San Francisco, though. Rancid place IMO.

Heppenheimer

View attachment 670191

noun

1. a road in which devices for reducing or slowing the flow of traffic have been installed.

Having spent time in Belgium, I can visualize what they have in mind (I'm fairly fluent in Dutch, but this is the first I've ever heard of the term "woonerf"). It would be a residential street that has speed bumps or protruding traffic furniture or shrubbery, to keep traffic slow. What the OCVibe artist rendering looks like is the pedestrian-only shopping streets that most European cities have, which is not the same thing.

... and just because nobody asked, in case anyone wants to know the proper pronunciation, "woon" rhymes with "own" not "moon".

Last edited:

Parteecia

It's a horrific societal failure of epic proportions, and I'm referring to the country as a whole, not simply LA County. The "LA is ran over by homeless" narrative is a simple one to push, and I'm not going to undercut it, but as a resident (of DTLA!) I do find it a bit sensationalized by those who don't live here. I think one thing that doesn't get mentioned is how and where the encampments are concentrated.

For example, yes, you go on Skid Row and you'll find you almost have exactly the area between Los Angeles and Wall Streets swarming with homeless - but also, that's Skid Row. Go exactly two streets over onto Main near South Park and I've seldomly ran into a homeless person. Same sort of juxtaposition in Hollywood.

Again, not understating the severity of the problem across the country and how it needs to be dealt with, but just saying how It creates an interesting way of living. You know exactly which pockets of the city to not visit, versus the ones you can walk around with a relative sense of safety.

Cannot say the same about San Francisco, though. Rancid place IMO.
And the people blaming drugs for homelessness may be confusing cause and effect.

"... In the 2022 book Homelessness is a Housing Problem, the authors studied per capita homelessness rates across the country along with what possible factors might be influencing the rates. They found that high rates of homelessness are caused by shortages of affordable housing, not by mental illness, drug addiction, or poverty."..."

Consumer

And the people blaming drugs for homelessness may be confusing cause and effect.

"... In the 2022 book Homelessness is a Housing Problem, the authors studied per capita homelessness rates across the country along with what possible factors might be influencing the rates. They found that high rates of homelessness are caused by shortages of affordable housing, not by mental illness, drug addiction, or poverty."..."

"Experts."

Of course these people can't afford housing - they're using all their money on drugs.

Parteecia

"Experts."

Of course these people can't afford housing - they're using all their money on drugs.
"... Housing markets operate a bit like rock concerts. Almost everyone can get in when demand and prices are low. But when Taylor Swift comes to town, and far more people want a seat than can get one, the barriers to entry grow, even for the cheapest tickets.

Those with the most hurdles — addiction, mental illness, criminal convictions and poverty, in the case of housing — are most likely to be stuck at the end of the line and shut out of a tight market.

From there, the problems feed off each other. People who lose housing are more likely to increase their drug and alcohol use, according to research by Kushel and others. And experiencing both homelessness and drug addiction — along with mental health issues in many cases — lengthens the time it takes to tackle each of the problems. ..."
“The amount of loathing that you can sense, just by somebody looking at you from across the street, is enough to break your damn soul,” Leffler said. “So if you can imagine having that happen for 24 hours a day, every day, for years and years and years, you’d get f—ing high too.” ...

denyuntilcaught

"Experts."

Writing off homelessness as purely a drug-driven issue is disingenuous and I firmly believe it's an argument used simply to dehumanize the homeless.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that rent in CA is second-highest in the nation, or that the median rent in LA County is 37% higher than the national.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I live in what for most of my lifetime was a "safe" area.

We now have homeless encampments about a mile away (full tent cities) and they wander onto our street and try to either set up camp or just sleep right on our sidewalk outside where we live.

Until a few years ago, we never heard sirens in our neighborhood and now it's constant.

Our car has been broken into (in our driveway) as have our neighbors' and our gate physically broken down to get onto our property. It's frankly terrifying.

I can't go anywhere in LA without seeing homeless people wandering the streets. And I'm not talking downtown LA. I've seen homeless tents when I've driven through West LA and Beverly Hills.

I've stepped over human defecation on the street and seen a lot of public nudity I wish I hadn't as people just stand without clothes on or change in public.

It's... unsustainable.

:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom