NUROAD WDW ULTIMATE TRIP REPORT: July 9-16, 2005

READERS - ARE YOU READY? This is the ultimate trip report!
From Saturday, July 9th to Saturday, July 16th, my family enjoyed the parks, attractions and Polynesian resort at Walt Disney World Resort! Thanks to WDWmagic.com for sharing this report with all of you!

To see NuRoad WDW pictures, go to www.ryanfaison.com

SATURDAY, JULY 9, 2005: Arrival @ Polynesian & Magic Kingdom

My family (parents and my grandmother) left for Orlando @ 8:45 am from the Greenville/Spartanburg airport after spending three days in Spartanburg. Taking Delta Express, we arrived in Orlando around 11:45 am. After getting our bags, we were picked up by Star Transportation. Our driver's name was Boris and he welcomed us to Orlando. On the way to the Walt Disney World (WDW) Resort, I could feel excitement, anticipation and eagerness -- all in one. On the way to the resort, Boris was letting us know about the surrounding area and what to expect at WDW (like I didn't know). Anyway, I felt as if the drive was 500 miles away...but final we reached the sign: WALT DISNEY WORLD - HAPPIEST CELEBRATION ON EARTH, with Mickey on the left and Minnie on the right. I knew we had arrived and the excitement was overwhelming.

The van (we had a van due to our luggage and my grandmother's wheelchair) arrived at the Polynesian Resort. We walked into the Great Ceremonial House (GCH) and I must say -- the pictures of the place do it no justice! Seeing the exotic plants along with the sound of the waterfall was amazing! My dad and I checked in and received our leis to wear. Our room was 1948 in the Tokelau building...a great longhouse because it was close to the beach, the quiet pool, the arcade, the laundry room and the monorail station and the GCH. When we walked in the room, my whole family was amazed at the size and the garden view. Nothing like it!

As we unpacked our luggage, we headed on out to the Magic Kingdom. The convenience of the Poly Resort is the monorail station. We made our way into the monorail station and headed to MK. We arrived there about 2:40, and had to go through the security checking our bags and then popping our KEY TO THE WORLD ticket through the machine. I must admit -- putting the two fingers in the machine was strange, but after 9/11, everything is security.

Since we arrived close to 3, we decided to watch the Share Your Dreams Come True Parade....I rate it okay. I guess I remember the Remember the Magic Parade and enjoyed that one...but I must remember I was younger too! Anyway, we stopped at the Ice Cream Parlor for a traditional welcome home ice cream and then headed to Philarmagic -- that was fun! Then we went into Its A Small World (my grandmother really enjoyed that - so did I; its a classic). Then all of a sudden, torrential rains! The outerband of Hurricane Dennis pounded MK for a while...so we decided to go back to the resort and eat dinner at Kona Cafe! (GREAT FOOD)

SUNDAY, JULY 10, 2005 - EPCOT DAY

This was our EPCOT day. We started by having breakfast at Kona's. I had the talked-about TONGA TOAST. I have never had a large french toast loaf with banana baked inside with cinnamon...but it was delicious and very sweet! I could not eat it all. Once again, we headed to the monorail station for EPCOT. EPCOT is my favorite park because of its international and science focus. Since we had not been there since 2000, many things changed. When we arrived, we checked out our Leave a Legacy picture from 2000 - what a moment! Then we went into Innovations and I decided to go solo on Mission:Space.

I LOVED MISSION:SPACE! It was not as intense as I thought (by reading many posts) but it was just right! The launch is the most incredible! I then headed over to SOARIN' with my family. EVERYBODY loved it! EPCOT stepped it up this year....the line was not bad, but I wish I Fastpassed it! We then started to proceed into World Showcase...I don't know where the time went, but by the time we finished lunch and started to tour, we were in Japan and it was 7 pm! We decided to go back to Canada to see Illuminations and get a spot! I love that show...it was amazing as always. My grandmother never saw it and was truly mesmerized. After our long day, we went back to the resort and I watched WISHES that I didn't see in the park yet from the Poly Resort....that was great! I was standing by myself near the area where people get married...it was serene and I felt I had the view all to myself..nothing like it!

MONDAY, JULY 11, 2005 - MGM DAY

Today was MGM Studios Day and was it hot! We slept in a little, so we had a relatively late start - around 10:00 am. This time we had to take a bus which was interesting because of my grandmother in her wheelchair. It seemed like everytime we boarded a bus....all eyes were on us. It did take a longer time to get her on and off...but it is worth it. We arrived at MGM and the first stop was at the Guest Services Building...my dad's card was bent a little so he needed a new one! The first thing we did after looking at the time guide card was head to Indiana Jones. Although we saw the show before and it was the same ol' stuff, we just needed shade...that is how hot it was! After leaving Indy, we headed over to the LIGHTS, MOTORS, ACTION! Extreme Stunt Show that started around noon. This was the highlight at MGM. My family really enjoyed this show and was proud MGM added this attraction.

After the show, we needed something to eat and went in the area of the Rockin Roller Coaster for the great turkey legs. After our lunch and the drop fiasco, we headed to WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE PLAY IT! This is my grandmother's favorite show and we watch it with Regis on the GameShow Network. Well, the two guys that won were just odd. I don't know...questions that seemed to be common sense where not so common! Anyway, the host was very good and he couldn't believe how dumb they were. The studio looks just like the show...it is incredibly. BTW: it was air-conditioned! After the show, we went on the Backlot Tour - I didn't like it at all this go round....it so cheap compared to what is used to be. LightsMA took up most of its space, so seeing the houses of old sitcoms is gone...all you really do is see the Catastrophe Canyon sequence and see the backlot costume department.

Then we went into Voyage of the Little Mermaid - classic and air-conditioned...remember it feels like 110 Degrees outside. The Art of Disney Animation was boring until we went into the outer area to record...that was fun for what it was worth. The Walt Disney Exhibit was well done and I learned a lot about the man and the history of Walt Disney. My family then sat to catch the DISNEY Stars and Motor Cars Parade by Chevrolet...that was pretty cool....to see Darth Vader in person....can't beat that. After the parade, torrential rains again...so we decided to leave. No, I did not go on Rockin Roller Coaster (not a coaster fan), did not see Beauty and the Beast (you know the story, you know it) and did not go Tower of Terror. But the park was fun and I was impressed by the Lights Motors Action show!
Dinner was at Kona -- we just loved that place at Poly!

TUESDAY, JULY 12, 2005 - DOWNTOWN DISNEY/GRANDMA'S B-DAY

My family left on the bus again, but this time to Downtown Disney (DD)- A Metropolis of Fun! :) Anyway, this bus ride seemed as if we were going to Miami! The ride was relatively long, but it allowed us to see other parts of the property including Port Orleans Riverside Resort (formerly known as Dixie Landings) where we stayed in August of 2000. While on the bus, we enjoyed reading the signs posted that said Hip (with a picture of people dancing at a club) and then Hop (with a stuffed bunny from one of the DD stores); it was good, clever promotion.

When we finally arrive at DD, we go into the shops. We took some pictures and then went into WORLD OF DISNEY. What a store...I remember in 2000 going in and saying this was incredible! We waited to buy souvenirs there to have them delivered home. We also stopped in the new Goofy's Candy Shop. It was great in there....the smells, the candy and the fudge! We had to be ready around 3 because we had lunch/dinner reservations at FULTON'S for my grandmother's birthday. The food at Fulton's was excellente! The service was outstanding and did I mention the food was great....

After taking our time to eat and see out of their windows of the ship (which the restaurant is in), we headed to one more store (Christmas Store) before going to see the Cirque Du Soleil La Nouba show at 6 pm. First of all, we had perfect seats (Orchestra, center, with a compartment black bar fence around us because it was handicap accessible. We had the best seats in the place! YOU MUST SEE LA NOUBA! Yes, the tickets are expensive...but the show was out of this world! I heard some people talk about they didn't understand the story line....I personally don't see why that is the point. The acrobiac moves, the music, the comedy and the set design was incredible. SEE LA NOUBA!!!!

After the La Nouba show, we headed back to our resort for dessert at Captain Cooks and went to bed around 10. We were tired but it was a great day and my grandmother enjoyed her birthday!

WEDNESDAY, JULY 13, 2005 - Day @ Poly, Ohana's, FANTASMIC

Too often when staying in a Deluxe Resort, people don't spend enough time there to enjoy it. Well, we did! We woke up and walked around the resort, chilled in our room, chilled on the beach and took in the atmosphere all day. I didn't get to go into the pool because there were too many kids (and adult kids) playing around...so I decided just to relax. Later in the afternoon, I took the monorail to the Grand Floridian Resort to check out the layout. Although the Grand Floridian is nice, I prefer the Polynesian Hawaiian theming. I checked out the Contemporary, which lacks theming. Later, we ate at Poly's own Ohana's! What a restaurant and what food!! The starters they bring out (shrimp wontons, mesquite chicken wings, the salad, the bread...it was great! Then the meal -- the pork, the chicken, the shrimp and the beef on skewers, grilled just right, with the right seasoning! I really enjoyed it! One of the best restaurants on Disney property!

We then headed out to MGM to see the FANTASMIC show that we missed on Monday night due to the rain. The show was good..but before the show, some international groups were having their own concert and it was becoming a competition between one group and another. It was getting annoying and then some got up and said USA! USA! (which I thought was unnecessary, seeing we are in Florida)..but besides that...the show was great. The effects were amazing and it was a nice way to end the evening.

THURSDAY, JULY 14, 2005 - EPCOT, ANIMAL KINGDOM and then...EPCOT

My family returned to my favorite park to take our time around World Showcase. In the words of my mom, we felt like we were on a grill ready to be served at a BBQ. It was ridiculously hot!! Anyway, since we arrived early, I went on SOARIN again and went on MISSION:SPACE. When 11 am arrived, we entered the showcase. We viewed Canada, UK, France, Morocco, Japan, Italy, Germany, Norway, China, Mexico, and peeked into the American Adventure. We enjoyed going into Morocco and shopping in the Japanese store. We then headed out to ANIMAL KINGDOM.

I must say this was our mistake. I thought EPCOT was bad regarding the heat....this place felt like a furnace! But, we headed out to Tough To Be A Bug! I love that show! We didn't stay long since we missed a showing of FESTIVAL OF THE LION KING. We did check out Camp Minnie Mickey and we saw the building of Expedition: Everest. Everest is going to be a great attraction in 2006! The reason for a fast departure was our dinner reservations at BOMA's at the ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE. Although the Polynesian is my favorite, AKL was amazing! The theming and the architecture was astounding....I felt like I stepped into Africa. Once we arrived, we shopped in the ZAWADI store. When we arrived to eat at BOMA's...the food was different and some of it was good...but it was not my favorite. I felt it was too exotic for my taste and I was expecting an Ohana feast.

After BOMAs, we went back to EPCOT to see Illuminations again! That is how much we love that show!!! :)

FRIDAY, JULY 15, 2005 - LAST DAY - HAVE TO GO TO THE MK!

We woke up early and did everything this day...we checked out Main Street USA; saw CINDERELLABRATION (which is an okay show, but I would rather see other characters than princesses); watched THE HALL OF PRESIDENTS; ate lunch at COSMIC RAYS STARLIGHT CAFE with the talking amontronic guy; went to STITCH's GREAT ESCAPE (a waste of my precious time; really - don't see it); SPLASH MOUNTAIN; saw the parade again (in the sweltering heat) and then went to eat dinner at THE PLAZA Restaurant (limited menu but good food for what we ate).

In the evening, we watched SPECTROMAGIC! and THE WISHES Fireworks Spectacular. We decided to get some ice cream and Rice Krispie Treats before leaving for the evening. We returned back to the resort to get some sleep for the next day.

SATURDAY, JULY 16, 2005 - LEAVING ORLANDO FOR NEW JERSEY

After reading this, I know you must think we were disappointed. But, funny enough, we were ready to go home! Not in a negative sense, but I truly enjoyed being there and now it was time to return home. Especially spending three days in South Carolina and seven days in Florida, home seemed like a foreign land. Star Transportation picked us up at 5:45 am to arrive at the airport around 6:00. Our flight was at 7:10 am. When we were leaving the resort grounds, I was thanking God for the opportunity to be here after a five year hiatus. There are so many people who pray to go to Disney World, and for whatever reason (whether financially, physically or mentally) cannot go. My family had the opportunity to visit a place where joy abounds and attractions are numerous.

When we arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport, I was thankful that we had a blessed trip full of memories and great times. WHAT A TRIP!

Thanks for Reading.....

jackiepetrillo

Thanks for the great trip report. I totally enjoyed everyday's story line. We were there from the16th to the 23rd. The day you left we began.. I have not posted my report as yet. But I will work on it this week. It was as you said HOT HOT HOT. Also we had alot of unplanned realities happen. One of which my husband got really sick with the flu it was sooooooo crazy. BUT he is doing great now and God is so awesome, he is making it possible for us to go and see it this time with all the trimmings. We can hardly believe it.
We are going again November 26th thru Dec 3rd.

We have never eaten at Ohana but one of our married daughters does every year and raves about it as well. I am seriously thinking of doing just that next time around. AlSO loveeeee the poly.
We are hoppers too and I was fascinated by your hopping. So I have logistic questions for you. Perhaps you can steer me in the right direction.
When you left Animal Kingdom Lodge( we share your yuk to the Boma ewwwwwww never again....) to go to Epcot for illuminations, what time did you arrive and how, and also where did you stand or were you able to sit in Mexico? I have always been paranoid about not being able to see. One year we stood my the fence and had trees blocking us and we literally stood for over an hour an a half to save that spot.
Second question is what time did you have dinner reservations at Ohana and what time did you leave for MGM and arrival time at MGM allowing you a place to sit.
The last two times we went to illuminations we ate at the Rose and Crown so we can sit and watch and the food was expensive and not good at all. Then we did the fantasmic packages, Mama Melrose twice and Brown Derby once and would love to be adventuresome and try your method. But I need time lines.
Look forward to hearing from you.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Thanks for sharing your trip.
We arrived the day after you left...and fully sympathize with your heat story, except that in returning to NJ...you must have brought the heat with you as the following week it was hotter in NJ than Orlando :lol:

nuroad

Original Poster
You are absolutely right! We did not have a reprieve in New Jersey either! But, the trip was amazing!

nuroad

Original Poster
Reply to JackiePetrillo

Thanks for reading the report. Here are the answers to your questions:

When you left Animal Kingdom Lodge( we share your yuk to the Boma ewwwwwww never again....) to go to Epcot for illuminations, what time did you arrive and how, and also where did you stand or were you able to sit in Mexico?

Answer: First, I am glad we went to Boma's to see the Animal Kingdom Lodge. But, I would never eat there again...it just didn't suit my appetite! :) Anyway, to answer your question...we had dinner reservations at Boma's at 5:30 pm. We left around 7:00 and took the bus to Epcot. There are no other options from getting to AKL to Epcot. Since it was raining, we did not feel like parading around World Showcase. Instead, we were stationed right before the Canada Showcase, and it was great viewing!

Second question is what time did you have dinner reservations at Ohana and what time did you leave for MGM and arrival time at MGM allowing you a place to sit.

Answer: We had dinner reservations at 5:00 for Ohana's and left for MGM around 7:30 for Fantasmic! Please be aware however -- our party had my grandmother with a wheelchair, so our sitting area was at the top right in the middle. We had the best view in the arena, but I would suggest arriving at MGM earlier (around 7 pm), waiting for the next show (which is late - 10:30, if available) or do not make dinner reservations for Ohana's and then go to MGM...make it for a separate day. I say that because you want to enjoy Ohana's and not feel rushed to see a show. I would rather you enjoy Ohana's and its atmosphere, browse the shops and consider Fantasmic for another day or go the Magic Kingdom to see Wishes. You can hop on the monorail from the Polynesian and get there to see the show at 10. These are my suggestions! :)
I hope I answered your questions!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom