October Trip with 2 Infants - HELP

iraca1030

Hi All! Staying at the Boardwalk Villas oct 16-25 (THANKS PAM) I have a a 18mth old son and my wife and I are bringing down our single mom friend and her 19 mth old daughter as a surprise. Lots of questions. Character Breakfasts, which one is best? Any recommendations on what to do with 2 infants and have fun.... Rent a car or shuttle to/from airport? Any help would be appreciated and if anyone is going to be down at the same time and would like to let the kids link up, let me know.
Thanks

Dwarful

Well have fun. Tips include...don't try to do it all. Relax, have fun and enjoy your trip. Take full advantage of Fast Pass and child swap. Hit Fantasyland early. I'd opt for a car service over the shuttle company. Car service will provide car seats and will give you a stop at a grocery store if you want, plus you are the only passengers, no other drop offs or pick ups, meaning you will be at your resort faster.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I would schedule a character breakfast for later in your trip after you have had a chance to see how the kids react to the characters. You can always cancel your PS if necessary. No need to begin your vacation with terrified toddlers.

There are certainly a boatload of logistical concerns, but the most important preparation is mental.
--You will NOT be able to do the park the way you want to.
--You will have to skip lots of things you would like to do.
--You will have to leave a show you are enjoying because of a cranky child, and
--You will have to stop everything to go back to the hotel for a nap.

If you understand this and resolve not to let it ruin your trip, you will have a good time.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
God Bless you!

Well, better you than me! ;)

First, do use a sedan. I suggest Quicksilver who advertizes on this site. The price for the five of you will be cheaper than a shuttle and will deliver you directly.

I think you will have a fair amount of flexibility as you can switch off with two adults going on an attraction with the other watching both little ones. It is good having the "extra" adult, for all three of you.

Check your map and head immediately to the stroller rental. Absolutely necessary for the kids and your backs. If you change parks in the same day, you can transfer your rental. Strollers are also great for shielding sun and if needed, naps can be taken in transit.

Definitely plan on midday naps.

With the children so small, they probably won't be scared of the characters, but test it in the park before doing a pricy character meal. Check on www.allearsnet.com for a listing of the various character sites and who will probably be there. You can also confirm this on checkin.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We took our youngest when she was 18 months and she had a great time. She wasn't afraid of the characters (though her sister was at that age..and older). Definately get a stroller, you could even get a double. Plan on taking a mid day break (unless the kids fall asleep in the stroller, then you can go all day). Definately do the baby swap for those rides you "just have to do".

I'll agree with a car service. Quicksilver is a sponser here and has quickly become the service of choice. Head on down to the transportation thread (sorry, can't recall the correct name) and you will find nothing but praise. (and their prices are very good).

We did Chef Mickey's as our character meal (breakfast), its a buffet and the food is yummy. Plenty there to choose from for the kiddies. Have your cameras ready because it seems (well to me anyway) that the characters spend a little more time with the little ones.

Bring kid friendly snacks to the park; a hungry kid is a cranky kid. Sippie cups & juice boxes are a life saver at this age. The Baby care centers are beautiful & well stocked, don't be afraid to use them.
Here is Deb's FAQ sheet on travelling with infants & toddlers, it has tons of info. Have fun. :wave:

Travelling with infants & toddlers

Upvote 0

ladydancer

About renting strollers at the park....they do not recline. If you think you might have a tired child that needs to recline to rest or take a nap, it would be better to bring your own. Some car service companys will rent to you a stroller that reclines. I'm not sure if Quicksilver has this service or not.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

ladydancer said:
About renting strollers at the park....they do not recline. If you think you might have a tired child that needs to recline to rest or take a nap, it would be better to bring your own...

Good point. It wasn't a problem for my kids, they had no problems whatsoever. :snore:

Upvote 0

waltdisny

All 4 of mine made there first trip before age 2. Here's my tips:

Rent a car! the busses are a real pain if you are dragging strollers, baby packs, and tired kids along. Especially if it's late. The other advantage is you can go to Gooding's Grocery (just east of Down-Town Disney) for more supplies (milk, snacks, diapers, and so on). You can buy these things at the parks/hotel, but supplies are spotty, and the prices high. Parking is free for resort guests.

Take you own strollers. Especially good if the kids can nap in them. At the MK, with strollers, we opt for the ferry over the monorail unless it's not busy.

Don't try to change your kid's sleep cycle just to stay late or go early. You'll just wind up with cranky kids.

We like Chef Mickey's and Pooh's breakfast at the Crystal Palace. You don't have to do just breakfast; we do an early dinner or late lunch sometimes.

Don't do too much. Pixi-dust disolves slowly in the blood stream. Relax, do what you can, and don't sweat the rest.

Don't go every day to the parks, we go one or 2 days then take a park-break and explore the rest of the World. There is plenty to do. Some of the other things we enjoy: Fantasia mini-golf (little ones play free), Down-Town Disney, swimming in the pool at the hotel, going to Fort Wilderness (petting zoo, pony rides, beach).

Kid-swap is great. With the extra adult it will work beautifully: no one has to ride alone all the time.

Best bets to be hits with the small ones: Small World, Dumbo, The People Mover (TTA), Buzz Lightyear, The Country Bears, The Tiki Room, The Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Mexico, Living with the Land, and the Living Seas.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

waltdisny said:
All 4 of mine made there first trip before age 2. Here's my tips:

Rent a car! the busses are a real pain if you are dragging strollers, baby packs, and tired kids along. Especially if it's late. The other advantage is you can go to Gooding's Grocery (just east of Down-Town Disney) for more supplies (milk, snacks, diapers, and so on). You can buy these things at the parks/hotel, but supplies are spotty, and the prices high. Parking is free for resort guests.

The car services will stop at the grocery for you also. If you aren't planning on driving around on your own renting a car could be a waste.

Upvote 0

iraca1030

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone

Great tips!!!! We are really exicted to go. I have been to Disney about 10 times now, my wife only once, and our friend only once so lots to do. We plan on taking it easy, whatever we get done we get done while making lots of time to lounge by the pool and relax.

Thanks Again!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well, we have driven down in our own car and we have flown. We have taken our own strollers and we have rented Disneys. For us, we have decided that we will just rent strollers from now on. But our kids are a bit more flexible on sleeping habits. But for us its definately easier, even w/strollers and backpacks it is easier to use the bus and other disney transportation. It was just a hassle to go from our room, to the parking lot, load the car, buckle the kids, drive to the parks, catch a tram, then go to the boat or monorail. But thats just us, I know some people don't like the bus system so its a matter of choice really.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom