Observations from my recent trip part 2

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
Yesterday I posted the positive experiences of our recent trip. Today, if you don’t mine, I’ll post the negative. The list is shorter and these should really be posted on the “Stupid Guest Tricks” website.
Riding the “Jungle Cruise” I think I was sitting next to Cecil B. DeMille. He had to film everything and kept swinging his camera left to right in front of my face.
Riding it’s a Small World the woman in the seat in front of me thought the phase “Please refrain from flash photography” didn’t apply to her. It was non-stop flashes, kind of reminded me of a ‘fire-fight” I was in Afghanistan a few years ago. I walked off the ride blind.
We walked down to the Haunted Mansion and the “flash lady” from it’s a Small World was in the stretching room with us. Of course she was taking pictures as fast as she could. A female cast member, I think her name was Trudy, got right in the flash lady’s face and told her “Stop it, this attraction is very dark, you will blind someone and they might get hurt, you are very rude!” Several of us in the stretch room thanked Trudy.
When we last went to WDW in 2007 Spaceship Earth was closed. After reading all the reports of how it had changed, I wanted to ride it and see for myself. I guess the man in the seat in front of my son and me thought he was a better narrator that Judi Dench. Throughout the ride I had to hear “Look that man is making paper,” “see the Romans had a network of roads” etc. When we got off we walked around to the front and got back on just so we could experience it with a single narrator.
I’m 6 feet tall and Weight 200 lbs but somehow I ‘m invisible to people driving those power chair scooters. They kept running into me.
Okay, I’m done venting.
We really did have a great time. The cast members were all outstanding as were 99% of the guests we encountered and I’m already planning my next trip. Thanks for listening.

mastif

Yesterday I posted the positive experiences of our recent trip. Today, if you don’t mine, I’ll post the negative. The list is shorter and these should really be posted on the “Stupid Guest Tricks” website.
Riding the “Jungle Cruise” I think I was sitting next to Cecil B. DeMille. He had to film everything and kept swinging his camera left to right in front of my face.
Riding it’s a Small World the woman in the seat in front of me thought the phase “Please refrain from flash photography” didn’t apply to her. It was non-stop flashes, kind of reminded me of a ‘fire-fight” I was in Afghanistan a few years ago. I walked off the ride blind.
We walked down to the Haunted Mansion and the “flash lady” from it’s a Small World was in the stretching room with us. Of course she was taking pictures as fast as she could. A female cast member, I think her name was Trudy, got right in the flash lady’s face and told her “Stop it, this attraction is very dark, you will blind someone and they might get hurt, you are very rude!” Several of us in the stretch room thanked Trudy.
When we last went to WDW in 2007 Spaceship Earth was closed. After reading all the reports of how it had changed, I wanted to ride it and see for myself. I guess the man in the seat in front of my son and me thought he was a better narrator that Judi Dench. Throughout the ride I had to hear “Look that man is making paper,” “see the Romans had a network of roads” etc. When we got off we walked around to the front and got back on just so we could experience it with a single narrator.
I’m 6 feet tall and Weight 200 lbs but somehow I ‘m invisible to people driving those power chair scooters. They kept running into me.
Okay, I’m done venting.
We really did have a great time. The cast members were all outstanding as were 99% of the guests we encountered and I’m already planning my next trip. Thanks for listening.

Man it must be great to work an attraction like the HM where being rude and upfront is part ofthe role ;-)

I think there is always going to be a problem with people and their cameras. I can understand if it was just a few, but non stop is crazy!

I know what you mean about thepeople in the ecvs! I also heard they get to go to the front of just about allthe lines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjSwL-9Bzf8&feature=related <-----LOL!

foreverbelle

Yeah for the CM saying something. I agree I hate when it is constant...how unlucky of you to get stuck with her twice.

So what did you actually think of the new SSE? Or did you post that yesterday and I just missed it?

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
Yeah for the CM saying something. I agree I hate when it is constant...how unlucky of you to get stuck with her twice.

So what did you actually think of the new SSE? Or did you post that yesterday and I just missed it?

I guess I’m a purist; I liked the “old” SSE better. My wife and son liked the new version however especially where their pictures are inserted during the decent.

rsoxguy

The Cecil B. DeMille crack made me laugh. How better to deal with dopey people than with sarcastic humor? It beats anger any day.
By the way, thank you very much for your service in Afghanistan.

bugsbunny

Flash photography and video camera lights can easily divided into 2 distinct categories of obnoxiousness.

One would be the people that just literally have no idea that other people are on this planet, too. They don't hold doors; they let their kids run around the restaurant while they sit at the table eating as if nothing is amiss; they don't understand what it means to queue or "get in line"; that trash cans are within 20 feet of you and I don't mean the ground; and don't realize that other people around you don't want to hear your profanity laced diatribe about how another cashier at Walmart is "trying to destroy your career". These people are hopeless and would never stop to listen to the "no flash...." message nor do they think that the reason they have this message is because EVERYONE else doesn't want to see your flash 100+ times on the ride. Face it, these people actually think that EVERYONE ELSE is obnoxious since they are getting dirty looks and people telling them to turn it off!!

Then there is the 2nd group. These are the poor souls that just don't know how to even turn off their flash on the camera! You can easily spot them since EVERY picture they take has that blinkty-blinkty-blinkty flash that you use to reduce redeye, not for taking taking pictures under low lighting...while moving. :hammer: They also have no idea that a flash will only be usable at about 8-10 feet even with a good camera. So when they get their 40+ pictures of IASW developed, they think the camera is the problem! :ROFLOL:

RiversideBunny

... These are the poor souls that just don't know how to even turn off their flash on the camera! ...

I think that's the majority of the problem at WDW. Most people just leave their Point and Shoot camera set on Automatic and have never bothered to learn how to turn off the flash when necessary.

It's not astro physics but a lot of people don't want to fool with learning that.

IMHO
:)

worldfanatic

I find if you position your elbow so that that their face will plow into it as they approach you, somehow, they miraculously see you and turn away.
I'll step aside, but my sharp elbow remains pointed right at their nose.
I'm not kidding either............................. it works.

Rob562

You know, I could have sworn that Small World was the one ride-through attraction that flash photography was allowed. (though it doesn't forgive if people are taking the flash right in your face)

I was surprised when I heard the announcement at the Festival of the Lion King that flash photography *was* allowed. (though video camera lighting is not allowed)

-Rob

Lucky

Of course - they could drive those scooters a lot faster if they didn't have thousands of pedestrians getting in their way.

Actually I think it's just a minority of them that drive those things aggressivley. But they are the ones that leave an impression.

Susan Savia

Agree with you on the scooters. I dislike being run down by a stroller too.
It being run up the back of my foot or having it S-q-u-e-e-z-e-d into a tiny space beside me on the sidewalk to watch the parade... :eek:

naoboo

I personally hate using flash photography unless I have the right equipment - DSLR with attached flash and reflectors - and don't understand why people keep it on if they don't know how to use it properly. Pictures often end up washed out or with noticeable bright spots! Ooh, but I should stop before I get into a long-winded art student rant. :zipit:

Anyway, one time when I was on the Universe of Energy, a cast member actually paused the audio to remind people not to use flash photography. So not only is it an annoyance to the eyes - it can ruin the experience for the rest of the guests. :(

BillyBuff

Not as bad as the person in front of us on SSE that was talking on her cellphone and it certainly wasn't in a low tone.

Afghanistan? Army or Marines? Army 11Bravo here....hoooah!

I'm 5'8" and 190 lbs and I'm invisible to the baby strollers. One time I got hit from the back and I fell backwards practically sitting on the kid but I somehow got blamed for falling down on their kid! :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom