Observations from Disneyland Paris

Bolna

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I am just back from a trip to Disneyland Paris and wanted to report a few observations.

Parks:
  • Disneyland Park: Wow, I had forgotten how beautiful this park is! I could have spent days in there without going on any rides. But the rides were a pretty good addition anyway. :) After having been at WDW once a year in the past years, I realized how many attractions are better or just prettier at DLP than the MK. Peter Pan even had quite a thrill factor to it!
  • Walt Disney Studios: Looks much better due to the Towe of Terror addition, but still only is a nice diversion, not really a park in its own. To be honest, I did not manage to see everything I would have wanted to see there (I missed Cinemagic, Rock 'n Roller Coaster and the Stitch experience), but time in the Disneyland Park seemed just more valuable.
  • Big Thunder Mountain: A really great ride which makes me laugh. I also got a "bonus ride" late Monday evening just before the park closed. When we pulled into the station no one was waiting to board the seats towards the end of the train where I was sitting and I got to just stay put and depart for a second ride.
  • Tower of Terror: This was my first trip to DLP since this was built and it has done so much for WDS. There is actually something pretty to look at in that park! And the ride is great, too. When I rode ToT in DCA I did not like it that much and preferred the one in WDW, so I was very anxious, knowing that the WDS version is the same as the DCA version. But I loved it a lot! It seemed faster to me than at WDW and I loved the "ghost mirror effect"!
  • Space Mountain: This was my favourite ride in 1995 - and I tried so much to like it this time again, but just couldn't. It gave me a horrible headache from throwing my head around so much, the music was nearly not audible and I just liked the old story so much more...
  • Toy Story Playland: It looks cute but even on an uncrowded day the lines were far too long due to the low capacity. I am very sorry that they used money on this. But I must admit that I was a bit excited to see the Ratatouille benches...
  • Extra Magic Hours: They were great: from 8-10 every morning at Disneyland Park. We managed to be in the park every morning shortly after 8 am and walked on all the rides in Fantasyland, even got to stay on Dumbo for a second ride because there wasn't a line.
  • Castle: The castle was being refurbished during our trip. I really did not mind that at all, it did not look to bad because the top wasn't covered and I am just happy for any refurbishing happening at DLP!
Hotels:
  • Newport Bay Club: We stayed in a regular lakeside room here. I really loved the room decor there, it was so bright. The room was in an ok shape, but not perfect. We had a much worse room at the Sequoia Lodge four years ago, so I was quite happy. But it was still obvious that the room was in need of refurbishment. Also the outside of the hotel shows lots of wear and tear.
  • Sequoia Lodge: We did not stay there, but ended up visiting daily, especially for drinks in the bar in the evening. I stayed there in the past, but had such a bad room the last time that we did not return. But I still love the general feeling of the hotel and will consider returning next time when the rooms are all redone!
  • Walking to the parks: The biggest selling point for the Disney resorts is that you can walk to the parks. It does add to all the walking one does, but it is a great way to arrive in the morning!
  • Hotel Breakfast: This is the thing I don't like about the Disney hotels. We had chosen assigned breakfast times between 7 am and 8 am and on the first day it was ok since we got to eat in a still pretty empty Cape Cod. On the second day we were however sent to a conference room which was crowded and had too many tables. Not a nice breakfast. The last day we had breakfast at the Plaza Inn and that was at least again a beautiful place. And they were so nice to give us a table a bit earlier than our reservation. It wasn't really sooo bad, but it is still one of the least enjoyable parts fo a DLP trip.
Food:
  • Walt's: This was a fantastic meal in the most beautiful restaurant. It was our last meal of the trip and I was glad that I did not eat there at an earlie point on our trip, because everything else would have paled in comparison. We had lunch at 12:15 pm and got a table overlooking Main Street. It was quite the perfect meal.
  • Agrabah Cafe: This is a buffet influenced by North African cuisine, think couscous, kebab etc. There were also a lot of salads. It is a perfect fit for Adventureland in DLP (and would be quite at home at Morocco in Epcot). The place was pretty busy. The food was delicious and there was a large selection on the buffet. I am normally not a fan of buffets, but this one was really good! They also had very sweet mint tea which was served in beautiful metall tea pots and small glasses to drink from.
  • Counter service food: I had food from Main Street Deli, Mr Toad's and Cowboy Barbecue. The food was just slightly ok. However, the thing that got me was how expensive it was for what it was. I really can't understand why they do that. I am sure this only makes people to bring food from home. I would think that if the food was better, they would be able to sell more. And it was very difficult to find some kind of snack that wasn't a pastry or a bag of chips. Oh, and the price of drinks is just ridiculous!

General:
  • Disney characters: I did not join in the long long long lines in the park, but had chance encounters in the lobbys of Disneyland Hotel and Hotel New York when I walked back to the hotel for a mid-day break and wanted to see the lobbies. The lobbies were nearly empty and there were Eyeore and Chip and Dale in DLH and Minnie and Mickey at HNY. During lunch at Cowboy Cookout lots of characters came out as well: "Farmer" Mickey and Minnie, Woody, Goofy. It wasn't crowded and it was lovely to see people being just surprised that Mickey was saying hi while they were having lunch.
  • Weather: brilliant sunshine getting warmer every day, the most beautiful spring weather! And I saw all the cherry trees and magnolias in full bloom! The parks were so pretty!
  • Cast Members: In the past I had often not so magical experiences with CMs, they seemed so little enthusiastic about their job. This time I saw so many who really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Some were really into their roles and I had a nice conversation with one working in the Sequia Lodge shop. I was wondering wether this isn't a new generation of CMs who grew up with going to DLP as kids themselves?
  • Shareholders' Club: What a great deal! I really enjoyed all the discounts for merchandise and table service dining. And getting coffee (and really good coffee even) at 9 am with a delicious pastry filled with nuts in Salon Mickey (a small private lounge for shareholders at the entrance to Main Street) was just perfect!
  • Maintenance: this really bothered me on previous trips that you see that they don't keep everything looking new and shiny. And I still saw those cases on this trip. The lighthouse in front of Newport Bayclub, the pirate ship etc. However, I tried to go in with the mindset that I knew it would be that way and that I should rather focus on the good things. And then I found out that it was much better than I expected. The good thing is that Disneyland Park is just so incredibly beautiful in the whole concept, that it does not matter so much if things ren't perfect.

I hope some you might find this interesting. If anyone has a question, just ask ahead. :)

DisneyManiac27

i've been going to DLP every year for a long time, and i totally agree with you about the Magic KIngdom park, it is so beautiful even without the rides and the theming is amazing!

WDW1974

Hi everyone, I am just back from a trip to Disneyland Paris and wanted to report a few observations.

Parks:
  • Disneyland Park: Wow, I had forgotten how beautiful this park is! I could have spent days in there without going on any rides. But the rides were a pretty good addition anyway. :) After having been at WDW once a year in the past years, I realized how many attractions are better or just prettier at DLP than the MK. Peter Pan even had quite a thrill factor to it!
So true. I honestly don't think there are any attractions that MK and DLP share that aren't significantly better at DLP. And the parks is so beautiful.
  • Walt Disney Studios: Looks much better due to the Towe of Terror addition, but still only is a nice diversion, not really a park in its own. To be honest, I did not manage to see everything I would have wanted to see there (I missed Cinemagic, Rock 'n Roller Coaster and the Stitch experience), but time in the Disneyland Park seemed just more valuable.
I agree that DSP is very weak. Easily the worst park Disney has ever built, but I do think you missed three of the best things there. Cinemagique is the park's best attraction, RnRC is a better version of O-Town and Stitch is the best of the LCI program type attractions.
  • Big Thunder Mountain: A really great ride which makes me laugh. I also got a "bonus ride" late Monday evening just before the park closed. When we pulled into the station no one was waiting to board the seats towards the end of the train where I was sitting and I got to just stay put and depart for a second ride.
  • Tower of Terror: This was my first trip to DLP since this was built and it has done so much for WDS. There is actually something pretty to look at in that park! And the ride is great, too. When I rode ToT in DCA I did not like it that much and preferred the one in WDW, so I was very anxious, knowing that the WDS version is the same as the DCA version. But I loved it a lot! It seemed faster to me than at WDW and I loved the "ghost mirror effect"!
  • Space Mountain: This was my favourite ride in 1995 - and I tried so much to like it this time again, but just couldn't. It gave me a horrible headache from throwing my head around so much, the music was nearly not audible and I just liked the old story so much more...
  • Toy Story Playland: It looks cute but even on an uncrowded day the lines were far too long due to the low capacity. I am very sorry that they used money on this. But I must admit that I was a bit excited to see the Ratatouille benches...
  • Extra Magic Hours: They were great: from 8-10 every morning at Disneyland Park. We managed to be in the park every morning shortly after 8 am and walked on all the rides in Fantasyland, even got to stay on Dumbo for a second ride because there wasn't a line.
  • Castle: The castle was being refurbished during our trip. I really did not mind that at all, it did not look to bad because the top wasn't covered and I am just happy for any refurbishing happening at DLP!
ToT is identical at DCA and DSP as far as the rides go. I enjoy them both, but prefer WDW's original (see a positive WDW comment!:eek::drevil::king:)

Space Mountain is a great ride, but they do need to do something about its rough ride. Last time, I rode in the front row and it felt much better than a ride in the middle a few days earlier. That thing can cause brain damage.

Toy Story Land really is an abomination (wasn't open yet on my last visit, but watched it getting ready and have seen construction start in HKDL). This kind of crap simply shouldn't be acceptable in Disney Parks in the 21st century.

Hotels:
  • Newport Bay Club: We stayed in a regular lakeside room here. I really loved the room decor there, it was so bright. The room was in an ok shape, but not perfect. We had a much worse room at the Sequoia Lodge four years ago, so I was quite happy. But it was still obvious that the room was in need of refurbishment. Also the outside of the hotel shows lots of wear and tear.
  • Sequoia Lodge: We did not stay there, but ended up visiting daily, especially for drinks in the bar in the evening. I stayed there in the past, but had such a bad room the last time that we did not return. But I still love the general feeling of the hotel and will consider returning next time when the rooms are all redone!
  • Walking to the parks: The biggest selling point for the Disney resorts is that you can walk to the parks. It does add to all the walking one does, but it is a great way to arrive in the morning!
  • Hotel Breakfast: This is the thing I don't like about the Disney hotels. We had chosen assigned breakfast times between 7 am and 8 am and on the first day it was ok since we got to eat in a still pretty empty Cape Cod. On the second day we were however sent to a conference room which was crowded and had too many tables. Not a nice breakfast. The last day we had breakfast at the Plaza Inn and that was at least again a beautiful place. And they were so nice to give us a table a bit earlier than our reservation. It wasn't really sooo bad, but it is still one of the least enjoyable parts fo a DLP trip.
I had one of my worst Disney hotel experiences anywhere at Newport Beach, so I would never stay there again.

I do love the look and feel of SL, even though it certainly isn't like the WL, which some USA guests seem to expect. The rooms are all being redone at SL right now, so generally that's a place where I'd stay, but I tend to stay in Paris now and take the train out to DLP. I love the city and the food choices and culture ... and Disney really doesn't maintain its Paris hotels at all (worse than WDW ... yes, another positive ... or back-handed compliment for WDW that no one will read here, sadly since they need to post 975 times about the MK's new Mansion queue or the wood chips and grass coming to TSFKaPI!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Food:
  • Walt's: This was a fantastic meal in the most beautiful restaurant. It was our last meal of the trip and I was glad that I did not eat there at an earlie point on our trip, because everything else would have paled in comparison. We had lunch at 12:15 pm and got a table overlooking Main Street. It was quite the perfect meal.
  • Agrabah Cafe: This is a buffet influenced by North African cuisine, think couscous, kebab etc. There were also a lot of salads. It is a perfect fit for Adventureland in DLP (and would be quite at home at Morocco in Epcot). The place was pretty busy. The food was delicious and there was a large selection on the buffet. I am normally not a fan of buffets, but this one was really good! They also had very sweet mint tea which was served in beautiful metall tea pots and small glasses to drink from.
  • Counter service food: I had food from Main Street Deli, Mr Toad's and Cowboy Barbecue. The food was just slightly ok. However, the thing that got me was how expensive it was for what it was. I really can't understand why they do that. I am sure this only makes people to bring food from home. I would think that if the food was better, they would be able to sell more. And it was very difficult to find some kind of snack that wasn't a pastry or a bag of chips. Oh, and the price of drinks is just ridiculous!
I love Walt's. The food, the service and the ambience are all excellent. It is a must on each and every DLP visit.

Have never done Agrabah Cafe because it was never open on any of my visits until the last one where I finally got to walk thru it. Good to know the food is tasty. I am not a fan of buffets, either ... but make exceptions in certain cases.

Never done Main Street Deli or Cowboy Cookout (have a friend from the UK who raves about it though). Done Toad's 2-3 times over the years. It's always OK for a basic chicken sandwich or fish and chips and I like the decor a lot. But it isn't anything special.

General:
  • Disney characters: I did not join in the long long long lines in the park, but had chance encounters in the lobbys of Disneyland Hotel and Hotel New York when I walked back to the hotel for a mid-day break and wanted to see the lobbies. The lobbies were nearly empty and there were Eyeore and Chip and Dale in DLH and Minnie and Mickey at HNY. During lunch at Cowboy Cookout lots of characters came out as well: "Farmer" Mickey and Minnie, Woody, Goofy. It wasn't crowded and it was lovely to see people being just surprised that Mickey was saying hi while they were having lunch.
  • Weather: brilliant sunshine getting warmer every day, the most beautiful spring weather! And I saw all the cherry trees and magnolias in full bloom! The parks were so pretty!
  • Cast Members: In the past I had often not so magical experiences with CMs, they seemed so little enthusiastic about their job. This time I saw so many who really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Some were really into their roles and I had a nice conversation with one working in the Sequia Lodge shop. I was wondering wether this isn't a new generation of CMs who grew up with going to DLP as kids themselves?
  • Shareholders' Club: What a great deal! I really enjoyed all the discounts for merchandise and table service dining. And getting coffee (and really good coffee even) at 9 am with a delicious pastry filled with nuts in Salon Mickey (a small private lounge for shareholders at the entrance to Main Street) was just perfect!
  • Maintenance: this really bothered me on previous trips that you see that they don't keep everything looking new and shiny. And I still saw those cases on this trip. The lighthouse in front of Newport Bayclub, the pirate ship etc. However, I tried to go in with the mindset that I knew it would be that way and that I should rather focus on the good things. And then I found out that it was much better than I expected. The good thing is that Disneyland Park is just so incredibly beautiful in the whole concept, that it does not matter so much if things ren't perfect.
I hope some you might find this interesting. If anyone has a question, just ask ahead. :)

Sounds like you had a great time overall. Sorry, I totally missed the thread ... that can happen when you're on one of the foreign boards as most of the folks here won't comment on any park they have no intention of visiting except to rip it as compared to WDW, The Place Where Magic Lives and Dreams Come True and Now It's Time To Celebrate The Magic, The Memories and YOU!:ROFLOL:

I've seen the characters in the lobbies at DLP often looking very bored. I danced with Goofy in the Hotel NY's lobby my last time :)eek: ... I know!!!)

Unfortunately, DLP suffers from maintainance issues (although I found them much better from the 15th Anniversary on than before) ... and the two really bad things you mentioned, Lighthouse at NBC and Pirate Ship in DLP, are both about to get fixed ... actually, the ship is in such a state of disrepair (letting it sit untouched for almost two decades will do that) that it is being replaced by a totally new one.

Anyway, great to hear your thoughts ... wouldn't expect much action on the thread here ... I would have posted in the WDW Board with a few small comparisons to The Timeshare Kingdom of the World.

Bolna

Original Poster
So true. I honestly don't think there are any attractions that MK and DLP share that aren't significantly better at DLP. And the parks is so beautiful.

I don't care very much for Phantom Manor, I think Haunted Mansion is more fun. There is a great ghost town scene at the end of PM, but I think the cheerful singing in the graveyard scene on HM is more my thing. Also, I am not sure wether the audio just did not work, but there wasn't any ghost host.

I agree that DSP is very weak. Easily the worst park Disney has ever built, but I do think you missed three of the best things there. Cinemagique is the park's best attraction, RnRC is a better version of O-Town and Stitch is the best of the LCI program type attractions.

I know that I missed out on something and I was a bit sad about that. We just had nothing to do and did not want to wait around another hour until the next Cinemagique show (which I think is a wonderful show and which works so well in two languages) and Stich had technical difficulties. We still had a headache from Space Mountain, so did not want to make it worse on RnRC. I have heard a few people say that it is better than at WDW, but I don't really know why. WDW's has a storyline, I don't remember WDS's having any. It's been a long time since I was on that coaster, so I have only vague memories...

ToT is identical at DCA and DSP as far as the rides go. I enjoy them both, but prefer WDW's original (see a positive WDW comment!:eek::drevil::king:)

Wow - a positive comment about WDW!! But you hide it on the DLP board... :lookaroun

I think what really made me like it so much in Paris was that on my first ride there we had a bunch of French teenagers on the elevators who just had so much fun playing along that they got everyone else laughing! I also really like the scene when you can see yourself in the mirror just as white shapes. That was pretty cool!

What I did not like was the loading system. I felt that my waittime from library to elevator in the boiler room was much longer than at WDW. And they did not even fill up the library with people.

Space Mountain is a great ride, but they do need to do something about its rough ride. Last time, I rode in the front row and it felt much better than a ride in the middle a few days earlier. That thing can cause brain damage.

So there can be something done about the roughness of the coaster?? On our first visit in 1995, my sister and I rode Space Mountain during a version of EMH four times in a row without ever getting off. I was very much afraid that me being 16 years older was the reason for feeling so lousy after just one ride. But perhaps it was smoother then?

Toy Story Land really is an abomination (wasn't open yet on my last visit, but watched it getting ready and have seen construction start in HKDL). This kind of crap simply shouldn't be acceptable in Disney Parks in the 21st century.

I agree - and people stand in line for 60 minutes to get on the Racer thing. I have problems to understand the long long line for Crush but that is at least a really fun ride that my local fairground does not have.

I had one of my worst Disney hotel experiences anywhere at Newport Beach, so I would never stay there again.

I do love the look and feel of SL, even though it certainly isn't like the WL, which some USA guests seem to expect. The rooms are all being redone at SL right now, so generally that's a place where I'd stay, but I tend to stay in Paris now and take the train out to DLP. I love the city and the food choices and culture ... and Disney really doesn't maintain its Paris hotels at all (worse than WDW ... yes, another positive ... or back-handed compliment for WDW that no one will read here, sadly since they need to post 975 times about the MK's new Mansion queue or the wood chips and grass coming to TSFKaPI!

After having travelled quite a bit in the US (and not only to Florida) in the recent ten years I realized what a strange hybrid those DLP hotels are between American and European hotel standards. And they aren't as themed as WDW hotels. I think they have a lot of potential, but agree with your issue with maintenance. I have read that all of the hotels will get refurbished in the coming years and I hope they have learned a lesson and will not let things decay as much as they did. I have seen pictures of the new SL rooms and the bathrooms seem to have been completely redone.

I can see that staying in Paris can be an option for some. However, I have spent enough time in my life commuting on trains that having to take the RER in the morning to get to DLP would be very unmagical to me. I just love being able to walk to the parks!

I love Walt's. The food, the service and the ambience are all excellent. It is a must on each and every DLP visit.

Will be for me in the future as well. I am still amazed how wonderful it was!

Have never done Agrabah Cafe because it was never open on any of my visits until the last one where I finally got to walk thru it. Good to know the food is tasty. I am not a fan of buffets, either ... but make exceptions in certain cases.

I think it was the 1995 trip when the whole area was still a bazar with a tiny oriental tea shop. We had mint tea there and arabian pastries and thought it was the most wonderful spot in the park. Then it seemed to have been closed for ages and I was so pleased to see that they still have the same tea counter there and still serve mint tea in beautiful tea pots. I was thinking what a great fit that restaurant would be for the Moroccon pavillion in Epcot. But then it might go the same way as the Norwegian buffet in Akershus or even Biergarten which has chicken schnitzel - a dish nearly unknown here in Germany - because more authentic pork (or even the real thing: veal) schnitzel might be too scary.

Never done Main Street Deli or Cowboy Cookout (have a friend from the UK who raves about it though). Done Toad's 2-3 times over the years. It's always OK for a basic chicken sandwich or fish and chips and I like the decor a lot. But it isn't anything special.

Main Street Deli isn't really a place you need to eat at (but I hope you had a look inside, it is very well themed). But I have loved Cowboy Cookout since my first trip. The ribs aren't great, but since there are so few places that sell American barbecue in Europe, it is great to get that type of food. And I love it for the fact that the food fits the theme! It also has great outdoor seating and due to the fact that it is hidden in the corner of Frontierland, it seems much less crowded than other places.

Sounds like you had a great time overall. Sorry, I totally missed the thread ... that can happen when you're on one of the foreign boards as most of the folks here won't comment on any park they have no intention of visiting except to rip it as compared to WDW, The Place Where Magic Lives and Dreams Come True and Now It's Time To Celebrate The Magic, The Memories and YOU!:ROFLOL:

I've seen the characters in the lobbies at DLP often looking very bored. I danced with Goofy in the Hotel NY's lobby my last time :)eek: ... I know!!!)

:eek: I am amazed that you admit to this in public, but then I guess due to the reasons you explained above, you feel this is a pretty safe place and no one will find out about it. :lookaroun:D

Unfortunately, DLP suffers from maintainance issues (although I found them much better from the 15th Anniversary on than before) ... and the two really bad things you mentioned, Lighthouse at NBC and Pirate Ship in DLP, are both about to get fixed ... actually, the ship is in such a state of disrepair (letting it sit untouched for almost two decades will do that) that it is being replaced by a totally new one.

Maintenance is stil a problem, but my impression was as well, that 2011 and 2007 were much better than 2003. I hope they have learned something from the past and won't let get things as bad as they were.

You seem to have read the same reports of the "Fan Event" DLP held last Friday as me. When I read about it, I was thinking about what you had been talking about with regard to the Dream christening cruise press event. It seems that DLP did go a similar route, but did not mix the bloggers/websites with the media, but made a seperate event for them. Any thoughts about that? It has created quite a lot of reporting about the event on the DLP websites...

Anyway, great to hear your thoughts ... wouldn't expect much action on the thread here ... I would have posted in the WDW Board with a few small comparisons to The Timeshare Kingdom of the World.

Oh, I rather don't want people to get mad at me, so I wasn't daredevil enough to post something more or less off topic on the WDW board. It was a big enough shock when my suggestion that people might want to live in urban areas was met with the accusation that this was as bad as forcing everyone to chain smoke.... :rolleyes:

But thanks a lot for reading along and replying!

I really liked reading your report on Disneyland Paris. I've been hearing of all the maintenance issues and saw some pictures, which was making me not want to go, but I feel like I want to visit now!

My sister just spent a day at Disneyland Paris! so jealous. she's not a Disney fan like I am, but I'm curious for when she comes back and what she thought of DLP.

Bolna

Original Poster
I really liked reading your report on Disneyland Paris. I've been hearing of all the maintenance issues and saw some pictures, which was making me not want to go, but I feel like I want to visit now!

My sister just spent a day at Disneyland Paris! so jealous. she's not a Disney fan like I am, but I'm curious for when she comes back and what she thought of DLP.

Thanks for reading! :)

I know what you mean about not wanting to go because of the maintenance issues. I was feeling the same way after my 2003 and 2007 visits. Even though 2007 was better in the parks, we had the most horrible hotel room. But then I was encouraged by some posters here (especially WDW1974) to give it another try and I am so happy that I did!

The problem with those pictures of bad maintence issues is that in the picture you see only the one thing that is wrong, e.g. the rotting pirate ship. But then if you are in the park there are million things around it that look great and wonderful. And I tried to focus on these instead of searching out the bad spots. That really worked! There still are issues at DLP, but I have the feeling that they learned their lesson and at least try to stay on top of things in order to not let it get to the point where any refurbishment becomes really expensive. They are repainting the castle at the moment and it sounds like it will look wonderful when it is redone.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Particularly if you have never been, you should. The MK-style park is by far the most beautiful of them all. And the beauty is not undone by the maintainance issues at all. The visuals are stunning in every land all over the park. The attractions, because they are all relatively new in comparison to their clones in the US, are generally improvements, either in show, traffic flow, or both.

There is indeed evidence of cheapness in operations as well as maintainance and upkeep that you'll notice, but it isn't terrible, and it isn't everywhere. The main problem with the MK park is really that they haven't added anything to it since shortly after the place opened. It has roughly the same compliment of attractions as it did 18 years ago, with the exception of Buzz Lighyear replacing Timekeeper. But if you've never been before, that won't be a problem for you!

Over at the Studios park, maintenance issues hit you in the face with respect to the Tram tour. Other than Catastrophe Canyon (which appeared to be in good shape), the ride was in shambles. Trams didn't work, effects were dead, and there was nothing to see. But the real cheapness in the Studios park comes through in 1) the complete lack of theming in virtually the whole park except Toy Story Playland, and 2), the pointless attractions in Toy Story Playland that destroy the wonderful theming of the area. In that park, just run from attration to attraction, and you'll have a great time (skipping the tram tour and Toy Story Playland attractions).

amjt660

Bolna
Thanks for the report on DLP
We are considering a first time trip in August and appreciate the viewpoints.

Max

The Empress Lilly

Lovely Report.

I must echo the comment on Space. That thing hurts. I got bruised all over my elbows and arms, you just get tossed around from left to right so much. Shame, it is such a great ride, it could be perfect!

DLP is a gorgeous park. Really quite something! So much of it puts WDW to shame!

The Studios are a complete disgrace, as is the village. What a cheap bungled mess. The one redeeming factor is that it has some really great rides. ToT, R'n'RC, some shows. I've never been on Crush' Coaster, that one has lines well over an hour from opening to closing. So in effect it might as well not have been there to me.

Bolna

Original Poster
Bolna
Thanks for the report on DLP
We are considering a first time trip in August and appreciate the viewpoints.

Max

Thanks! It's good to know that it is helpful to someone!

Lovely Report.

I must echo the comment on Space. That thing hurts. I got bruised all over my elbows and arms, you just get tossed around from left to right so much. Shame, it is such a great ride, it could be perfect!

DLP is a gorgeous park. Really quite something! So much of it puts WDW to shame!

The Studios are a complete disgrace, as is the village. What a cheap bungled mess. The one redeeming factor is that it has some really great rides. ToT, R'n'RC, some shows. I've never been on Crush' Coaster, that one has lines well over an hour from opening to closing. So in effect it might as well not have been there to me.

Thanks!

I have been on Space in 1995 and 1997 many times and it was a fantastic ride. But I did like the original version better and at the moment it is just too uncomfortable to ride. I agree with you: such a shame!

The WDS are a difficult thing. I think there are some good attractions. Cinemagique and Animagique are very unique shows and then rides you mentioned. I agree with you on Crush's lines issue. I got the tip to enter the line just a few minutes before the park is about to close. Supposedly they tend to just leave the wait time estimate at the high number to discourage people to get in line so that they won't have to work through a full 60, 70 or even 80 minute line before they can close the ride. We got in line about 10 minutes before park closing and waited 30 minutes even though the wait time posted outside was higher. A good indicator appears to be: if the line starts under the roof, it will be 40 minutes or less. I think it is worth that time to wait at least one time to experience it, it is a very cute concept. The good thing about the line is also that it is actually moving all the time since the ride loads constantly and there isn't any Fastpass which gets to go ahead of you. Makes waiting much more enjoyable!

KCBroadway

My husband and I took our 1st trip to DLP last June. Overall, we LOVED it. We go to WDW and DL regularly so were quite curious what to expect. I must say that Crush's Coaster was one of my favorite attractions from the trip. It was such a fun ride and we hope it makes it's way to one of the US parks someday. We went 1st thing one morning so the line wasn't too bad. We had waited the previous day for like 40 min. It was worth it ha ha. I agree with all the comments about Space Mountain. I felt it would have been so much more enjoyable had I not gotten a huge headache after. I love intense coasters, but that was too much.

tomm4004

Was there last Thursday, first visit since '02. Cool and windy. Enjoyed Blue Bayou. And that little kids boat ride. We loved it. Yes, Space Mtn. is too rough. I thought maybe it's just because I'm getting old. It rattled my brain. Got to ride original Star Tours one last time. Didn't the geysers beyond Phantom Manor used to have water?

Pantipan

Walking to the parks: The biggest selling point for the Disney resorts is that you can walk to the parks. It does add to all the walking one does, but it is a great way to arrive in the morning!

I'm totally agree with your remarks.
But this, it's just so true.
Compare to WDW, walking from the hotel to the park is so good, you stay in the Disney Mood !

Buses at WDW break the magic. Little efforts in decorating buses could do so much !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom