Notes from my visit 3/27/12

I made a trip up yesterday to visit Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Just wanted to share a few of the things I noted:

Animal Kingdom:

- First time I've made it there pre-opening since they killed the welcome show. One guy making a short welcome announcement at the gates, and another at the holding area on Discovery Island in front of the Tree of Life. They should have kept some sort of welcome show and character interaction, even if they cut back overall. Having two random cast members welcome you is lackluster to say the least.

- Crowds at the park yesterday were very manageable in the morning, despite it being Spring Break. Insides of stores were empty, lines weren't too bad (10 minutes at Dino at 11 a.m.) and even Africa didn't seem packed to the gills with people.

- Expedition Everest was completely lacking any form of the Yeti. No B mode, no disco mode... nothing. And the animated projection and accompanying sounds were also not working... leaving a very quiet ride. Rode twice, both times the same. On the first ride, two kids in the row in front of me made the comment "Wasn't there supposed to be a yeti on there?" as we came back into the station.

- Saw zebras on Kilimanjaro for the first time since 2007! They were on a hill way in the distance after crossing the bridge right before the clay pits. I can't wait to see their new habitat in the coming months. Also saw the white rhinos out... first time I've seen them in awhile (just my luck always missing them, it seems)

Magic Kingdom:

- Made it in the gates around 1 p.m., and noticed on both signs under the train station that it said 12 a.m. closing, despite the Times Guide and everyone else saying 11 p.m. So i stopped in Guest Relations and asked the Cast Member. She said it was 11 p.m., but would double check. She asked the other Cast Members at the desk in the corner, and came back and said "You're right, it is now a midnight close. Thanks for letting me know, because it was news to me" and she laughed. I tried to log on my phone to post here, but couldn't connect. Thankfully DisneyInsider got my text and was able to post the news.

- Spring Break crowds were definitely here. Not the worst I've seen in the last few weeks, but definitely up there. At 1:30ish Jungle Cruise was at 65 minutes, Pirates 45 minutes, Splash 90 minutes. Pirates was down at 3 p.m and 7 p.m. when I went past... but it did reopen later.

- Crane was working on the mine train coaster, which of course has been posted about elsewhere with pictures.

- Went out to Tom Sawyer's Island and relaxed for an hour at Aunt Polly's on one of the rockers. Ya, that's a great place to be on a busy day, just enjoying the goings on across the water.

- Liberty Belle definitely needs its upcoming refurb. Lots of chipped paint and board rot along the back and bottom, which of course is expected since it runs in water and all :lol:

- Scrim still up at Chapeau, and at the Bakery. The Bakery now has the photo scrim (last time up there for me it was still the plain brown one).

- Heard several people complaining about Big Thunder being down for refurb. Here's hoping its not delayed.

- First time I've ever heard the park-wide PA system used at MK. They announced the extended closing once in the afternoon.

- Got a bus to myself from MK to French Quarter at 5:15 p.m. Decided to exit the crowds for dinner.

- Noticed on several occasions in the MK, especially in Tomorrowland, smokers lighting up wherever they felt like it.

- Took pictures of the new posters up around the walls of Storybook Circus, I will post those later.

- Club 626 was hopping. I might get flak for it, but its really kinda neat. Gives teens (and anyone) a chance to dance and enjoy popular music. With characters dancing along. And a decent DJ. Detracts a little from the surrounding experience yes (especially along PeopleMover), but only in the evening when its hopping. Just wish I was with someone who danced last night :lol:

- Crowds were gone after Wishes, got to run around in the last hour and a half and hit a number of attractions with little or no wait. (Pirates twice, JC, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Snow White, and Winnie the Pooh)

- Power saws a roaring over the Chapeau at 12:15 a.m. So they are doing work overnight.

- Express Monorail was not running at 12:20 a.m. They were cycling on the beam, but all guests were directed to the Resort Monorail (the ferries were also running).

Pictures coming later!

invader

Noticed that on Everest too yesterday. On my first three rides the yeti animation was there but didn't play. On my last four rides it was completely off and just shows a bare wall. So much for that I guess.. :brick:

nepalostparks

Original Poster
The new posters in Storybook Circus:

3_27_001.JPG

3_27_002.JPG

3_27_003.JPG

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Water tower and buildings at the railroad station getting worked on:

3_27_010.JPG

Psst... Meg can see you:

3_27_011.JPG

Steel supports for the new mine coaster over the walls near the carousel:

3_27_012.JPG

A quaint colonial village.... wait a minute:

3_27_013.JPG

WDW1974

Hey ...hate to be picky and all ...but shouldn't this be in the Trip Report section?

~Just keeping it fair!~

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I made a trip up yesterday to visit Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Just wanted to share a few of the things I noted:

Animal Kingdom:

- First time I've made it there pre-opening since they killed the welcome show. One guy making a short welcome announcement at the gates, and another at the holding area on Discovery Island in front of the Tree of Life. They should have kept some sort of welcome show and character interaction, even if they cut back overall. Having two random cast members welcome you is lackluster to say the least.

- Saw zebras on Kilimanjaro for the first time since 2007! They were on a hill way in the distance after crossing the bridge right before the clay pits. I can't wait to see their new habitat in the coming months. Also saw the white rhinos out... first time I've seen them in awhile (just my luck always missing them, it seems)

A certain safari driver I happen to know quite well ;) told me that they're slowly integrating the zebras back on to the reserve, so you'll be seeing them more and more in the time leading up to the opening of their new enclosure.

nepalostparks

Original Poster
A certain safari driver I happen to know quite well ;) told me that they're slowly integrating the zebras back on to the reserve, so you'll be seeing them more and more in the time leading up to the opening of their new enclosure.

Excellent news. I have an awesome shot from back in 2007 of them, one of my favorite images I've ever taken. I look forward to trying to capture new images again :D

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Definitely a little more open with the current work on the new restrooms and pathway between Fantasyland and Liberty Square:

3_27_017.JPG

I sincerely hope this new area will again include stroller parking for small world and Peter Pan, because walking through there now with the amount of strollers and people is tight.

Scrim at the Chapeau:

3_27_018.JPG

And finally, scrim at the Bakery:

3_27_019.JPG

TalkingHead

Expedition Everest was completely lacking any form of the Yeti. No B mode, no disco mode... nothing. And the animated projection and accompanying sounds were also not working... leaving a very quiet ride. Rode twice, both times the same. On the first ride, two kids in the row in front of me made the comment "Wasn't there supposed to be a yeti on there?" as we came back into the station.

Say what? The animation was broken and the ride wasn't 101? (Big surprise. :rolleyes: )

Time to do a Countdown to Extinction-style name change.

Should they go with Bird-on-a-Stick Mountain or The Really-Detailed-Queue-But-Not-Much-Else Coaster?

~WDW: Never Been Better~

invader

Say what? The animation was broken and the ride wasn't 101? (Big surprise. :rolleyes: )

Time to do a Countdown to Extinction-style name change.

Should they go with Bird-on-a-Stick Mountain or The Really-Detailed-Queue-But-Not-Much-Else Coaster?

~WDW: Never Been Better~

I'd prefer something like Six-Flags-Esque!

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Hey ...hate to be picky and all ...but shouldn't this be in the Trip Report section?

This is where I felt it belonged, but if the mods or Steve decide it should be moved, I would respect their decision. So much so that I wouldn't even feel the need to police other threads that I might feel are mis-categorized.

WDW1974

This is where I felt it belonged, but if the mods or Steve decide it should be moved, I would respect their decision. So much so that I wouldn't even feel the need to police other threads that I might feel are mis-categorized.

I don't 'police' the threads. Not my job.

But I recently put up an obervations thread (with news in it) and because some folks don't like my honest observations, they bitched and it was moved down to Trip Reports (where far fewer eyes are likely to gaze upon it).

I think either any/all trip reports that cover news or new things/issues at the parks should be up here ... but if not, it shouldn't be based on who gets the most complaints because of their viewpoints.

So, don't take it personally ... maybe I'll just post my thoughts up here based on your points and obervations?:shrug:

FWIW, there's a great TDR trip report (not written by me) that is getting no attention down on the Tokyo board now ... even though it should.

~Fair and balanced Spirit!~

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't 'police' the threads. Not my job.

But I recently put up an obervations thread (with news in it) and because some folks don't like my honest observations, they bitched and it was moved down to Trip Reports (where far fewer eyes are likely to gaze upon it).

I think either any/all trip reports that cover news or new things/issues at the parks should be up here ... but if not, it shouldn't be based on who gets the most complaints because of their viewpoints.

So, don't take it personally ... maybe I'll just post my thoughts up here based on your points and obervations?:shrug:

FWIW, there's a great TDR trip report (not written by me) that is getting no attention down on the Tokyo board now ... even though it should.

~Fair and balanced Spirit!~
Spirited Thoughts, News, Observations etc 442 posts and 25,135 views....not too bad for trip report ! :lol: :wave:

SeaCastle

Spirited Thoughts, News, Observations etc 442 posts and 25,135 views....not too bad for trip report ! :lol: :wave:

Weren't most of those views and posts clocked while the thread was under News & Rumors?

At any rate, thanks for the TR and update. It was very much an enjoyable read.

Magenta Panther

Hmm..."canine", huh? It's not often you see Goofy officially referred to as a dog. I remember a USA Today "interview" in which Goofy says he's the missing link between dog and man (the "interview" was part of the "Goofy Movie" promotion. Yeah, my memory is that good). So this frankness on the part of Disney is both surprising and kind of pleasing. Too often, Mickey and friends are treated as just human analogs by their parent company, and not as animals. To me, that kind of kills the cuteness factor. End of rambling...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Weren't most of those views and posts clocked while the thread was under News & Rumors?

At any rate, thanks for the TR and update. It was very much an enjoyable read.

Only the first 100 posts were under News....all the rest came from Trip Reports

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom