Not so magical

raven

*Ensure they employ happy CM - I saw so many miserable ones that lacked any enthusiasm, maybe they need to provide better pay or benefits for them. They're a huge part of the experience and it genuinely makes a difference.

Thank you for listing this one. I can't tell you how much of a difference this makes and how much the CM experience has declined over the past 10 years. Unfortunately, Disney isn't going to pay more. their theory is "If you don't want that wage there are 30 people behind you that will take it" and that's pretty much held over your heads. Plus the huge tax write-off for hiring people from poverty-stricken countries doesn't help either.

We all know there are a lot of CPs who are only there for the experience....or parties....or all the sex they can handle at their housing property. That's no secret (read Yik Yak any given day and see for yourself). But there are also a lot there to work honestly. The problem isn't the CMs, it's some management. :(

draybook

In the short term, yes. Doing both in the long term would be best.

You assume there would be a major drop in attendence and occupancy, but I doubt that given the park's current popularity and people's insistance to go during school holidays. Making the same amount of money from fewer people would be ideal for Disney, as it would mean easier operations. They already raise prices on other goods during peak periods, which is different from an across the board rate raise.

Something tells me that the almost unlimited special offers have a lot to do with the current popularity and crowds.

Goofyernmost

In the short term, yes. Doing both in the long term would be best.

You assume there would be a major drop in attendence and occupancy, but I doubt that given the park's current popularity and people's insistance to go during school holidays. Making the same amount of money from fewer people would be ideal for Disney, as it would mean easier operations. They already raise prices on other goods during peak periods, which is different from an across the board rate raise.
Just one comment on the thought that people insist on going during school holidays. Back when my kids were little and you needed to take the family someplace, be it vacation or family requirements you just called the school told them that you child would be out for a few days. Ask to have assignments given to fill in for the time missed and went about your merry way.

Now it takes an act of congress to get your child out of school during unscheduled times. And in their over-educated logic, they punish the child for something that the parent is doing, as if the student had any say in the matter. It's practically a criminal offense now. As my kids neared the end of their required educational obligation they were actually threatened by school officials to be denied graduation if they had unauthorized lost time. And they were both Honor Roll students. If people want to go, they have to go during school breaks. It's the only time that they can without a whole set of unpleasant results.

mousehockey37

Just one comment on the thought that people insist on going during school holidays. Back when my kids were little and you needed to take the family someplace, be it vacation or family requirements you just called the school told them that you child would be out for a few days. Ask to have assignments given to fill in for the time missed and went about your merry way.

Now it takes an act of congress to get your child out of school during unscheduled times. And in their over-educated logic, they punish the child for something that the parent is doing, as if the student had any say in the matter. It's practically a criminal offense now. As my kids neared the end of their required educational obligation they were actually threatened by school officials to be denied graduation if they had unauthorized lost time. And they were both Honor Roll students. If people want to go, they have to go during school breaks. It's the only time that they can without a whole set of unpleasant results.

Bingo!

Walt Disney World is most likely not an answer on any state standardized test.

Goofyernmost

As for CMs, most were happy, helpful, and doing their jobs well. One apologized for yawning, we chatted and discovered that he had worked until close the night before and opened that morning.
And the odds were that they had to stay even longer then they should have because some really sensitive Guests decided that they would stretch out their stay in the park as long as possible. After all they were on vacation and didn't have to get up and drive to work early in the morning. Wouldn't the world be a better place if people just gave a minutes thought to how their self centered actions affect others.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Bingo!

Walt Disney World is most likely not an answer on any state standardized test.
True, and more then likely the state standardized tests do not consider the value of experiencing life instead of just reading about it. It's no longer a problem for me and hasn't been for a lot of years now, but, it frustrates me how a school system can dictate how I raise my children and what I decide is a priority. It's one thing to intervene in the event of child abuse, but, this is not child abuse.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

And the odds were that they had to stay even longer then they should have because some really sensitive Guests decided that they would stretch out there stay in the park as long as possible. After all they were on vacation and didn't have to get up and drive to work early in the morning. Wouldn't the world be a better place if people just gave a minutes thought to how their self centered actions affect others.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: How dare you think about the employees!!!! LOL... Remember, it's all about all the money that people spent so it's demanded that the park have special hours and treatment for them.

draybook

And the odds were that they had to stay even longer then they should have because some really sensitive Guests decided that they would stretch out there stay in the park as long as possible. After all they were on vacation and didn't have to get up and drive to work early in the morning. Wouldn't the world be a better place if people just gave a minutes thought to how their self centered actions affect others.

No, but they most likely got up early on their vacation to make rope drop/opening. Are CM's not told upfront that they may work extended hours which TDO, not the guests, set?

mousehockey37

No, but they most likely got up early on their vacation to make rope drop/opening. Are CM's not told upfront that they may work extended hours which TDO, not the guests, set?

I have heard though that CM's have shown up for shifts and were told that the hours they were scheduled to work were extended. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hello,

It has basically left me thinking that I'm going to leave it for a good few years before returning. Some of it is not the fault of Disney - they can't do anything about rude South Americans (picked on them because they were so noticeably rude).

They could do lots to improve the experience and make it feel magical though :

*Assess the capacity limit and seriously consider reducing it - customer experience is as important as profit, right?

*Ban selfie sticks and iPads from the parks.

*Ban adults from putting kids on their shoulders during shows.

*Ensure they employ happy CM - I saw so many miserable ones that lacked any enthusiasm, maybe they need to provide better pay or benefits for them. They're a huge part of the experience and it genuinely makes a difference.

*Invest in the parks and attractions. I lost count how many times rides broke down and how many times we saw things that needed a lick of paint or a makeover.

*As a company, don't be so greedy and remember what made Disney great in the first place.

*Ban mobility scooters unless there's a genuine disability or ailment that requires one. I lost count of the amount I saw that were basically just fat. Yes I know they might have a medical condition but let's be honest, they probably haven't.

*Provide better and clearer organisation during key events such as parades and shows.

*With the current expansions going on make sure they're worthwhile and seriously consider some good changes at HS and Epcot - might take some heat away from MK.

*Ban people that dawdle or just randomly stop while walking which in turn causes issues.

That's it for now....

Obviously it becomes a bit less magical each time you visit anyway but these are my thoughts anyway!

The problem is society - not Disney. Rules can't be written fast enough for the rudeness and ignorance that runs rampant in today's society.[/QUOTE]

They can't ban the scooters and they can't ask for proof of disability. Off sight rental is so cheap that many are just renting them for the week causing buses to be greatly impacted. Disney jacked up the price so high like the strollers that it opened the door to companies to fill a realistic need for acceptable pricing. Now because of greed we are stuck with all the mega strollers and scooters on Disney Transportation.

CMs-My DS is a CM. During high season they are just tired and burnt out. Most working six days, some more if they pick up a shift. They are working very long hours. Look at how many times we see park hours extended...well that is mandatory overtime for the CMs. They try to have a life outside Disney too, we think of how tired we are with all the holidays bring, think of what the CMs are going through too in off time life and then coupled with the extra hours. Often a thank you or a kind word while passing will bring those smiles back. Guests at this time of year are kinda grumpy when they spend a couple hours in line for Space Mountain or Toy. Real Grumpy when a ride breaks down after they have been in it for an hour or two, the CMs take a lot of guff at this time of the year.

Banning the shoulder thing should happen, iPads won't with MME but you could ban all tripods and sticks in my World.

I think the events and parades are well staffed and are well organized. Disney even pulls in extra staff from outside the parks for crowd control beyond the assigned staff. There are ropes and tape. Don't know what else it would take to make guests any less confused.

Awesome! Another "not so magical" thread! I was having withdrawal and this cured me. Thank God.

The problem is society - not Disney. Rules can't be written fast enough for the rudeness and ignorance that runs rampant in today's society.

Ha! While I normally agree with you you are being a tad sensitive about a rather quick post about the less than magical things about Christmas at Disney. We all know it isn't all magical and we have always discussed the good, bad and ugly side of Disney on this sight.

Many of the problems are Disney fueled that the OP addressed. When Disney had acceptable prices for scooters and strollers it was rare for people to bring in a week long rental. Now with Disney Jack'n it up guests can rent cheaper for a week than rent from Disney. Where guests didn't always rent a scooter every day now thanks to greed of Disney they are going to use them. Disney need for tech devices for MME has brought more electronics into the parks that were not before. I have a flat monthly on my iPad and a data plan on my iphone. Of course I'm going to use the iPad too vs eating up my entire phone data because Disney can't launch a reliable WiFi. That is on Disney not the guest.

The CMs are very aware of the particular guests behavior that was mentioned in the OP post. The truth is these tour groups bring in a flush of cash and they will continue to turn a blind eye to the chants and disruption of groups from their during shows and attractions. They are not going to toss those guests or ban them. Money trumps. That decision is on Disney not the average guest.

Disney has sufficient rules. The problem is they behavior ones are rarely enforced. I do not fault the front line CMs as they don't have the support of the higher ups. They want happy guests and the CMs to maintain order. They can't have both. Either Disney gives the front line CMs the power to call security and have them removed or have they continue to let these tour groups act rude. Currently guests have to be beyond awful to be tossed. The majority of this type of tour group behavior is just ignored by Disney. Choosing to ignore the pushing and shoving, body touching in line, bad behavior during shows is on upper level Disney Management shoulders not the average guest. The rest of us can complain but the complaints are ignored and the tour groups never get a learning curve. Disney being ambivalent about their behavior condones it in their mindset. That is not the average guests fault it is a Disney business choice of money over order.

draybook

I have heard though that CM's have shown up for shifts and were told that the hours they were scheduled to work were extended. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I can see that happening but I'm not sure how that's the fault of the "self-centered" guests.

mousehockey37

I can see that happening but I'm not sure how that's the fault of the "self-centered" guests.

If that was in reference to my post, I was being sarcastic, but it does seem that some people go to WDW with the expectations that the park will be open the hours they want it to be and not what is posted.

draybook

If that was in reference to my post, I was being sarcastic, but it does seem that some people go to WDW with the expectations that the park will be open the hours they want it to be and not what is posted.

So what happens when they (TDO) changes the hours to be less than what people plan on? Does that make TDO to be self-centered? Given how much planning Disney practically forces you to do now that should be something to think about too. In either scenario, TDO or park management are the culprits, not the CM's or the guests.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Sure they are. My DS working 8 hours can figure he might get extended to 10 over the holidays. But midshift when they are extended another 2 hours that they are not always prepared for. In many cases around the holidays that could mean just being more tired the next shift that will start in less than 12 hours after 6 straight days of it or unexpected missing a family Christmas dinner that was put off so they could be there after 10 hours now 12.

I think what many forget is during the holidays they extend and extend some more is hard on these CMs vs hiring more full time employees. They are coming off very long hours because of the vast amount of Christmas Parties Disney is now packing in and it starts in so early now in September and through half of December between the two parties at the MK. You have bus drivers working long hours in very crowded conditions, restaurants staying home extra long, laundry facilities taxed by the volume of guests, pools open longer to accommodate the longer park hours. Just because they know it could happen doesn't mean they will be any less sleepy or desire a few hours to be with their families during the fall and winter months.

We all do better at our jobs when we have a life aside from our jobs. CMs are not any different.

mousehockey37

So what happens when they (TDO) changes the hours to be less than what people plan on? Does that make TDO to be self-centered? Given how much planning Disney practically forces you to do now that should be something to think about too. In either scenario, TDO or park management are the culprits, not the CM's or the guests.

As others are mentioning, it's the entitlement of today's society. No one will ever claim the responsibility, the buck will just be passed along. Most of changing hours to be less are done far enough in advance. It's more prevalent to see hours extended no more than with 24 hours notice.

I don't know about Disney policy but at my employer, we have to be told of any schedule change (Mandatory overtime) by lunch the day prior. If the manager forgets and tells us after lunch, we can look at them and say no (as it is then turned in voluntary overtime).

Yes, the planning you have to do anymore is crazy. That said, with the system in place, it should be rather easy for updates/changes to be sent out through the system to alert guests.

draybook

As others are mentioning, it's the entitlement of today's society. No one will ever claim the responsibility, the buck will just be passed along. Most of changing hours to be less are done far enough in advance. It's more prevalent to see hours extended no more than with 24 hours notice.

I don't know about Disney policy but at my employer, we have to be told of any schedule change (Mandatory overtime) by lunch the day prior. If the manager forgets and tells us after lunch, we can look at them and say no (as it is then turned in voluntary overtime).

Yes, the planning you have to do anymore is crazy. That said, with the system in place, it should be rather easy for updates/changes to be sent out through the system to alert guests.

And again, it's not the guests changing the hours, it's management. The supply for the extra time in the parks is being driven by the customer(guests). This demand is created by offers, offering, etc by Disney. So, I'm failing to understand how there's a sense of "entitlement" by the customer when that's what business is all about. If anything, it's the company's inability to properly staff their parks.

mousehockey37

And again, it's not the guests changing the hours, it's management. The supply for the extra time in the parks is being driven by the customer(guests). This demand is created by offers, offering, etc by Disney. So, I'm failing to understand how there's a sense of "entitlement" by the customer when that's what business is all about. If anything, it's the company's inability to properly staff their parks.

If one person sees that someone can shop after the park is "closed", that creates entitlement that others can do the same. This then creates a scenario where people push how long they can stay in the park after it is "closed". This leads to CMs having to stay longer than necessary because people feel they are entitled to stay in the park well after it is "closed".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom