Not going w/ mother-in-law again

ThinkTink721

Well, this year's trip was better than last year in regards to my mother-in-law.
Last year, she was rude to a waitress & complained the entire trip about almost everything.
I was hoping that this year would be better, but that was not the case.
This year was a little better than the year before, but I think it was only because we did not see her very much.

Here's the scoop: This year, she & her hubby decided to take my niece along. My niece had never been to WDW & they figured this may be her only chance to go. After they asked her to go, all my MIL did was complain that my niece was going. She complained that she would have to do to accomodate my niece on the trip. My MIL is very close to my niece, so I thought that she would enjoy the trip more w/ her there, but that was not the case. I really felt sorry for my niece. My MIL tried to talk her out of going on rides that she wanted to go on (I think because my MIL does not ride many rides). We, my family & I, offered several times to take my niece w/ us so that she could do more. My niece only saw about 1/4 of WDW during her 11 day stay. I was heartbroken. Of course, my niece didn't know the difference. She did enjoy the pool at the resort, but they kept her in the resort room most of the time. She missed Spectromagic, Wishes, & several other big attractions. I just felt so sorry for her.

Needless to say, my mother-in-law did not book for next year.

Hey!...If you can't be happy at WDW, then you just can't be happy anywhere!

Thanks for listening!

:wave:

YankeeMouse

We have learned only go to Disney with other Disney "freaks" like us. My sister brought her sister in law once on a "girl's only" trip without husbands. My sister, adult niece and I are Disney nuts, and I'll never forget the look on the sister in law's face as we hoofed it through The Studios to get to Fantasmic on time. She was shocked, like, I'm on vacation, what are you guys doing. Outsiders do NOT understand that sometimes things cannot be leisurely so that you can have a better time in the long run, and experience more attractions. Another time we traveled with friends during the holidays, and the picture my husband snapped of me looking at the Gingerbread House in the Grand Floridian shows me with my mouth literally open, in wonder at the magic. My friend's arms are crossed and she looks totally bored. Needless to say, we experience these things without these buzzkills now! It's just better to travel there exclusively with someone who "gets" the magic.

Upvote 0

LoriSue

I love my MIL, she "gets" the magic and at 71, keeps up better than my 59 year old mom. My problem when ML goes her son. More specifically, my husband but bring her along on the trip and my husband suddenly forgets how to do anything for himself. He's not the fastest guy either and forget about breakfast reservations. Doing our own thing and meeting later in the day is out of the question because he thinks we have to E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G together. Wait, maybe I could bring MIL and leave DH...

Upvote 0

Todd L

I have to tell you. My wife and I were thinking about doing a Family reunion for my side of the family at WDW for last summer.
We are a Brady bunch family- my mom remarried 25 years ago to a great guy who had 4 kids from his 1st and My mom had 4 from hers.
We are all maried with kids and live all over the country and thought maybe a week at disney for the 34 of us would be a blast. Yes I said 34.
Within a very short period of my dw and I making plans the headaches and heartaches began.
With few exceptions was any help offered. Everytime we would go any where for a family function we would be cornered by various Family members who would run off their demands to us-
"I wont go unless we stay here"
"Ill only go if I dont have to stay next to HER room"
"Ill only go if you guys can get us a better price"
"I dont want to go when I said I wanted to go because I now have a wedding to go to so change all the plans for 34 people to accomodate me going to a wedding for someone I hardly know"
"I dont want to stay at that resort because its too expensive/not nice enough/Dont like the pool/Dont like the dining/Stayed there 2 years ago and the room wasnt as nice as the pictures in the ads"

Sadly none of that is made up. we heard everyone of these comments and tons more.

The phone did not stop ringing and we never even got far enough to nail down a Date.

We got so fed up with it that we told them all we were cancelling our plans to go as a family union and wound up making plans to go this year with my wifes family. we also made sure that they understand that we will need our own space and they expressed the same to us. Nice to deal with rational people. Grandma and grandpa are taking the kids for a night or 2 and we will do the same in return.

So I can feel for you having Family Issues. Its ridiculous that one unhappy person can make a week at the Happiest place on earth not so happy.
Dont allow her to be a part of your future trips. Youll all be happier for it.

Less than 7 weeks to go and we are all sitting in the house watching disney movies all day getting excited.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom